PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Gustav and His Girlfriend Hannah and Their Children, Ike and Josephine

Phae Nymna
2008-09-01, 12:23 PM
Hey yall, I, as you know, live in New Orleans, and I wanted to ask if anyone else was taking damage from Gustav. I'm currently on the second floor of my house listening to the wind rush and sing as branches snap off trees with sickening sounds of tearing cloth and breaking bones. Earlier, my mom opened the front door to go on the porch and the sudden wind speed blew the ransom above my door open, breaking a pane of glass. Other than that, DAMAGE FREE! (Woohoo!) I type this little blab to you from a dying laptop with my only source of internet powered by a decent sized Honda Generator. Happy Day. :smallannoyed: Anyway, wishing you well, whoever you are, and I hope you take little damage from this deadly couple. :smallsmile:

Current Weather:

-Little Rain
-Strong Gusts (Still Weaker than they Predicted)
-Plant Debris Flying
-Houses Intact *phew*
-Some Idiot has vessels anchored in the industrial canal
-WOAH BIG GUST :smallfrown:
-EEP!!!! :smalleek:
-Okay, calm again. :smallcool:
-It's not so much dangerous here as INCREDIBLY BORING. :smallannoyed:
-No Flooding (So Far) (HALLELUJAH!)

Alrighty. Well... Hoping the best for fellow tuffin-it-out-philosophy followers.

LIVE FROM NEW ORLEANS, ITS LUNCHTIME, MONDAY!

P.S. Sorry about the bad formation of this post and the condition of my sig at they moment. Sort of shaken up.

Kaelaroth
2008-09-01, 12:29 PM
Apologies for my naivete, but shouldn't you be fleeing? "RUN FOR THE HILLS" seems to be the message we're getting from you guys over here in Fair Britannia.

May you keep safe, lad!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-01, 12:31 PM
Your fake copycat dikes will most likely not hold.

I suggest you RUN FOR THE HILLS!

DraPrime
2008-09-01, 12:32 PM
I thought they evacuated New Orleans :smallconfused:

randman22222
2008-09-01, 12:33 PM
I woulda gone to Arkansas if I were you. :smallconfused:
Hope it goes okay. When I still lived in Louisiana, I had to evacuate for one hurricane; I don't remember which.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-01, 12:33 PM
Currently one 1,1 million people, that's not the whole population of New Orleans.

Miraqariftsky
2008-09-01, 12:37 PM
Blow ye hurricanoes
Crack thy cheeks, O tempest!
Let pour the hellgates' flood
This assurance to thee I give
By troth of faith and wisdom
You will be well.

---from a man who gets several storms of that magnitude seasonally, year in and year out...

Thes Hunter
2008-09-01, 12:44 PM
Looking at the predicted storm track, New Orleans is probably going to be ok, with some minor damage.

But the people in Terrebone, Lafourche, Jefferson and Plaquemines Parishes, aren't going to be so lucky, especially closer to the coast.

I thoughts and heart go out to everyone effected, and I hope everyone gets through this as best as possible.

Good to hear how you are doing Admiral Walrus.

randman22222
2008-09-01, 12:50 PM
Oh ****. La Fourche is gonna be hit? :smallfrown:

I have old friends there. :smallfrown:

Thes Hunter
2008-09-01, 01:05 PM
@^ *hugs* I hope your friends are alright.

Looking at the Forcast Map (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?5day#contents), it looks like Terrebone is taking the brunt of it. I hope everyone is ok, but there goes more coastline that Katrina and Rita didn't take away.

Phae Nymna
2008-09-01, 01:07 PM
Okay, so er... 1) Sorry DD, New Orleans is MUCH smaller. 2) Yes, they did call a mandatory evacuation. However, a mandatory does not mean that you must leave, it simply means that you may not have fire, police, electrical, or medical services if you decide to stay. 3) I refuse to Run to the hiiiills! Run for my liiiife! My house has survived 130 years of fickle Louisiana weather, including Katrina. AND it's in the Uptown neighbourhood, also known as the spot Katrina forgot, the sliver by the river and so on. My neighborhood is good. Other might not be. 4) NEW ORLEANS IS STILL A GREAT CITY COME HERE BUT DON'T GO TO BOURBON STREET IT SUCKS, IT SMELLS, AND BEING JAMMED BETWEEN FRAT BOYS, WHORES, AND GAY BEARS DRESSED AS COWBOYS IS NOT PLEASANT. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY WRETCH ALL OVER YOU. *ahem* Thank you all so much and I hope for everyone that they are safe too.

d'Bwobsling
2008-09-01, 01:54 PM
Your fake copycat dikes will most likely not hold.

I suggest you RUN FOR THE HILLS!

I second that:smalleek:

Ethrael
2008-09-01, 02:27 PM
I respect your decision to stay, there are loads of factors which convince people to stay. I'm praying for minimal damage from this Hurricane, the "mother of all storms". Oh and if anyone's hanging onto the hope that the forecasted path will be right, I suggest you don't. There've been hurricanes in the past which have doubled up on their paths as many as 4 times.

Archonic Energy
2008-09-01, 02:56 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/upcoming_hurricanes.png

ahhh. is there a situation that doesn't have an XKCD comic ready?

Best of luck to any effected persons

wxdruid
2008-09-02, 10:54 AM
Very amusing picture of hurricane tracks, to bad some of them actually look like that.

My friends who live in Foley, Alabama have made it just fine. Talked to her last night. I've been watching the weather for her area. Initially they forecast 50-60kt winds, but the reality was 30-40kt winds and that's not to bad for where she lives. Rainfall is a bit high, but she hasn't flooded out yet. There have been a lot of tornado warnings, but only a few actual sightings/reports of tornadoes or funnel clouds.

alexeduardo
2008-09-02, 10:56 AM
I live in Chihuahua, which is lovely little town in northern Mexico.
AND IT'S RAINING!
RAINING!!!!

Ethrael
2008-09-02, 03:12 PM
I heard New Orleans was spared yesterday. Yay for one place for now...

Still praying for everyone else. Oh and is this one counted as Category Two?!

wxdruid
2008-09-02, 03:45 PM
Looks like Gustav was a Category 3 hurricane and went down to a Category 2 hurricane just before landfall in LA around 10am on Monday morning.

HURRICANE GUSTAV INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 31B
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072008
800 AM CDT MON SEP 01 2008

REPORTS FROM AIR FORCE RESERVE AND NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT
INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 110
MPH...175 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. THIS MAKES GUSTAV A CATEGORY
TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGE
IN STRENGTH IS LIKELY BEFORE LANDFALL...WITH WEAKENING EXPECTED TO
BEGIN AFTER GUSTAV MOVES INLAND LATER TODAY.

Phae Nymna
2008-09-02, 03:58 PM
WOOHOO, CITY'S SAFE!

Unfortunately, my internet modem committed suicide. I'm posting this on the porch of a local coffee shop (shh! they're not actually open, but they let us use their interwebs). I only have partial power (I have to supply lines.) in my house right now, so I've been invited to keep my best friend's house cozy for him. (He has power, AC, food, TV, and *possibly* interwebs.) So, /FB/, I take my leave and wish everyone safety as these storms hit. Also, you may notice a change in title to accomadate this ridiculous weather.

P.S. WOOHOO!! School's out till monday! (And not because of flooding or wind damage!)

Mando Knight
2008-09-02, 04:26 PM
Wait, the hurricane after Hannah is going to be named Ike? :smalleek:

Hope it doesn't have friends for which to fight! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-M_G_785k)

mangosta71
2008-09-03, 07:50 PM
There's a downside for a lot of people who were evacuated to Arkansas. Bunch of people are being housed in the local convention center, much like they were for Katrina. And, just as they did during that time, the city's inhabitants see a bunch of vehicle with LA plates and break into them. I may test CE on every alignment test out there, but even I wouldn't stoop that low. I mean, they would take anything valuable inside with them anyway, so what's the point?

celestialkin
2008-09-03, 08:09 PM
Looking at the predicted storm track, New Orleans is probably going to be ok, with some minor damage.

But the people in Terrebone, Lafourche, Jefferson and Plaquemines Parishes, aren't going to be so lucky, especially closer to the coast.

I thoughts and heart go out to everyone effected, and I hope everyone gets through this as best as possible.

Good to hear how you are doing Admiral Walrus.

Weren't one of those the place I heard about on the news where an evacuation was mandatory, yet only about 1% of the population listened?

Anyone else hear something like this?

Kaihaku
2008-09-03, 08:41 PM
Hurricane Gustav and His Girlfriend Hannah and Their Children, Ike and Josephine...

Hurricanes these days have no decency... Not even married but flaunting their two children. The shame.

On a more serious note, glad to hear you weathered the storm safely. I grew up in the south and hurricane season can be...yeah.

celestialkin
2008-09-03, 08:44 PM
Hurricane Gustav and His Girlfriend Hannah and Their Children, Ike and Josephine...

Hurricanes these days have no decency... Not even married but flaunting their two children. The shame.

I sooo wanted to say that line, but the one time I hold back out of respect/shame someone does it in the very next post. :smallbiggrin:

Collin152
2008-09-03, 08:45 PM
I fear this storm is going to ruin the name Josephine.
Which may ruin the chances of gettign people to perform HMS Pinafore.

skywalker
2008-09-03, 08:52 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/upcoming_hurricanes.png

ahhh. is there a situation that doesn't have an XKCD comic ready?

Best of luck to any effected persons

It's too bad we just had a hurricane "screw it let's just trash florida."

Like, literally. :smallmad:

celestialkin
2008-09-03, 08:55 PM
Which may ruin the chances of gettign people to perform HMS Pinafore.

What?

Also, I am glad Fay turned out to be a dud. I kept thinking Fey every time I heard it. :smallbiggrin:

Collin152
2008-09-03, 09:03 PM
What?

The main female lead in HMS Pinafore is named Josephine.

celestialkin
2008-09-03, 09:17 PM
The main female lead in HMS Pinafore is named Josephine.

Oh, OK.

But what is HMS Pinafore?

Collin152
2008-09-03, 09:26 PM
Oh, OK.

But what is HMS Pinafore?

Gilbert and Sullivan Opera, subtitled "The Lass who Loved a Sailor". Romantic comedy, and quite good.

Volug
2008-09-03, 10:21 PM
Hurricane Ike: "Prepare yourself!"

That Hurricane fights for his friends, and gives sympathy to no one.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg191/ferretXVII/HurricaneIke.jpg

Mando Knight
2008-09-03, 11:00 PM
If only the Gulf Coast could distract it with an insane king on a dragon or a goddess of order...

...Ooh! I know! Threaten to make it the general of a coalition force of a continent of medieval civilizations if it doesn't go away!:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Missouri's practically covered in Gustav's corpse. Take a look! (http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/) Guess I'm going to have a lot of rain for a while...

Ethrael
2008-09-04, 01:12 AM
Were you hit by any wind force over there though, Mando?

Mando Knight
2008-09-04, 08:30 AM
Nay, I don't think it has enough integrity left for massive wind forces. It's mostly rain. A lot of rain.

Telonius
2008-09-04, 03:14 PM
Oh goody, Hanna's supposed to hit us (DC area) on Saturday early. Good thing I hadn't planted all the grass seed yet!

Mando Knight
2008-09-04, 03:37 PM
...And now Gustav's mostly over Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan...

My roommate took a pic of the Weatherchannel.com map when Missouri was covered in Gustav, I may post that sometime...

Volug
2008-09-04, 05:37 PM
You have no time to ponder such things, and Hurricane Ike just got the smash ball.

Hurricane Ike: Great WAETHER!

celestialkin
2008-09-04, 05:50 PM
Well, good luck guys.

We might need some here in Florida as well.

wxdruid
2008-09-04, 05:50 PM
We're getting the last of Hurricane Gustav this evening. It's been pouring on and off all day long. We've had a little wind, but 30 knots isn't really that exciting.

I'm rather glad I'm not on my way to South Carolina right now, then I'd be waiting for Hannah and Ike.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-09-04, 06:44 PM
We're getting the last of Hurricane Gustav this evening. It's been pouring on and off all day long. We've had a little wind, but 30 knots isn't really that exciting.

I'm rather glad I'm not on my way to South Carolina right now, then I'd be waiting for Hannah and Ike.

No, 30 Knots is actually kind of boring.
50 knot winds, however, I find very enjoyable! :smallbiggrin:
Alas, no interesting typhoon right now over here. You over there in the States enjoy your destructive forces of nature!

LordVader
2008-09-04, 06:47 PM
I thought they evacuated New Orleans :smallconfused:

Yes, but they can't make you leave, so some people stayed for whatever reason.

Must have been a wild ride.

Watch out for Hurricane Ike, he could use his side-B and dash across the country at a moment's notice! :smalleek:

mangosta71
2008-09-04, 07:06 PM
Gustav was nothing. Sure, it rained for four days straight, but not a particularly heavy rain. Only knocked the power out once.

Mando Knight
2008-09-04, 07:07 PM
Watch out for Hurricane Ike, he could use his side-B and dash across the country at a moment's notice! :smalleek:

Aye, but don't underestimate the power of his neutral-B. It's gotten more foes than you'd think.

LordVader
2008-09-04, 07:27 PM
Gustav was nothing. Sure, it rained for four days straight, but not a particularly heavy rain. Only knocked the power out once.

Well, that's good.

Still, the idea of sitting through any hurricane, even a so-called "weak" one, is terrifying. Major props to all of the people along the coast who decided to stay, that takes serious guts.

wxdruid
2008-09-06, 07:26 PM
Well, Hanna is on her way up the east coast with tons of rain.

Ike is on his way towards the southern tip of Florida and the New Orleans to Mobile area... I hope it curves to miss that area.

RTGoodman
2008-09-06, 07:27 PM
Hanna was VERY disappointing, for me at least. I was expecting rain and cooler temperatures all day, but by the time I got up today it was bright, hot, and sunny. :smallannoyed:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-09-06, 07:50 PM
I've seen the tail end of a hurricane once...

That's what I get for living in Toronto: no interesting weather.