PDA

View Full Version : max damage with a lance

enteri09
2008-09-01, 06:13 PM
hey guys.

i was just wondring how at 12th level. one can max out lance damage. using only fr and core books. im a fghtr1/pally6/algarondan griffon rider5

Talic
2008-09-01, 08:13 PM
Once the character has already been designed, it's hard to do optimization. Much of lance optimization involves specific Prestige Classes and feats. Cavalier, I believe. Once you've got feats, classes, and levels statted up, there's little left to optimize.

Deepblue706
2008-09-01, 08:42 PM
If you have Power Attack, and grab Improved Bull rush, you'll have access to Shock Trooper - which allows you to deduct your Armor Class instead of Attack Bonus when you make use of Power Attack on a charge (maximum amount deducted still equal to BAB). Being able to pump that much into Power Attack will result in significantly greater damage, since that multiplies with usage of a lance when doing a mounted charge.

Of course, Spirited Charge makes that multiplier a x3. As Talic says, the Cavalier PrC would really help out - that'd take the multiplier to x5, once you reach level 10 in that class.

Rhino Hide will give you +2d6 on a charge, I believe.

Two-Handing the lance (instead of using a lance and shield) will allow for greater PA ratio.

There's not much else you could realistically hope to exploit, since your character is already developed...

Chronos
2008-09-01, 09:09 PM
If you have Power Attack, and grab Improved Bull rush, you'll have access to Shock TrooperNo you won't, if you only have core and the Forgotten Realms books.

I don't know what all is in FR, but Core-only, there's really not much more to do than to be sure to take Power Attack and Spirited Charge, plus all of the usual suspects for improving damage for any melee build (Enlarge Person, buffing up your strength, improving your weapon, etc.).

If "core" in this context means "SRD", rather than "PHB, DMG, and MM 1", then a good enhancement for your weapon is Collision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#collision), which counts as a +2 bonus, and gives +5 to damage but nothing to attack: Since it's a constant number that's added, instead of dice, it gets multiplied by your Spirited Charge and charging-with-a-lance. And as with any character, if you have spellcasters in your party, it's best to pay money for special properties on your weapon, and let the spellcasters cast Greater Magic Weapon on it for the +x.

enteri09
2008-09-01, 09:11 PM
at the moment without too much i've got a x4 multiplier

mountedx2 then spirited chage x3 then valorus on the lance makes it x4.

as for changing character build the only levels i'm realy set on are the agr as flying things are cool, the pally levels are only to improve the griffon which i would gladly sacrifice for extra damage capability.

Animefunkmaster
2008-09-01, 09:16 PM
Can you use Dive tactics with your flying mount? It is another X2 on a charge but you need to be flying and charge down.

Deepblue706
2008-09-01, 09:17 PM
No you won't, if you only have core and the Forgotten Realms books.

Oops. :smalleek:

enteri09
2008-09-01, 09:30 PM
Can you use Dive tactics with your flying mount? It is another X2 on a charge but you need to be flying and charge down.

yes x5 for diving charge

and an exact 'core' booklist for this campagin is phb1 and 2 dmg 1 and 2 and mm1. sorry for any confusion chronos