PDA

View Full Version : Epic level mounts 3.5

Blackfang108
2008-09-02, 09:58 AM
Hello all,

I am currently playing in an epic level campaign.

We will be having a massive war soon, and I've decided I'd like to ride into battle instead of walk the whole time.

I am playing a Human 20 Duskblade/2 Fighter, and was wondering what a decent mount would be.

a warhorse likely won't last for more than a few rounds (at best), even with strong barding, so I'd like some input from you guys.

Although, assuming it works, I'm gong to ask my DM for a Paragon(ELH template) Dire Wolf Warbeast(MMII Template).

Or is there a limit to the number of templates you can apply to a creature?

I have 700 Platinum as my absolute Maximum funds, and would like to spend something closer to 400 platinum.

Thanks in advance:

Edit: Also, my Ride skill isn't great (+8 total modifer), if that matters.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-02, 10:38 AM
Dragons, obviously. Dragons all the way.

hamishspence
2008-09-02, 10:41 AM
Most times, price is not explicitly stated. In general the really interesting mounts are obtained via the Leadership ability. Only in epic cities (Sigil, Brass, Union) might you see barkers going "dragons, get yer great wyrm dragons here, two for the price of one"

Blackfang108
2008-09-02, 10:52 AM
Well, Sigil is the main commerece Hub in the campaign, being close.

The only reason I mention price is because I doubt my DM will let me buy a dragon.

The Warbeastr template has a specific price being 75*HD + 100g.

I'll try to get a dragon... what would be best, as a CN character?

EDIT: and Leadership was not a valid feat. (It never is, with my DMs. They see it as overpowered.)

BRC
2008-09-02, 10:57 AM
Forget Dire Wolves, I would apply all those template to a rhino and get some horseshoes of speed for it. Then get a lance and charge everything in sight.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-02, 10:59 AM
Forget Dire Wolves, I would apply all those template to a rhino and get some horseshoes of speed for it. Then get a lance and charge everything in sight.If you're doing that, advance it 1HD so it can take feats and give it Powerful Charge. Just to be Evil.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-02, 11:04 AM
There's no way you'd have multiple (big, true) dragons on sale on Sigil like horses at a stable. A single dragon-buying opportunity starting on Sigil would be an interesting plane-hopping adventure of betrayal and unusual deals, though.

BRC
2008-09-02, 11:07 AM
If you're doing that, advance it 1HD so it can take feats and give it Powerful Charge. Just to be Evil.

Rhino's already get powerful charge as an extraordinary ability according to the SRD.

Blackfang108
2008-09-02, 11:34 AM
If you're doing that, advance it 1HD so it can take feats and give it Powerful Charge. Just to be Evil.

No way in Hades would my DM allow THAT. and if he did, it wouldn't be within my budget.

Edit: To clarify, I CAN apply more than one template to a monster?

I've never messed around with making a monster before.

The Glyphstone
2008-09-02, 11:38 AM
Whatever you pick, make sure it can fly. Flight is a crucial advantage at any levels, and Epic more so. If you're not flying, even a non-caster will be able to pwn you if they are.

Copacetic
2008-09-02, 11:39 AM
Buy a kraken. Give it a ring of flying and a necklace of adaptation. Go to town with your new flying grappling beast.

Frosty
2008-09-02, 11:43 AM
You're EPIC and your DM isn't allowing you a semi-decent mount? Jeez.

Blackfang108
2008-09-02, 11:44 AM
Buy a kraken. Give it a ring of flying and a necklace of adaptation. Go to town with your new flying grappling beast.

For one of my DMs this would be sweet Irony, as his punishment for Meta- Excessive OoC, or just feeling annoyed is a Kraken...

is there any way this would be within my budget?

Draken
2008-09-02, 11:44 AM
Krakens are too inteligent and too lawful evil for a Chaotic Neutral character.

I suggest a Nightmare, personally. A cauchemar would be a good choice as well.

I know you don't have Leadership, but the cauchemar is considered a 19° level cohort. It is an intelligent creature, so you can probably pay it as a mercenary.

Blackfang108
2008-09-02, 11:50 AM
You're EPIC and your DM isn't allowing you a semi-decent mount? Jeez.

In all fairness, in a campaign with around, 10-12 characters, I'll be the first one with a mount that isn't a Companion.
(not all playing at once, mind you. we're all doing different things.
Me - Making money with Tensers(sp?). I came in late so had little in the way of cash. Comparatively still do. I just got my AC over 20)

Maybe I can quest to get a Dragon as my mount...

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-02, 11:50 AM
You only have 7,000 GP. That's really not enough for any epic mounts, especially not like what you are talking about.

Blackfang108
2008-09-02, 11:57 AM
You only have 7,000 GP. That's really not enough for any epic mounts, especially not like what you are talking about.

Hence the reason I mentioned my budget.

I only have even that much because I noticed how much the Iron Bands of Binding are worth and decided I needed something better than a masterwork brestplate.

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-02, 12:03 PM
Hence the reason I mentioned my budget.

I only have even that much because I noticed how much the Iron Bands of Binding are worth and decided I needed something better than a masterwork brestplate.

Yes, but a Pegasus is 4k.

crazedloon
2008-09-02, 12:05 PM
level 20 ogre monk :smallbiggrin: with a land speed of 100ft give him some other speed enhancers and you will be breaking the speed of light soon enough

chiasaur11
2008-09-02, 12:09 PM
Terrasque.

Yes. It is both outside your budget, and probably not for sale anyway, but dang that'd be fun.

hamishspence
2008-09-02, 12:34 PM
Last I checked, not many creatures have a price tag. It is generally DM's discretion if a mount-type creature is available to buy, and/or has price tag: legendary horse or dire horse, for example. Or bigger and meaner.

hamishspence
2008-09-02, 12:36 PM
Was jokey reference to Myth novel setting, where at the bazaar, dragons really are for sale. Union, as the epic commercial captial of the multiverse, might fit better.

Blackfang108
2008-09-02, 12:47 PM
Terrasque.

Yes. It is both outside your budget, and probably not for sale anyway, but dang that'd be fun.

yeah, it would.

assuming I could keep the bloody thing under control.

But, we're fairly sure we'll have to kill it later. It has one of the MacGuffins.

I should probably note that Fear effects will likely be more damaging to my allies, as what we're fighting won't be human, and probably not intelligent. animated corpses seems the likely culprit, although none of us are exactly sure...

And regarding our DMs discretion, If I make a good enough arguement, He'll probably let me buy one.

and, as I mentioned, the Warbeast template has a specific price formula, and may be applied to Animals, Vermin, and Beasts.

Hence the Dire Paragon Wolf Warbeast...

The Glyphstone
2008-09-02, 01:19 PM
Step 1: Find an Effigy Master.
Step 2; Pay/bribe/Threaten him to build you a Roc effigy - Dire, Warbeast, Paragon templates all optional, as Effigy's cost is based off of the HD...so free stat boosts ftw. This may be above 7,000G, so talk with the DM to get you a massive discount if possible.
Step 3: Ensure that the head or chest of the effigy is hollow, and install controls.
Step 4: Fly into battle inside your GIANT BIRD PLANE. :0

Blackfang108
2008-09-02, 01:32 PM
Step 1: Find an Effigy Master.
Step 2; Pay/bribe/Threaten him to build you a Roc effigy - Dire, Warbeast, Paragon templates all optional, as Effigy's cost is based off of the HD...so free stat boosts ftw. This may be above 7,000G, so talk with the DM to get you a massive discount if possible.
Step 3: Ensure that the head or chest of the effigy is hollow, and install controls.
Step 4: Fly into battle inside your GIANT BIRD PLANE. :0

*Jaw hits floor*

*picks jaw up*

Um... Which sourcebook would this be in? So I can look for this later...

Edit: Complete Arcane. Good. (thanks to Ham.)

hamishspence
2008-09-02, 01:34 PM
Effigies and Effigy Master prestige class are in Complete Arcane.

metalbear
2008-09-02, 05:06 PM
If not for the lack of funds, I would suggest the Battletitan dinosaur from MM3 (costs 100,000 gp). However if you are willing to "borrow" one of these mounts and "convince" the rider to tell you the secret signals to ride it you will have an epically cool mount. If 486 hp, 35 ac, and a +41 bite attack does not seem epic enough you could always ask your DM to advance it some HD.

Vexxation
2008-09-02, 05:14 PM
Eh, forget going with normal mounts.

You need to be riding dragons. Twin chromatic dragons, standing with one foot on each. And they should be Great Wyrms. With Class levels. Also, you should hire a fine elven maiden to follow around, singing your praises in a tone so sweet as to make men weep.

Thank you, DM of the Rings.

chiasaur11
2008-09-02, 05:38 PM
Eh, forget going with normal mounts.

You need to be riding dragons. Twin chromatic dragons, standing with one foot on each. And they should be Great Wyrms. With Class levels. Also, you should hire a fine elven maiden to follow around, singing your praises in a tone so sweet as to make men weep.

Thank you, DM of the Rings.

I guess that'll do.

I mean, until you can afford something better.

UglyPanda
2008-09-02, 06:08 PM
Wait, am I reading this right? 700 platinum meaning 7000 gp? That's very little. The wealth by level recommendations say a 20th level PC should have at least 760,000 gp worth of stuff. I understand if your DM is playing a low-magic/low-wealth game (Which I would not recommend for an Epic-Level campaign since it takes the glamour out of it), but if he's not, you're getting screwed.

Coming in later for a campaign isn't an excuse to not be allowed decent equipment. Does your DM assume your PC sleepwalked to epic level? You had to have done something to get that strong, and whatever it is, you got rewarded for it.

By the way, a Roc effigy costs 61,000 gp.

BRC
2008-09-02, 06:27 PM
Wait, am I reading this right? 700 platinum meaning 7000 gp? That's very little. The wealth by level recommendations say a 20th level PC should have at least 760,000 gp worth of stuff. I understand if your DM is playing a low-magic/low-wealth game (Which I would not recommend for an Epic-Level campaign since it takes the glamour out of it), but if he's not, you're getting screwed.

Coming in later for a campaign isn't an excuse to not be allowed decent equipment. Does your DM assume your PC sleepwalked to epic level? You had to have done something to get that strong, and whatever it is, you got rewarded for it.

Or maybe he spent all his gold on other stuff, the 7000 is just what he's earmarked for mounts.

Copacetic
2008-09-02, 06:33 PM
Or maybe he spent all his gold on other stuff, the 7000 is just what he's earmarked for mounts.

I doubt it, seeing as he has an AC of 20....

Blackfang108
2008-09-03, 09:03 AM

Everyone came into the campaign with: The clothes on their back (mostly) and a weapon, at level 22 (it's a no-exp campaign). I also got a buckler. I had to borrow money to buy my Keen Halberd. (I've paid him back.)

Our characters in campaign are us. I was sent from the "real" world to our campaign world, and have been adventuring on my own at Tensers for several sessions, now, occasionally stopping off at my friend's keep (earned the hard way) to keep tabs on everyone.

we're decidely NOT playing a low magic game. In fact, spontaneous spellcasters are set up beautifully. (We can cast any spell so long as it is on our spell list. In my case, I can petition the DM for splatbook spells, as Duskblade otherwise draws from only PHBI&II).

As to Low Wealth, we Start with low wealth. My Halberd is now a Keen, GhostTouch +1 weapon. (and Shiny. Did I mention Shiny?)

Also, I have less than I though to spend. about 6k Gold.

I was doing everything from memory, and had forgotten about the Ring of Sustanance. (I want one IRL.)

I was going through the Draconomicon last evening and have decided on one of Three Dragon types to entreat for aid.

The Fang Dragons (CN love to fight. No breath weapon, though. Drains CON instead)
The Battle Dragons on Ysgard (Love to fight.)
or
Copper (Mostly because they're smart-alecks.)

As a caster specializing in Cold, I thought about a White Dragon, but I don't see a CE Intelligent mount as a bright idea...

Also, on the subject of riding two dragons at once: My Ride modifer, unencumbered, is +8.

Person_Man
2008-09-03, 09:05 AM
Any dragon with access to Polymorph.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-03, 09:35 AM
How is it even theoretically possible for a Duskblade - a melee combatant - to survive 22nd-level encounters with AC ~20 and 7,000 gp in wealth?

Blackfang108
2008-09-03, 09:47 AM
How is it even theoretically possible for a Duskblade - a melee combatant - to survive 22nd-level encounters with AC ~20 and 7,000 gp in wealth?

I'm just that good.

With one exception, nothing has lasted all that long with me.

8 4th level spells.
6 5th level spells.
Chain Spell
Arcane Thesis on Polar Ray.

Lord of the Uttercold (dear lord I love this feat.)
Disentegrate (If I don't need it whole.)
Subdual Substitution(Sonic) (If I do.)

Keen GhostTouch Halberd +1
And lots of friends.

The one time I was close to 0, I had forgotten to add my Con modifer to my HP. I have 274. (rolled well.)

I've been lucky, and Tensers always pairs me with Competant NPCs.

EDIT: I forgot something else: Improved combat casting. I don't incur AoO when casting. Ever. So I get in everything's face, hit it with a touch of fatigue, and then blast it with a quickened spell.

I am harm incarnate.