PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

DM_of_the_Lazy
2008-09-03, 03:55 AM
ok im making a character and it is level 8. it is going to be a monk with vow of poverty, but the monk will have a plus 2 level adjustment, so my character will be ECL 8 but only lvl 6 monk. now my question is do i get the vow of poverty abilities as tho i am level 8 or level 6 since i am lvl 6 monk but ECL 8?

tyckspoon
2008-09-03, 03:57 AM
Level 6. LA adjustments only count for how much XP you need to level and (IIRC, anyway) your wealth-by-level allotment. Just about everything else in the game that cares about level goes by your actual level.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-03, 04:01 AM
The table refers to Character Level, which, strictly, is not the same as Effective Character Level - it's the same as Hit Dice. (In practice, anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong as definitions go.) However, I'd throw myself at the mercy of the DM. Level adjustment is bitter enough to swallow without being set back in your equipment (or "equipment", in this case).

Douglas
2008-09-03, 01:06 PM
By strict RAW, the bonuses are based on character level, which does not include level adjustment. By RAI, the bonuses are meant to replace equipment, and your budget for that is normally based on ECL. Ask your DM, and point out that it's replacing equipment and that Wealth By Level is based on ECL rather than character level.