PDA

View Full Version : Trail of Cthulhu

Comet
2008-09-02, 06:09 AM
Has anybody played this? Opinions?
I've been thinking about running a Mythos story for some time now, and this game seems somewhat better than the original Call of Cthulhu. Or is it? Apparently it doesn't quite have the randomness factor of CoC, as it is designed to be more fast-forward and fast-paced (you can't miss an important clue because of a failed skill check for example). Does this work in practice?

If anyone has given this new game a spin, share your opinions with the rest of us.

WalkingTarget
2008-09-02, 10:13 AM
I haven't had a chance to read or play this quite yet (a friend picked it up at GenCon, but I haven't had a chance to look through it yet), but some friends and I ran a few sessions of a Delta Green-ish game a while back using the Esoterrorists ruleset (also uses the Gumshoe system) and I think it worked ok.

The inability to miss clues simply because of a bad roll has the potential to keep the game moving forward, but having run a BRP CoC game I think that that's partly the job of a decent Keeper anyway. I think the major benefit would be that it isn't a percentile system (and I have several friends who really really dislike percentiles).

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-02, 10:35 AM
I think the major benefit would be that it isn't a percentile system (and I have several friends who really really dislike percentiles).

How are numbers from 0/1 to 99/100 different from any other range of numbers? It's just a "roll under skill" system...

WalkingTarget
2008-09-02, 11:40 AM
How are numbers from 0/1 to 99/100 different from any other range of numbers? It's just a "roll under skill" system...

Dunno. It just bugs them. I kind of like BRP, personally.