PDA

View Full Version : Dragonmarked Template

Silvarelion
2008-09-03, 04:55 PM
History:

Dragonmarked are chosen from the humanoid races to represent dragons in the mortal nations. They are bonded to a dragon, usually a great wrym, and, over time, gain some of the appearances and aspects of that dragon.

Dragonmarked usually act as liaisons, councillors, ambassadors, warriors and commanders, representing the views and interests of the dragon she is bonded to. In times of dire need, she can also be Marked to lead a country or nation in grave peril.

Dragonmarked Progression:

Level 1
Level 2 Keen sight
Level 3
Level 4 Resist +2
Level 5 Natural Armor +1
Level 6 Lowlight Vision
Level 7
Level 8
Level 9 Resist +4
Level 10 Blind sense Natural Armor +2 Supernatural 1
Level 11
Level 12
Level 13
Level 14 Darkvision Resist +6
Level 15 Natural Armor +3
Level 16
Level 17
Level 18 Blindsight
Level 19 Resist +8
Level 20 Natural Armor +4 Supernatural 2

Dragonmarked is a template that can be added to any humanoid, although it is usually limited to the “good” races (Elves, Gnomes, Halflings and Humans).

To become Dragonmarked, a creature must be chosen and bonded to a dragon of the same alignment and/or temperament.

As the Dragonmarked gains HD, she takes on some of the attributes and appearances of her patron dragon.

Keensight: At second level, and every fourth level after (6th, 10th, 14th, 18th) a Dragonmarked character gains a sense-based enhancement. Keensight allows a Dragonmarked to see half again as far as a normal base creature. As her eyesight becomes keener, her eyes taken on Draconic characteristics, becoming more and more like the eyes of her patron dragon. DC 30 Spot check to notice, with a +5 bonus with every new sight enhancement.

Lowlight Vision: At 6th level, she gains lowlight vision, allowing her to see twice as far in dim light. This bonus stacks with lowlight vision gained from other sources, such as the Elves racial ability, allowing an Elven Dragonmarked to see three times as far.

Blindsense: At 10th level, she gains Blindsense, as per the Monster Manual, to 30ft.

Darkvision: At 14th level, she gains Darkvision out to 30ft. This bonus stacks with Darkvision gained from other sources, such as the Dwarven racial ability.

Blindsight: At 18th level, she gains Blindsight, as per the Monster Manual, out to 30ft.

Energy Resistance: At 4th level, and every 5 levels after that, she gains +2 resistance to the energy type of her patron dragon (silver=cold, gold=fire, etc.) (+4 at 9, +6 at 14, +8 at 18)

Natural Armor: At 5th level, and every 5 levels thereafter, she gains a scale like pattern, imparting +1 natural armor (+2 at 10, +3 at 15, +4 at 20). DC 30 Spot check to notice the scales on her hands and face. +5 bonus for every increase in natural armor gained in this way.

Supernatural: At 10th and 20th levels, she is gains a supernatural ability, dependant on her patron dragon. DM’s discretion.

I was planning to use this as the main plot-hook in a new campaign, pretty much have the PC's become the representatives (or mercenaries) of a Dragon Council. This is my first attempt, so make sure to go extra hard on me!

Zeta Kai
2008-09-03, 05:45 PM
Well, first off, not bad for a first try.

Next, I'll say that this would probably have been better served as a base class. It has a wide array of abilities which rival class features in power. Think of it as a reworked Dragon Disciple.

Lastly, this template seriously needs a Level Adjustment, +1 most likely. It's just too power an addition to let it slide without any LA.

Lappy9000
2008-09-03, 05:52 PM
I'd suggest changing the name a bit, just to avoid confusion with Eberron.

Silvarelion
2008-09-03, 10:08 PM
I'd suggest changing the name a bit, just to avoid confusion with Eberron.

How about "The Summoned".

It has a wide array of abilities which rival class features in power. Think of it as a reworked Dragon Disciple.

My plan wasn't to actually have this as a base class, but as a template that all the PC's get right from level one. I was considering taking out the Supernatural abilities and at least most of the natural armor. Would this be enough, with just the sense enhancements, to set the PC's apart from most adventures?