PDA

View Full Version : Beastmaster (3.5, CompAdv)

JellyPooga
2008-09-03, 12:17 PM
Considering a character using the Beastmaster PrC, but unsure about what other class(es) to take.

The problem is not so much what to take pre-PrC, but what to go into after because as far as I know, apart from at Epic levels, when the Beastmaster PrC could be progressed, there's no way to increase the power of his Extra Animal Companions (so you're stuck with Extra Animal Companions of EDL (Effective Druid Level) 1, 4 and 7, IIRC, for 5 levels). Correct me if I wrong, but that just sucks at such high levels of play.

Should I be particularly worried about this (I mean, my main Animal Companion is 3 levels higher than the norm after all, previous Class levels pending)?

Also, is there any precedent for taking Animal Companions not on the list but of significantly lower power (for example; a weasel or bat)? I'm trying to think of a use for a EDL: 1 critter and the only thing I can conceive is for stealth roles, where something small will be better (literally thinking of Beastmaster, the film, where he has a Panther (main), an Eagle (secondary) and 2 Polecats (tertiary) ).

Whilst thinking of the film, what about the possibility of taking 2 sub-par animals as 1 Animal Companion 'choice' (e.g. instead of taking 1 Wolf, you get 2 Bats)? Perhaps a Feat to allow it? I think bonus HD would have to be divided between the 2 animals rather than added to both...thoughts?

Anyhoo's, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
JP

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-03, 12:38 PM
The problem with Beastmaster is the same one you run into with a traditional Necromancer, namely, lots of dice that only hit on a 20. You can enter as a Druid or a Ranger, though I prefer Druid. Use mass buffs, take the Natural Bond feat, and they might be useful. I prefer using it as a 1 or 3 level dip rather than full progression.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-09-03, 01:55 PM
its also great in super mount builds taking 5-7 (can't remember which) levels in paladin then taking one or two... then take devoted hunter.. mmm great mount potential...

i'm thinking there is a feet out there that increases your animal companion as ability as if you where a higher level... not sure where

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-03, 02:08 PM
Natural Bond. If you do want a swarm following you, either Leadership or Awaken, Mass would serve the same purpose, especially with only 3 levels of Beastmaster and the Natural Bond feat(you have 3 'big' animals, one like a Druid of 6 levels above your own, one as a Druid of your level, and one as a cohort, plus a bunch of smaller animals that follow you around but are really only for flavor, not useful).

Person_Man
2008-09-03, 02:46 PM
I'd skip it. Unless they're improved by various feats, Special Mounts and Animal Companions tend to die very quickly at mid-high levels. You could invest in them (Exalted Companion, Beast Companion, Spellbound Companion) but they wouldn't apply to all of your extra companions. So you're just one Fireball away from having all but one of your furry friends killed.

Stick with Druid or Ranger. If you want a menagerie, use Summon spells. Or just buy animals or make friends using Wild Empathy, and use Handle Animal to train them. You don't need to take a special PrC to have pets. For example, my Fighters and Rangers almost always have a pack of trained dogs.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-09-03, 02:56 PM
natural bond exalent... what book is that out of?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-03, 02:57 PM
C. Adventurer.