PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question x 2

Andjay
2008-09-03, 10:51 AM
Question 1: I'm looking at the play-by-post forums down below, and I can't help but wonder: am I still able to play without having any knowledge, or even possesion, of the core rule books? Ie, can noobs play too?

Question 2: This is a corollary to Q1: Are the core books online that I can reference without having to pay for the books? Those things aren't cheap, there's tons of them for each edition, and they're not around for long, I hear, before another update comes out which forces you to buy a whole new set of them.

My thanks in advance for any help that I can get with regards to these questions.

Andjay

Duke of URL
2008-09-03, 10:53 AM
The answer to both is http://d20srd.org for D&D 3.5 games.

Andjay
2008-09-03, 12:22 PM
does that mean, use this online resource to become educated, ie, noobs can't play until such time as they're no longer a noob, so to speak? (just to be clear)

Lochar
2008-09-03, 12:25 PM
No, it more of means you need at least the basic grasp of the rules that the srd will give you before you can join a game.

You wouldn't start playing Monopoly without at least reading the instruction book to figure out what to start with, would you?

Duke of URL
2008-09-03, 12:27 PM
No... it means that all the material you need as a casual player is there. As to playing without knowledge of the rules, it's up to the DM of any particular game. I for one, have run a PbP session designed strictly for beginners, and there's often one such game recruiting in the forums.

Other games may be overwhelming without at least a basic knowledge of the rules.

Lycan 01
2008-09-03, 01:45 PM
The 3.5 SRD has most of what you need to play. The only thing you'll lack after perusing it is experience, which is quickly gained by playing pbp games here on the site. :smallsmile: