PDA

View Full Version : Computorial Woes

BRC
2008-09-01, 09:32 PM
Alright, so, for awhile I've used an HP pavillion laptop as my primary computer, especially for schoolwork.

Over the summer however, a problem occured, if it shut off, entered sleep, or entered hibernate, it wouldn't turn back on. It was possible to get it back on by pushing the power button enough, but you never knew how many times it would take. All the LED's would go on, but the screen wouldn't and nothing would respond except the power button, which would just turn it off again.

So we sent it in and got the motherboard replaced (Which is all the repair people know how to do), and it worked fine...for a week, at which point the same problem occured.

Well, we didn't want tojust get it fixed so it could break again, so instead a friend of ours hooked me up with an older but refurbished Dell laptop, which I got on friday. It worked fine, until today, when, you guessed it, it developed THE EXACT SAME #$@ING PROBLEM.

So yeah, I'ma cry now.

Jack Squat
2008-09-01, 09:37 PM
Sounds like you have a curse.

I've no idea how to fix this...I'd just like to point out that my Dell has developed some loose connections on it (speakers, screen), so if there's any way you're abusing your laptop, that could be a cause.

BRC
2008-09-01, 09:38 PM
Sounds like you have a curse.

I've no idea how to fix this...I'd just like to point out that my Dell has developed some loose connections on it (speakers, screen), so if there's any way you're abusing your laptop, that could be a cause.

So far, it has done exactly one thing, and that is sit on my desk next to my desktop.

EDIT: Alright, it just turned on again, but who knows what will happen if I try to turn it off.

Bandededed
2008-09-01, 10:05 PM
I actually had this problem with a hp desktop - the whole freaking tower was running but the screen refused to turn on until I rebooted the whole thing. Luckily, this hasn't happened again.

Back to your situation:

If all the LED's are turning on, then I wouldn't think the motherboard was the problem. It sounds more like what Jack mentioned, loose wires or just that that component is wearing thin on you comps.

Is your laptop near any source of violent temperature change (heater, air conditioner) or anything else? Then again, if your laptop is refurbished, then that could be the problem, as the connections would be older.

Sorry I can't be of more use :smallfrown:.

Nohwl
2008-09-01, 10:10 PM
i suggest punching it. that will show it who is boss.

Bandededed
2008-09-01, 10:13 PM
^: Seconded and add "repeatedly". Sometimes you just have to B****slap them into doing what you want.

I AM talking about computers!!!

Kaihaku
2008-09-02, 04:56 AM
That's very weird.

Did you use the same power supply for both laptops?

BRC
2008-09-02, 07:01 AM
Same outlet, but different power chords.

I think I got it working now, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.