PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia?

Lycan 01
2008-09-01, 05:34 PM
So what is this game "Paranoia" I hear about every now and again?

I just read the wikipedia entry. Seems pretty interesting.

What sort of system does it run on? D20? BRP? Or does it even need a system? The article did mention that the rulebook considers the rules optional...

I have a twisted sense of humor. The players I usually DM for also share this sense of humor, and tend to weasel friendly fire into the game every now and then. (See my post in the "Tpb" thread about the fate of Bushido Joe...) So I think Paranoia might be a game that piques everyone's interest...

Also, are there any PbP games running for it right now? Or perhaps one starting soon?

And could somebody tell me a story or two so I can get a good grip on what the game is like?

Behold_the_Void
2008-09-01, 05:45 PM
Paranoia is hilarious. As I recall, it's a single D20 roll-low system of successes and failures. The rulebook emphasizes story or mechanics, and in some cases the mechanics are above the player's clearance level, and thus are completely inaccessible to them. If your GM can capture the feel, it's awesome for a great one-shot every now and again, and while it does have rules for more "straight" play I don't tend to hear of people playing that way all too often.

Thrud
2008-09-01, 06:06 PM
O.K. so, the thing to remember about Paranoia is that everyone will die in the game. Multiple times. Each time you die you get a clone sent out to continue on for you. This can happen multiple times (though there is an upper limit). Also, the Computer has made it against the law to be a member of a secret society, or to be a mutant. Every PC is a member of a secret society and a mutant.

First game of Paranoia I ever played. The PCs are sitting around a table, and the Computer is about to tell us the job it wants done. BEFORE it gets there, however, it asks if anyone at the table is a member of a secret society. We were sitting at a round table. Everyone pointed at someone. Unfortunately everyone pointed at someone else. So, the Computer activated the automatic weapons in the room and killed everyone in the room before we even managed to find out what the adventure was going to be about.

Heh. I love that game.

:smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2008-09-01, 06:09 PM
Wow.

I have to play this game... XD

Rei_Jin
2008-09-01, 06:10 PM
Paranoia XP is the latest version, and offers several different options for how to play. But the following are the rules for Paranoia

1. Roll high, good. Roll low, bad
2. You can earn perversity points for doing things that amuse the DM. These are spent to increase or decrease any dice roll by anyone in the game. Much hilarity ensues, because whilst you are working with the rest of the party, you're also out to get them.
3. You never know if you rolled high or low, because you don't get to roll dice. The DM does.
4. If the DM doesn't like the result on the dice, he changes it to something he does like.
5. Your job is to serve friend computer, and to kill commie mutant traitors. However, YOU are a commie mutant traitor. Therefore, you must prove to the computer that your allies are commie mutant traitors, so that you are not suspected.

So, yeah, it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Dr Bwaa
2008-09-01, 06:11 PM
These guys have done a good job describing it; I'm just adding my voice to say that it is indeed quite a fun game.

Other things of note:
most of the rules (and dice rolls, etc) are above the PCs' clearance levels
nearly all of the information on your equipment is above the PCs' clearance levels
Everything else of note is probably above the PCs' clearance levels
If you're not trying to elevate yourself at the cost of everyone else in the party, you're doing it wrong.

Eldmor
2008-09-01, 06:15 PM
The online community for RPGs at my college loves Paranoia so much, our member ranking system is the colored clearance levels in the game.
The most hilarious death that happened was someone sitting on the wrong clearance-level color of chair. I can't go into detail because of forum rules, but let's say "insta-gib" is an understatement to the ensuing death-by-chair.

Lycan 01
2008-09-01, 06:16 PM
So wait, if the DM rolls the dice, how do you know if you succeed? I mean, he can just lie and say you lose... And even if you did succeed, he could just change the roll... So either way, you're not gonna succeed at the roll. So you might as well just say what you want to do, and hope the DM's description of what happens doesn't involve your death or maimage.

But if that's the case, could you pursuade him with the points you described?

Also, if the players don't know the rules, can they make one up to save themselves? Like... Lets say Player A gets shot in the leg, but needs to run. Can he pull a "Determination" roll out of his butt and claim that his char tries to push through the pain and sprint? And if he succeeds the roll, his char manages to run with a screwed up leg, despite the pain? (Only to later bleed to death from aggrivating the wound, of course. :smalltongue:)

Demonix
2008-09-01, 06:31 PM

What sort of system does it run on? D20? BRP? Or does it even need a system? The article did mention that the rulebook considers the rules optional...

I have a twisted sense of humor. The players I usually DM for also share this sense of humor, and tend to weasel friendly fire into the game every now and then. (See my post in the "Tpb" thread about the fate of Bushido Joe...) So I think Paranoia might be a game that piques everyone's interest...

Also, are there any PbP games running for it right now? Or perhaps one starting soon?

And could somebody tell me a story or two so I can get a good grip on what the game is like?

I am sorry lycan-R-01, but that information is cleared for security level GREEN -i'm a little teapot, short and- only! Please report to Food Recycling Vat 02***Commie mutant traitors are a lie! SMASH THE COMPUTER!*** for duty reassignment. The computer is your friend. Are you happy citizen? If you are not happy, please report to Personality Readjustment in Corridor BLU-53&&&sanctuary exists!&&&ave a nice day!

Lycan 01
2008-09-01, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I just signed up for the PbP Paranoia game somebody is starting in the RPG section. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the info, folks. I'd still like an answer to my section group of questions, though. I thought of a hilarious scenario that I'd love to try out in a situation like that. XD

Rei_Jin
2008-09-01, 06:50 PM
Well, the DM/GM would make the check for you. They know the rules. Just because you aren't allowed to know how everything works doesn't mean that they don't. You tell the DM/GM what you want to do, and they try to make it happen.

BRC
2008-09-01, 06:52 PM
So wait, if the DM rolls the dice, how do you know if you succeed? I mean, he can just lie and say you lose... And even if you did succeed, he could just change the roll... So either way, you're not gonna succeed at the roll. So you might as well just say what you want to do, and hope the DM's description of what happens doesn't involve your death or maimage.

But if that's the case, could you pursuade him with the points you described?

Also, if the players don't know the rules, can they make one up to save themselves? Like... Lets say Player A gets shot in the leg, but needs to run. Can he pull a "Determination" roll out of his butt and claim that his char tries to push through the pain and sprint? And if he succeeds the roll, his char manages to run with a screwed up leg, despite the pain? (Only to later bleed to death from aggrivating the wound, of course. :smalltongue:)
Your thinking about it from the wrong angle.

In DnD, it goes like this, the Players take the perspective that the DM is trying to kill them, this is usually wrong, but it's safest for the players to get that idea.

In paranoia, the GM Is trying to kill you, but instead of getting angry, you all have a good laugh as your entire party is reduced to subatomic particles and your next clones are sent into the exact same situation. In Paranoia the DM is trying to kill you, but so are your fellow players, and so is your equipment. And so is the gerbil, the one behind you RIGHT NOW.

The point, however, is that in Paranoia you arn't supposed to take it seriously. Your supposed to have fun and be happy. Because Happiness is mandatory.

Lycan 01
2008-09-01, 06:56 PM
I don't find that concept unfair. I actually like that concept, as it leads to hilarious situations. You could insantly succeed at something, but the DM can just say you didn't, and then kill you in some insane way. That'd be quite funny, I think...

Personally, I figured it'd be as easy and fun to just make up a few basic rules, and then wing it from there.

Also, if they "determination" roll thing worked, what if somebody else got their face shot off, tried to make that roll as a joke, and then succeeded? I, for one, find the possibilities to be quite entertaining...

BobVosh
2008-09-02, 01:58 AM
I want to hear specifics on these games. It sounds amazing.

Irreverent Fool
2008-09-02, 02:03 AM

How is this different than D&D?

Player: "Ha, you rolled a 3! No way that'll hit my Fighter!"
DM: "What's your armor class?"
Player: "What? Um... 37, but I'm in full-defense so 43."
DM: "The creature hits you."
Player: :smalleek:

By the way, wikipedia has a nice article describing the Paranoia game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(role-playing_game)).

Edit: Apparently I missed the bit where OP said he read the article. Anyway.. there's a link!

RTGoodman
2008-09-02, 02:26 AM
I don't know how I've never heard of this game before (or, at least, not enough to make me go look it up), but this looks like something I'd love to play. I don't know if my normal group would like it (they seem to prefer turning serious campaigns into silly ones rather than running silly ones to begin with), but I might see if I can find this for cheap somewhere.

For those in the know, which edition is considered the best? Or are they similar enough to where it doesn't matter?

Dairun Cates
2008-09-02, 02:30 AM

Citizen. As you are currently classified as a player, you have neither the clearance to access the wikipedia article, nor are allowed access to knowledge of the rules. All you need to know that Paranoia and it's new, more perfect than ever version Paranoia XP are mandatory fun and that Friend Computer loves you. Please report for mandatory brainscrubbing.

However, if you wish to hear some hilarious stories of traitors destroying themselves, Friend Computer and his trusted UVs would be happy to oblige.

There are many kinds of traitor stories. What kind did you have in mind. Traitors blowing their fellow traitors up, traitors blowing themselves up, or loyal citizens destroying traitors? For the later, Friend Computer recommends the stylings of Teela-O-MLY.

As for what Alpha Complex is like...

Some romantics have refered to Alpha Complex as a blended mix of 1984, Brazil, and the Three Stooges. These thoughts are treasonous.

Alpha Complex is a perfect paradise with no communists, no mutants, no secret societies, and no traitors.

Also, rumors of a 5th edition are untrue and treasonous.

Edit: While Citizen Dai-R-UNN-1 is happy to oblige stories of adventures against traitors, he also recommends the logs on www.paranoia-live.net for some real transcripts of actual troubleshooting missions.

Swordguy
2008-09-02, 03:00 AM
The previous post is both full of win and Officially Friend Computer-Approved.

nagora
2008-09-02, 03:31 AM
First game of Paranoia I ever played. The PCs are sitting around a table, and the Computer is about to tell us the job it wants done. BEFORE it gets there, however, it asks if anyone at the table is a member of a secret society. We were sitting at a round table. Everyone pointed at someone. Unfortunately everyone pointed at someone else. So, the Computer activated the automatic weapons in the room and killed everyone in the room before we even managed to find out what the adventure was going to be about.

Brilliant! The first game I ever ran, one of the players mis-read the meaning of the red shirts they were all wearing (clearance levels in Paranoia run through the rainbow starting at red for the lowest), and called one of the other characters "comrade". Out come the automatic weapons and she lost her first clone during character generation.:smallbiggrin:

only1doug
2008-09-02, 04:47 AM
One Paranoia game we played sent us all to tele-tubby land, someone opened the rear door of out transport device and we were all sucked out to fall to our deaths (obviously we died because we landed on the green clearance surface) one person fell slightly after the rest of us (although i thought he was in front) and by the time he landed the surface was red clearance (a least some areas of it were) so he wasn't harmed.

when our replacement clones arrived we assisted with friend computer's mission and spoke to the mutants that friend computer had sent us to negotiate with.
upon our return we had a debriefing session.
Unfortunately our friend who had the luck of landing on a red clearance patch produced a yellow clearance foodstuff in the debriefing session, so i was forced to terminate the traitor.

we fell out of the aircraft and steve used his mutant power of levitation to survive the fall. then he was silly enough to bring out the telly-tubby toast that he had kept.

Duke of URL
2008-09-02, 07:16 AM
I ran a short-lived (no, not for the obvious reasons, but stalled due to the forum troubles a month or two ago) Paranoia game using an unofficial d20 conversion. A little throw-away personality quirk of the briefing officer -- he got everyone's names mixed up -- led to so much party infighting and squabbling over who was really the team leader, etc., that the team completely forgot the package that they were supposed to be delivering...

Ascension
2008-09-02, 08:12 AM
I realize this is both not in the spirit of the game and well above my clearance, but I have question... Is it possible, by any means, to defeat the computer? Blow it up, free the people, lead to a brighter future?

Kurald Galain
2008-09-02, 08:22 AM
I realize this is both not in the spirit of the game and well above my clearance, but I have question... Is it possible, by any means, to defeat the computer? Blow it up, free the people, lead to a brighter future?

Rumor has it that this actually happened in the past (second edition metaplot, to be precise), but that the poor clones were so utterly lost without the Big C's guidance that they turned it back on again.

Rumors are treason. Please report to the nearest termination center. Have a nice day.

TwystidMynd
2008-09-02, 08:28 AM

If this were a PbP, you'd be pumped full of red-hot laser already.

EDIT: (Probably because there was a psychic in your party who read your mind and mistakenly thought that you'd said such things aloud. Then they'd be shot for murder and/or being a mutant.)

Ascension
2008-09-02, 10:14 AM
Ah, now I remember. I knew there was some reason that blowing up the computer was the first thing that occurred to me. This Perfect Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Perfect_Day). Paranoia reminds me of This Perfect Day. Except more hopeless yet played for dark humor.

Dairun Cates
2008-09-02, 11:49 AM
Rumor has it that this actually happened in the past (second edition metaplot, to be precise), but that the poor clones were so utterly lost without the Big C's guidance that they turned it back on again.

Rumors are treason. Please report to the nearest termination center. Have a nice day.

Yes. There never was a crash. There never was an entire series of adventures in Second Edition Paranoia that took place entirely in the outdoors and had secret societies acting out in the open. Friend Computer has ALWAYS been here to serve his Citizens and is completely incapable of harm. Even if such a thing HAD happened, it would've likely been by complete bad luck that it had happened and one of the comptuer's comp node would've quickly revived Friend Computer.

chiasaur11
2008-09-02, 12:02 PM
Is friend computer Great and beneficent, or REALLY Great and beneficent?

Storm Bringer
2008-09-02, 12:32 PM
Friend computer was programmed by 50's anti-commie nutters form the Red Scare. the only reason their IS a communist party in Alpha complex is because Freind computer goes on about it every 3 seconds. It only goes on about them every 3 seconds becuase it's missing abott half it's higher level Ai functions due to a comet impact. It WANTS to be nice. It's just convinced that the Commies have invaded and that it must seek out and destory them in order to secure it's utopia.

this text is clearence Ultraviolet

Lochar
2008-09-02, 12:36 PM
Locha-R-Isma 1 reports to the nearest self termination terminal for seeing something above his clearance.

Ascension
2008-09-02, 03:31 PM
this text is clearence Ultraviolet

Well, that white text certainly makes everything make more sense.

Unfortunately, it probably also disqualified me from ever playing Paranoia.

I guess I could GM, though...

Storm Bringer
2008-09-02, 03:33 PM
Locha-R-Isma 1 reports to the nearest self termination terminal for seeing something above his clearance.

"and that, fellow citizens, is why all messages carry their clearace warnings at the end of the message."

Brad-I-LEE-3, High progammer of the <classfied> sector.

nah. the knowledge that it the whole game world came about because of a single mistake by a group of time traveling troubleshooters (LONG story. if you every get a chance, every paranoia player should read the last of the Vulture Warriors of Demsion X adventures. or, even better, play it.) doesn't spoil the game at all. It's not that sort of game.

It's the sort of game where it took them years to release a rules suppilment to cover what happened if a player got to clearance Orange (aka 'level 2').

Eldariel
2008-09-02, 03:35 PM
Well, that white text certainly makes everything make more sense.

I guess I could GM, though...

Nope, it doesn't. Knowledge is really secondary to everything in the game - it's all about just having a blast, dying in totally insane ways and trying to uncover your teammates (and to accomplish your given missions because friend computer knows what it's doing) without being exposed yourself.

Kurald Galain
2008-09-02, 03:44 PM
Honestly, you can't spoil Paranoia. Have some Happy Pills. And some voluntary mandatory happy bonus cleaning duty.

Aaaall praaaaaisee the compuuuuuuuter and aaaalllll its blinking liiiiiiights!

Lochar
2008-09-02, 03:57 PM
"and that, fellow citizens, is why all messages carry their clearace warnings at the end of the message."

Locha-R-Isma 2 will now start reading his messages from back to front.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-02, 04:02 PM
iesw yrev

for those who cannot be bothered to reverse it, it reads very wise.

Kurald Galain
2008-09-02, 04:46 PM
iesw yrev

Citizen! That is not sanctioned language! In fact, it may very well be commie speak! A troubleshooter team has been dispatched to dispatch you.

chiasaur11
2008-09-02, 05:21 PM
Citizen! That is not sanctioned language! In fact, it may very well be commie speak! A troubleshooter team has been dispatched to dispatch you.

You know an awful lot about communists for someone who claims not to be a mutant traitor...

Friend Computer has been duly notified.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-02, 05:29 PM
iesw yrev

for those who cannot be bothered to reverse it, it reads very wise.No it doesn't.

* is duly executed for reading Ultraviolet clearance text*

BobVosh
2008-09-03, 01:06 AM
Where can I get this game, along with its supplements?

TwystidMynd
2008-09-03, 08:15 AM
Where can I get this game, along with its supplements?

Mongoose Publishing (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/series.php?qsSeries=19) publishes the most recent version of the game, I believe.

BobVosh
2008-09-03, 08:23 AM
I heard they went belly up :/

Kurald Galain
2008-09-03, 08:28 AM
I heard they went belly up :/

Rumors are treason.

It was West End Games (the publisher of 1st through 5th edition) that went belly up. However, those editions are treasonous anyway. The current edition is perfect!

Waspinator
2008-09-03, 12:25 PM

nah. the knowledge that it the whole game world came about because of a single mistake by a group of time traveling troubleshooters (LONG story. if you every get a chance, every paranoia player should read the last of the Vulture Warriors of Demsion X adventures. or, even better, play it.) doesn't spoil the game at all. It's not that sort of game.

It's the sort of game where it took them years to release a rules suppilment to cover what happened if a player got to clearance Orange (aka 'level 2').

Any chance you could give a fuller explanation for the time travel thing?

BRC
2008-09-03, 01:00 PM
GOD-W-INS's law, as a conversation about Paranoia continues , the chance of somebody being accused of being a commie mutant traitor approaches one.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-03, 01:03 PM
okay, it goes something like this:

two things are needed to be mentioned.

frist, according to the copy of the rulebook at the time of this adventures printing, Alpha complex was part of a planet-wide network of undergound cities built to protect humanity agianst an impending comet impact that would seriously screw up earths surface for a fair bit. multiple attempts were made to stop the comet, the final one being a last minute launch of a old russian ICBM by people who didn't really know how to use it, to try and blow it up (which failed). The Computer detected this launch, but didn't know what it was, so it shearched it's databanks for an answer. It got to the answer just about as the comet hit, In a database written by someone who never really accepted that the cold war had ended: the russians had launched a nuke that should have landed in the area of Alpha complex (america), ergo the commies were planning to invade!

About this point, the comet hit and generally screwed The Computer, cutting the hardlines that linked it to the various element of itself. the Indevidual parts of the computer were all left with a hard coded order to 'destory the commies' and were lacking most of their minds.

fast forward several hundred years

the characters are testing this new RnD device, a space/time machine. They have spent the last few missions basically running into various other RPG systems (Cyberpunk, DnD, ect), and, on their way back to Alpha complex, have a little accident.

specifically, they hit the TARDIS and write off their time machine. Tom baker pops out and basically enlists them into helping in a classic dr. who series plot involving a Unspeakable Evil.

After a lot of arsing about on a planet that will become the astroid belt (they blow it up as they leave), they arrive on earth, in Russia, and are told by The Doctor that the Unspeakable Evil is on the comet about to hit the planet. They are then told to sneak into one of the last remaining ICBM sties, slap a special warhead on the end, and then luanch it at the comet to kill the Unspeakable Evil. They sneak in, they mount the warhead......but don't remeber/are not told to reprogram the targeting software..........so, the players launch the missle that causes the computer to become a dysfunctional red-obcessed neurotic, rather than just a dysfunctional neurotic.

Later on, they manage to enter a version of history where they don't lanch the missle, and the comptuer is not fixated on commies. It's still psycopathic and libale to get the players killed with it's stupidity, but it;s not out to activly kill them.

Ascension
2008-09-03, 02:04 PM
So basically we can blame Paranoia on the Doctor?

Thanks a lot, British television! :smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2008-09-03, 03:29 PM
So basically we can blame Paranoia on the Doctor?

Thanks a lot, British television! :smalltongue:

So, another victory for TvTrope's WMG pages.

Waspinator
2008-09-05, 02:07 AM
That is awesome. It might almost be worth hunting it down to convert to Paranoia XP (which it what I have; haven't read much of the older material for previous versions).