PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about the OoTS world

paladin_carvin
2008-09-01, 02:23 PM
1 Question-

Is it ok, appropriate, decent and or legal to use the OoTS world (the one with the snarl, the order, Azure city and more, the pantheons of ancient gods including a very amusing Thor) in a DnD/d20 game at home or in this forum?

[to answer 'legal', please link to something the Giant has said or otherwise point out the nature of real world law.]

Thrud
2008-09-01, 02:28 PM
Well, legality only ever really comes into play if you try to profit off of someone else's work. Home use is never covered by law. That, however, doesn't really cover politeness. You might just want to send him an email, or ask one of the mods to speak to him about the issue. ALWAYS make sure you give credit to the creator of whatever concepts/ideas/characters you are borrowing, however.

Chronos
2008-09-01, 04:24 PM
Well, legality only ever really comes into play if you try to profit off of someone else's work. Home use is never covered by law.Home use can actually be covered by law. Whether something is for-profit is one of the considerations for Fair Use under copyright law, but the Fair Use clause does not actually lay out what combination of conditions is necessary for something to count as Fair Use. The law is left deliberately vague, so that a judge can still rule against someone attempting to use loopholes-- It's sort of like D&D's Rule Zero that way.

That said, running a game based in a highly-generic world like that of Order of the Stick in one's own house for a small group of people without profit would probably qualify as Fair Use; it's just not certain.

Thrud
2008-09-01, 04:31 PM
Home use can actually be covered by law. Whether something is for-profit is one of the considerations for Fair Use under copyright law, but the Fair Use clause does not actually lay out what combination of conditions is necessary for something to count as Fair Use. The law is left deliberately vague, so that a judge can still rule against someone attempting to use loopholes-- It's sort of like D&D's Rule Zero that way.

That said, running a game based in a highly-generic world like that of Order of the Stick in one's own house for a small group of people without profit would probably qualify as Fair Use; it's just not certain.

Yeah, fair enough. Fair use is needlessly convoluted.

However, if you are thinking about doing something online, that is a totally different kettle of fish.

And do make sure you give Rich creative credit.

snoopy13a
2008-09-01, 04:34 PM
There's a line when it comes to these things. For example suppose you buy a DvD.

A) Watching it by yourself- fine
B) Watching it with friends or family- fine
C) Lending it or selling- fine
D) Setting up a movie screen in your backyard and inviting your neighborhood for a free showing, not fine.

Posting or running an OoTS campaign on-line without The Giant's permission would be illegal. Running a private game in your home with friends is probably legal and if it isn't then it would be unenforcable.

The pantheon of the Northern gods is in the public domain so that isn't a problem. I don't know whether or not the 12 gods are or if they are The Giant's invention.

paladin_carvin
2008-09-01, 05:07 PM
Well, I know the '12 gods' are based on the Chinese zodiac. Various Asian religions give different importance to them, some not even considering them any form of 'being' but merely symbolic (much as the western zodiac; it's rare in any religion that they view the 13 signs as real beings, but they symbolize powers of fate that effect people)

I suppose this is a bit of a call to ask whom it may concern. I'd rather not bother Rich with a question like this if it isn't needed (especially since even if it is ok I'm not sure I'd use it now or later). With a throng of fans, I am hoping someone knows something.

Totally Guy
2008-09-01, 05:17 PM
Right, you all start in the town, nowhere.

Where? Anywhere?

No, nowhere?

Not anywhere at all?

Right.

I think I'll make an outdoorsy woodsman character.

Why? We're urban adventuring.

I thought we were in the middle of nowhere.

You are!

Can't see it being all that fun myself.

paladin_carvin
2008-09-01, 06:22 PM
Right, you all start in the town, nowhere.

Where? Anywhere?

No, nowhere?

Not anywhere at all?

Right.

I think I'll make an outdoorsy woodsman character.

Why? We're urban adventuring.

I thought we were in the middle of nowhere.

You are!

Can't see it being all that fun myself.

Actually, for that very reason I think it would be awesome (and I hadn't even though of that!)