PDA

View Full Version : Max Damage In One Round

kirbsys
2008-09-01, 03:40 PM
I want to see the maximum amount of damage that anyone can think of that they can pull off in one round. It has to be RAW, you can't pull in things that don't have DnD stats (like anti-matter or missiles), but other than that anythings fair. Unless you're using something that ensures max damage, use average damage for the attack.

My best so far is actually fairly weak: Sudden maximized, Energy Admixed, Twinned, Meta-Magic Rod Empowered, lesser fire orb. 240 damage total.

insecure
2008-09-01, 03:42 PM
I've seen a hulking hurler build that did about 50000 damage in one round on average...

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-01, 03:42 PM
The Crusader infinite damage trick?

Can't really beat that one.

NEO|Phyte
2008-09-01, 03:43 PM
I've seen a hulking hurler build that did about 50000 damage in one round on average...

Didn't CO get the hurler into the trillions of d6s worth of damage?

kirbsys
2008-09-01, 03:46 PM
The Crusader infinite damage trick?

Can't really beat that one.

That one doesn't work because as per RAW, you never get to quit rolling the dice. It has the potential to deal infinite damage, but never does because you never get to the end.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-09-01, 03:54 PM
That one doesn't work because as per RAW, you never get to quit rolling the dice. It has the potential to deal infinite damage, but never does because you never get to the end.

Another poster recently used this argument and was corrected shortly after, the re-rolling of the dice is optional so you can stop and deal an arbitrary amount of damage.

kirbsys
2008-09-01, 04:02 PM
Well then, I suppose that there really is no way to beat infinite damage.

fractic
2008-09-01, 04:04 PM
Well then, I suppose that there really is no way to beat infinite damage.

Of course there is: Larger amounts of infinite damage. The crusader trick only does an arbitrarely large number not actual infinite damage. But I doubt that you'd ever be able to do more then a countable infinite amount of damage.

Chronos
2008-09-01, 04:17 PM
That one doesn't work because as per RAW, you never get to quit rolling the dice. It has the potential to deal infinite damage, but never does because you never get to the end.I'm pretty sure that Aura of Chaos says "...you may re-roll that die", rather than "...you re-roll that die". So when you've gotten as much damage as you want, you just choose to stop re-rolling. You never actually get infinite damage, but you do get arbitrarily high damage, which is really just as good.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-09-01, 04:28 PM
Yeah. I have it open right here and it says "you can reroll" not "must reroll".

Even if it didn't you can always voluntarily end an action as a free action, so it's a moot point.

However, it's an infinite number of 1d2's. The Omnicificer gets his infinite damage all in one infinity-sized bonus to attack and damage, so there's always that.

If you want non-arbitrarily/infinitely high damage, you want Chuck the Wuby Windicator.

Ranis
2008-09-01, 04:31 PM
What is this infinite-damage Crusader trick?

fractic
2008-09-01, 04:33 PM
What is this infinite-damage Crusader trick?

He uses some abilities to reroll 1's on a damage die. Then to reroll a maximum result and add a new roll. Then he picks up a 1d2 weapon...

Eldariel
2008-09-01, 04:42 PM
Metamagic up a healing spell with Imbued Healing: Luck (Complete Champion), cast the healing-spell on a Crusader, go to Aura of Chaos (Tome of Battle), use any weapon with 1d2 damage die. Now you reroll all dice that roll max damage and you treat all 1s as 2s. So you reroll all dice.

This is of questionable legality though since while treating all 1s as 2s, you didn't actually roll the 2 and Aura of Chaos specifically talks about rolling. Still, this is the simpliest infinite damage-exploit in the game. Oh yeah, Locate City Bomb can deal pretty large numbers of damage too. I can't remember them. But yea, Chuck went into hundreds of billions I recall. That's not bad.

Deepblue706
2008-09-01, 04:42 PM
He uses some abilities to reroll 1's on a damage die. Then to reroll a maximum result and add a new roll. Then he picks up a 1d2 weapon...

...such as a halfling's fist...

Chronos
2008-09-01, 08:33 PM
Oh yeah, Locate City Bomb can deal pretty large numbers of damage too.It's not really all that useful, though. The Locate City bomb only works to full effectiveness on a featureless plain, since if you run into something solid (like a wall) before you leave the area, you take much less damage. And even then, it offers two saving throws, both of them very easy to make, and either of which completely prevents the umpteen-many dice of damage, so anyone who's reasonably powerful is likely to just shrug it off. And if you just want to kill the low-level commoners, you can do that with about five fewer metamagics on the combination: A casting or two of snowcast flashfrost Locate City will already kill most commoners.

AlterForm
2008-09-01, 08:43 PM
Check, the Ruby Knight Windicator (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=12657563&postcount=321), aka Chuck the Hulking Whirler, manages 1.85 trillion, give or take 65 billion, against a single target. He travels at 1533.505 mi/sec.

Chuck E. Cheese (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=993832) manages 75.6 Quadrillion damage to a single target, as well as incinerating 2/3 of the continental US with 12d6 fire damage (reflex half). He travels at 1,059,008,683 ft/sec, which is is roughly 1.08c. (Faster than the speed of light, for those who don't know)

Sholos
2008-09-01, 08:44 PM
Locate City bomb?

monty
2008-09-01, 08:44 PM
Oh yeah, Locate City Bomb can deal pretty large numbers of damage too.

Actually, that doesn't work. Locate City doesn't have a shape, so Explosive Spell doesn't work on it. I think there's a few other questionable points, but that's the main deal-breaker.

Sinfire Titan
2008-09-01, 09:21 PM
Metamagic up a healing spell with Imbued Healing: Luck (Complete Champion), cast the healing-spell on a Crusader, go to Aura of Chaos (Tome of Battle), use any weapon with 1d2 damage die. Now you reroll all dice that roll max damage and you treat all 1s as 2s. So you reroll all dice.

This is of questionable legality though since while treating all 1s as 2s, you didn't actually roll the 2 and Aura of Chaos specifically talks about rolling. Still, this is the simpliest infinite damage-exploit in the game. Oh yeah, Locate City Bomb can deal pretty large numbers of damage too. I can't remember them. But yea, Chuck went into hundreds of billions I recall. That's not bad.

Chuck needs scientific notation to accurately express his average damage.

75.6 Quadrillion

That sounds about right. He broke the Hulking Hurler's record, after all.

Arbitrarity
2008-09-01, 09:28 PM
Once more...
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=573196
Total damage > (2.5*10^36530)^^73600 using Knurth's up arrow notation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth_arrow)
Yeah, that goes beyond scientific notation. However, those few thousand buff rounds may mean not quite 1 round. The action itself, however, is one round.

AlterForm
2008-09-01, 09:32 PM
Once more...
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=573196
Total damage > (2.5*10^36530)^^73600 using Knurth's up arrow notation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth_arrow)
Yeah, that goes beyond scientific notation. However, those few thousand buff rounds may mean not quite 1 round. The action itself, however, is one round.

I never fail to laugh at the 3rd post in that thread. :smalltongue:

Dr Bwaa
2008-09-01, 09:38 PM
I never fail to laugh at the 3rd post in that thread. :smalltongue:

Same here :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-09-01, 10:04 PM
The 1d2 Crusader has an effect which causes all rolls of 1 to be counted as though they were rolls of 2 instead. That means every roll is always a 2, regardless of what the actual die roll ends up as. Therefore, you don't actually roll any dice for damage as the result is always the same.

It is not an arbitrarily large amount of damage, because it takes no time whatsoever in-game or OoC to calculate the damage. You never have to "stop rolling" because nothing is rolled in the first place, it's simply counted as the only possible result. Therefore, it actually is infinite damage.

Does this challenge count damage dealt to yourself? Because I'm sure someone could manage to deal infinite damage to himself multiple times in one round. Just use the damage loop from the Omnificer build. That trick also involves dealing infinite damage to two other people at the same time as yourself. You set up the loop with 2 other people, three people get dealt infinite damage once. You add 2 more people with the same spells in effect, and all 5 people involved take infinite damage twice in one round. Add 2 more people with the same loop and all 7 people take infinite damage five times. The only limiting factor is the duration of the spells involved in creating the damage loop, and finding enough people to go along with it. I'm not going to bother trying to figure out just how many people you can get taking infinite damage, or how many times each of them takes infinite damage, in the single round when you trigger the damage loop to occur.

NEO|Phyte
2008-09-01, 10:41 PM
The 1d2 Crusader has an effect which causes all rolls of 1 to be counted as though they were rolls of 2 instead. That means every roll is always a 2, regardless of what the actual die roll ends up as. Therefore, you don't actually roll any dice for damage as the result is always the same.

It is not an arbitrarily large amount of damage, because it takes no time whatsoever in-game or OoC to calculate the damage. You never have to "stop rolling" because nothing is rolled in the first place, it's simply counted as the only possible result. Therefore, it actually is infinite damage.
Actually, it's 2+modifier(s) damage, using your logic.

Because, you know, you have to ROLL for the damage to trigger the loop.

Chronos
2008-09-02, 11:40 AM
But the Imbued Healing thing causes all ones to be treated as if you had rolled a 2. If you had rolled a 2, you would re-roll it, so treating it as if you had rolled a 2 would mean that you would re-roll it.

Tokiko Mima
2008-09-02, 12:30 PM
It's much less shatteringly exponentially huge, but a Hellfire Glaivelock can pump a lot of damage out in a single round with the right feats. Add in Maximize SLA, Empower SLA, and Quicken SLA along with an enhanced BAB from prebuffing/persisting Divine Power (from a scroll or other source) and the resulting 8 Reach melee touch attacks from Eldritch Glaive do enough total damage to instantly slay even most Epic foes. You can also add Vitriolic Blast if you're worried about SR.

Bayar
2008-09-02, 01:06 PM
I know everybody will hate me for this.....

Ah **** it.

Pun Pun deals the most damage. Even when unarmed.

Now max damage in 1 round at level 1 with no Gestalt and no Pun Pun. That is a real chalenge.

Person_Man
2008-09-02, 01:24 PM
It's worth mentioning that nothing in a pre-Epic game that I know of has more then 858 hit points. Maybe if a DM is feeling particularly sadistic, he might add on some templates or use Epic material - but even then its likely to be in the low 1000 range. A garden variety high BAB build using Leap Attack, pounce, a couple of damage multipliers (Spirited Charge, Headlong Rush, Rhino's Rush, Valorous Weapon, etc) and some method of getting touch attacks (Flame Blade, Fire Lash, Fire Dagger, Spectral Weapon, Wraithstrike) and denying the enemy its Dex bonus (Greater Invisibility et al) can pull that off pretty easily in one round. Toss in a way of ignoring Miss Chance (Pierce Magical Concealment) and a way of re-rolling 1 on your attack roll (Luck feats/abilities), and you're pretty much set for anything. Optimizing beyond that point is basically just for theoretical fun.

monty
2008-09-02, 01:27 PM
Optimizing beyond that point is basically just for theoretical fun.

Or to fight something with an equal level of cheese, if you have a sadistic DM like you mentioned.

NEO|Phyte
2008-09-02, 01:38 PM
But the Imbued Healing thing causes all ones to be treated as if you had rolled a 2. If you had rolled a 2, you would re-roll it, so treating it as if you had rolled a 2 would mean that you would re-roll it.

And? You still have to ROLL for the loop to work. There's a reason it uses 1d2 damage weapons and not 1 damage weapons. He's saying that there only being one possible result means you don't have to roll, allowing for infinite damage rather than arbitrarily high damage. I pointed out that the ability that allows for the arbitratily high damage REQUIRES you to roll for it to work. You're welcome to rule otherwise in your game, but RAW, you either roll out your damage 1d2 at a time, or your 1d2 crusader is dealing 2+modifier damage.

Plus, assuming someone brings it into a game, making them roll for their 2n damage might make them see that maybe they shouldn't. Don't let them roll multiple dice at once, either, who's to say they won't get a result that DOESN'T allow a reroll? (works best IRL, obviously)

Person_Man
2008-09-02, 01:43 PM
Or to fight something with an equal level of cheese, if you have a sadistic DM like you mentioned.

Not really. Even a sadistic DM who tries to make everything a ridiculous challenge has to scale encounters based on the power level of the party, otherwise you have a TPK, and the game is over. If you choose to optimize to the theoretical Pun Pun degree, the ability to scale encounters stops, and it all comes down to who wins Initiative. Once a game reaches the point where every combat lasts one round (either you die, or it dies), it quickly becomes ridiculously boring. Thus you start over, with new or rebuilt characters that aren't as utterly broken.

So again, I thoroughly enjoy theoretical optimization discussions, just as I enjoy discussions about quantum string theory. But neither has much baring on how we act in reality.

fractic
2008-09-02, 01:46 PM
So again, I thoroughly enjoy theoretical optimization discussions, just as I enjoy discussions about quantum string theory. But neither has much baring on how we act in reality.

Now I just have to misquote Feynman.

Optimization is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.

monty
2008-09-02, 01:48 PM

Wait, string theory doesn't affect how you act? I must be doing it all wrong, then.

Tokiko Mima
2008-09-02, 01:49 PM
Plus, assuming someone brings it into a game, making them roll for their 2n damage might make them see that maybe they shouldn't. Don't let them roll multiple dice at once, either, who's to say they won't get a result that DOESN'T allow a reroll? (works best IRL, obviously)

Wait. Are you implying that a two sided die has a chance of rolling something other than a 1 or a 2? :smallwink:

monty
2008-09-02, 01:54 PM
I can't help picturing a 1d2 crusader in-game holding a coin.

"You live...you die."

fractic
2008-09-02, 01:55 PM
I can't help picturing a 1d2 crusader in-game holding a coin.

"You live...you die."

More like "You die ... you still die"

Chronos
2008-09-02, 01:55 PM
Wait, string theory doesn't affect how you act? I must be doing it all wrong, then.If the String Model is affecting how you act, then there are a heck of a lot of physicists out there who would love to get you into a lab to study you. Many people have tried and failed to find something, anything, which is affected by the String Model (which is, incidentally, why I'm referring to it as a model, not a theory).

monty
2008-09-02, 02:06 PM
If the String Model is affecting how you act, then there are a heck of a lot of physicists out there who would love to get you into a lab to study you. Many people have tried and failed to find something, anything, which is affected by the String Model (which is, incidentally, why I'm referring to it as a model, not a theory).

Well, if it's true, then wouldn't it be affecting me just like everything else, in no particularly measurable way (and yes, Model would be a better term, but if you say that to the average person, they'll probably have no idea what you're talking about)?

More like "You die ... you still die"

No, that's what the player says when they start flipping.

hamishspence
2008-09-02, 02:07 PM
To even start on proving the string model has any validity, would need to show something that not only cannot be explained using normal physics theories, but that the string model successfully explains. And keep doing it. I haven't heard of such an experiment in Physics World.

NEO|Phyte
2008-09-02, 02:22 PM
Wait. Are you implying that a two sided die has a chance of rolling something other than a 1 or a 2? :smallwink:

I'm not saying it's LIKELY, but I imagine there's a chance of it, yeah.

monty
2008-09-02, 02:27 PM
I'm not saying it's LIKELY, but I imagine there's a chance of it, yeah.

Well, I suppose it's technically possible to spontaneously grow a third side, but the probability is so unimaginably low that it's not worth arguing.

arguskos
2008-09-02, 02:30 PM
Well, I suppose it's technically possible to spontaneously grow a third side, but the probability is so unimaginably low that it's not worth arguing.
Perhaps he's referencing the fact that a 1d2 is also called a quarter. Quarters have edges. It can land on the edge. Thus, producing a result that is neither a 1 nor a 2. Just sayin'. :smallwink:

-argus

Vonriel
2008-09-02, 02:39 PM
Not really. Even a sadistic DM who tries to make everything a ridiculous challenge has to scale encounters based on the power level of the party, otherwise you have a TPK, and the game is over. If you choose to optimize to the theoretical Pun Pun degree, the ability to scale encounters stops, and it all comes down to who wins Initiative. Once a game reaches the point where every combat lasts one round (either you die, or it dies), it quickly becomes ridiculously boring. Thus you start over, with new or rebuilt characters that aren't as utterly broken.

Something tells me you've never really, truly pissed off a DM who wanted to not only beat your broken build into the ground, but do it in a way that proves that he's a bigger, better, faster, more expensive munchkin, so as to leave no doubt as to his superiority at the gaming table.

I haven't either, of course, but I imagine someone, somewhere has :smallwink:

monty
2008-09-02, 02:50 PM
Perhaps he's referencing the fact that a 1d2 is also called a quarter. Quarters have edges. It can land on the edge. Thus, producing a result that is neither a 1 nor a 2. Just sayin'. :smallwink:

-argus

Well then, that's not a 1d2, is it? IS IT?!?!?!:smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious: :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:
It's a 1d3 with uneven odds (pun intended).

arguskos
2008-09-02, 02:57 PM
Well then, that's not a 1d2, is it? IS IT?!?!?!:smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious: :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:
It's a 1d3 with uneven odds (pun intended).
That pun makes me sad inside.

Also, it is a 1d2. If we had a "real" 1d2 (not sure what it'd look like though), it could totally land cocked, and thus present a result that is neither a 1 nor a 2. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I'll stop being difficult now. :smallbiggrin:

-argus

Talic
2008-09-02, 02:59 PM
I believe the build I posted for Hulking Hurler got 135 million, though I've seen them get to 3-4 trillion. Mine, unfortunately, only threw 440,000 ton rocks.

Oh, and a 1d2? Would look like a 1d6, with 3 results being 1, and 3 results being 2.

Chronos
2008-09-02, 04:30 PM
Perhaps he's referencing the fact that a 1d2 is also called a quarter. Quarters have edges. It can land on the edge. Thus, producing a result that is neither a 1 nor a 2. Just sayin'.It's a bit tough with a quarter, but I did once see a nickel actually land on its edge.

arguskos
2008-09-02, 04:32 PM
It's a bit tough with a quarter, but I did once see a nickel actually land on its edge.
Notably, I've actually seen more than a few coins land edge up (quarters, nickels, pennies, a dime once, and an eight-sided foreign coin [I forget where from]). Anyhoo, I'll let this go now. <_< >_> >_<

-argus

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-09-02, 04:53 PM
Let me put it this way: The 1d2 Crusader turns the 1 on his die into a 2, therefore all die roll results are a 2, and you can simply state that every rolled result is a 2 without even touching the dice/coin. When the rolled result is always the same, there is no longer a need to physically make the roll, and the game mechanics continue to function as though you had. If the 1d2 die/coin were capable of making a result other than 1 or 2, it would be an invalid result and a reroll, therefore the result would always be 1 or 2 for purposes of game mechanics. In this case, the result would always be a 2, and again there would be no need to touch the dice/coin because for purposes of game mechanics the only possible result is a 2. The player can state with confidence that he rolls a 2 on every roll an infinite number of times, and there is absolutely no RAW argument that can say otherwise.

SCPRedMage
2008-09-03, 07:48 PM
Yes.

Heads. Possibly tails.