PDA

View Full Version : Please help me. Browser problems.

Dhavaer
2008-09-02, 05:53 AM
Short version: I can get Firefox or Opera to work, and Internet Explorer works really, really badly.

Long version: I think it's down to antivirus programs. I started off with Norton Anti-Virus, which caused my computer to slow down to a crawl for about 15-30 minutes after I turned it on and intermittently afterwards. I then tried uninstalling it and downloadeda program called Avast! which was much better until its automatic update failed and it started constantly sending error messages. Firefox and Internet Explorer failed at the same time. I did a system restore, which got Internet Explorer working, and eventually Firefox started working again as well, but Avast! never recovered, and kept sending error messages. Norton also kept sending error messages claiming its settings were being changed by a hostile program i.e. its own uninstaller. I tried reinstalling Avast!, hoping to get an updated version and thus stave off the error messages for a while, but it didn't change anything.
About a month ago, it happened again; Firefox and Internet Explorer stopped working. I did three system restores, which eventually got IE working again, but Firefox is still deadweight. I just downloaded Opera today, and it's having the same problem as Firefox.

Internet Explorer works, after a fashion. It browses just fine, although it lacks some of the features I liked about Firefox (tabbing is the main one). The problem I'm having with it is that it takes 2-5 minutes after opening to become responsive. Any new IE window, whether I'm opening the program for the first time or a link is opening in a new window, will freeze the computer for 5-15 seconds and be entirely unresponsive (can't minimise, maximise, close, anything) for that 2-5 minute period. This is making the lack of tabbing feel much worse than it is.

Firefox and Opera simply don't work; they're entirely unable to connect to the internet.

Possibly important is that the problem is a software one; I've never lost the ability to use, say, MSN, so there's nothing wrong with the actual connection.

Can some tech-savvy Playgrounder please take a guess at what is afflicting my browsers?

Rawhide
2008-09-02, 06:16 AM
You didn't mention what version of Windows you were running.

I would suggest that you do everything possible to get rid of Norton and, although Avast is pretty good normally, AVG seems to be better (http://free.avg.com).

Try removing those programs entirely and installing AVG's free version first. Then you could try updating Internet Explorer to version 7 which does support tabs and may fix a faulty IE6.

Dhavaer
2008-09-02, 06:26 AM
Sorry, I'm using Windows XP. Beyond that, not sure. I'll try purging Norton and Avast! again. I've had problems trying to delete the remaining Norton files before, is there a particular trick to getting rid of Norton? I'll try and post the error message it gives me if it comes up again.

Edit: Okay, the file remaining is called NAVEVENT.DLL, and the error message is:

Cannot delete NAVEVENT: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in use.

It's not read only, and it doesn't show up on the processes tab in the task manager.

Rawhide
2008-09-02, 06:41 AM
Even Notron knows its programs are bad. (http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039)

Dhavaer
2008-09-02, 06:49 AM
Either my browser is failing at the intertubes again, or Norton's programs are so bad they've crashed their own website.

Rawhide
2008-09-02, 06:59 AM
Either my browser is failing at the intertubes again, or Norton's programs are so bad they've crashed their own website.

The latter I'm sure. Try this: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Dhavaer
2008-09-02, 08:04 AM
Ha hah! I'm posting this from Firefox. :smallbiggrin: Thanks, Rawhide.

Ashtar
2008-09-02, 08:26 AM
It's also possible you have a firewall on your computer that could be causing trouble. Do you have Zone Alarm or the Windows firewall on? Could these be causing trouble?

valadil
2008-09-02, 09:04 AM
Make sure you only have one antivirus program installed at a time. Two at once make windows behave very strangely and inconsistently. If I were you I'd download whichever one you're going to stick with (probably avg free), unplug from internet, uninstall all AV, reboot, install avg free, reboot, go back online.