PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu: The Deepest Darkness

Lycan 01
2008-09-03, 02:21 PM
(OOC THREAD (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4849422#post4849422))

Call of Cthulhu: The Deepest Darkness

Monday, June 17, 1923

Frank Zapetto is a prominent businessman in Boston, Massachusetts. His son, Luke, is a Junior at the Miskatonic University in Arkham, a city several miles to the North of Boston. He is currently studying for a business degree. However, Frank has not heard from his son in over a week, and phone calls to the college indicate that he has been missing from class for several days. It appears that the young boy has disappeared. You have been invited to Frank Zapetto’s home - perhaps you are his friend, or a business associate. It matters not… What does matter is that he wants his son back, and he’s willing to pay you to do the job of finding him.

---------------------

Shadows dance upon the face of Frank Zapetto as he stares into the roaring flame beneath the mantle he leans upon. His face wears an expression of concern, and he takes a drag from a cigarette in order to steel his nerves. His short white hair, which is often well groomed, is unkempt, and several days stubble decorates his chin. His clothes are not as crisp as they would normally be, and his usually strong body seems weak and frail beneath the burden he bears. “A father knows…” he sighs, slowly turning to face his guests. “A father knows when something is wrong, and his son is in trouble…” The man looks from face to face, and shows a weak smile. “I thank you all for coming. You are true friends, to have offered to help me in such a way. I don’t have much to tell you. Luke is 20 years old, likes to play baseball with his friends, and is studying for a business degree. He wants to be just like me, I guess…” A light flickers through Frank’s eyes, and then fades.

“He’s got green eyes, like mine, and short blonde hair. He’s a bit lanky, but has enough muscle to keep him from looking scrawny. The last he told me, he was doing research for a business paper. He said he was going to go ask about a local business… You might want to ask some of his teachers more about that. It may be your best lead. If you can bring me back my son, alive and in one piece, I’ll pay each of you 1,000 dollars. I’m willing to spare no expense in order to make sure he’s safe… If you need transport to Arkham, you can use a few of my cars. Try not to dally too long… There’s no telling what sort of trouble he’s in…”

THE TIME IS 2:30 PM, ON MONDAY, JUNE 17, 1923. THE INVESTIGATORS ARE CURRENTLY AT THE HOME OF MR. ZAPETTO.

Daryk
2008-09-03, 06:27 PM
Ian McKinnon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=78675)

"No need for payment on my account, Frank. It's the least I can do for a friend. I've got room in my car if any of the others need a ride," Ian said. Noting the expression on Frank's face and considering for a moment, he added, "Though I'm sure the Red Cross could use a donation like that if we find him."

Kantur
2008-09-03, 06:45 PM
Robert Talbot

"There's no need to worry about things like money Frank. You know I'd help you out of my own kindness, and I'm truely sorry to hear about this. As soon as everyone else is ready to set off, we will. I can't see any good reason for splitting up after all, though if I get the time before we head off, I'll pray to the Lord for guidance and to help you until your son's returned to you safely."

McSherrie
2008-09-03, 07:46 PM
Alex reaches out and takes Frank's free hand. "You know we'll do anything we can for you and Alex. Is the college expecting us? Otherwise they might take poorly to strangers sniffing around. We know how these blue blood schools can be." She laughs somewhat fakely, obviously trying to cheer and comfort the man.

Rising, she turns to her new companions. "If we head out now, we should be able to ask some questions before the scholars go home for dinner. Shall we?"

Kesnit
2008-09-03, 07:56 PM
Timothy

Luke and I have been friends for years, Timothy said. I'm worried about him as well. Don't worry, Mr. Zapetto, we'll find him.

Lycan 01
2008-09-03, 08:51 PM
Frank smiles meekly at his friends, their kindness bringing some comfort to his endless sorrow. "Thank you, my friends... I will go ahead and phone the school. I'll arrange for one of Luke's teachers to meet with you at the library... I'm sure he'll be able to give you more information on what might have happened to Luke."

If no one has any objections, I can go ahead and move this to Arkham...

Vrek
2008-09-03, 09:03 PM
Edward Carnby

Edward stood, staring at a picture on a desk nearby. While he let the others, most of whom he didn't even know the names of, deal with the more pleasantry bit of the conversation. He was looking at a photo of Luke. He met him a few times when their fathers were meeting together on business matters. The photo was a few years old, but it was a lot different then from when Luke was 9 years old. He looked from bit to bit, scanning the picture and fully placing his features into his memory.

He looked up at the older man, The guy's right, Sir. He gave Frank the title more out of his few personal memories of the man. The sooner we get moving, the sooner well find Luke.

Go for it.

Zanzabarb
2008-09-04, 12:02 AM
Abigail Higgons (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=79035)

Abigail sits loosely in an upholstered easy chair; one of her long legs thrown casually over the arm rest. She's scanning the faces of the others Frank brought here while she idly cleans engine grease from under her nails with her pocket-knife.
Well now, ain't that touching? Most of these folks seem pretty attached to this moneyed, hooch-running (assumed), old fella. Of course, tragedy tends to bring out sympathies. What am I thinking? Tragedy? The stress of that school probably broke him and he cut town with some ritzy broad, but if he's willing to pay us all 1,000 clams each, I'm in.

Putting away the knife and standing, Abbey claps her hands together, "Well, I'm not getting any younger. Let's go round him up!"

Wiz
2008-09-04, 12:38 AM
Robert Kane

Robert looks up from examining several volumes in one of Mr. Zappeto's bookshelves. "Hmmmm.... oh... young Luke is missing... terrible news." He brightens abruptly, "Meeting at the Miskatonic University Library! Oh yes, we should leave at once!"

Lycan 01
2008-09-04, 12:59 AM
Shortly thereafter, the investigators gather together their things, bid Frank farewell, and begin the journey to Arkham. Most of them take their own cars, with a few offering rides to those without transportation. A few hours later, they make their way to the Miskatonic University, and begin their search into young Luke's dissappearance.

THE TIME IS 5 PM, ON MONDAY, JUNE 17, 1923. THE INVESTIGATORS ARE CURRENTLY IN THE LOBBY OF THE MISKATONIC LIBRARY.

The investigators surveyed the walls of books that stretched out before them, unsure of where to look for their contact. After a few seconds, though, a well-dressed middle-aged man with curly black hair swaggered out from behind a bookshelf, his hands busy cleaning a pair of spectacles. "Ah..." the man smiled, replacing the glasses on his face. "You must be Mr. Zapetto's friends. I understand you're trying to find Luke. He's one of my best students, if a bit over-zealous. I must say, I am a bit worried about him. He's never skipped this many days before without a good reason..... What can I do to help?"

Wiz
2008-09-04, 01:16 AM
Robert Kane

The scholarly gentleman frowns, his hands twitching and eager to examine the books he sees. With a great deal of effort he turns to the man, "I understand Luke was writing a paper that dealt with a local business. We'd like to know what business it was and where it is located in town."

Zanzabarb
2008-09-04, 05:13 AM

In her usual forward way, Abbey steps forward and starts to shake the man's hand firmly, although he didn't offer it. "Hiya Doctor....? I didn't catch your name. No matter. You said Luke is your student. What is it, exactly, that you teach?" She asked smiling sweetly and adds as an after though,"If you don't mind my asking that is."

I just love a man with glasses and curly hair.. mm. She throws him a wink for good measure.

Lycan 01
2008-09-04, 09:11 AM
The man accepts the aviator's handshake with a smirk, and replies: "My name is Doctor Stephen Wilmet. I am the business teacher at this fine establishment. I'm sorry... I didn't catch your name, either. What did you say it was, my dear?" the professor adds with a wink of his own.

While awaiting her answer, he turns his attention back towards the rest of the group. "Luke was doing a research paper on how towns and cities can spring up in response to a thriving business, only to die away when it begins turns bad. A good example would be a "ghost town" out west. When a mining spot would be discovered, gold prospectors would flock to it and set up their little tents. Soon businesses dealing in prospecting goods would spring up, followed by other establishments such as bars, doctor's offices, brothels, and other fine little places for a miner to waste his well earned gold. But then, once the gold ran out, the people would begin to leave. And soon, the town would become a former shell of itself, until finally not a soul remained within its boundaries..."

"Now, Luke didn't feel like taking a train across the country just to do a research paper. So instead, he snooped around for the next best thing. And apparently, he found it. I forget the name of it, but there's a small fishing village on the coast that perfectly fits what he needs. It sprang up a century ago when the fishing was good, but then died out when business started to go bad. It was on the brink of collapse until recently, when a gold refinery in town started putting out more wealth than all the years of fishing combined. I'm afraid I don't recall the name of the town, though... Perhaps you've heard of it? Successful Know Roll will reveal the name of the town, and possibly how to get there. None-the-less, I fear that Luke may have gone off to ask around about the businesses there, and probably spoke to the wrong people about the wrong things. He's a great student... but he doesn't know when to shut up. I hear the locals don't take too kindly to strangers, either..."

McSherrie
2008-09-04, 09:23 AM
1D100 = [80] = 80
Yeah, I know nothing. :smallwink:
(http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=6195)

"I know what you mean. Luke always was... enthusiastic. Is there anything else you think we may need to know?" Alex nodded encouragingly, taking notes as the professor spoke.

Kesnit
2008-09-04, 11:30 AM
Timothy Roths

Timothy frowns in thought for a moment. I know the town you mean. My family drove through there a few years ago on our way to our Summer House.

Lycan 01
2008-09-04, 01:24 PM
The inner workings of Timothy's mind begin to click together, and he suddenly recalls the name of the town. It is known as Innsmouth, and he also vaugely recalls the path to get there.

But before he can say anything, two Arkham police officer's barge into the room. Before they can even say anything, Spencer Coyle breaks from the group and dashes towards a nearby open window, which he quickly crawls through. "After him!" one of the officers yells, and the two cops quickly run back out the door to pursue him. Clearly, Mr. Coyle has made previous trips to Arkham...

Spencer Coyle is out of the game (for now) due to personal issues in his player's life. With luck, he may return at some point. But for now, he is no longer a character in this story.

Zanzabarb
2008-09-05, 01:20 AM

"My name is Abigail Higgons, Professor, but most just call me Abbey or Alba--"
The sudden commotion cuts her short.
My my, nothing like a couple of bulls busting in on a joint to get a girl's heart pounding. Just be glad they weren't here for me. What kind of shady crew did Frank bring together. Leastwise, that preacher looks trustworthy.

"I know the place. Innsmouth. I've never been, but I've flown past it a number of times."

Kantur
2008-09-05, 06:56 AM
Robert Talbot

"That was most unexpected...Clearly our former companion has issues he needs to deal with, though I have some hope for him as he came back here in the first place, surely knowing that people would wish to find him. Regardless of that, it seems we between us have plenty of people who know the place to some extent at least."

Lycan 01
2008-09-05, 11:18 AM
Lemme know if/when you guys are ready for the trip to Innsmouth, as well as how you plan to get there. The trip will take about an hour...

Also, I might be without internet from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. I'll try to get on at a friend's house, but don't be suprised if you don't hear from me for a day or two. Sorry... :smalltongue:

Kesnit
2008-09-05, 11:56 AM
Timothy

Thank you for that information, Professor. He turns to his companions. I'd say our best bet is to go to Innsmouth and see what we find out.

Zanzabarb
2008-09-06, 12:44 PM

Abbey takes her eyes off the professor for a moment and turns to Timothy.
"Woa-o-oh, slow 'em down there lil' cowpoke," She says with a self mocking grin. "The way I see things Timmy," she throws a friendly arm around Tim's shoulders, "we just drove all the way up here from Beantown. We might as well stick around and ask a few more questions."

Turning back to the professor she asks, "What about a roommate? Does Luke have a roommate we could talk to?"

Kesnit
2008-09-06, 01:04 PM
Timothy

Timothy shifts uncomfortably under Abigail's arm and politely tries to extract himself. Once he does so, he moves away, putting someone between him and the forceful woman.

No one ever said how we are standing/sitting, so I don't know who is actually between Timothy and Abigail.

Daryk
2008-09-06, 01:18 PM

Ian interposed himself between a clearly retreating Tim and Abbey. His prosthetic foot clunked oddly on the floor as he moved, but it didn't trip him. "Give the kid a break, Abbey. He's just eager to get moving," he said easily.

McSherrie
2008-09-06, 01:36 PM
"Understandably. His friend is missing. Given similar circumstances, I'm sure we'd all feel the same. Professor, is there anything else that you can tell us about young Luke's research? Was he focussing on the initial fish boom or the gold rush? That could help us narrow down the field of possible businesses he visited and people he talked to." Alex has been scribbling notes the entire time and appears to be getting caught up in the mystery of it all.

Wiz
2008-09-07, 11:29 AM
Robert Kane

Kane tears his eyes away from the books, "Yes... we should go to Innsmouth and see to young Luke. Then we can return, hopefully with him."

ooc spoiler:
I thought I had posted the other day... must have typed it up and then not submitted it. Or perhaps another of my games has a very wierd and out of place post. :)

Vrek
2008-09-07, 12:20 PM
Yeah, there's too much unexplored here. Professor! He directed at the man, Luke had board on campus, didn't he? Can we take a look at his room? And was there any contact to the administrators directly prior to him leaving, or anytime afterwards?

Lycan 01
2008-09-07, 02:12 PM
5:30 PM, Monday

The Professor clears his throat, hoping to get everyone's attention. "Luke does have a roommate, but he's currently in England for a Literature project of some sort, and will not be back for several weeks. His room is on campus, but we've already checked it. He was a bit on the paranoid side, so its deadbolted from the inside, as well as padlocked... So unless you wish to break into his room, which might not go over too well with campus security, I don't think you'll be getting in there.

If I know Luke, he probably wanted the whole story. How the town began, when the fishing business hit its peak, how hard and fast it crashed, how the gold business got started up and where it gets its supplies from, how the gold boom has effected the town, and how other businesses in the town have been effected. He'll have probably asked everyone he met questions, which might have been what got him in trouble, if that is the case. He's a bit of a dim bulb when it comes to people skills... I once saw him rant for 10 minutes and then get aggitated at somebody for not listening, only to get punched in the jaw for shaking the man's shoulder. Turns out he was deaf, and didn't know why he was grabbing him... So it is easy to assume he might have talked his way into a hole, metaphorically or literally..."

Daryk
2008-09-07, 05:06 PM

Ian shrugged and said, "Well it seems we're just about tapped out here, lady and gentlemen. Shall we get on the road?"

Zanzabarb
2008-09-07, 11:46 PM

"It does seem that way, don't it?" Abbey nods toward Ian, "To Innsmouth."

On the way to the car(s){if that's where we're headed}, Abbey half jokingly brings up breaking into Luke's room. "Might be fun, and heck, if a door is locked there must be something worth seeing behind it!" {OOC: a bad philosophy for CoC}

Wiz
2008-09-08, 02:09 AM
Robert Kane

Kane nods, "Indeed... let us be on our way. One would hope with a name like that, they have at least one good inn. We may be there for a while."

Daryk
2008-09-08, 05:23 AM

In response to Abbey's half-joking comment on the way to the car, Ian said, "Well, if we really want to get in there, we can call Frank and have the school break down the door. I think that can wait until after we've had a look around Innsmouth, though."

Kesnit
2008-09-08, 06:09 AM
Timothy

Timothy wordlessly follows the others to their cars.

Kantur
2008-09-08, 08:07 AM
Robert Talbot

"Though I wouldn't normally condone such a thing, it may help us if we can convince the security here to allow us. Besides, we're not planning to take anything unless it's highly important and will be returned in due course. If we do want to investigate his room, I'd suggest we inquire now before we head off as anything there that can help may well be useless later. If the security are unwilling, I certainly shall be waiting at the car and hoping you follow..."

Lycan 01
2008-09-08, 11:28 AM
The band of investigators proceed to their cars, although a few of them make a detour to discuss the room situation with campus security. They are promptly shot down.

Once everything is in order, the investigators pile into their cars and begin the trip to Innsmouth.

----

7:00 PM, Monday

Clear skies allow the investigators quick and easy travel over the oft-derelict roads leading to Innsmouth. After an hour or so of driving, they pass a railyard, and a sign that states "Innsmouth" in faded hues. The sign seems to be old and uncared for, as though nobody cares what visitors think of the town. A few minutes later, they see the town of Innsmouth, which is apparently surrounded by a 10-foot wall. Crossing a small bridge, the investigator's drive through a large cast-iron gate, which is being watched by two shady-looking characters. The two men cast curious glances at each other, and then go back to watching the gate.

Entering the town, the investigator's cars begin to drive over cobblestone streets, and they find themselves passing century-old homes in varying states of disrepair and abandonment. They noticed several branching streets and alleys, as well as more than a few warehouses and fishing caneries. Other buildings of notice are a run-down bar and a boarded-up church. Off in the distance, a pair of smoke-stacks mark the location of the gold refinery. Several signs mark directions towards the town's docks and beaches. Eventually, they enter the town plaza.

The center of the town is a large 100x150 cobblestoned area, with a small 20x30 foot plot of fenced-in grass in the center. And old memorial to Revolutionary War soldiers towers over the small park; the head has been removed, by accident or otherwise. Gas lamps line the edges of the plaza, and a few benches dot the area.

There are a few larger buildings along the edges of the plaza, while the rest along the edge are smaller and unimpressive. At the North end of the plaza is the local Innsmouth motel; there is an old, battered bus parked directly in front of it. Directly opposite the hotel, at the South end of the plaza, is a large, ornate looking building. It seems to be a temple of some kind... The West side of the plaza holds the local general store, and a small pharmacy. The Eastern side holds a grocery store, and a small dinner.

The streets are nearly deserted, but a few people can be seen standing on street corners, or peering out of windows. They all stare ominously at the Investigators as they drive through the town, as though trying to wish them from existance. Most of them appear to share the same odd features - large lips, bulging eyes, small ears... And some of them also seem to share an odd discoloration of the skin. Apparently, the tales of inbreeding and disease in Innsmouth do have some factual basis. It is more than a little unsettling to the Investigators, though.

Something... just isn't right...

Spot Hidden, Listen, Idea, and Know rolls can all reveal useful information... Other than that, I'm not helping you any further. The game is now beginning. Good luck, players. You will need it...

Zanzabarb
2008-09-08, 02:25 PM

Abbey hesitates before she opens the car door and looks apprehensively at the setting sun. She emits a low whistle. "Boy Howdy. This little town is more than a bit unsettling... and I'm more than a bit hungry. Who's up for a quick bite to eat before we turn in? Early to bed, early to rise as they say. Plus we wouldn't want to go bothering folks 'round dinner time."

I don't like the looks of that motel, but I like the thought of wandering around this place in the dark even less...

Abbey passes an Idea check: 19/75

Wiz
2008-09-08, 04:39 PM
Robert Kane

On the drive down, Robert Kane has been pondering innsmouth. Was there something from his researches... wasn't there something about it... one of his occult books perhaps?

Occult: [roll0] (vs. 75)
"Well, the motel doesn't seem to be first class accomodations, but it does seem to be the best available."

Kesnit
2008-09-08, 05:59 PM
Timothy

Timothy gets out of the car and looks around. The town seems a strange place for his friend to willingly hang out. At Abigail's words, he glances at the inn, then the diner.

Yes, I am a bit hungry, he replies. Suddenly, a sound catches his ear.

Wiz
2008-09-08, 06:59 PM
Robert Kane

Kane abruptly swivels his head toward the temple across the square. He whispers, "Dagon..."

Lycan 01
2008-09-08, 07:25 PM
There are 5 other people in the plaza. One is an old woman, who's just shuffling her way past the grocery store. Two are young men, staring dissapprovingly at the Investigators. And the other two people are older and shadier looking men. They had been carrying on a conversation amongst themelves, but they have been watching the Investigators for the past few minutes. Upon seeing Robert Kane turn towards the temple and mumble something, they begin to whisper gruffly to each other. They then part ways, with one heading towards the temple, while the other heads off towards the pharmacy.

Kesnit
2008-09-08, 07:45 PM
Timothy

Did anyone else hear a clanging sound? Then after hearing Robert's whisper, he snaps his fingers. Yes, that's it. Last time I was here, the I heard a few of the locals talking about some social group they were in. They called it 'The Esoteric Order of Dagon,' or something like that. He waves his hand towards the temple. Though that wasn't here last time I was here. Or if it was, they've expanded it.

Zanzabarb
2008-09-09, 09:48 AM

Breaking from her reverie, Abbey hurriedly gets out of the car.
"Gents. Gents. As much as I'd love to take in the sights of this increasingly eerie town, I'm going to go inquire after some lodging. Do any of you strapping men want to accompany me? I'd like to talk to the driver of that bus and I'd rather not do it alone. How about you Alex? "

After a thought, she continues in a hoarse whisper, "These folk ain't right. I suggest we keep our questioning discrete for now. I've got a bad feeling about this place."

I hope these rooms have plenty of locks.... on the inside...

McSherrie
2008-09-09, 11:44 AM
"I would be happy to accompany you, madam. Shall we?" Alex gallantly offers her arm to the other woman, fighting the urge to giggle. In her other hand, she carries her briefcase. Also in a whisper, she continues, "I agree. It is clear that something is going on here. And that they are not quite interested in having visitors."

Spot Hidden 30 1D100 = [73] = 73
(http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=6244)

Listen 40 1D100 = [35] = 35
(http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=6242)

Idea 40 1D100 = [76] = 76
(http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=6243)

Know 65 1D100 = [61] = 61
(http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=6245)

Kesnit
2008-09-09, 12:15 PM
TImothy

Timothy looks at the remaining men and shrugs. I guess we're going to the hotel. He then walks around the standing men so as to keep them between himself and the forceful Abigail.

Kantur
2008-09-09, 03:52 PM
Robert Talbot

"The hotel seems best...If nothing else, there's not much I think can be done tonight..."

He keeps a brisk pace with the rest of the group.

Lycan 01
2008-09-09, 04:07 PM
OOC: You barely met the deadline, Kantur. :smallamused:

BIC:

7:10 PM, Monday.

Alex Smith, Robert Talbot, Abigail Higgons, and Timothy make their way towards the hotel. Edward Carnby, Robert Kane, and Ian McKinnon stay in the plaza, not yet decided on what they wish to do.

Hotel

The Investigators slowly enter the Innsmouth motel. Alex and Abigail lead the way, followed by Robert Talbot, behind whom Timothy is attempting to avoid Abigail. They find themselves in the lobby of the hotel.

To their right, a few doors, leading to staff offices and storage rooms. To their right, a staircase, leading to the upper level. Directly in front of them sits the front desk, and above it can be seen the upper floor and the doors to the hotel's rooms.

There are two men at the desk. Both of them seem a bit shady, and of course the have the Innsmouth Look. The man in front of the counter is wearing a blue uniform and a blue cap. Clean shaven and pale, he stares at you all out of the corner of his eyes. Judging from the uniform, and the keys hanging from his pocket, he must be the bus driver. The other man behind the counter is wearing brown slacks, a white long-sleeved button up shirt, and brown suspenders. His short brown hair is parted to the right, and his face sports a few days' growth of beard. He looks up at you all as you enter, and gives a gruff "Welcome, strangers..." in a less-than-hospitable tone.

Plaza

The shady man who entered the alley has returned, and is now talking to the two younger men. The old woman has hurried her way on home. The sun is just beginning to dissappear behind the horizon.

Daryk
2008-09-09, 05:20 PM

Ian took a quick look around the plaza, noting the various locals and their odd behavior. He took a few moments to gather his belongings, surreptitiously including his pistol and ammunition from the glove box. He tucked that inside his bag, then locked up the Pierce Arrow, and strode has best as he was able to the hotel. His prosthetic foot gave him a little trouble on the cobblestones, but he was able to avoid outright tripping.

McSherrie
2008-09-09, 06:05 PM
Alex gives a slight bow. "Gentlemen, we were passing through your... quaint town on our way up the coast when we realized how late it was. My lady companion commented that we should stop and see if you have any rooms available. And I'm sure that we could all use a bite to eat as well. Can you accomodate us?"

Wiz
2008-09-09, 06:56 PM
Robert Kane

Kane turns and heads into the motel. He nods to the others. "Indeed, a meal would be most acceptable at this point."

Lycan 01
2008-09-09, 11:01 PM
Innsmouth Motel

The manager narrows his eyes, and his face carries an air of obvious distaste. "We got four rooms open right now. $4.50 a night... The dinner has food. Dunno if you Outsiders'll like it, though. Thems that ain't from around here don't much like our ways, especially our cooking... heh heh. Anyway, if you want the rooms, I'll let the staff know, and we can spruce 'em up a bit afore ya move in. Might take awhile, though. Might I suggest ye look around the town a bit, fig're out where everythin' is. Just stay away from the big buildin' across the Square. The locals don't take too kindly to Outsiders snoopin' around there..."

"Hmm..." the man in blue growled. He then leaned across the counter, and whispered something in the manager's ear.

"Yeah, get to it..." the manager sneered. The man in blue then nodded, turn around, and headed for the front door, muttering something under his breath as he headed outside. The manager then turned his attention back towards the guests, and flashed an eerie smile. "As I was sayin'... There's a Diner on the Square. Food's cheap, but it ain't good. There's also a grocery store, but as with the Diner, the food's cheep, but it ain't good. The General Store has canned food and the like, but unless you got yourself a stove witcha, I dunn think you'll be likin' the taste of cold beans..."

Vrek
2008-09-10, 12:35 AM
Edward Carnby

Edward lagged behind, throwing back an 'I'll catch up later' to the departing group. This group had no drive at all. They arrive here and all they want to do is go to sleep. Still half standing, half sitting in the ajar door of his car, he reached in and popped open the glove box, and pulled out a small bundle of bills, and a few bullets sitting neatly in a small case. He reached into his coat and deposited both into a pocket rather close to his gun which lay in a holster hidden in his armpit. He already didn't like this place.

He ran his hands through his pockets once more, then muttered a curse under his breath. He slammed the car door shut, and locked it. Not heading towards the motel like the others, he turned and headed for the general store. He pushed the door open, and walked up to the counter, taking a careful look at the person manning the shop. "Pack of smokes, pal. Some matches, too." He paused for a moment, before continuing, "So how's business been doing? Any new faces lately? I heard this place was really booming way back when, heard good things about that memorial out there too, thought I'd stop by and have myself a look. Any advice for a tourist?

Lycan 01
2008-09-10, 01:07 AM
OOC: Helpful bit of advice? Don't just walk into places and start describing them yourself. I have to tell you what you see before you start messing with it. You're lucky I had nothing special planned for the general store. >.<

BIC:

General Store

The general store isn't exactly the best choice for variety and quality. Its kinda dirty, the shelves are sparsely stocked, and whatever is on the counter is probably expired or close to it. As Edward walks across the room, a hollow clunking noise comes from beneath his feet. There must be a basement...

The clerk is a middle-aged fellow, dressed in a white long sleeve shirt and a green apron. His brown pants and boots look a little worse for wear. His short blonde hair is dishelven, and his green eyes appear worn and tired. He doesn't look like all the others... he seems normal.

To Edward's request for cigarettes, the man shakes his head. "Sorry, fella. We don't have any of those... We don't have much of anything, really... And no, I can't think of any advice to give you..." he replies in a shakey and unsure voice.

Zanzabarb
2008-09-10, 01:42 AM

Seeing the bus driver start to leave, Abbey takes her arm from Alex and turns to the departing driver. "Excuse me, sir? Pardon my forwardness and all, but if you've got a minute to spare, I've got some questions regarding the bus line. I might be leaving sooner than the others and I was wondering 'bout your schedule and fares and such."

Persuade 13 vs 50

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-10, 06:11 AM
Charlie Weller (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=80512)

A battered old car follows the route the bus took into the plaza. Charlie steps out of the automobile, turns the engine off and looks around.

'This is a desolate place. Wonder if theres a story here after all.' he thinks. Ah well, lets see if I can't find the ragtag bunch that professor mentioned

Lycan 01
2008-09-10, 08:43 AM
Fast talk would be more of what you'd use in that situation. But you still succeeded at your Fast Talk roll with that 15, so I'm gonna be nice and count it. :smallsmile:

"I'm in a bit of a rush, missy..." the driver sneered. "But I s'ppose I'll let ye know the fares 'n such. I leave here at 10AM, and I leave Arkham at 12AM. It's 2 bucks for a one-way trip, and three fifty for a round trip... Anythin' else, lady?"

Kantur
2008-09-10, 11:01 AM
Robert Talbot

Robert nods, and puts down the money for a room before heading to the diner.

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-10, 11:05 AM
Charles quickly scans the plaza, looking for someone who might be able to give directions

Lycan 01
2008-09-10, 11:09 AM
Motel

"Hmph..." the manager smirks, pocketing the money. "Room 2A. Come back in about half an hour for yer key..."

Plaza

The two young men and the older man stare at the newest arrival. They then begin whispering hurridly amongst each other, making gestures at the man, the motel, and the large building across the plaza.

Kesnit
2008-09-10, 11:13 AM
Timothy

Timothy listens to the desk clerk's report, nodding slightly. Uh, I guess that means some of us will have to double up. He looks at Alex and Robert, then back at the door to see if the others are coming in.

Due to Timothy's social ineptitude, even with a Spot Hidden, he would never think that Alex is a woman.

McSherrie
2008-09-10, 11:22 AM
"No doubt, Timothy. We shall have to work that out." Alex turns back to the hotel manager/owner. "We'd like to take the other three rooms as well, please. And what would you suggest we try at the diner, since tastes here are so particular?"

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-10, 11:33 AM
Charles calls over to the three men in conversation.

Hi, excuse me! Did you see a group of people arrive here recently?

Lycan 01
2008-09-10, 01:22 PM
Motel

"The fish..." the manager growled. "Its about all they got... They might have a sammich of some sort, but don't be suprised if the breads a bit stale..."

Plaza

"They're in the hotel..." one of the younger men growled.

"Are you with 'em?" the older man frowned. "If not, you'd be smart to keep your distance from 'em... They're bound to stir up trouble with the way they's been actin'..."

Zanzabarb
2008-09-10, 02:56 PM

Still talking to the bus driver, Abbey continues, "2 dollars. That's a bit pricey for me. I'm between jobs at the moment. But then again, I bet you don't get too many passengers. Am I right?"

Well now, anybody that rode out here on the bus would have to spend the night somewhere... including our boy, Luke.

Abbey leans close to Alex to do some whispering of her own, 'if you get a chance check the guestbook.'

Lycan 01
2008-09-10, 03:11 PM
Listen check: [roll0] / 40

The bus driver scowls. "My prices are pretty good for somebody who has to drive all the way out to that stinkin' city and back again every day, especially since I don't get many customers... Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go check on the bus. It was makin' some funny noises on the way up here... See ye later, Charlie..." the driver waved farewell to his friend behind the counter.

"G'night, Joe..." the manager nodded. He then turned his attention back towards Abigail and Alex, between whom some whispers were being traded. He arched an eyebrow upon hearing something akin to "In your pants, can I look?"

"Hey, now!" the manager growled, "Save that stuff for the room. We don't need ta be seeing none of that..."

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-10, 03:51 PM
Oh I assure you, causing trouble is the last thing I want to do laughs Charlie, and heads off towards the motel

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-10, 04:08 PM
(Assuming he arrives unmolested) Charlie enters the motal and has a quick glance around the lobby.

To the manager: Hi, have you got any rooms left? And then suddenly to the investigators Oh, I think you're the people I'm looking for ...

Lycan 01
2008-09-10, 04:19 PM
Motel

"Yeah..." the manager grumbles. "I got three left. You'd best fork over the cash quick if you wanna get one before these folks do."

Then, dropping his voice to a lower tone, he adds, "And if they are the folks you're looking for, I'm a bit sorry for ya, fellow. They're the weirdest bunch that's come by this place in years..."

Kesnit
2008-09-10, 04:53 PM
Timothy

Timothy turns to the newcomer. Who are you? And why are you looking for us?

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-10, 05:07 PM
Charlie flashes his press card

Charlie Walker, Arkham Gazette. I think I'm interested in ... His eyes flicker to the manager and back ... the same thing you are. Anyway I thing we're disturbing this man, bustling in his lobby like this. Why don't we book rooms and talk about this some place else?

Daryk
2008-09-10, 09:45 PM

Making his way into the lobby a bit later than he would have liked, Ian clomped over to the desk and politely asked for a room. Upon hearing how few there were, he offered to share a room with an obviously nervous Timothy. It wouldn't do to lose two friends' sons, after all.

Lycan 01
2008-09-10, 11:28 PM
Motel

"Four fifty a night..." the manager grumbled to the newcomer, eyeing him suspiciously. "Room 2B. It'll be ready around the same time as the other one... You folks wanna just go ahead and pay for all the spare rooms I got, so we can all save ourselves some time? Because this is gonna get real repetative..." Clearly, the man was not very patient with non-locals...

Wiz
2008-09-11, 01:25 AM
Robert Kane

Kane pulls out the remainder of the price of the other rooms. "There my good man, we'll pick up the keys, as you say, in an hour. Do have the rooms ready, and liveable... otherwise... I will tell all my friends that this is the best motel I've ever stayed in and encourage everyone I know to visit your quaint little town." He smiles.

Kesnit
2008-09-11, 04:07 AM
Timothy

Timothy smiles with relief at Ian, then hands the desk clerk the room fee. He fails to hold back a chuckle at Robert's obvious tweeking of the clerk.

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-11, 06:33 AM
Smiling also, Charlie hands over the cash.

Sorry for forcing you guys to double up more

Zanzabarb
2008-09-11, 10:03 AM

"Aw shucks mister," Abbey says to the new comer. Then winking at Timothy, "I don't mind doubling up."

This boy is so squeamish he might just provide the distraction Alex needs to take a peek at that book...

Reaching over, Abbey attempts to pinch Timothy's bottom.

I assume that's an opposed DEX check? I don't have the book still so I'm not sure.

Kesnit
2008-09-11, 01:40 PM
Timothy was keeping people between himself and Abigail, so how did she reach him to grab his butt?

Timothy

Timothy yelped and jump away as Abigail grabbed his butt. He gave her a "beaten puppy" look, then manuvered himself so that he was as far from Abigail as possible. Without a word, he promised himself he would never again be within arm's reach of her.

Kantur
2008-09-11, 03:25 PM
Robert Talbot

Robert heads into the diner.

Lycan 01
2008-09-11, 03:58 PM
Motel

"Hey! I'm warnin' ye..." the manager snarls, glaring at Abigail. "The folks 'round here don't take too kindly to such things in public! You'd best cut thought out... I mean it."

Then turning his attention towards Mr. Kane, he states: "No worries, Outsider. The room will be perfectly fitted to your taste. Candy on the pillow, and everythin'..."

Diner

The bell above the diner's door dings as Robert Talbot walks in. The small diner is nothing special; four empty booths, ten empty bar stools, a less-than-sanitary floor, and one waitress. The woman is tall and skinny, has black hair and blue eyes, is suffering from the Innsmouth Look, as well. She removes her notepad from her apron and she glares at Mr. Tablot as he enters. "What can I get for ya, Outsider?" she growls, obviously not feeling too mannerly towards the customer.

In the back, a seedy looking cook peers through the window into the kitchen. Even without the Innsmouth Look, he'd be overqualified for the title of ugly. A battered chef's hat sits crooked on his bald head, and he growls a warning to the waitress: "Don't be too rude to him, now... We need the business!"

Wiz
2008-09-11, 05:01 PM
Robert Kane

Kane leaves the inn as well, welcoming the open air of the town to the smell of the inn. He see's Talbot entering the diner and walks after him, going over to see what kind of fish was on the menu. He enters shortly after Talbot does.

Lycan 01
2008-09-11, 05:06 PM
Diner

"Oh great, another one..." the waitress grumbles. "What can I get for you, sir?"

"And before you ask, we ain't got much..." the cook interjected. "We got fried fish, grilled fish, fish sandwitches, and toast... I might be able to find you some turkey for a sandwitch, if you're lucky..."

Wiz
2008-09-11, 05:09 PM
Kane

Kane smiles, "I'll take the deep fried fish, chips... and if you have it, plenty of malt vinegar."

Lycan 01
2008-09-11, 05:20 PM
Diner

"I think I can fix that up fer ya, Outsider..." the cook shrugs. "It'll cost ya 'bout fifty cents... And it'll take about 15 minutes... How 'bout you, fella? What you wantin'?"

Kantur
2008-09-11, 08:56 PM
Rober Talbot

"If you can find some turkey, I'd appreachiate it. Otherwise the grilled fish."

He heads to a booth, sitting and reading his bible.

McSherrie
2008-09-11, 09:27 PM
Alex hands over her money for a room, smiling apologetically at the man and hands over some money. "Miss Abigail can share my room. We will be sure to keep out of your hair as much as possible." Turning to Abigail, she bows and offers her arm. "Shall we take some refreshment, my dear?"

Lycan 01
2008-09-11, 09:32 PM
Motel

"Well, 'least one of ye has some manners..." the manager grumbled.

Diner

"Hm..." the cook frowns. "I'll see if I can find sum fer ya, Outsider..." He then dissappears from the window, and the sounds of culinary equipment being moved around in the kitchen can be heard soon after.

Vrek
2008-09-11, 10:15 PM
Edward groaned at the denial of cigarettes. He knew he should have gotten a pack earlier, but he had been running a bit to the meeting with Mr. Zapetto, and he hadn't had the chance to stop by a store since then. "Don't suppose you'd have a pack of gum, either? He sneaked a look out the door, then turned back the man. "So what's the story with the monument? Looks like it was a lot nicer a while ago. He started, just trying to get the guy talking more, just make him more approachable. Easiest way to learn things was from a talking man.

Lycan 01
2008-09-12, 12:12 AM
General Store

"Sorry sir, no gum, either..." the clerk shrugged. He then leaned forward, in order to get a look at the statue. "Yeah, its supposed to commemorate the citizens of Innsmouth who fought in the Revolution. It used to look a lot better, back before..."

The clerk suddenly stops talking, as if interupted by some unseen force, and his eyes nervously dart to the floor beneath Edward. It seems that he has heard something that the customer did not. "Mister..." the clerk whispers softly, "I really don't think you'd be smart to keep askin' questions..."

Wiz
2008-09-12, 12:15 AM
Kane

Robert Kane sits down in a booth and looks out the window at an angle across the square, watching the temple as unobtrusively as possible.

Zanzabarb
2008-09-12, 02:25 AM

Abbey furrows her brow a bit.

I thought that'd go a little smoother... don't forget to apologize to that boy, you sure are making friends Abigail Higgons.

With a shrug and a sheepish look she takes Alex's offered arm. "Yes, lets. I'm famished."

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-12, 05:27 AM
'Do you mind if I join your little party to eat?' Charlie asks Alex and Abigail 'I think I have things to discuss with you.'

Daryk
2008-09-12, 07:18 PM

Ian waited for Abbey to leave before speaking to Tim. "Well Tim, you up for some food? We don't have to sit with Abbey."

Kesnit
2008-09-12, 07:34 PM
Timothy

Timothy gives Ian a look of relief. Yeah, food would be a good thing.

Daryk
2008-09-12, 08:14 PM

"All right, then," Ian said, heading out the door toward the diner at a rather slower pace than the preceding group.

Vrek
2008-09-13, 11:06 AM
Edward Carnby,
General Store

Edward's casual smile turned into a frown. The shopkeeper seemed genuinely nervous. With a nod he said back, "Well, thanks anyways pal. Have a good day.

He turned to exit the store. He supposed he should go find his fellows. He had caught the quick glance at the floor. Maybe he had something in the cellar he shouldn't know about. He stepped into the plaza, heading towards the motel.

Kantur
2008-09-13, 11:56 AM
Robert Talbot

Robert sits, waiting as he continues to read.

Wiz
2008-09-13, 12:32 PM
Robert Kane

While Kane is watching the square (the temple), he turns over his coffee cup and pushes it closer to the table edge, waiting for the waitress to come fill it.

Lycan 01
2008-09-14, 07:30 PM
Monday, 7:30 PM, Innsmouth

The majority of the Investigators are now in the Diner, enjoying a large meal of fish 'n chips, with plenty of coffee and vinegar to meet everyone's liking. The chef had decided that cooking in bulk would be easier than making several specially ordered meals... no one argued, since the food actually turned out to be decent. Not world class variety, but it still pleased the taste.

Edward Carnby, however, had decided to head back over to the motel, for some strange reason...

Zanzabarb
2008-09-16, 12:02 PM

Looks like everyone is a little too shaken up to be discussing things in public. I can't blame them, it seems every pair of eyes or ears in this town is turned our way. Ah hell, I got to get some sleep.

Abbey sucks down the last of her fried fish and lets out a satisfied belch.
"That ol' innkeeper didn't know what he was talking about." Then raising her voice she hollers back to the chef, "Hey! Cookie! Excellent Chips!"

She stands up, stretches, then pulls some bills out of her utility belt and throws a couple on the table.

"Well, gents. I'm off to bed. Thanks for the...er... stimulating dinner conversation. Perhaps it'll all be clearer by the light of day."

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-16, 12:30 PM
Seeing the moment to speak quickly passing as Abigail stands to leave, Charlie pipes up.

Oh, sorry, before you head off, could we just talk business for a second?

He looks round at the group

Now, as I said, I'm a journalist. I recently found out that some kid had gone missing, and being starved of any good stories at the moment, I decided to snoop around. Missing people seems to be quite a theme in Arkham of late; remember that Dr West fellow? Disappeared from his lab, leaving no body and an insane assistant. Anyway, I spoke to some of this kid's friends and such, and they told me a bunch of characters matching your general description were already investigating. I set off this evening on the trail, and lo and behold, I seem to have found you. So, what I'm proposing, is we team up. I'm an old hand at this sort of thing, and I reckon I might be able to help you. So wadda you say?

He smiles and looks at everyone warmly

Zanzabarb
2008-09-16, 12:37 PM

As Abbey sits back down to listen the journalist she casually scans the restaurant to just how many Innsmouthers are eavesdropping.

Wiz
2008-09-16, 01:11 PM
Robert Kane

Kane calls the waitress over to refresh his coffee. "So, I'm curious. I was looking for someone who might have come through here a few days back. Young fellow..." He goes on to describe Luke. "This is the only diner in town so I figure he must have come here."

Kesnit
2008-09-16, 01:21 PM
Timothy

Timothy takes his time eating his dinner, hoping to avoid having to interact with Abigail again this evening. He gives a quiet sigh of relief when she gets up to leave. His heart stops when the journalist stops her and asks if he can join them.

Well, it's one more person I can keep between myself her.

Sure, I don't see a problem with it.

Lycan 01
2008-09-16, 01:33 PM
The waitress frowns as Mr. Kane describes Luke to her. "Yeah, he came in here the other day askin' all sorts of questions. He got on a few of the other patrons nerves... They didn't do anything to him, though. 'Least not here... But you'd be wise to keep yourself from asking too many questions, too. It'll get you in trouble real fast 'round here..."

Wiz
2008-09-16, 02:25 PM
Robert Kane

Kane raises an eyebrow, "Really... you mean the locals will DO something to someone if they ask too many questions?!?" He looks perturbed, "I hadn't realized we were still living in the dark ages." He purses his lips thoughtfully, "I wonder if the state police could help me find my friend... they might have some records... I wonder if other people have vanished in this area." He glances up at the waitress, "Oh... sorry... not asking you any questions, just thinking out loud."

Lycan 01
2008-09-16, 04:01 PM
"You Outsiders have your own ways of dealing with those who stir up trouble. So why shouldn't Innsmouth be entitled to their own methods? Dark Ages or not, its still a stupid idea to go around angering people by askin' about things that ain't none of their businesses..." And with that, the waitressed narrows her eyes, and then turns to walk back behind the counter. About that time, the cook sticks his head through the window and growls: "Hey... Ya'll had best be hurryin' it up. We gotta clean this place up for closin' soon..."

Lycan 01
2008-09-16, 06:28 PM
7:40 PM, Monday, Innsmouth

The sun has nearly set completely, and the last remaining light in the sky has begun to die out. It is at this point that Edward Carnby walks into the Diner, and returns to the rest of the group.

(OOC: You may now post in the main thread again, Vrek.)

Vrek
2008-09-16, 06:43 PM
Edward Carnby

Edward half jogged into the diner, quickly spotting the group and rushing over to them. There you lot are! Been running across town looking for you!" He leaned over the table, taking a quick peek back at the diner workers. "Listen," He whispered, we have to find someplace quiet, we have a whole lot to talk about. Th- Wait, who're you?" He directed at Charlie. He raised an eyebrow at the rest of the group, "Is he a local?"

Zanzabarb
2008-09-18, 12:18 AM

Abbey looks after the waitress as she walks away. 'why shouldn't Innsmouth be entitled to their own methods?' If that ain't ominous.... how do you get yourself into these situations Abigail Higgons? How?

As Edward jogs in, she turns her attention to him and begins to listen intently. At first she's annoyed when he stops to ask about Charlie and then realizes they haven't met yet.
"Oh, Ed this is Charlie. Charlie, Ed. He's no local and he seems ok. Came into town just after us, same reason. What's up? What did you find? We could go back to a hotel room if you don't think its safe here, they're closing up anyhow."

Wiz
2008-09-18, 12:48 AM
Robert Kane

Kane stands, dropping the price of his meal and a reasonable tip for an unreasonable waitress there. He steps forward to the booth with the largest group. "We should go..."

Daryk
2008-09-18, 05:32 AM

Ian ate his meal at a reasonable pace. This wasn't a trench in France, after all. He nodded when the cook mentioned the diner would close soon, but didn't obviously rush. He did, however, appear to finish about the time the others were beginning to leave. Looking across the table at Timothy, he said, "I suppose we should get going too, eh Tim?"

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-18, 05:54 AM
Hi Ed says Charlie, nodding and shaking hands. Hmmm, I'd better check the car ...Well, I'll see you guys tomorrow. I might want to take interviewsfor the story at some point - You know, human interest.
He then heads back out the door to the plaza.

unless someone heads me off

Kesnit
2008-09-18, 09:21 AM
Timothy

Timothy finishes his dinner, but with some trepidation. Abigail is making him more and more nervous, and it is affecting his stomach. My luck, I'll be up all night with my stomach. Oh, why does that woman have to be part of this group.

He looks up at Ian's words. Yes, we should get back. Doesn't look like much goes on around here after dark.

Zanzabarb: No reflection on you. I actually think we'll end up with some interesting RP out of Timothy and Abigail. :smallbiggrin:

As for Timothy's words, I could not resist the ironic comment!

Vrek
2008-09-18, 06:07 PM
Edward stuck his hand back into his pockets after the handshake with Charlie. He also snuck another look at the back of the motel, before shooting his look out the door. "Yeah. Let's get outta here, back to the motel then. Quick." Growing up in downtown New York, and street racing every other night really hardened a guy's nerves. But Edward wuold have to admit he was getting a little bit scared. He knew there was something about this place from the start.

Let's hurry. And I think we oughta stay in groups for now. That sentence might seem a bit cryptic to the others, but h didn't care.

Lycan 01
2008-09-18, 07:04 PM
Diner

A sudden clanging noise in the back of the restaraunt, followed by a few hushed curses, reveal that the waitress is no longer behind the counter, and the cook is no longer in the window. Shortly thereafter, a door can be heard slamming in the back of the Diner.

At the same time, someone yells from the plaza. It seems that a man had been sprinting away from Charlie's car, only to trip and land on his face. He quickly staggers to his feet, and darts into the nearest alley.

Wiz
2008-09-19, 10:52 AM
Robert Kane

Kane immediately bolts for the door of the diner, running out into the square, he attempts to intercept the man who tripped, running from the car. "Hey, you there... STOP!"

Kesnit
2008-09-19, 11:46 AM
Timothy

Timothy follows Robert out of the diner.

Wiz didn't say anything about chasing the man into the alley. If he did, Timothy will go with him.

Lycan 01
2008-09-19, 11:46 AM
Robert is too late. By the time he is out the door, the man has already scurried into a nearby alley and dissappeared into the growing darkness. A few citizens stare through windows and shutters at the scene, and then go back to what they were doing as though nothing had happened.

Shoulda tried a grapple check... :smalltongue:

Also, I will be at my parent's house this weekend, and they are without internet. Ergo, do not expect me to post much, if any, from this afternoon 'til Sunday afternoon.

Kesnit
2008-09-19, 12:46 PM
Timothy

Timothy turns to Robert. Did you get a good look at him? I didn't.

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-19, 12:53 PM
Damn swears Charlie. Wonder what he was doing with the car?

He goes over to check it out

paying attention to the engine and controls, and the stuff he had in the boot

Wiz
2008-09-19, 01:35 PM
Robert Kane

Kane shakes his head, "I didn't see his face, but it's obvious the locals start their reactions long before questions are asked."

Kesnit
2008-09-19, 02:02 PM
Timothy

Timothy gives a half-laugh at Robert's comment, then walks over to Charlie. Is your car all right?

Kantur
2008-09-19, 03:27 PM
Robert Talbot

Robert gets up quickly at the noise, looking out the nearest window or door to try and see what's happening or anything unusual.

Spot Hidden - [roll0] [45]

Daryk
2008-09-19, 05:49 PM

Seeing Tim dash for the door, Ian dropped the bill for both of them on the table with a tip to round it out and followed at a pace that wouldn't trip him up.

Vrek
2008-09-19, 09:38 PM
Edward Carnby, Diner

Edward stared out the door. Was someone breaking into someone's car? Edward didn't have many valuables in his own car, and all his case files were at his office. But the car itself was a bit of a treasure to him. This wasn't going to be a fun stay, he thought, thinking back to his earlier discoveries. "I hope they stick together." Edward said, referring to the people who just ran out towards the commotion. As worried as he was, he stuck to his own advice and stay with those who lagged behind.

"Well, let's hurry. 'Don't really wanna stick around here. Besides, you'll really want to hear what I've gotta say. He stood back, allowing Abigail and Alex (maybe?) room to step out.

Zanzabarb
2008-09-20, 06:17 AM

"What in the Sam Hell?"

As the small diner explodes into a blur of activity, Abbey stands up again, careful to avoid the men rushing out into the street.

I knew I should've just gone back to the hotel to catch some shut-eye...

"I'm all ears, Eddy my man. Let's go see if everyone is alright and then get someplace quiet."

This time its Abbey who offers Alex her arm as they walk quickly out of the diner.

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-20, 11:03 AM
[spoiler]
Oh yeah, before Lycan gets back I should just make some rolls for searching the car in case theres anything not immediately obvious. Drive Auto is to know if the cars been subtly tampered with, in case thats required. Electrical repair might be better, which would be against 10 instead

Spot Hidden - [roll0] against 65
Drive Auto - [roll1] aginst 20

Lycan 01
2008-09-21, 02:50 PM
Plaza

Charlie examines his car, and discovers that the front tires have been slashed quite violently. It would be unsafe to attempt driving with them. Nothing else is wrong with the car on the outside. Getting in and revving the car up, he discovers that it still runs quite well.

Drive Auto rolls in that car will be reduced to half the driver's skill level.

Daryk
2008-09-21, 03:10 PM

Ian caught up to the others as they inspected Charlie's car. "That's not good," he said, mostly to himself. Scratching his chin, he walked over to his own car to check its tires.

I'm guessing inspecting a tire to see if it's been slashed doesn't actually require a spot check...

Lycan 01
2008-09-21, 06:01 PM
Plaza

Ian's tires are still in good condition.

Daryk
2008-09-21, 07:14 PM

Shrugging, Ian said, "Well it looks like they've only taken a disliking to one of our cars so far. Come on Tim, let's see if our room is ready."

Wiz
2008-09-21, 08:01 PM
Robert Kane

Kane frowns, "Well, I suppose we'll have to see what kind of hospitality they offer... since it has become mandatory."

Kesnit
2008-09-21, 09:12 PM
Timothy

Timothy gives the cars a confused look. The natives aren't friendly, but they don't seem to be running us out of town. If that was the goal, why slash the tires. He shrugged. Or maybe most of the natives want us gone and there is just one luntic running around.

Kantur
2008-09-22, 05:03 AM
Robert Talbot

Robert walks out to take a quick look over the cars as they seem to've attracted the attention of the rest of the group.

"That's definetly odd...Perhaps things will be clearer after a good night's rest? I doubt we'll find whoever did it tonight, or get any closer to achieving our aims here..."

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-23, 01:29 PM
Charlie curses vulgarly under his breath.

This isn't good. It looks like someone objects to us snooping around here.

He pauses for a moment, then starts again, more enthusiastic

At least things are getting interesting.

He picks up his belongings out of the boot, and goes to head back to the motel.

Wiz
2008-09-23, 09:55 PM
Robert Kane

Kane takes his key from the desk clerk. "Thank you, my good man... I trust everything is good. Oh, and you were misinformed, the food in the diner was excellent tonight. I particularly enjoyed the service, the waitress there has such a friendly disposition." He turns to look at the rest of the group. "Did anyone need to double up with me?"

Lycan 01
2008-09-25, 10:06 PM
Monday 8:00 PM, Innsmouth

Motel

The Investigators leave the Diner and head over to the motel after having a bit of car trouble. They find the motel's front desk empty - the manager seems to have retired to his office. The Investigators head upstairs, and go into room 2B in order to hear what Edward has to say.

The room is rather dull and dreary. Old green wallpaper barely clings to the walls, and the ceiling plaster is cracked and moldy. The carpet stinks, and appears to have several less-than-visually-appealing stains set in it. The window is a simple 4-squared glass pane, one of which is cracked, and there's a bit of a draft coming from it. The two side doors are in good condition, although the one to room 2B seems to be sitting on loose hinges.

As far as furniture goes, there are two beds - small and uncomfortable looking, with plain white sheets and lumpy pillows - in the center of the room, with two nightstands side-by-side between them. There's a small desk near the entrance door, and two chairs pushed in to it. There's a large bookshelf forced up against the wall to the right, and its actually partially blocking door to room 2D. There's also a cabinet across the room by the window... the clasp is broken, and no matter what you do, the doors will slowly creak back open in an annoying manner. The room is also lit by a dull electrical light, although candles would probably do a much better job, even if it were still on...

Vrek
2008-09-30, 12:33 AM
Edward checked the locks again, the third time since they got here. "All the locks look good enough. Oughta hold...

He turned back to the group, pulling out a chair to sit on. He sat quietly, trying to think of how to phrase what he had to say. He tapped his forefingers together, unintentionally letting the tension build. He whispered quietly, Alright, first things first. No one ever goes anywhere alone. I took a peak at the ledger that guy keeps for this place. Our boy Luke checked in a few days ago. Never checked out. I looked back a few weeks, mostly anyone who stayed here never officially checked out.

He paused, then pointed at the ceiling, a simple gesture that he remembered something. And in the general store... I swear, that guy was hiding something. I think he's hiding something in his basement. I think this whole bloody town is in on it. Something is wrong here. Very wrong. But we don't have enough to bring in some coppers on it. We gotta find Luke quick, then get the hell outta here...
And there isn't a single bloody smoke in this goddamned town.

Wiz
2008-09-30, 01:17 AM
Robert Kane

Kane frowns, "Interesting... down in the basement... perhaps we can get a look in there tonight."

Kantur
2008-09-30, 04:32 AM
Robert Talbot

"They never checked out? Maybe someone should look around here, 'getting lost' and seeing if we can find anything of those previous guests'. But yes, something is definetly off about this place, and from what happened with the car, they really have no love for outsiders - it may've been a warning shot to try and get us to leave as soon as it was fixed..."

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-30, 06:34 AM
Charlie looks around, listening to the others

OK. First, if you wanted smokes Ed, I've got several here. He hands his ciggy case over, first taking and lighting one himself.

Second, if what your sayings accurate, then this could just have got potentially dangerous. Is anyone here packing heat? I've got my Colt, and more importantly a license to carry it. Finally, I second the motion that we should have a snoop around tonight. And I volunteer.

Kesnit
2008-09-30, 10:46 AM
Timothy

Where do you want to search? The motel? General store?

Wiz
2008-09-30, 10:59 AM
Robert Kane

Kane looks thoughtful, "I don't have a gun, but I would be happy to accompany you. Nobody should travel alone... as we said."

Daryk
2008-09-30, 07:15 PM

"I brought my Colt from France. If it's that important, I can drive back to Boston tomorrow and pick up my Springfield as well. It's clear the locals don't like outsiders, but I'm not sure all of us poking around on the first night is a good idea. And I'm definitely not the most... mobile person at night. My foot makes it easy to get tripped up in the dark. If you really think it's dangerous enough to warrant taking weapons out, then we should set up a bastion here. A place to run TO if things drop in the pot. Whoever stays back can sleep in turns. How does that sound?" Ian said.

Vrek
2008-09-30, 08:05 PM
"Ah, thanks Charlie. I owe you a drink when were all done with this." He said, taking the cigarette and putting it in his lips. He opened the side of his coat, revealing the revolver in it's holster in his armpit. "I got my .39, but I don't think shooting up small town USA is really the best idea. We don't have much in our favor here, and I think this xenophobic little town will more then quickly help one another out. I don't about you fellas, but I'm not looking for a life sentence here."

And if were gonna go sneak out, we have to be careful; That guys door was open on the way in. If he's even still hanging around there, it'd be an open ear to the front door.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-01, 07:06 AM
Woah there Charlie laughs.

I'm not suggesting turning the place into a shooting gallery at all ... Hell, I hate having to use this. But, if things get ugly, it's worth having a deterrent of some kind.

He stops and thinks

Now I think it might be worth using a decoy. Maybe have some people go for a harmless stroll, and attract attention, while meanwhile, somebody else does some snooping. What dyou think?

Kantur
2008-10-01, 04:30 PM
Robert Talbot

Robert sighs and shakes his head.
"Can we please avoid using those things? The Lord's Book does try to remind us all not to kill people and I doubt he intended even injuring others as an alternative... Shot's in the air I suppos eI can't really object to if they're neccessaary..."
He still doesn't look easy at the thought though.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-02, 09:06 AM
Well Father, I guess that puts you in the decoy boat chuckles Charlie.

Wiz
2008-10-02, 09:14 AM
Robert Kane

Kane shrugs, "We can decoy together, if that's what you need us for."

Zanzabarb
2008-10-03, 03:13 AM

Abbey looks around at the faces huddled and whispering in this gloomy hotel room. The poor lighting makes them look sunken like the long dead corpses of cattle in places so remote that the vultures hadn't found them. Another shudder runs up her spine.

Plans, scheming... why does it seem that the intentions of this little meeting are so pitiful, so hopeless? This place is draining...

In attempt to break from her morbid reverie, she clears her throat and interjects, "Gun play, huh? I wouldn't mind having my trusty Winchester. Didn't think to bring it on this milk run though. Ian, I'd be willing to drive back to Boston with you to get it. I've got access to a sea plane too, I could fly us back down, land out in the bay... or down the coast a bit if we were had the notion to be more subtle. But most of you all seem to think that time is of the essence and I don't disagree. If anybody can find me a rifle, I'm dead shot. Otherwise... well, I've been in a number scrapes but I don't hold much with fisticuffs."

Remembering a promise she made to herself earlier, she continues, "And as far as distractions go, I tried one earlier grabbing poor old Timothy over there. Sorry about that bud, by the way. I don't think the folks in this town truck much with silliness or oddness in any fashion. Including strangers taking walks at this time of night. If we're going to do this, those doing the distracting better be just as prepared for trouble as those doing the searching. I've got to say though, I think its best for us to lay low tonight and keep a watch. "

Kesnit
2008-10-03, 11:31 AM
Timothy

The young man nods to acknowledge Abigail's apology, but reinforces his mental promise to never be within arm's length of her.

I agree with Abigail. Before we go running around, we should find out more about this town.

Vrek
2008-10-04, 12:54 PM
"Every moment we waste, the more likely we won't find Luke. If were going to decide on a plan, we should hurry up." Edward said as he looked around for an ashtray. Not finding one, he tapped it onto a corner of the desk.

"And personally, I don't think using a priest as a distraction is the best idea. Just doesn't sit well with me. No offense, Father."

Zanzabarb
2008-10-04, 01:05 PM

Abbey looks at Ed earnestly as she takes in his words. "Well, ok fella. You're probably right. My pa always said, 'You let a calf go one night while you'd rather sleep and you'll have a pack of happy coyots come morning.' Let's put her to a vote. All in favor of snooping around tonight, raise one."

As she raises her own hand she thinks, I sure as heck don't want to, but we're getting paid to find this boy alive...

As an afterthought she clears her throat, leans over, and taps Ed on the arm. "By the way, you said you were in the general store. Anything in the way of firearms there?"

Wiz
2008-10-04, 02:02 PM
Robert Kane

Kane looks around, "I say we start looking as soon as possible. From the look of things, these people don't waste any time going after strangers."

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-05, 05:35 AM
Charlie raises his hand.

My idea, so I guess I'm in.

Kantur
2008-10-05, 06:29 AM
Robert Talbot

Robert thinks for a moment before nodding.
"We need to find him, and we need information. I can't see a reason to delay our searching..."

Daryk
2008-10-05, 07:50 AM

"As I said earlier, those who don't want to go poke around tonight can stay here and sleep in turns. You can consider me in that lot," Ian said.

Wiz
2008-10-05, 10:42 PM
Robert Kane (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=78618)

Kane looks around at the others, waiting to see their response.

Vrek
2008-10-06, 12:04 AM
Edward Carnby

"So were all settled then? It'll be me, Abbey, Kane, and Father Robert, who go out; everyone else stays, and gets some rest?" Ed said, as he took one last drag on the cigarette, then putting out the small smoldering tip on the corner of the desk.

Ed turned to Abigail,"And no, I don't remember seeing any guns in the store, though I wasn't really looking for any then. Might get lucky." He shrugged while he stood up, stretching out his back with a thin yawn. "All aboard who's going aboard, I guess. Oh, and Ian: You said you had a gun, right?"

Daryk
2008-10-06, 05:34 AM

"Yes, I did. And as I mentioned, I think it should stay here so you have a place to run if things drop in the pot," Ian said.

Wiz
2008-10-06, 08:13 AM

Kane nods, "Let's go."

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-06, 09:42 AM
Erm excuse me? I'm Scotch mist am I? Jokes Charles. Whole thing was my plan, don't forget me!

Kantur
2008-10-06, 11:32 AM
Robert Talbot

Robert turns quickly towards the window.
"Did any of you hear that? It sounded like there's someone out there?"

Wiz
2008-10-06, 11:43 AM
Robert Kane

On edge from the events going on, Kane suddenly rushes to the window and throws it open.

If there is a roof outside the window and someone crouched on it, immediately grab them and pull them in. If they try to scramble away, jump out and grab them. If it's a drop and there is something flying, clinging outside, try to grab it and pull it inside.

Lycan 01
2008-10-06, 02:03 PM
(Oh, that Grapple check... :smalltongue:)

8:15, Room 2B

Throwing the window open, Robert sees... nothing of interest.

The window overlooks the alley behind the motel, which is empty other than a few empty trash cans and what appears to be a napping vagrant under a tattered blanket. The building opposite appears to be a two-story boarding house, judging from the positioning of the windows. They are all dark, however, and many of them are cracked or broken from age and lack of upkeep. The only movement that can be seen is that of the clouds slowly drifting in front of the moon, which is just a day or two away from being full.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-06, 06:32 PM
What the hell was that ... sorry father ... Wait, you think someone's been listening?

Wiz
2008-10-06, 06:56 PM
Robert Kane

Kane goes out the door of the room, walks downstairs and then goes around to the alley... if the bum is still there under his blanket he goes over and crouches by him, lifting the blanket. "So... " Those watching him from the room might see him flip the blanket back, but it's hard to make out what exactly it is that sends him falling back into some trash cans, screaming horribly. He stumbles out of the far end of the alley and collapses... puking his guts out.

Lycan 01
2008-10-07, 12:41 AM
8:10 PM, Room 2C

Robert, intent on interogating the vagrant, bolts out the door. The rest of the investigators are left dumbfounded by what just happened. They had no time to stop him, and no chance to follow him before he was already out the door and out of sight.

A few moments later, footsteps can be heard in the alley below, as well as the squeeking of rats and the crunching of garbage underfoot. It is safe to assume that Robert is looking for the vagrant... Several seconds later, the sound of a blanket being unfurled is heard - Robert must have yanked the blanket off the vagrant.

However, what follows is shocking, to say the least. The air is suddenly filled with the roar of thousands of flies swarming through the air, and even two floors up the stench is overpowering. Countless flies swarm past the window, and a dozen or so shy of a hundred make their way in through the open window. A chorus of squeeks and squeels can be heard, most likely belonging to rats... a lot of rats.

And then the screaming starts.

"OH GOOOOOOD!!!!" you hear the voice of Robert Kane scream out into the cold night air. "OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OOOOHHHH GOOOOOOOD, WHYYYYYY?!" You hear a loud thud, followed by more screaming. The screams become incoherant sobs, mostly comprised of cries unto God, begging to know why, followed by the unmistakable sounds of a person vomiting. "WHHHYYYYYYYY?!" you hear again, followed by more retching, sobbing, and incoherant screaming.

Just to make sure we're clear, you're all still in Room 2C (typo in my previous post...), and Robert took off out the door to go talk to the vagrant. You guys heard him in the alley below, thanks to the open window. But apparently, he didn't react well to whatever he found down there...

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-07, 04:20 AM
Charlie loosens his pistol in his holster (without drawingit), and runs downstairs following Robert.

His plan is to make sure Roberts OK. However, he's not going to closely examine whatever he saw, unless it notably draws his attention, whih is your call I guess. He's seen corpses before, but if it's up and moving ...

Daryk
2008-10-07, 05:41 AM

"Somebody kill some of these flies! I'll cover you from the window, Charlie!" Ian called after Charlie as he headed for the door. That said, he knelt at the window, pistol drawn. Sweeping the alley, he clicked the safety off.

Spot Hidden: [roll0] vs. 25

Kesnit
2008-10-07, 06:58 AM
Timothy

Timothy runs to the window and looks out.

I will leave it up to our evil Keeper what Timothy can see. :smalltongue:

Zanzabarb
2008-10-07, 09:50 AM

One minute she is talking to with a group of seemingly sane and a reasonable men, discussing a plan for a somewhat orderly investigation of the town and the next the scene before her is chaos. Some are running out the door, others to the window, guns are being drawn, the room is swarming with flies.

"What in Damnation!?" She yells at no one in particular. Then in a lower voice, "Gah! I hate flying bugs..."

She grabs a pillow off the bed and begins swatting flies in her general area, trying to avoid getting too near the window.

Kantur
2008-10-07, 11:08 AM
Robert Talbot

Robert gets up, trying to almost 'herd' the insects back outside.

Vrek
2008-10-07, 06:28 PM
Edward Carnby

"Kane! I said don't go off al-" Edward started, before hearing the horrible noise outsides, most likely from Robert. Before he could react further, the room was swarming with insects.

Trying to bat some of the flies away, before craning his head at another slammed door. "Damnit, who just left?"

Zanzabarb
2008-10-08, 01:14 AM

"It was Charlie, Ed." Abbey manages between swings, breathing hard. "I think he was drawing his gun. So much for our subtle plan, eh?"

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-08, 07:16 PM
Ignoring the unsettling sight that greets him, Charlie runs up to Robert

Are you OK? Come on, calm down, it's alright

I'll make some rolls to try and calm him down. If thats possible, pick the skill you think fits best:

[roll0] vs 70 (fast talk), 70 (persuade), or 60 (psychology)

Wiz
2008-10-08, 09:56 PM
Robert Kane

As Charlie talks to him, Kane grows a little calmer, his eyes still seem wild, though. He's obviously never seen anything like this in his life. He looks around, "This place... this town... they would let that happen... let him rot... infestation... day after day!" He sounds on the verge of another hysterical outbreak.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-15, 05:50 AM
OK, come on - let's get you back to the hotel

Charlie very gently places his hand on Robert's arm.

We'll call the police about what you saw

Kesnit
2008-10-15, 06:43 AM
Timothy

Hearing Charlie's comment to Robert, he hurries to the lobby and uses the pay phone to call the police.

OOC: I am assuming there is no phone in the room. If there is, Timothy will use that one.

Wiz
2008-10-15, 08:20 AM
Kane

Robert rises slowly, shaking. "Dddon't call the pol...lice. They'll be innn on it..."

Lycan 01
2008-10-15, 12:03 PM
((Too late. :smallbiggrin:))

Timothy rushes down the stairs, and grabs the phone on the front desk. He quickly dials for the police. After several seconds of ringing, a raspy voice answers: "Innsmouth Police Department. What's yer problem?"

Kesnit
2008-10-15, 01:10 PM
Timothy

Knew I moved too fast.

There is a dead body behind the inn.

Zanzabarb
2008-10-15, 01:14 PM

Having killed or driven off most of the insects, Abbey sits heavily on the bed and looks around at the situation.

She asks in Ian's direction, although again at no one in particular, "What's our status? What's going on down there?"

I knew we should have just gone to bed....

Lycan 01
2008-10-15, 01:17 PM
The voice on the other end of the line goes silent for a few seconds, and then asks: "And?"

Meanwhile, upstairs, most of the flies have either been killed or driven off, and the stench is starting to fade.

Vrek
2008-10-15, 06:54 PM
Edward Carnby

Edward let his head fall back, leaning against the wall. Awkwardly, one hand fished into his pocket, trying to find the half-smoked cigarette. He pulled out, giving his half-hearted response to Abbey, "Doesn't sound too good. Well ask Charlie, he sounds a lot better off then Kane does. Poor guy sounds terrified."

"So we still gonna get check out the shop? If we do I think we oughta leave Kane here, You can handle him, right Ian?" Opening his eyes, he looked around the room, "Anyone got a li- Where the hell's Tim?"

Dropping the bud, he shot up, ran to the door, growling, "How many times do I have to bloody say: 'Don't go off a-freaking-lone!'" He opened the door, then turned back, saying more harshly then he had to, "The rest of you stay together!"

With that, he ran downstairs to look for Timothy.

Daryk
2008-10-15, 10:08 PM

Without taking his eyes from the alley, or lowering his pistol, Ian said, "Body in the alley. And a lot more flies than should have been. I've seen a lot of death, but nothing like that."

Responding to Edward's question before he noticed Timothy's absence, Ian nodded once, still covering the alley, and said, "Yes."

Wiz
2008-10-15, 10:12 PM
Robert Kane

Kane collapses in a chair and seems to be slowly gathering himself together.

Kesnit
2008-10-15, 11:39 PM
Timothy

The voice on the other end of the line goes silent for a few seconds, and then asks: "And?"

Uh, aren't you going to send someone to investigate?

Lycan 01
2008-10-15, 11:52 PM
Timothy

Uh, aren't you going to send someone to investigate?

Again, a short silence is heard, followed by a response of: "No."

Zanzabarb
2008-10-16, 12:22 AM

Abbey looks after Ed as he runs out the door.

"Yeah," she mutters half-heartedly, "I'll stay right here."

Turning to Ian, "So you were in the war?"

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-16, 06:05 AM
Judging by Robert sitting down in a chair, I'm assuming we came back inside Charlie follows Robert in, and sits on the bed.

Is everyone OK in here?

Kantur
2008-10-16, 01:55 PM
"Fine I think...What happened out there?"

Wiz
2008-10-16, 02:32 PM
Robert Kane

Kane looks up from where he is slumped in the chair, "Death..."

Kantur
2008-10-16, 05:44 PM
"What? A body just lying there in the street?"

Daryk
2008-10-16, 07:01 PM

"Yes, I served in France," Ian said to Abbey with a raised eyebrow.

Turning back to the alley, he responded to Robert's question,"That, and enough flies for a company of dead men. Not normal at all."

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-16, 07:14 PM
Charlie nods.

Yeah, that was an unpleasant shock. What the heck is this place?

Where did the others go?

Kantur
2008-10-16, 07:20 PM
Robert Talbot

"If you're willing to go out there, I'm tempted to wish whoever it was a speedy journey to the Lord and bless him on his way. If he's been lying there, I doubt any local priest's given him that decency, and all men and women deserve that at least. Though I think we should stick to the decision of no man or woman alone from now on."

Daryk
2008-10-16, 07:26 PM

Ian considered for a moment, then said, "I think I'm more use up here should anything happen. I can see most of the alley, and still know how to use this thing. Seems several of the others might be willing to go with you, though."

Zanzabarb
2008-10-17, 01:38 AM

"Preacher, you'd be doing a brave thing. But surely Heaven can wait till morning."

Addressing anyone who might have seen the corpse, she asks rhetorically, "How long do you think he'd been dead?"

Then turning back to Robert, "This whole town is unholy. Perhaps you should save your blessings for those of us who are still alive."

Kantur
2008-10-17, 06:45 AM
Robert Talbot

"Yes, it can wait. I don't think he'll particulary mind a few hours."

"And no one said I wouldn't be asking for the Lord's aid and protections for us this evening before I retire. And as far as I've been told, there's no daily limit to the number of times per day I can beseech the Lord."

Wiz
2008-10-17, 08:58 AM
Kane

Kane giggles slightly, "He's long gone... but not alone... dozens of rats... scores of roaches... hundreds of maggots and flies." Kane looks up, suddenly serious, "He's been rotting there for a good week or more."

Kesnit
2008-10-17, 11:33 AM
Timothy

Uh, OK. He hangs up the phone and walks back to the room where everyone else is.

Lycan 01
2008-10-17, 11:45 AM
((Everyone is back in room 2C then, I assume? Good...))

8:45 PM, Motel Room 2C

The Investigators have regrouped, and are now trying to process everything going on around them. Some wish to explore, while others think such strategy to be ill-advised. Poor Robert has regained his wits, but he seems to have lost a marble or two in the process. He should be back to normal again... eventually.

As the Investigators converse, some of them can't help but feel an ominous... presence... nearby.

SPOT HIDDEN ROLLS

Wiz
2008-10-17, 12:53 PM

Kane still seems on edge, he looks around the room nervously.

Spot Hidden: [roll0] vs 25

Daryk
2008-10-17, 05:04 PM

With everyone safely back upstairs, and the majority of the flies either dead or shooed back outside, Ian closed the window and holstered his Colt.

Spot Hidden: [roll0] vs. 25

Zanzabarb
2008-10-18, 02:05 AM

Abbey pushes herself off the bed and gets to her feet. She walks to the window, but rather than look out, she turns towards the door and begins to pace slowly as she talks.

"In light of what just happened, I think we've got to act quickly. Screaming in the street, running around with guns drawn... The time for subtlety is quickly running out. We need to arm ourselves and move out. The first place we should head is the general store. We'll check out what Ed saw and see if they've got anything we can use to defend ourselves."

Vrek
2008-10-18, 10:14 AM
Edward Carnby

Ed nodded, while tapping out the hot tip of his cigarette once again, which was now close to burning his fingers. He stood up from his spot on the floor, and looked around to the others, "Abbey's right, we gotta get moving soon. Father, Charlie, you guys still in?" He said, purposely leaving Robert Kane out.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-18, 02:33 PM
Yeah says Charlie, looking up from his notepad. This place is creeping me out, but we should be fine in a group

Kantur
2008-10-18, 02:41 PM
Robert nods.
"And the sooner the better I'm thinking...The sooner we finish, the sooner we can leave."

Wiz
2008-10-18, 03:31 PM
Robert Kane

Kane stands up, shaking slightly, "I don't know what good I'll be... no gun or anything. But I'm going to help... and get us all the hell out of this town as soon as possible."

Daryk
2008-10-18, 04:14 PM

Seeing the group bent on raising Cain straight away, Ian said, "I still say we should have a place to run TO if things drop in the pot. Either here in the hotel, or maybe at the cars."

Zanzabarb
2008-10-19, 11:41 AM

"I can't say its a bad idea, but who would be staying with you? Are you sure you want to wait alone?" Abbey lifts an eyebrow at Ian as she asks this.

Daryk
2008-10-19, 03:00 PM

"I'd rather not wait alone, but I will if need be. The alternative being stirring up trouble and running to the cars to find them with slashed tires," Ian said, a tone of resignation in his voice.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-19, 03:50 PM
Actually, thats a point. If someone doesn't keep an eye on the cars, we could be in trouble

Vrek
2008-10-19, 07:03 PM
Edward Carnby

"Yeah, Ian's got good ideas. Like I've been saying all night: we aren't leaving anyone alone. Someone's gotta stay here. I'd stay, but I think that my best place will be checking out the store, since I'm willing to bet I have more experience doing this sort of thing then the rest of you... Kane, you sure your ready to be back out on your feet?"

Wiz
2008-10-19, 08:24 PM
Robert Kane

Kane looks at Carnby, "The only thing I'm sure of is that I want to leave this town as soon as possible."

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-19, 08:50 PM
Well, I'm not going to be able to write this up for the Gazette if I spend the whole time sitting in the car. I'll give Ed some back up

Kesnit
2008-10-19, 09:12 PM
Timothy

Timothy debates speaking up to say he will go with Ed, then glances at Abigail. She had already said she was going with Ed. With a gulp, he spoke. I, uh, I'll go with Ed. Unless, of course, there is no one to wait with Ian.

Zanzabarb
2008-10-20, 12:50 AM

Catching the glance from Timothy, Abbey sighs loudly. She stops pacing, turns to the boy, and with a bit of biting sarcasm says, "Listen. You're cute and all, but if my gut is right, and it usually is, you've got more to worry about tonight than me pinching your butt again."

She turns to the rest, "Ok. I'll stay here with Ian, but if you find a rifle promise me you'll bring it back. I hate the idea of waiting around without anyway to defend myself." She pauses and thinks for a second, beginning to pace again. Then she stops and says, "I think we should wait by the cars, that way we can start honking the horns to call everyone back in an emergency. But how are y'all going to let us know... anyone bring a flaregun?"

Vrek
2008-10-21, 09:07 PM
Edward Carnby

"A flaregun, that's actually a pretty good idea... You know, I have a first aid kit under my seat in the car. Might have one there. Can't be sure, haven't opened that thing in years."

"Alright fellas, let's head out. Ian, Abbey, we'll see what we can't do about finding you some more heat. Failing that, we oughta be back within an hour anyways."

Lycan 01
2008-11-03, 08:08 PM
9:00 PM, Innsmouth Plaza

Ian and Abby decide to stay in the room, while everyone else heads down to Edward's car.

Ian and Abby haven't got much to do, really. They could examine the room(s) they rented, prepare an emergency plan, or just relax and rest up.

Meanwhile, everyone else heads to Edward's car. Night has fallen - the Plaza of Innsmouth is rather spooky when only a few poorly-maintained gas lights illuminate the edges of it. Other than the bus driver, who's busy banging around under the hood of his bus, you can't easily tell if there's anyone - or anything - lurking in the darkness.

Edward's car, along with three others belonging to the Investigators, are parked along the Left side of the Plaza from the Hotel. Edward opens his car door, takes out the first-aid kit from under his front seat, and opens it up.

Spot Hidden/Listen rolls to see if anyone or anything is sharing the Plaza with you.
Spot Hidden/Mechanical rolls to see if anything might be wrong with the car(s).
Vrek, Luck roll to see if you have a flare gun in the FAK.
If anybody else has a roll they'd like to try, be my guest...

Also, who all brought cars?! :smallconfused:

Daryk
2008-11-03, 08:27 PM

"Can we see the plaza from any of the other rooms, Abby?" Ian asked, his mind warming to the task of planning an escape route.

Ian brought a car. Large enough to carry everyone if necessary (though at least one will be rather uncomfortable).

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-04, 08:02 AM
Charlie nods at the others, and moves quietly into the shadows, keeping watch.

Lycan 01
2008-11-04, 09:12 PM
Motel

Ian and Abby can't see the Plaza from here. The rooms are on the opposite side of the building.

Plaza

Other than the bus driver, the Plaza is deserted. Edward manages to find a flare gun in his car's first aid kit. However, he also discovers a huge puddle of gasoline beneath his car - the fuel line has been cut.

Vrek
2008-11-04, 11:18 PM
Edward Carnby
Plaza

"Heh heh, alright, were in business." Edward said, pulling a small orange flaregun from the kit. He stuck the tool into his pocket, then pushed the first aid kit back into it's place. A casual glance at his dashboard caught his attention. The needle on his fuel gauge sat sadly on the letter E.

"What? I had half a tank when we got here. There..." He trailed off, before he jumped out of his car, and bent down to see a thick puddle of gasoline. "Those bastards! They cut my bloody gas line! What kinda of stupid xenophobes are these people! Don't they want us to bloody leave?!" He nearly shouted, which was perhaps not the best idea. He seethed, he'd had that car since he was a teenager, before Model T's were even mass produced. "Let's go, I've had enough of this damn town already." He said quietly, his anger still poking through.

Zanzabarb
2008-11-08, 10:52 AM
Abigail Higgons

"We're on the otherside of the building, Ian," Abbey states as matter of fact. "Perhaps it'd be better to wait at the cars while the others investigate. I feel rather ineffectual here. Of course, just hanging around out in the open would give me the creeps. Its your call buddy, you've got that foot to worry about."

Wiz
2008-11-08, 12:25 PM
Robert Kane

Kane shrugs, "Just par for the course for this place... at least they didn't fill the car with rotting bodies. Of course, that may be their long range plan."

Kesnit
2008-11-08, 01:09 PM
Timothy

The young man turns a little green at the thought of a car filled with rotting corpses. Maybe we should check the other cars.

Daryk
2008-11-08, 07:42 PM

"Good point, Abby. If we do indeed have to run, the cars are a surer way to safety. Let's head down there and make sure they're all in operating order," Ian said.

Zanzabarb
2008-11-09, 08:17 AM
"Its decided then. We wait at the cars," Abbey says as she takes a final look around the room to see if anyone left anything. Then she opens the door, looks back to see if Ian is coming along, and heads downstairs.

Daryk
2008-11-09, 04:10 PM

Ian conducted his own quick scan of the room, and waved Abby on ahead. Stairs would slow him down a bit, and there was no sense in making her wait.

[roll0] vs. Spot Hidden (25%)

Kantur
2008-11-09, 06:09 PM
Robert nods to Timothy's suggestion, silently agreeing with Edward that it's an odd plan if they aren't wanted there to stop them all from being able to leave.

Vrek
2008-11-09, 08:24 PM
Edward Carnby
Plaza

Edward nodded, then moved over to inspect the other's cars. He shrugged while looking the vehicles over. "So, what did you all say you did again?" He said over his shoulder, feeling to need to change the subject away from property damage and corpses.

Lycan 01
2008-12-02, 06:35 PM
((Pardon the paraphrasing, but I'm just trying to jumpstart this game...))

All of the Investigators are now in the Plaza. There is nothing of interest in the area, other than their cars and the bus driver, who still can't seem to fix his engine.

Edward's fuel line is cut. It can be fixed, but the gas tank is completely empty.

Wiz
2008-12-02, 06:47 PM
Robert Kane

Kane walks over to the bus driver, "Problems? We seem to be having them too."

Lycan 01
2008-12-02, 06:54 PM
"Hmph..." the bus driver scowls, leaning up from beneath his hood. "Then maybe you should tend to them instead of keeping me from mine. You'd be wise to stay out of other people's business. It already seems to have gotten the wrong attention from the wrong folks. I'd suggest you get out of here first thing in the mornin'... Tell ya what, you stop snoopin' around town, and I'll give you lot a discount trip back to Arkham tommorrow. If I can get this thing fixed, of course..." he growls, tossing his wrench hap-hazardly into the engine.

Wiz
2008-12-02, 07:15 PM
Robert Kane

Kane simply nods, "Well, I can see that some people may not be from this town, but it certainly has rubbed off on them." He turns back to his group.

Zanzabarb
2008-12-03, 02:07 PM
"Hey Ed," Abbey calls, "I know my way around an engine. Want me to take a look at your gas line? If its a clean cut, I may be able to work something out."

She grins at the man and hikes up her tool belt to sit better on her hips. "It'll help keep my mind offa' this place."

Vrek
2008-12-04, 08:48 PM
Edward Carnby
Plaza

Edward looked up when Abbey hailed him. He started by asking, "Why are you and Ian down here?" but quickly waved it off with, "Well, It doesn't matter. You think you can fix this?"

He led her over to the hood of his car, and unlatched the hood. Peering in, he said, "I'd take care of it myself, but really, haven't played around in this thing for years. And I don't think I'd have the time to stick around here and relearn all this." His head perked up a bit as he remembered why he was down here in the first place. "That's right! We should get moving anyways. Here, take these." He fished his keyring out of his pocket and handed them to Abbey. "I think I have a tire iron and a jack in the trunk, if you need it. Good luck with it."

He gave her a friendly pat on the shoulder as he turned away from the exposed engine to the rest of the group. "Come one, boys. Let's get moving, we don't have all night." (speaking of which, exactly what time is it?) Eyeing the busdriver, he lowered his voice, then recommended, "I think we oughta try to find a back door to the place."

Lycan 01
2008-12-04, 09:03 PM
((9:15 PM. Skies are clear, moon is almost full. Streets are empty, save the bus driver. Most of the stores and stuff are probably closed, too... I think thats about all the info ya'll need for now. :smallsmile:))

Zanzabarb
2008-12-07, 10:30 AM
"We thought we'd do more good waiting at the cars rather than tucked up in that hotel room and yeah, I *think* I can fix it. I work mainly on machines that fly, but I'm pretty handy with a wrench," She says when she takes the keys from him.

She takes out her mechanic's flashlight and begins to shimmy under the car to check the damage and begin to repair what she can.

Lycan 01
2008-12-08, 12:15 PM
You manage to fix the cut fuel line with some adhesive tape. Enough layers of that stuff, and you'll never have to worry about that thing coming loose again.

No luck on fuel, though. You're gonna need to siphon some gasoline, or find a station nearby. Good luck on finding one thats open, at least.

Kesnit
2008-12-08, 01:18 PM
Timothy

The young man looks around nerviously. Fuel, fuel... There has to be a way to make some fuel...

Chemistry:
[roll0] vs 50

Lycan 01
2008-12-08, 02:30 PM
((:smallconfused: :smalleek: You... you what? Erm... Lets see...))

Timothy realizes that something combustible must be used as fuel. Gasoline would be preferable. But maybe something else could be used... Perhaps a very high-proof alcohol, or even kerosean?

Kesnit
2008-12-12, 07:35 AM
Timothy

Timothy nods, as if having come to a conclusion. We might be able to use something else for fuel. Lamp oil, kerosene, or the like. Has anyone seen anything like that? Maybe at the general store, or in the lobby of the hotel?

Wiz
2008-12-12, 09:54 AM
Robert Kane

Kane looks around, "I thought some people were going to stay in the hotel room, and others were searching the town... why are we all just standing here?"

Vrek
2008-12-12, 07:16 PM
Edward Carnby, Plaza

"Were all standing here, Kane, because we aren't moving yet. Abbey and Ian thought it'd be better to stick around the cars. Frankly, I think it's a good idea." Edward said, nodding his head towards the already crippled cars.

"Cmon, let's get moving, well keep a look out for that stuff in the store, Timmy, if you think it'll work."

Daryk
2008-12-12, 07:34 PM

"I think you'd have more luck siphoning gas from one of the other cars. I think I've got a spare can in the trunk," Ian said.

Turning to Robert, he explained, "Abby and I were thinking if anything dire enough to warrant everyone retreating to the hotel were to happen, the hotel wouldn't be sufficient protection."