PDA

View Full Version : Various forum annoyance

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-26, 09:04 PM
Got a few things I thought I might adress...

#1. My outbox. I have a few hundred replies stored. Some I want to keep, some I do not, however, it is so full that it takes 10 minutes to load.

This wouldn't be so bad if I could select the mails I wanted deleted, but I can't, I can only delete one at a time and then it has to reload the entire contents. It'd take me several weeks straight without sleep to do it this way.

#2. Code Function. It doesn't work at all. Anything I post in it is just as jumbled as if I hadn't used it.

#3. The color code. It doesn't work much of the time either if you use it in conjunction with font and size code.

Had a few more I've forgotten now, but will post when I recall them. These three above though are the most blatantly annoying.

Zherog
2006-06-26, 09:11 PM

#1. My outbox. I have a few hundred replies stored. Some I want to keep, some I do not, however, it is so full that it takes 10 minutes to load.

This wouldn't be so bad if I could select the mails I wanted deleted, but I can't, I can only delete one at a time and then it has to reload the entire contents. It'd take me several weeks straight without sleep to do it this way.

Then don't let so much junk accumulate in your inbox. That's the way YaBB works, so I'm not sure what you want Ray to do about it.

#2. Code Function. It doesn't work at all. Anything I post in it is just as jumbled as if I hadn't used it.

Testing...

col1 col2 col3
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
10 11 12

Yep - looks like it functions differently than on other boards.

Another test:

bold italics

However, that part of the code function seems to be functioning the way I would expect...

#3. The color code. It doesn't work much of the time either if you use it in conjunction with font and size code.

Do you close your tags in the same order you open them? For example, if you do [color ][size ][font ] (without the spaces, obviously) do you then close them in the order of font, size, color?

It makes a difference on some message boards; I don't know if YaBB is one of them.,

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-26, 09:15 PM
Then don't let so much junk accumulate in your inbox. That's the way YaBB works, so I'm not sure what you want Ray to do about it.
By the time I realized it was lagging it was already too late. And I keep all my message dealing with the games I run so I can log them for future reading. I respond to probably dozens a week, so it'd probably still lag something fierce. Even a moderate ammount of mails can lag it for a very long time.

Do you close your tags in the same order you open them? For example, if you do [color ][size ][font ] (without the spaces, obviously) do you then close them in the order of font, size, color?
Yeah, Wampa once told me it had something to do with the placing of the color code, that it normally works when the color code is first, but sometimes thats just not possible, such as if you wish to quote colored text.

Rawhide
2006-06-27, 04:45 AM

Press delete, press stop (or press ESC on the keyboard). It submits the delete request as soon as you click the button so you can move on and keep deleting.

Code function on this board only blocks bbcode, it does not give you a fixed width font. You will need to use the [font] tag with a default fixed with font for that. See my later reply.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-30, 07:53 PM
Press delete, press stop (or press ESC on the keyboard). It submits the delete request as soon as you click the button so you can move on and keep deleting.
I don't seem to be having much success with that helping me out.

Code function on this board only blocks bbcode, it does not give you a fixed width font. You will need to use the [font] tag with a default fixed with font for that.
Can you give me an example?

Rawhide
2006-06-30, 08:36 PM
Well, maybe you have to give it a little more time. Try stopping the page from reloading after giving it enough time to submit but not enough time to refresh. It won't delete it from the displayed posts until it reloads, so remember what you've deleted and refresh it every so often.

abcdefghij
iiiiiiiiii
wwwwwwwwww
----------

Courier New is one such font

abcdefghij
iiiiiiiiii
wwwwwwwwww
----------

Courier New is one such font

----

Now that is unusual...

abcdefghij
iiiiiiiiii
wwwwwwwwww
----------

(9 spaces with a dot)

(dot then spaces)
. . . . (two spaces)
. . . (three spaces)
. . (four spaces)
. . (five spaces)
. . (six spaces)
. . (seven spaces)
. . (eight spaces)
. . (nine spaces)

I was wrong, [code] does use a fixed width font. it just deletes long amounts of spaces.

Asmodeus
2006-07-05, 05:50 PM

Raw, if you could find someway to correct this, I would name my first unborn child after you. I'd worship the null pointer that spawned you. I'd sacrafice my stack traces in your name for a month!

I was thinking that if instead of deleting multiple messages, if you could somehow make a way for us to have a 'saved' folder for messages that we want to keep, and a way to move messages from the in or out box to that saved folder, that would be an acceptable alternative.

Trog
2006-07-13, 02:45 AM

Hear! Hear! A simple checkbox to select a post for deletion would be great and would allow me to get out of the same problem. It would probably also save some space on the servers too if those of us with overstuffed in and out boxes could clean house easier and still save key messages.

ChubsMcGee
2006-07-14, 02:13 AM
No offense to Rawhide, but I don't think he is part of the staff. At least that has been my impression. If you are, then congratulations! You are quite the help on the forums. So I don't know if he can actually modify the boards in anyway.

As for adding a check box to the outbox, I don't think that is something that could be easily modified into the board. The other problems seem to have been solved by understanding some the quirks of the system. Still, I think it would be cool to add the check box. And if any of you are truly ambitious you could do a web search on YaBB to see if anyone has made a mod for this and then show it to the mods then that might get the ball rolling.

RawBearNYC
2006-07-14, 04:37 AM
he's not talking to RawHide, he's talking to me, RawBearNYC. Same room different lights.

this change won't be made any time soon, if ever. I might be convinced to clean out individual outboxes, but only completely, 100%, on a per request basis, otherwise, yeah, you'll have to do it the hard way. The suggestion to do it and stop the process is actually sound, as long as YaBB gets the request, it should do the delete, no need to wait for it to compile the page.

Asmodeus
2006-07-14, 04:31 PM
And if any of you are truly ambitious you could do a web search on YaBB to see if anyone has made a mod for this and then show it to the mods then that might get the ball rolling.

Awesome Idea!

My first hit from the search for YaBB mods:
http://www.boardmod.org/mods.php?searchfor=aimb_21_sp131.zipp
That one seems to do the trick, as well as a few other things. Looking for one that does only what we are asking for now.

ChubsMcGee
2006-07-14, 05:41 PM
:P I thought he might be referring to you RawBear, but because RawHide posted I figured he must mean him. Out of curiosity, and I am not going to pretend I know a lot about YaBB or anything. How heavily is our board modded? Pretty much stock with new pictures, or all sorts of crazy things going on that us mortals would never understand? And assuming it isn't modded too heavily, how willing would you be to consider board mods found by some of your adventuring board members?

The Glyphstone
2006-07-20, 08:49 AM
Me too - I can't even get IN to my Outbox anymore, it's so stuffed...I have to ask people I PMed to resend me copies of what I sent to them, and hope they didn't delete it.

Asmodeus
2006-07-24, 03:42 PM
Raw, any chance that mod I found will entice you towards a change?

I'm holding my breath over here.

Samiam303
2006-07-25, 12:42 PM
Awesome Idea!

My first hit from the search for YaBB mods:
http://www.boardmod.org/mods.php?searchfor=aimb_21_sp131.zipp
That one seems to do the trick, as well as a few other things. Looking for one that does only what we are asking for now.

That link seems to lead to a page with 0 results. ::)

Asmodeus
2006-07-25, 02:20 PM
How strange.

Well, to see the mod, just go to that website and search for Advanced IM Box.

You may have to dig through a few wrong ones, but its there.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-07-26, 12:06 PM

I know this was addressed already, and that there's apparently no way for YaBB to do multiple simultaneous deletes, in the manner of, say, every email client known to man.

I just wanted to complain about it a bit.

Ego Slayer
2006-07-26, 01:20 PM
Here's another annoyance: I just twice noticed that when I opened up the main forums page I wasn't logged in but on the second pages I had been typing on it was still logged in. And now It just completely logged me out even though it set to always stay on. Darn technology. ::)

Asmodeus
2006-07-26, 04:18 PM
I know this was addressed already, and that there's apparently no way for YaBB to do multiple simultaneous deletes, in the manner of, say, every email client known to man.

I just wanted to complain about it a bit.

Apparently, there is a way, since there is a MOD out there that does it.