PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Jill-of-all-trades

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-01, 01:45 PM
Saw a bit of demand for a feat like this so here goes.

Jill-of-all-trades
Requirements: Int 13, May only be taken at 1st level.
Effects:Choose 4 Skills. (Core) These skills become class skill for you.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-01, 02:03 PM
Might want to change the name as there is already a Jack of All Trades (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Jack_Of_All_Trades,CAd) feat.

Also, why those skills in particular are left out?

AstralFire
2008-09-01, 03:15 PM
This thread feat is ridiculously powerful. So many strong skills that you have access to at once.

Well, I'm a Human Fighter Int 13 for AoO madness! Time to make awesome use of the free martial scroll boost, an inability to get AoOed ever, diplo/bluffomancy for everyone and no one will ever be able to lie to me. (We can also get Druids who now not only can change sex and species, but are masters of Japanese Rope Bondage! Go Use Rope and Perform!)

...Well, Fighters aren't that great anyway, but seriously, I can't think of one that wouldn't take this feat. They have tons to spare and it shores up a bajillion weaknesses. Getting virtually all skills as class skills is insane and totally beats out the Able Learner feat (already very powerful) for most things.

insecure
2008-09-01, 03:20 PM
Some suggestions:

Add int 13+ to the requirements.

Make it only affect a few self-chosen number of skills, and you can't choose skills presented in splatbooks.

AstralFire
2008-09-01, 03:23 PM
Some suggestions:

Add int 13+ to the requirements.

Make it only affect a few self-chosen number of skills, and you can't choose skills presented in splatbooks.

With the exception of Iaijutsu Focus, splatbook skills aren't particularly powerful against core. (IF in particular needs to be focused on to break, and its breaking points are easy 'common sense' points to fix up, so I don't see it pass many DMs for long.) I don't see the point in limiting it, like I said in the other thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4835814&postcount=16

I definitely agree with 'select a number of skills' (two would work). I could go either way on the Int thing, Int's already one of the workhorse feat ability scores.

insecure
2008-09-01, 03:32 PM
With the exception of Iaijutsu Focus, splatbook skills aren't particularly powerful against core. (IF in particular needs to be focused on to break, and its breaking points are easy 'common sense' points to fix up, so I don't see it pass many DMs for long.) I don't see the point in limiting it, like I said in the other thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4835814&postcount=16

I'm more leaning towards a UMD and Martial Lore user, but I can see your point, and I think that the skills you can chose don't have to be limited, unless you can chose a lot of different spells.

So, what I mean is:
You should be able to chose among all skills, unless you can chose a high number of skills.

I hope you understood what I meant.:smalltongue:

AstralFire
2008-09-01, 03:36 PM
I'm more leaning towards a UMD and Martial Lore user, but I can see your point, and I think that the skills you can chose don't have to be limited, unless you can chose a lot of different spells.

So, what I mean is:
You should be able to chose among all skills, unless you can chose a high number of skills.

I hope you understood what I meant.:smalltongue:

I see what you're saying. That's a bit difficult to balance, though, and even harder to word neatly for a feat.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-01, 03:37 PM
This thread feat is ridiculously powerful. So many strong skills that you have access to at once.

Well, I'm a Human Fighter Int 13 for AoO madness! Time to make awesome use of the free martial scroll boost, an inability to get AoOed ever, diplo/bluffomancy for everyone and no one will ever be able to lie to me. (We can also get Druids who now not only can change sex and species, but are masters of Japanese Rope Bondage! Go Use Rope and Perform!)

...Well, Fighters aren't that great anyway, but seriously, I can't think of one that wouldn't take this feat. They have tons to spare and it shores up a bajillion weaknesses. Getting virtually all skills as class skills is insane and totally beats out the Able Learner feat (already very powerful) for most things.
Just though I might mention all this would mean is the human fighter with 13 int... would merely get 4 skills to max in.

I'd say take a level in Expert, choose any skill you like, and then take fighter. The fighter will never be able to put ranks to all of them, just the specific ones, which is basically what this feat would allow.

AstralFire
2008-09-01, 03:45 PM
Just though I might mention all this would mean is the human fighter with 13 int... would merely get 4 skills to max in.

I'd say take a level in Expert, choose any skill you like, and then take fighter. The fighter will never be able to put ranks to all of them, just the specific ones, which is basically what this feat would allow.

Yeah, it's merely 4 skills - 4 much more powerful skills than the Fighter gets normally. I think that's worth a bit more than one feat when you compare it to even the later feats affected by... I won't say power creep, so much as a power paradigm shift. The Fighter with these four skills is not the New Hotness, but he's so fantastically better that the feat has become basically mandated. If you want to mess with issues any of the classes have with skill access, expending a feat to get carte blanche access isn't the way to fix it. Introducing this feat isn't overpowered in the sense that those equipped with it will be Gods so much as it's just too obviously optimal to be a mere option.

Said simply, a feat you always (or never) want to take needs a redesign.

And a level in Expert is a bit more of an expenditure than a single feat.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-01, 04:45 PM
Alright, changed the name and limited it to 4 self chosen skills. The intended purpose for this feat was so you wouldn't have all but one member of the party staring at something shiny whilst the only one with spot/listen as class skills is trying to solo a few orcs just a few feet away. Either that, or to allow people to take prestige classes without having to wait until level 12 just because they don't advance in one skill as fast as another.

Kredine
2008-09-01, 05:54 PM
I think this feat is good, but maybe a varible depending on your intelligence or similar. So the fighter won't get all the four feets but the intelligent wizard could?
Such as choose 2+ int mod core skills to a max of x
Something like that.
Personally I like the original idea, but hey.

Actaully, re reading a post I'm guessing it's already been altered.
But hey, theres my opinion anway.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-01, 06:40 PM
I dont see why that would be a problem. Since wizard has INT as it's primayry casting ability, it would make sense for the rules to only give him 2+INT skills to equailze him with the classes that dont prioritize Intelligence.