PDA

View Full Version : How good is the Sohei Oriental Adventures class? (3.5)

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-03, 03:21 AM
I was looking through Oriental Adventures, and I found on interresting-looking class called the Sohei, but I'm not sure if it's particularly strong (the fact that it's a combination Paladin/Barbarian/Monk makes it hard to tell). What do you guys think about the class?

Darrin
2008-09-03, 06:52 AM
I was looking through Oriental Adventures, and I found on interresting-looking class called the Sohei, but I'm not sure if it's particularly strong (the fact that it's a combination Paladin/Barbarian/Monk makes it hard to tell). What do you guys think about the class?

Never seen it played, but looking it over...

Looks pretty weak, like they wanted to nerf a paladin. It's hard to figure out what the focus of the class is supposed to be... if melee is supposed to be its thing, then a full BAB would have helped. But it's not a caster, either... the paladin-like spell-progression is very limited, and looks like it should be supporting some other role. But it's not a skill monkey, and it doesn't have enough class features to be anything else. The ki frenzy thing looks like they might have been going for a watered-down barbarian.

I'd avoid it. If you want a holy warrior, the paladin is stronger. If you want a rage/frenzy thing, a barbarian does it better and has full BAB and better skill points. If you want a monkish kinda thing... I think a monk gets better class features, but you'd be much better off with a swordsage.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-03, 08:09 AM
Thanks for telling me (I'm not sure if I really wanted to play as one, but I'm curious about how balanced it is).

Kaiyanwang
2008-09-03, 08:30 AM
You mean the Sohei as is in OA or the revamped version in Dragon Magazine 318?

The first is not so good but the second is playable. I like the concept of this hard warrior who can cast spell and make a flurry of blows with martial weapons.

Maybe you can make it good expanding a little the spell list, and make available for the Sohei a feat like the Paladin's Battle Blessing in Complete Champion (the character concept is similar in some aspects so doesn't seem weird to me).

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-03, 09:13 AM
How was the Dragon Magazine version different to the OA version? I've only seen the OA version.

Person_Man
2008-09-03, 09:18 AM
Off the top of my head, I'd say that most half casters are (Paladin, Ranger) nerfed without special assistance (Share Spells, Battle Blessing, Sword of the Arcane Order, spells from splat books). Sohei really doesn't get any.

Melee classes generally need a source of bonus damage, usually precision damage or the Power Attack feats. But with mediocre BAB, Sohei can expect Monk level damage output (poor).

Kaiyanwang
2008-09-03, 10:26 AM
Is in the OA update (Dr Magaz 318). DR augmented to 5/-, Frenzy scales a little like the barbarian (+6 Str and Dex at high levels). Not so much, but better than before :smalltongue:

For the other things, Person men is right, but I think you can improve the Sohei without a big effort. I insist* that a sort of Battle Blessing refluffed and a small expansion of the spell list with enhancing spell (for weapons and movement, or so) can make a viable Sohei. Some build utilizing Iaijutsu focus? Not for High-powered campaigns, anyway.

*maybe because I love the class concept :smallwink: