PDA

View Full Version : What is a "kid"?

thubby
2008-09-03, 03:58 AM
this is something I have been rolling around in my head for a while. what age group would you consider to be a "kid". my relatives think of me as a kid, even if I am over 18. my grandparents think of anyone under 40 as a kid.
personally, my mental image of a kid is generally someone <14.
what do you think?

Castaras
2008-09-03, 04:01 AM
A kid is someone who's younger than you.

Or the same age as you.

Or under 18.

All depends on what your point of view is. :smalltongue: I'd say that nearly everyone's still a kid. If only, a big kid.

Emperor Ing
2008-09-03, 04:02 AM
After a bit of thought, I came up with this general figure
Anybody half your age or less.

But there are exceptions.

Threeshades
2008-09-03, 04:06 AM
I'm a kid!

:smallsmile:

see?

Dumbledore lives
2008-09-03, 04:07 AM
I don't think age has as much to do with it as people think. It definitely has some effect, but I know a 21 year old I would classify as a kid, because of how she acts. How mature people are definitely affects what I think of them. Also if someone is younger than you it affects how much of a kid they are.

banjo1985
2008-09-03, 04:30 AM
I'd personally classify anyone <16 to be a kid, as this includes my younger sister.

Thing is, I'll probably still think that when she's 21, purely because the moment she becomes 'not a kid' is the moment when I finally cannot escape the fact that I'm old. :smalleek:

bosssmiley
2008-09-03, 04:35 AM
A kid is someone who's younger than you.
Or the same age as you.
Or under 18.
All depends on what your point of view is. :smalltongue: I'd say that nearly everyone's still a kid. If only, a big kid.

I am a bitter old fart, and I endorse Castaras' position on this matter.

Anyone who things Harry Potter is original is a kid.
Anyone who thinks GW ripped off Blizzard is a kid.
Anyone who thinks "300" is more than a music video with pretensions is a kid.
Anyone who doesn't remember the TV shows from when I was young is a kid.
Anyone who thinks there are more than 3 Star Wars or Indiana Jones movies is a kid.
Anyone who fails to KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! (and admit his superiority to Lex Luthor as a Superman villain) is a kid.
Anyone who thinks that Batman began with either Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" or with Christian 'grunt, growl' Bale is a kid.

"Whatcha doin' dear?"
"Mining the lawn..." :smallamused:

Klose_the_Sith
2008-09-03, 04:46 AM
A girl who needs to be teased is referred to as "kid" otherwise I don't use the word

Tirian
2008-09-03, 04:52 AM
A kid is anyone who is playing on my lawn, dagnabit. *shakes fist*

Smoke
2008-09-03, 04:55 AM
People who don't have big, everyday responsibilities.

dish
2008-09-03, 05:06 AM
Isn't it a baby goat? Sorry.

What the posters above said. 'Kid' is a synonym for 'child' or 'young person' and definitions of 'child' and 'young person' will vary according to the definer's age.

Also: in certain British English dialects, 'our kid' refers to 'my brother' - and it doesn't matter whether the brother in question is older or younger than the speaker.

Phase
2008-09-03, 05:13 AM
A small being to be forced into labor...

I kid, I kid...

Puns!

ghost_warlock
2008-09-03, 05:14 AM
This is one that's sort of been baffling me for a while, too.

When I was in college for the second time around, during my mid-20's, there was a friend of mine who referred to me as a "cool kid" even though she was 4-5 years younger than me. :smallconfused:

All depends on what your point of view is. I'd say that nearly everyone's still a kid. If only, a big kid.

Yeah, I agree; it's an extremely subjective word.

Lappy9000
2008-09-03, 05:16 AM
this is something I have been rolling around in my head for a while. what age group would you consider to be a "kid". my relatives think of me as a kid, even if I am over 18. my grandparents think of anyone under 40 as a kid.
personally, my mental image of a kid is someone <14.
what do you think?

A baby goat/group of baby goats playing D20.

Kaihaku
2008-09-03, 06:04 AM
Isn't it a baby goat? Sorry.

That's what I always thought.

Here's looking at you, Kid.

It's someone younger than you. Probably someone you feel a limited degree of nostalgia/fondness towards. Kids... *goofy shrug and grin*

Zar Peter
2008-09-03, 06:30 AM
I'd personally classify anyone <16 to be a kid, as this includes my younger sister.

Thing is, I'll probably still think that when she's 21, purely because the moment she becomes 'not a kid' is the moment when I finally cannot escape the fact that I'm old. :smalleek:

You can never get old, kid! You are younger than me! If you are old, what am I?
(My current definition till when I feel old: When my youngest son attends at school. My definition of feeling old after that: When I become grandfather...)

DigoDragon
2008-09-03, 06:37 AM
I agree with the idea it's all on perspective. I'm 30 with a daughter and I've been called a kid still. Of course I counter that anyone who calls me kid is old enough to be called "Old Fart" :smallbiggrin:

Tormsskull
2008-09-03, 06:42 AM
I'd say under 18.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-03, 06:48 AM
Under 18.
Under 13.
Younger then you.
Mentally younger then you.
A baby goat.

Also, if you're above 18, anybody calling you a kid(not a cool kid), you can call a old fart.:smalltongue:

Zephra
2008-09-03, 07:33 AM
newborn 0-9 months
baby 9 months -2 yrs
toddler 2-3
"Little" kid 4-9
Kid (tween) 10-13
"Big" kid 14-16
almost grown 17-18
grown 19 and up

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-03, 07:41 AM
I am a bitter old fart, and I endorse Castaras' position on this matter.

Anyone who things Harry Potter is original is a kid.
Anyone who thinks GW ripped off Blizzard is a kid.
Anyone who thinks "300" is more than a music video with pretensions is a kid.
Anyone who doesn't remember the TV shows from when I was young is a kid.
Anyone who thinks there are more than 3 Star Wars or Indiana Jones movies is a kid.
Anyone who fails to KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! (and admit his superiority to Lex Luthor as a Superman villain) is a kid.
Anyone who thinks that Batman began with either Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" or with Christian 'grunt, growl' Bale is a kid.

So I'am pretty much not a kid?:smallannoyed:

Holammer
2008-09-03, 07:41 AM
Under 18.
Under 13.
Younger then you.
Mentally younger then you.
A baby goat.

Also, if you're above 18, anybody calling you a kid(not a cool kid), you can call a old fart.:smalltongue:

Dallas nailed that one. I myself tend to use "kid" in a pejorative sense now and then. Sorta like "kids today brag about Xbox achievements like it actually meant something". Anyone my own age engaging in such discussion is properly emasculated by the phrase and the flame war... is... ON! :smallwink:

SilverSheriff
2008-09-03, 08:01 AM

You're a kid. because there was only 1 Star Wars movie, because the rest weren't even written by Lucas, he shoved them off to another author to finish it for him.

Lord Tataraus
2008-09-03, 08:27 AM
A kid is anyone sufficiently younger than you or <14. I always refer to my little brother and sister (by 10 and 11 years respectively) as "the kids" and I probably always will. Of course part of that is probably because I will never really accept them as my brother and sister, they were adopted and while that's a great thing to do and I respect my mom and dad for doing it, I highly recommended they waited a few years because I knew I would never truly accept them and they've gotten a lot of undeserved crap from me and my older sister as a result.

Vargtass
2008-09-03, 08:41 AM
:nale: It's not the years, kid, it's the mileage. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0258.html)

... couldn't resist...

Haruki-kun
2008-09-03, 09:12 AM
The key to living a full life is to be a kid, no matter what your age is.

Those are my views on it. :smallsmile:

valadil
2008-09-03, 09:41 AM
I'd go with someone younger than the drinking or voting age.

randman22222
2008-09-03, 10:43 AM
Anyone who is not intellectually and consciously doing something to help the world is a kid. Yes, that's a lot of people you wouldn't normally consider to be children, but if you look at the amount of help and energy children under the classical definition give back to their parents, and then look at so-called adults and humanity, you see there's little difference in some people. So these people, despite their age, are children.

Glaivemaster
2008-09-03, 10:52 AM
Anyone younger than me. Anyone younger than that is a "little kid" and anyone older than that is a "big kid", so long as they still fit the definition of kid

mangosta71
2008-09-03, 11:11 AM
Sadly, I wasn't a "kid" very long. I had people telling me that I was more mature than a lot of adults when I was 13.

randman22222
2008-09-03, 11:12 AM
Sadly, I wasn't a "kid" very long. I had people telling me that I was more mature than a lot of adults when I was 13.

Not a bad thing, so long as you're mature by intellectual standards, not societal standards. Well, being mature by societal standards isn't exactly bad, but being mature by intellectual standards, and not by societal standards is way fun. :smallbiggrin:

UnChosenOne
2008-09-03, 11:15 AM
Anybody younger than you is kid.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-03, 11:28 AM
Anybody younger than you is kid.

Quoted for semi-truth.

I found a quote once that adequately describes both me and my Dad. "I may get older, but I'll never grow up." We still get excited by shiny new interesting things, though the subject matter has changed slightly, (Power tools!), and we both think having fun is one of the more important aspects of life.

I did enjoy being intellectually mature before my time though. It was fun to blow people's minds with large words that I had no business know. Like recalcitrant. That one was fun.

Maelstrom
2008-09-03, 11:51 AM
Agreed with most of the above, but have to add:

Anyone with the definitive answer, all the time (whether the answer is correct or not)...is a kid

mangosta71
2008-09-03, 11:55 AM
Not a bad thing, so long as you're mature by intellectual standards, not societal standards. Well, being mature by societal standards isn't exactly bad, but being mature by intellectual standards, and not by societal standards is way fun. :smallbiggrin:

Well, I know which standard I'd rather be judged by. However, I'm fairly certain that both applied (and still do).

Zar Peter
2008-09-03, 12:17 PM
Agreed with most of the above, but have to add:

Anyone with the definitive answer, all the time (whether the answer is correct or not)...is a kid

QFT! The older you get the less you know.

randman22222
2008-09-03, 12:20 PM
QFT! The older you get the less you know.

"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." - Socrates (I think. :smallconfused:)

Zarrexaij
2008-09-03, 10:43 PM
I see anyone who is literally or mentally younger than me as a kid.

It's funny how I'm only three years older than my fifteen year old brother and I think he's a kid. There are some "adults" I think are kids, too, because they don't act very, uhh, adult-like.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-09-03, 10:54 PM
I couldn't give a specific, all-encompassing definition of who is a kid. It all depends on the context. Age, maturity, experience, and naivete are all factors, although not all of them are necessarily always a factor.

some_other_dave
2008-09-04, 05:15 PM
All 'a y'all are kids, to me.

--Old Fart (and I am probably older than most of you!)

Collin152
2008-09-04, 05:25 PM
Well... I call just about anybody 'child' or 'boy', regardless of actual age.
Because it's pretty much taken for granted that I look much younger than I should, and often give the impression of being older than I am.

So I throw age out the window and use the words condescendingly when appropriate.

Moff Chumley
2008-09-04, 06:21 PM
All of my friends are like Collin. On the third day of high school for both of us, my best friend was given a hard time for hanging out with a freshman. :smallmad:

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-04, 07:08 PM

I have had this since I was 10...:smallsigh::smallfrown: Damn booksmarts...

Vella_Malachite
2008-09-06, 04:39 AM
For me, a kid is anyone mentally younger than me, or under 10 or 11. Given I'm only halfway through my teens, by necessity, the definition of 'kid' is a lot younger than for other people.

Another addition to the 'not kid for long' group; at age 5, I liked to tell people I wanted to be a palaeontologist when I grew up, and at three I told my grandmother that the man next door was nocturnal. I'm just naturally mature :smallsigh:. I blame being an only child; no other children to keep me childlike; I grew up to be able to catch up with my parents. I still find I am generally more 'mature' (personally defined as 'more in tune with others around them and able to understand stories that move faster than the average chick flick (you'd be surprised at the number of people I know who can't)) than many in my age bracket.

For a different aspect, how do people in the Playground define 'mature'?

randman22222
2008-09-06, 04:42 AM
Vella? I don't think it has anything to do with being an only child. Some of the most immature people I know (by my definition; on page 1) are only children. And some of the most mature people I know have siblings.

Actually, I don't think there's any relationship at all between sibling number and maturity. :smallconfused:

Zar Peter
2008-09-06, 04:12 PM
For me, a kid is anyone mentally younger than me, or under 10 or 11. Given I'm only halfway through my teens, by necessity, the definition of 'kid' is a lot younger than for other people.

Another addition to the 'not kid for long' group; at age 5, I liked to tell people I wanted to be a palaeontologist when I grew up, and at three I told my grandmother that the man next door was nocturnal. I'm just naturally mature :smallsigh:. I blame being an only child; no other children to keep me childlike; I grew up to be able to catch up with my parents. I still find I am generally more 'mature' (personally defined as 'more in tune with others around them and able to understand stories that move faster than the average chick flick (you'd be surprised at the number of people I know who can't)) than many in my age bracket.

For a different aspect, how do people in the Playground define 'mature'?

The definition of mature is as wide as the definition of kid, I think.
I defined myself as mature as my third kid was born, but I'm not sure if I'm really....

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-06, 04:18 PM
Anyone who is not intellectually and consciously doing something to help the world is a kid.
So everybody who is evil is a kid?
So Magtok is a kid?
So Face of Evil is a kid?
So Draken is a kid?

I rather think I proved your explenation of what a kid is to be wrong.

If you're right, then I'd rather not have kids go around running killing and torturing people like they do...

ColonelFuster
2008-09-06, 04:29 PM
kid1 /kɪd/
noun, verb, kid·ded, kid·ding, adjective
–noun 1. Informal. a child or young person.
2. (used as a familiar form of address.)
3. a young goat.
4. leather made from the skin of a kid or goat, used in making shoes and gloves.
5. a glove made from this leather.
–verb (used without object), verb (used with object) 6. (of a goat) to give birth to (young).
7. Informal. To jest or joke with.
–adjective 8. made of kidskin.
9. Informal. younger: his kid sister.

[Origin: 1150–1200; ME kide < ON kith]

Alternatively, anyone that I could have taught at camp, that is, 16 and younger. 16-22 is dude or girl.

randman22222
2008-09-07, 04:02 AM
So Magtok is a kid?
So Face of Evil is a kid?
So Draken is a kid?

I rather think I proved your explenation of what a kid is to be wrong.

If you're right, then I'd rather not have kids go around running killing and torturing people like they do...

I was trying to be serious here... :smallsigh:
Unless you honestly think Magtok is an evil cyborg in real life.

If that's the case, please leave this conversation now, for everyone's sake.

DigoDragon
2008-09-08, 07:11 AM

This might actually make sense since my bro explained to me that my daughter is trying to become princess-dictator of the world and he wants on the bandwagon so he can get in on the spoils. :smallamused: