PDA

View Full Version : Have you used any of these books?

Ascension
2008-09-01, 05:05 PM
I just got back from Dragon*Con, where, as usual, there were many cheap RPG books, and, as usual, I couldn't stop myself from buying cheap RPG books, despite quite possibly never being able to use them.

I haven't noticed anyone employing any of these books around here (save one), but I figured I might as well ask if anyone has, and if so, how were they in actual play?

Here's the list, organized by system.

d20:

Slayers d20: The only one I know someone here has played. Looks pretty good at first glance. I haven't read it extensively, though.

Swashbuckling Adventures (7th Sea d20): I love the concept, but the execution looks shaky, to say the least. It looks like game balance is completely and utterly screwed. I hope I'm wrong.

Starship Troopers d20: Although I have yet to read the original book or see the movie, though I have a copy of the book in my read soon pile, this actually looks like a solid game, apart from several typos in the text and a complete lack of CR ratings for the bugs. For survivability purposes I think I'd want to start at a high enough level to have someone in the medic prestige class (or maybe I could just use an NPC medic), but other than that it looks good.

A Magical Society: Ecology and Culture: Though billed as a d20 book, I have yet to find any actual OGL material in here apart from a few mentions of gp. This looks to be the best of the bunch, a ton of fantasy world building material which would be useful for any world building activity, not just RPG prep.

West End d6

I picked up both d6 Space and d6 Fantasy. On first observation I get the overwhelming feeling that these were rushed out the door. They're not bad, but they don't feel finished. Space, for example, contains multiple references to piloting exoskeletons... but doesn't have any rules for constructing them, no pre-built examples, and only vague hints at piloting mechanics. It also seems strange that two products which are based on the same system and should be freely compatible use different base attributes. While the names seem to be more of a fluff difference than a mechanical difference, it places more distances between Space and Fantasy characters and helps to discourage the sort of crossover campaign such rules should encourage.

Tri-Stat

Ex Machina (Tri-Stat Cyberpunk): I didn't even know this existed. I hear BESM mentioned often and fondly, I hear Silver Age Sentinels mentioned as that system some people play before they realize the awesomeness of Mutants and Masterminds, but I've never even heard of this third product of the Tri-Stat system. It has stats for a shoulder-mounted anti-materiel railgun. A shoulder-mounted anti-materiel railgun one could use the Massive Damage attribute with. There are also miniguns, and the 30mm autocannon can be hauled around if you have superstrength. Really, that's all I need to know. It gets two awesome thumbs up in my book

So anyway, do any of you have experience with any of these systems you'd like to share?

Lyndworm
2008-09-02, 06:49 AM
Never heard of or played any of those, but Starship Troopers is one of my favorite movies of all time. Unfortunately, I feel obligated to say that the book was dissapointing at best. Though to be honest, I find Heinlein to be a little preachy and sexist. All You Zombies was good, though.

Anyhoo, if you know where I could find that Starship Troopers d20 for tehcheapxorz, I'd be pretty interested.

Zack

Ascension
2008-09-02, 07:09 AM
Never heard of or played any of those, but Starship Troopers is one of my favorite movies of all time. Unfortunately, I feel obligated to say that the book was dissapointing at best.

It's funny you should say that. Most people I've spoken to have said the opposite, that the book was awesome and the movie disappointing. I guess it's one of those "You'll like one or the other but not both" situations.

Unfortunately, I can't find it online for anywhere near the price I got it at the con.

bosssmiley
2008-09-02, 07:28 AM
d20:Swashbuckling Adventures (7th Sea d20): I love the concept, but the execution looks shaky, to say the least. It looks like game balance is completely and utterly screwed. I hope I'm wrong.

That's the filthy d20 cash-in version of "7th Sea" isn't it? Flawed, but still one of the less bad swashbuckler/pirate books out there for the d20 system. If you're going to play one of the AEG games (L5R or 7th Sea) then play the originals, not the d20 versions.

A Magical Society: Ecology and Culture: Though billed as a d20 book, I have yet to find any actual OGL material in here apart from a few mentions of gp. This looks to be the best of the bunch, a ton of fantasy world building material which would be useful for any world building activity, not just RPG prep.

Is that one of the series Goodman Games did? I've heard positive thing about them. They're supposed to be system-agnostic IIRC.

Ascension
2008-09-02, 07:52 AM
That's the filthy d20 cash-in version of "7th Sea" isn't it? Flawed, but still one of the less bad swashbuckler/pirate books out there for the d20 system. If you're going to play one of the AEG games (L5R or 7th Sea) then play the originals, not the d20 versions.

Well, yeah, I'd prefer the original, but I couldn't find it for four bucks.

I do have a question about the original, though... Does it provide any solid information about Cathay, or is it always someplace you just aren't supposed to ever visit?

Is that one of the series Goodman Games did? I've heard positive thing about them. They're supposed to be system-agnostic IIRC.

It says it's by Expeditious Retreat Press.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-02, 07:56 AM
Ex Machina is too cinematic a system for cyberpunk, to my taste - it's a genre that benefits from a simulationist touch. Cyberpunk 2020 blows it out of the water, for instance.

The book has some wicked cool plot / campaign / world ideas, though.

Lyndworm
2008-09-02, 08:18 AM
It's funny you should say that. Most people I've spoken to have said the opposite, that the book was awesome and the movie disappointing. I guess it's one of those "You'll like one or the other but not both" situations.

Unfortunately, I can't find it online for anywhere near the price I got it at the con.

I fell in love with the movie before I realized that it was (partly-long story) inspired by the book. I knew that the book was totally different, but after reading it there were just enough similarities for me to compare one to the other. The book came up lacking. It's not that I don't enjoy reading, either, it's actually how I spend of most of my free time. I am a sucker for NPH, though. :smallamused: Michael Ironside was great, too, but as much as I love Jake Busey, he only just made up for the inclusion of Denise Richards. I have to go watch my DVD before I regress into some sort of gibbering geek.

Thanks anyway, about the price.

Zack

P.S.
I'm the only person I know who knows who Patrick Muldoon is.