PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Tenebrous Apostate Question

mabriss lethe
2008-09-03, 12:35 AM
I was just reading through the Tenebrous Apostate PrC in Tome of Magic. Something struck me as a bit off.

Eternal bondage. I'm not certain exactly what it should be doing. Does it grant you another bound vestige slot that's permanently set aside for Tenebrous or does it simply take one of your existing vestige slots and permanently dedicate it to the Big T?

If it's the former, that's actually pretty good. Tenebrous isn't a half-bad vestige. If it's the latter...that's sort of cruddy, since one of the hallmarks of the binder is the ability to shift your focus based on the vestiges you pick, and permanently anchoring one of those vestige slots goes a long way toward crippling the class.

(however, potentially infinite divine feat usage is pretty nifty. Yes, it specifically states that T's Turn/rebuke power is usable with divine feats. and that could go a long way to making the PrC all better in the end.)

Draken
2008-09-03, 12:52 AM
The wording indicates that you gain an extra vestige slot to bind.

And yea. Tenebrous gives you infine Rebuke attempts. Only one every five rounds, however, limits a bit what you can Divine Feat with.

Namely, limits your uses of DMM somewhat. Just a bit, however, not much.

mabriss lethe
2008-09-03, 08:57 AM
Thanks. I'd sort of hoped that was what they meant, but with PrCs and slightly obfusicated wording, you can never be too certain. As for the Joys of DMM Persist/ other divine feats, if you already have access to turn/rebuke from another source (say from a level or two of cleric before entering the PrC.) Tenebrous lets you mitigate that already "discounted" cost for DMM significantly. Looks like you could use a TA for a pretty viscious character.

Chronos
2008-09-03, 11:57 AM
The wording indicates that you gain an extra vestige slot to bind.It looks to me like the opposite, what with specifically saying that you can't bind any other vestige in place of Tenebrous. If it were just a free extra binding, that wouldn't really be relevant.

hamlet
2008-09-03, 11:58 AM
I would just like to point out a stupid little thing: the phrase "The Big T" is generally used to refer to Tharizdun, not Tenebrous.

Thank you, that is all.

Kyeudo
2008-09-03, 12:05 PM
I would just like to point out a stupid little thing: the phrase "The Big T" is generally used to refer to Tharizdun, not Tenebrous.

Thank you, that is all.

I thought Big T was the Tarasque.

hamlet
2008-09-03, 12:16 PM
I thought Big T was the Tarasque.

Nope. Always been Tharizdun in my experience.

Sinfire Titan
2008-09-03, 12:34 PM
The wording indicates that you gain an extra vestige slot to bind.

And yea. Tenebrous gives you infine Rebuke attempts. Only one every five rounds, however, limits a bit what you can Divine Feat with.

Namely, limits your uses of DMM somewhat. Just a bit, however, not much.

Well, it does allow you to spam Extra Turning on your feats list.

Chronos
2008-09-03, 02:21 PM
I've always seen "Big T" as the Tarrasque, in a D&D context at least. Who's Tharizdun?

A Google search confirms: The phrase "Big T" shows up 56 times on this board, but "Big T" -tarrasque only returns 29, most of which seem to be referring to the capital letter. "big T" tharizdun only returns a single hit.

Stupendous_Man
2008-09-03, 02:30 PM
kinkiness.

hamlet
2008-09-03, 02:44 PM
I've always seen "Big T" as the Tarrasque, in a D&D context at least. Who's Tharizdun?

A Google search confirms: The phrase "Big T" shows up 56 times on this board, but "Big T" -tarrasque only returns 29, most of which seem to be referring to the capital letter. "big T" tharizdun only returns a single hit.

"Who's Tharizdun"?

I'm sorry, you must now turn in your D&D books and report to an extermination chamber.

Wiki-Tharizdun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tharizdun)

22 Questions and Answers about Tharizdun (http://ulmo.mux.net/greyhawk/tharizdun.html)

I'm sorry, that's just . . . wrong.

MisterSaturnine
2008-09-03, 06:32 PM
Maybe we could just have them all face back to back, measure them, and then from there decide who's Big T, who's Little T, and who's Shorter-Than-Big-T-And-Yet-Not-Quite-So-Small-As-Little-T.

I don't have the firmest grasp of the rules (I understand them, I just don't know some of them by heart. Like grappling...) but I just picked up the Tome of Magic, and...

I have no idea whether or not it means you get Tenebrous as an extra vestige, or taking up one of the slots. I'm leaning towards him taking up an existing slot, mostly because the wording makes me want to think so, and also because you advance Cleric casting which increases your versatility somewhat anyway[/]. Not a [I]lot, persay, because there's only 5 levels of the class and you need a minimum 5 levels of binder (with the Improved Binding feat) just to qualify, which means you miss out on 9th level spells. And possibly 8th. But you do get some nice stuff to add to the mix.

Starbuck_II
2008-09-03, 06:50 PM
"Who's Tharizdun"?

I'm sorry, you must now turn in your D&D books and report to an extermination chamber.

Wiki-Tharizdun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tharizdun)

22 Questions and Answers about Tharizdun (http://ulmo.mux.net/greyhawk/tharizdun.html)

I'm sorry, that's just . . . wrong.

He is not well know because he is high level.
He is in 4th edition as a god but I never heard much about him much except in 2nd. Never in 3rd.

hamlet
2008-09-04, 07:19 AM
He is in 4th edition as a god but I never heard much about him much except in 2nd. Never in 3rd.

This utterly depresses me, especially since Tharizdun has been part of the D&D mythos since . . . ever.

It hurts me, deep down at the bottom of my heart. Or maybe the heart of my bottom, whichever.

I see that 4th edition has pretty much raped Tharizdun, so I'll just go now and weep quietly in the corner.

Thurbane
2008-09-04, 08:39 AM
Nope. Always been Tharizdun in my experience.
I'm afraid you're both wrong!

http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/05/MrT3.jpg

Thurbane
2008-09-04, 09:03 PM
Tharizdun got some (admittedly very small) coverage in 3E, most notably in Lords of Madness...

namo
2008-09-05, 07:26 AM
I've always taken it to mean that Tenebrous always occupies one of your slots - it would be considerably more powerful otherwise.

On this board, indeed, Big T = Tarrasque.

Isn't Tharizdun Greyhawk-ian ? That would explain why many people haven't heard about him. I know him from the Temple of Elemental Evil but that's about it.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-09-05, 12:12 PM
I figure it's Tenebrous gets an extra slot... Wording it so you can't bind another vestige in the slot is like saying a Conjuror can't fill his extra spell slot with anything but conjurations...

MisterSaturnine
2008-09-05, 12:58 PM
I'm afraid you're both wrong!

http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/05/MrT3.jpg

OK, that settles it. We all know who the real Big T is now. And I pity the fool who disagrees.