PDA

View Full Version : 4e Waking Up? Gauging Level?

Ent
2008-09-03, 11:04 AM
1. In the Short/Extended Rest PHB entry it suggests a DC for waking up due to combat, with a -5 penalty.

I was wondering if anyone can find or suggest the DC? Is it a passive check?

An ally using a standard action to shake you awake seems like an automatic success, but is using a free action to shout to wake you up automatic too? Maybe the shout gets you a check at a different DC, or perhaps an active check?

2. Is there any suggestion for knowing/gauging level? PC, NPC, monster or otherwise?

Thank you, anyone who knows more about 4th than me.

Starbuck_II
2008-09-03, 11:09 AM
1. In the Short/Extended Rest PHB entry it suggests a DC for waking up due to combat, with a -5 penalty.

I was wondering if anyone can find or suggest the DC? Is it a passive check?

It says a Perception Check (Hearing combat I think) at -5 penalty. I think it is passive because page 263 mentions passive Perception with -5 penalty on bottem of page 263.

I think shaking is automatic; shouting is an easier perception check (ghearing a shout is easier than movement/swords slashing).

fractic
2008-09-03, 11:54 AM
2. Is there any suggestion for knowing/gauging level? PC, NPC, monster or otherwise?

Thank you, anyone who knows more about 4th than me.

Level is a purely out of character concept. The best you can do is make knowledge checks.

Ent
2008-09-03, 11:59 AM
Level is a purely out of character concept. The best you can do is make knowledge checks.

I've seen recognizing level in 3.5 as an in-character concept though.

Maybe it was just house rules, but it was something like a level check vs. their level as the DC to know if they were better then you, and it might have just applied to your class/classes. Basically recognizing if you were out of your league.

fractic
2008-09-03, 12:01 PM

Maybe it was just house rules, but it was something like a level check vs. their level as the DC to know if they were better then you, and it might have just applied to your class/classes. Basically recognizing if you were out of your league.

It wasn't an in character concept in 3.5 either. You're probably refering to the 3.5 knowledge skills that let you know some stuff about monsters in character. Those still exist in 4e. But you'll never see two characters chat in character about their level.

Sinfire Titan
2008-09-03, 12:28 PM

That would be in Complete Warrior under Sense Motive.

Ent
2008-09-03, 12:32 PM
That would be in Complete Warrior under Sense Motive.

Thank you.

LibraryOgre
2008-09-03, 01:20 PM
I might allow an Insight check to gauge Tier, if your History check doesn't turn anything up.

AstralFire
2008-09-03, 01:22 PM
Thank you.

Complete Adventurer, actually. Pg 103. And even then, it was a bit vague compared to actually knowing level.

Ent
2008-09-03, 01:26 PM
I might allow an Insight check to gauge Tier, if your History check doesn't turn anything up.

That's actually really good, especially the History check.

Yakk
2008-09-03, 01:47 PM
Standard action to wake someone automagically.

Hearing a yell is simple, as the perception penalty for sleeping is set, and the DC for hearing a yell is set...

LibraryOgre
2008-09-03, 02:01 PM
That's actually really good, especially the History check.
Well, I figure anyone of Paragon or Epic tier is going to figure into History... high level Heroics might as well, but that would also fall under Streetwise. The tier check for insight shouldn't be too hard; say 20 for Heroic, and 15 for Paragon or Epic (because it's hard to miss the guy who's teleporting as much as he's walking, or covered with magical glowiness, while the Heroic tier people can sometimes read as "non-heroic"). Maybe add 5-10 to the DC to get which half of the tier he's in.