PDA

View Full Version : Snake Venom

Exeson
2008-09-01, 10:44 AM
Si I have to write a chemistry essay on a subject of my choice. I have chosen the chemistry behind snake venom.

I have done some basic research but I feel like a need more before I can write a proper essay. I am therefore asking people in the playground if they could supply me with any links that they feel would be useful. I would also appreciate a breakdown of the topic that either explains or leaves out excessively long words. :smallsmile:

Cookies will be fed to helpful people. :smallsmile:

Lord Herman
2008-09-01, 10:49 AM
Wiki! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_venom)

Obvious, but useful.

I can haz cookie nao?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-01, 11:15 AM
Snakes
Strangle snakes - venom snakes

What we be handling today will be the the venom of venom snakes.
Obviously venom snakes kill their prey with their venom, but how does that venom work?
Sometimes it has a paralysing effect, clots blood or just plain EATS your flesh.

DD used to know all of this stuff, including fancy words and such, but sadly he forgot, and even sadder, Herman already linked to wiki.

So DD would be very happy with a cookie.:smalltongue:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-09-01, 11:38 AM
Allow me to assist. Here is your essay:

"Snake venom is very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, (continue until word count is almost met), very bad because it contains a deadly chemical, dihydrogen monoxide."

I can haz cookie nao 2?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-09-01, 11:39 AM
I'd suggest going to your local library and inquiring about material on the subject. I would highly suggest not using Wiki. While the information is probably good, it is not a credible source of information.

Lord Herman
2008-09-01, 11:44 AM
Also, watch Snakes on a Plane. If your teacher doesn't think it's a reliable source, just remind them Samuel L. Jackson is in it.

Edit: As for Wikipedia, you might want to check out the sources used for the Wikipedia article. Even if the article itself isn't entirely accurate, chances are those sources are.

Exeson
2008-09-01, 12:31 PM
it contains a deadly chemical, dihydrogen monoxide."

I can haz cookie nao 2?

Har har har....no.

Everyone else gets cookies.

well okay Bor, you can have one too, but only this once.

phoenixineohp
2008-09-01, 07:20 PM
This may deserve a batch of cookies. (http://www.venomdoc.com/)

There are also several types of venom, so you may want to be more specific about which one you will be focusing on.

de-trick
2008-09-01, 08:36 PM
not sure if this is true or not, but I heard since rattle snake venom attacks the blood, you can drink it and have no ill effects, besides a sore stomach, but if thats true it would be pretty sweet

Destichado
2008-09-01, 09:00 PM
not sure if this is true or not, but I heard since rattle snake venom attacks the blood, you can drink it and have no ill effects, besides a sore stomach, but if thats true it would be pretty sweet

Most likely true; and most likely the same reason you can drink cobra venom and live during some drinking contests. You'll go partially numb and break out in sweats for a while, but you live.

Mx.Silver
2008-09-01, 09:11 PM
There are also several types of venom, so you may want to be more specific about which one you will be focusing on.
This^

There are lot of different varieties of venom employed by different species of snake throughout the world. Trying to pin-down what type(s) you intend to look at is important.

Bandededed
2008-09-01, 10:21 PM
There are lot of different varieties of venom employed by different species of snake throughout the world. Trying to pin-down what type(s) you intend to look at is important.

Unless you need a nice, long, paper. Then again, this is for chem, so maybe not.