PDA

View Full Version : I get *one* spell What should it be?

Frosty
2008-09-01, 01:23 PM
In a campaign I've been playing in for a long time, I read some wierd ancient artifcat book and it granted me the ability to learn one level 7 (or lower) arcane spell from any school, and any arcane casting class. I'm currently a Beuilger14/Mindbender1. What spell should I take? A fort-save-or-die (like Glass Strike)? A no-save-just-suck (not sure if ther eare any besides Ottos dance and Enervation)? A buff like Superior Resistance (we're in an extremely low-wealth campaign)? What would you do if you have beguiler that has thus far focused on making his save DCs high in order to get those enchantment spells to work?

insecure
2008-09-01, 01:27 PM
Disintegrate! It always works when you can't perade/dominate those annoying people.

kamikasei
2008-09-01, 01:28 PM
Limited Wish?

fractic
2008-09-01, 01:29 PM
Versatility is allways a good thing. Get something you don't allready get from your beguiler casting. You've got plenty save or X spells allready. Get something fun you normally couldn't get.

[edit]:
Oooh limited wish. Me likey.

Anxe
2008-09-01, 01:31 PM
Chain Lightning?

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-01, 01:31 PM
What does Glass Strike do? Magnificent Mansion could be useful here.

Frosty
2008-09-01, 01:37 PM
Glass Strike save Fort-Save-or-be turned into Glass (effectively die). Works on Objects too. By the way, we're in a very, very DEMON-heavy campaign. So I expect tons of spell resistance. Good thing is I already learned Assay Spell Resistance through another way. I also already have Orb of Fire.

chain-Lightning would be BAD in a demon-centric campaign. They are immune to electricity.

Anxe
2008-09-01, 01:39 PM
If you're in a demon campaign how about Banishment?

xPANCAKEx
2008-09-01, 01:40 PM
What does Glass Strike do?

turns em to glass for duration, fort neg, and applies all damage to them after spell ends. Items they carry left intact

Kurald Galain
2008-09-01, 01:42 PM
Shadow Evocation. Mimics a wide variety of spells, and doesn't cost you XP the way wishes do.

Grynning
2008-09-01, 01:44 PM
Pretty sure Beguilers can get Shadow Ev. anyways. He's looking for something not on his class list.

only1doug
2008-09-01, 01:47 PM
Glass Strike save Fort-Save-or-be turned into Glass (effectively die). Works on Objects too. By the way, we're in a very, very DEMON-heavy campaign. So I expect tons of spell resistance. Good thing is I already learned Assay Spell Resistance through another way. I also already have Orb of Fire.

chain-Lightning would be BAD in a demon-centric campaign. They are immune to electricity.

I agree with
Magnificent Mansion could be useful here.
if you are in a demon heavy campaign then you should take mages magnificent mansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesMagnificentMansion.htm): completely safe rest every night.

Frosty
2008-09-01, 01:48 PM
If you're in a demon campaign how about Banishment?

What are you kidding? *Another* Will save or die? And in a school that I don't have Spell Focus on? Will-saves are the LAST thing Beguilers need more of. Good Idea, but the Cleric in our party already it covered.

streakster
2008-09-01, 02:00 PM
I like Phantom Steed, myself. But that's just me.

bosssmiley
2008-09-01, 02:06 PM
Shadow Evocation. Mimics a wide variety of spells, and doesn't cost you XP the way wishes do.

This, or greater shadow conjuration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowConjurationGreater.htm) (wiz/sorc 7) for massive cheese potential. :smallbiggrin:

Prometheus
2008-09-01, 02:07 PM
Well if you wanted to be cheesy you'd find a prestige class with a spell-list that would let the "7th" level spell be something you'd be more likely to find in 8th level or the "arcane" spell to not really be arcane at all. I don't know my PrCs that well though.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-01, 02:07 PM
How would Greater Shadow Evocation be that cheesy? Thanks for explaining what Glass Strike does (I still think MMM would be brilliant here).

SydneyLosstarot
2008-09-01, 02:17 PM
I'd agree with greater shadow conjuration.

or maybe a Defenestrating Sphere for the sheer fun of it =)

Saph
2008-09-01, 02:21 PM
I'd go with Disintegrate. All-purpose obstacle remover, and perfect against undead (which Beguilers hate). However, Superior Resistance is also a great, great spell if you have trouble getting access to magic items.

Elemental Body is lots of fun, too. And then there's Greater Teleport . . . Too many choices, really.

- Saph

Edea
2008-09-01, 02:22 PM
Hehe, maybe Body Outside Body, or Giant Size? Or perhaps Arcane Spellsurge. Celerity's another choice (level 4), but the dazed part afterwards gets a bit annoying.

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-01, 02:33 PM
How often can you cast this spell? And is it just like learning a regular spell or are there any other things (Is it an SLA for instance?) that might be nice to know?

Eldariel
2008-09-01, 02:35 PM
Others have already said it: the chance to learn Limited Wish isn't something you wanna skip. -7 to save (one of the best ways to take down Dragons is Limited Wish to drop its saves, then Assay Resistance its spell resistance and bring the beast down with a SoD), healing, resurrection, blasting, fort save-or-die, utility, anything you need for a manageable cost (300xp means you won't be spamming it, but it'll be a small price to pay for saving an ally, preventing TPK and overall just doing everything Beguiler quite can't do).

Mr.Bookworm
2008-09-01, 02:40 PM
Howabout Wages of Sin, 6th level, from the BoED?

Causes 1 evil creature per level to attack it's allies.

If you don't like it, I second Limited Wish.

Jack_Simth
2008-09-01, 02:44 PM
Howabout Wages of Sin, 6th level, from the BoED?

Causes 1 evil creature per level to attack it's allies.

If you don't like it, I second Limited Wish.

Which, incidentally, can DO Wages of Sin....

Frosty
2008-09-01, 02:53 PM
How often can you cast this spell? And is it just like learning a regular spell or are there any other things (Is it an SLA for instance?) that might be nice to know?

The spell is added to my spells known as a level 7 spell. As a Beguiler, I can then spontaneously cast it as long as I have level 7 spell slots left.

I'd go with Disintegrate. All-purpose obstacle remover, and perfect against undead (which Beguilers hate). However, Superior Resistance is also a great, great spell if you have trouble getting access to magic items.

Elemental Body is lots of fun, too. And then there's Greater Teleport . . . Too many choices, really.

- Saph

Yes, there ARE WAY too many choices. But I've decided against damage spells. I've already got an Orb of Fire that I can empower, so there's no point in getting Distintegrate which gives a SAVE.

Others have already said it: the chance to learn Limited Wish isn't something you wanna skip. -7 to save (one of the best ways to take down Dragons is Limited Wish to drop its saves, then Assay Resistance its spell resistance and bring the beast down with a SoD)

This is a very good point. Does the enemy get spell resisteance when I try to give it -7 to its next save?

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-01, 02:56 PM
This is a very good point. Does the enemy get spell resisteance when I try to give it -7 to its next save?

Prolly. Ask your DM, the rules are sorta ambiguous.

Eldariel
2008-09-01, 02:59 PM
Limited Wish does allow Spell Resistance, so very likely. That said, you've got Assay Resistance and plenty of spells per day, so profit.

fractic
2008-09-01, 03:01 PM
Limited wish allways has spell resistance even if you are mimicking the effects of another spell. Under save and such it's says see text but under spell resistance it just says yes. No see text or anything.

Animefunkmaster
2008-09-01, 03:03 PM
Wizard List:
Acid Fog: No save, No spell resistance, they just suck and take damage.
Greater Teleport: I always liked the teleport line of spells.
Force Cage: No save, no sr, just stuck, long duration... cost money every time you cast though
Simulcrum: Tired of charming people... make a buddy.

Bard List:
Greater Shout: damage, multiple status effects, the downside is two saves. But it is an auto deafened which may drop there initiative (depending on dm)
Irresistible Dance:No save or suck... hard. The best part is the dancing. Low duration though.

Depending on if there is a wizard in the party: Contingency, Greater Dispel Magic, or antimagic field may be a good choice. If this where me I would go with either Acid Fog or irresistible dance. Something about no save/screwed spells that make me very happy.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-09-01, 03:04 PM
A great utility spell is Summon Monster 7. You can Summon a Movanic Deva from the Fiend Folio which can Raise Dead for free. Other useful spells like Commune, Etheral Jaunt, Hallow and Planeshift has bunches of other spell like abilities.

With SM7 and reviewing a Summoning Thread you can get a lot of spell like abilities from summoned monsters without losing any experience in the process. Make a few 3 by 5 cards and you are set.

Edit: Check out the Malconvoker link below at WOTC for the Summon Moster Spells where the SLAs are listed at the end of each Summon Monster III+ in the thread:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=13677754

Greater Shadow Conjuration could be interesting.

Despite the experience point cost Limited Wish would provide a lot of spellcasting utility in a pinch.

Any Spell Greater could be useful with a little planning if you could get it.

Possibly the Adept Heal since it is a hypbrid class blending arcane and divine.

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-01, 03:08 PM
Issac's greater missle storm. It is AMAZING! No save, and no SR, for (I belive) 1d6 damage per level.

Frosty
2008-09-01, 03:11 PM
Do I really need Acid Fog if I already have Solid Fog? The damage doesn't excite me that much.

Force cage would be GREAT...if we weren't in an extremely low wealth campaign.

I already have Irresistable Dance from another source. Only problem is, I'm not sure how many immunities the DM will pile onto the final boss. If he says the BBEG is just flat-out immune to enchantments (without having spells like mindblank) I'm going to be PISSED. I would've went for something like Enervation, but I'm worred about that thing being immune to negative levels too.

The others in the party: A Swordsage/Monk/Master of 9, a Paladin/Knight of the Chalice, a Cleric/Contemplative (this player is new and isn't very tactical at all.), and me.

Toliudar
2008-09-01, 03:11 PM
I echo the vote in favour of greater teleport, although MMM and Wall of Force would be excellent options.

Edit: Do beguilers get dispel magic or greater dospel magic? If not, and the cleric/contemplative is not necessarily the best-versed in tactics, greater dispel would add tremendously to your ability to debuff, and deal with problem situations.

Frosty
2008-09-01, 03:12 PM
I echo the vote in favour of greater teleport, although MMM and Wall of Force would be excellent options.

Our Cleric already has the Travel Domain and can cast Greater Teleport.

Eldariel
2008-09-01, 03:14 PM
Seeing that Limited Wish gets you all the effects you want for one spell and makes beating big bads much easier, I feel it's the clear choice. There are other spells that are good, but nothing else is as versatile (Greater Anyspell would be, but it's Divine).

Jack_Simth
Do I really need Acid Fog if I already have Solid Fog? The damage doesn't excite me that much.

Force cage would be GREAT...if we weren't in an extremely low wealth campaign.

I already have Irresistable Dance from another source. Only problem is, I'm not sure how many immunities the DM will pile onto the final boss. If he says the BBEG is just flat-out immune to enchantments (without having spells like mindblank) I'm going to be PISSED. I would've went for something like Enervation, but I'm worred about that thing being immune to negative levels too.

The others in the party: A Swordsage/Monk/Master of 9, a Paladin/Knight of the Chalice, a Cleric/Contemplative (this player is new and isn't very tactical at all.), and me.
You're the only arcanist in the party?

That clinches it - Magnificent Mansion. You want to be able to rest up.

Don't worry too much about being unable to affect the BBEG directly in the final battle. You've got two melee character in the party, and plenty of buff spells on your list - buff your allies when the time comes.

fractic
Issac's greater missle storm. It is AMAZING! No save, and no SR, for (I belive) 1d6 damage per level.

That sounds really bad TBH. Is it auto-hit? AoE?

Animefunkmaster
2008-09-01, 03:24 PM
You don't need acid fog if you have solid fog, that is true. Then I would like to + a summoning spell. With such a wide variety of spell like abilities you can nab, the versatility is high.

Also, Do you have anything against polymorph?

Frosty
2008-09-01, 03:25 PM

I believe it's a spell from Neverwinter Nights 2 that is an area spell that only hits enemies (# of enemies hit depends on Caster level I think). Auto-hit, no save (I am not sure about SR).

Jack: Yes, I am the *only* Arcanist in the party. It's really annoying not having a Wizard or sorcerer. A beguiler doesn't quite fill the role of an arcanist. OTOH, my gaming group has learned just how good beguilers are at playing the support role.

Speaking of support, my other choice is Ray of Entropy. 6th level Ray attack. 1 min/level. Subject takes -4 penalty to Str, Con, and Dex and it offers no save, but SR = yes.

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards Limited wish just for the "take -7 to my next save" thing.

Frosty
2008-09-01, 03:28 PM
You don't need acid fog if you have solid fog, that is true. Then I would like to + a summoning spell. With such a wide variety of spell like abilities you can nab, the versatility is high.

Also, Do you have anything against polymorph?

I personally don't have problems, but our group doesn't like summoning, and I have a feeling Polymorph will be VERY restricted on what I can morph into. Probably just to things in the MM1. Same thing with Summon Monster. Only MM1 stuff allowed.

konfeta
2008-09-01, 03:30 PM
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Isaac's_greater_missile_storm
http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Isaac's_Greater_Missile_Storm

If you are wondering for exact stats. It's been nerfed in NWN2 because it was ludicrously overpowered in original NWN.

turkishproverb
2008-09-01, 03:36 PM
ONe spell?

Transmute Rock to blood pudding. -Hackmaster 4th edition

IF that doesn't work. Go with limited wish.

fractic
2008-09-01, 03:37 PM
Transmute Rock to blood pudding. -Hackmaster 4th edition

:smallconfused: what?

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-01, 03:37 PM

It is indeed auto hit, and no SR or Save.

It was also in another book (not only NWN) so I'll look for it.

Frosty
2008-09-01, 03:50 PM
I wonder if I can use the Chain metamagic with Limited wish. That'd be funny. Give all enemies within 30 feet a -7 to next save.

mabriss lethe
2008-09-01, 03:59 PM
What about one of the Arcane Fusion spells from the Sorc list? Cast two spells at once. what's not to love?

Frosty
2008-09-01, 04:05 PM
Hmm...Arcane Fusion *might* be good...but I don't really cast that many first level spells anymore...

Chronos
2008-09-01, 04:08 PM
[Mordenkainen's] Magnificent Mansion is a bit over-rated... You can get basically the same effect from an extended Rope Trick. Or, for that matter, an eternal wand of extended Rope Trick, and you don't need to have the spell at all. The Mansion just has a little more style to it.

And while Limited Wish has fantastic versatility, it also has an XP cost. It's not enough to make it completely unusable, like with Wish, but it's still enough that you definitely don't want to be casting it every day. Then again, though, you do already have a fair number of other options for 7th-level spells, so it might be a good idea.

turkishproverb
2008-09-01, 04:13 PM
:smallconfused: what?

Just like it sounds. Transmutes rock into the desert food known as blood pudding.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-09-01, 04:19 PM
In an open game Summon Monster 7 because it gives a Beguiler so many more options without any nuisance mechanical tracking costs (-300 EXP per use like Limited Wish) in game unless you get to Veto the feats for the other PCs in game.

Greater Shadow Conjuration has a lot of Utility duplicating Shadow Conjuration up to 6th level and 60% real since it probably isn't your first choice for Beguiler - 19 Advanced Learning. Acid Fog and Summon Monster 6 and below (Summon 5 SM6 creatures):smallsmile:

Limited Wish is nice but has less utility at 300 EXP but not an issue if the party doesn't level perfectly except right after leveling.

Frosty
2008-09-01, 04:21 PM
My DM has a habit of saying "Ok, you get just enough exp to level to level x" after an adventure, so there are some times when I don't have spare EXP. Maybe I can petition to NOT level to level 20, so I'll enter the fight a level less, but I have ALL the exp in the world to spam for the final fight.

fractic
2008-09-01, 04:22 PM
Just like it sounds. Transmutes rock into the desert food known as blood pudding.

I figured, ... still ... :smallconfused: what?

CASTLEMIKE
2008-09-01, 04:24 PM
My DM has a habit of saying "Ok, you get just enough exp to level to level x" after an adventure, so there are some times when I don't have spare EXP. Maybe I can petition to NOT level to level 20, so I'll enter the fight a level less, but I have ALL the exp in the world to spam for the final fight.

Limited Wish has less utility in that type of game. DM can I use it yet?

Ralfarius
2008-09-01, 04:32 PM
I had always thought of blood pudding as more of a European food than a desert food. Can't beat a good ol' sausage stuffed with blood and offal.

turkishproverb
2008-09-01, 06:39 PM
I had always thought of blood pudding as more of a European food than a desert food. Can't beat a good ol' sausage stuffed with blood and offal.

Your right, it's just been so long since I had it I stuck with the pudding term.

I figured, ... still ... :smallconfused: what?

Oh, trust me. That's nothing. More spells?

Aura of Innocence
Dispel Body Odor
Fireball, Nuclear Winter

Ralfarius
2008-09-01, 08:13 PM
Your right, it's just been so long since I had it I stuck with the pudding term.
Actually... I was getting at the fact that you spelled desert (i.e. hot, dry, sandy place) rather than dessert (tasty after-meal pastry, etc). But it's true, it's also more commonly a main-course kind of thing.

Yahzi
2008-09-01, 09:47 PM
Prestidigitation!

:smallbiggrin:

Sinfire Titan
2008-09-01, 09:47 PM
This, or greater shadow conjuration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowConjurationGreater.htm) (wiz/sorc 7) for massive cheese potential. :smallbiggrin:

Shadow Miracle has more cheese than GSC. Thus, Silent Image is the better spell to have.

nargbop
2008-09-01, 10:16 PM
+1 vote for Limited Wish.

Ranis
2008-09-01, 10:28 PM
What classes are the other members of your party? If I were you, I'd analyze something that was missing or that someone in your party couldn't replicate easily.

Frosty
2008-09-02, 10:01 AM
The other spellcaster is a cleric. Arcane spells is ALL me.