PDA

View Full Version : This is probably a stupid question

ScionofImperius
2008-09-02, 03:11 PM
But I will ask anyway. If my character dies and is true resurrected a week later at the temple by his party, what happens to his body? What if his body had raise dead cast on it afterward? would it fail? if they were both cast simultaneously would they cancel each other out? We spent an hour arguing about this at my last game night.

valadil
2008-09-02, 03:14 PM
Your character has one soul. It can only be in one place at a time.

As a GM I'd rule that True Rez gives you a new body. I suppose that if you died again Raise Dead applied to your old body could work. Cast while you were alive in another body, Raise Dead would have no effect.

fractic
2008-09-02, 03:15 PM
But I will ask anyway. If my character dies and is true resurrected a week later at the temple by his party, what happens to his body?

His body would still be somewhere rotting away.

What if his body had raise dead cast on it afterward? would it fail?

It would indeed fail. The soul of the formerly dead is already back from the afterlife.

if they were both cast simultaneously would they cancel each other out? We spent an hour arguing about this at my last game night.

The soul hears a call when someone casts a resurection spell. It would obiously only be able to respond to one call. At least by common sense.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-02, 03:28 PM
if they were both cast simultaneously would they cancel each other out? We spent an hour arguing about this at my last game night.

In the highly unlikely event that the two spells were cast at the exact same time I think that there are three reasonable approaches to choose from, the two spells canceling each other out not being one of them.

In no particular order:

1. The most powerful spell prevails
2. The creature decides which spell to respond to, if any
3. Roll 1d2

fractic
2008-09-02, 03:29 PM
In no particular order:

3. Roll 1d2

The spells say that the soul knows who casts the spell and can choose not to come back. This would really suggest 2.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-02, 03:39 PM
The spells say that the soul knows who casts the spell and can choose not to come back. This would really suggest 2.

It says that? :smallamused:

fractic
2008-09-02, 03:41 PM
It says that? :smallamused:

Hmm small mistakes the spells do indeed not state that. It is stated on page 171 of the PHB under "bringing back the dead" and then "Revivification againts One's Will" though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-02, 03:45 PM
Hmm small mistakes the spells do indeed not state that. It is stated on page 171 of the PHB under "bringing back the dead" and then "Revivification againts One's Will" though.

That is true:)

Arros Winhadren
2008-09-02, 04:46 PM
Now what would be creepy is if someone cast Animate Dead on your old corpse. In fact, I imagine good fun can be had with say, a level 20 Healer and some other adventurer. If True Rez can give you a new body, then every day just get killed and True Rezzed. Then Animate Dead your old body. Soon you'll have an army of zombie clones!

Knaight
2008-09-02, 04:50 PM
Seeing as there are clone spells or powers, there are cheaper methods here.

Tokiko Mima
2008-09-02, 05:40 PM
In the highly unlikely event that the two spells were cast at the exact same time I think that there are three reasonable approaches to choose from, the two spells canceling each other out not being one of them.

In no particular order:

3. Roll 1d2

If the 1d2 lands on something other than 1 or 2, somewhere out there does a Crusader begin crying? :smalltongue:

Reinboom
2008-09-02, 05:45 PM
My ruling would be that the two spellcasters roll initiative to determine which goes off first, of course, unaware of why they are rolling init (unless they can actively see each other)

Zeta Kai
2008-09-02, 06:22 PM
Now what would be creepy is if someone cast Animate Dead on your old corpse.

Such a thing seems likely to happen to Roy in a future Order of the Stick comic.

Shh! Don't tell anyone!

Flickerdart
2008-09-02, 06:30 PM
Such a thing seems likely to happen to Roy in a future Order of the Stick comic.

Shh! Don't tell anyone!
His body is destroyed in the process of making him a bone golem. You can't use a golem to Raise Dead.

fractic
2008-09-02, 06:30 PM
His body is destroyed in the process of making him a bone golem. You can't use a golem to Raise Dead.

They're still his bones right? That would count as remains.

monty
2008-09-02, 06:33 PM
This is probably a stupid question

You know, that's really not a good way to start a thread.

Seeing as there are clone spells or powers, there are cheaper methods here.

Yeah, but either way, zombie clones are awesome.

Flickerdart
2008-09-02, 06:33 PM
They're still his bones right? That would count as remains.
They don't count as that anymore. The bones were consumed as a material component in making the golem. When you craft an item, the item will no longer serve as any of the component parts.

fractic
2008-09-02, 06:35 PM
They don't count as that anymore. The bones were consumed as a material component in making the golem. When you craft an item, the item will no longer serve as any of the component parts.

That's reasonable. Still it's probably up to DM interpretation.

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-02, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but either way, zombie clones are awesome.

Ah, but you can kill the clones. Cheaper, and you still get zombie clones.

Vonriel
2008-09-02, 07:09 PM
I had this vision of a necromancer BBEG doing this to a character every time it's killed and true rez'd. Eventually the pcs would come up against a zombie army.. of themselves..

NEO|Phyte
2008-09-02, 07:12 PM
If the 1d2 lands on something other than 1 or 2, somewhere out there does a Crusader begin crying? :smalltongue:

...I've started a trend, haven't I.

Anyway, to answer the OP, the former body becomes inert flesh that cannot be returned to life (speculation based on Clone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/clone.htm), which is the only body-replacing resurrection spell to say what happens with the old body, if it still exists), and the resurrectee would get to pick which 'call' to answer, based on the name, alignment, and patron deity (if any) of the person(s) doing the resurrecting.

monty
2008-09-02, 07:14 PM
"You won't just let me assume it's infinite? Fine, I'll just keep rolling until it adds up to enough. Two. Two. Two. Two. Two. Three. Tw...wait, three? What the hell?"

shadow_archmagi
2008-09-02, 07:18 PM
"You won't just let me assume it's infinite? Fine, I'll just keep rolling until it adds up to enough. Two. Two. Two. Two. Two. Three. Tw...wait, three? What the hell?"

"Two. Two. Two. Two. Two. I've done enough damage to kill it."

"So? You haven't finished rolling damage. Obviously your turn isn't over. Keep flipping that coin until you've got total damage."

monty
2008-09-02, 07:19 PM
"Two. Two. Two. Two. Two. I've done enough damage to kill it."

"So? You haven't finished rolling damage. Obviously your turn isn't over. Keep flipping that coin until you've got total damage."

However, it specifically says that you may reroll when you get max damage. You can always voluntarily end it.

Starbuck_II
2008-09-02, 08:21 PM
Now what would be creepy is if someone cast Animate Dead on your old corpse. In fact, I imagine good fun can be had with say, a level 20 Healer and some other adventurer. If True Rez can give you a new body, then every day just get killed and True Rezzed. Then Animate Dead your old body. Soon you'll have an army of zombie clones!

Even bette someone casts Greater Create Undead to make a vampire of old body after a Cleric Teue Resurrects you.

So there is a Vampire and a Living version of you out there. That would be cool now that I think of it.

EvilElitest
2008-09-02, 08:25 PM
in my games, if you get true ressed without your body (IE, they bring you back without your body) and somebody casts another spell on the body, a doppleganger (not the D&D monster, the other kind) is raised
from
EE

Xuincherguixe
2008-09-02, 08:39 PM
Not that stupid. But it was answered anyways. The stupid question would be, "If an attempt to resurrect someone is made twice, does that mean that a new king needs to be elected?"

Tormsskull
2008-09-02, 09:29 PM
My ruling would be that the two spellcasters roll initiative to determine which goes off first, of course, unaware of why they are rolling init (unless they can actively see each other)

That would be a totally awesome way to mess with a player.

"I cast true rez, diamonds in hand."
"Roll Initiative"
"Bwah?"

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-02, 09:33 PM
I just thought of the only use for a 10th level Green Spice Addict. Kill it, mine it's body, then cast True Resurrection. Then kill it and mine it again. And again. And then sell the green dust to other fools(I mean GSA's).:smallcool:

Dairun Cates
2008-09-02, 09:58 PM
The Probably Stupid Answer: Free Clone Spell.

MisterSaturnine
2008-09-02, 11:32 PM
I just thought of the only use for a 10th level Green Spice Addict. Kill it, mine it's body, then cast True Resurrection. Then kill it and mine it again. And again. And then sell the green dust to other fools(I mean GSA's).:smallcool:

Yes, but imagine this: you use the infinite starmetal mine to make a bunch of other GSAs. If there are enough, surely they'd be competent! Also, people will put anything in their noses these days, so the GSA gives potential for infinite wealth!

Also, you obviously haven't seen my GSA build. I call it the "Two-Face" Build. Y'see, you take a bunch of cross-class ranks in UMD...:smallwink:

monty
2008-09-03, 12:23 AM
Not that stupid. But it was answered anyways. The stupid question would be, "If an attempt to resurrect someone is made twice, does that mean that a new king needs to be elected?"

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people asking questions.