PDA

View Full Version : Stuff to Buy... (Shadowrun 4e)

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-03, 09:12 PM
So, I'm very much a newbie when it comes to Shadowrun. One of my roomies here at the college plays it regularly on Tuesdays, and I decided to sit in a few weeks ago. Surprisingly, the GM asks me if I'd like to make a character. I explain that I know very little about the game (i.e., at the time, all I knew was that it was set in the future and used rather a lot of d6's). He said that it was fine, and helped me to build a character.

After a bit of explanation, I decided to build a human Face with Tailored Pheremones, some pistols, a motorcycle, a bunch of contacts, et cetera. The first adventure went fairly well, involving a Technomancer, a fly in a pizza box, the party troll getting shot at by the police, and blackmailing a woman who was running for governor.

Yesterday's game had us get hired by a megacorporation to steal a prototype plane from another megacorporation. The Hacker managed to get administrative rights on their computers, and put us into their database as new employees, with the Rigger scheduled to give the prototype plane a test flight.

So, after some deliberation, we decided that we could steal more than the prototype, and sell some of the other planes at the factory to the military. Well, we've been working on it, and when we resume next week, the rigger's going to try and steal as many as possible. He can control 15, but there are only 10 other planes at the factory.

Anyway, we told a military contact of ours that he could get some fighter planes on the sly for a very low cost, and we made quite a sweet deal with them. At bare minimum, we'll be getting several million Nuyen for the sale.

So, any suggestions for what I might buy with this money, once this is over?

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-05, 07:48 AM
Anyone?

A bit more on my character, if that helps...

Basically, my idea was, "If he gets into a situation where he has to whip out his gun, he's doing it wrong." Boar Berin (My character) uses words and guile to accomplish his missions.

The game's gonna be on Tuesday, and I'd really like to have an idea before the game begins.

BRC
2008-09-05, 07:58 AM
a couple MILLION nuyen.

Geeze, start with a battleship and work your way up, or maybe just EVERYTHING IN THE FRIGGEN BOOK.

The game just isn't built to handle those amounts of money.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-05, 08:13 AM
Well, it's apparently part of this big story arc thing, according to the GM.

As to how much we're actually getting, the planes that we're selling to the military are going for about a third their listed value, and we're trading one of them for a plane of a different type, along with a couple of railguns. Also, all the money from this is going to be split six ways.

only1doug
2008-09-05, 08:14 AM
I'd discuss this with the group, after you have the money (because its not guaranteed)

But it is a great idea (and similar to what our group did last time we did a run)

we were tasked with stealing a experimental chip from a manufacturer whose building was on an industrial estate. it was office/warehouse/manufacturign with research lab on-site.

prep wise we had complete floor plans and a few days.
we stole two articulate lorries (fully rigged) and faked a late night delivery to the industrial estate (after the majority of target staff had left).

our infiltration team (1 phys adept, 1 street sam) made short work of on-site security and we pulled up with the trucks. the rigger took over the building automated forklifts and emptied all their finished products + all their raw materials into our trucks, then we took the forklifts as well. all the office PCs, the entire R&D lab.... we only left stuff behind because a fast response security reaction team arrived and we thought we ought to go before their replacements could get to us.

we even took the best of the office chairs :p

Suggestions for what to spend on:
I'd suggest 70% be allocated to the rigger for better toys, these can keep you alive in future, if the rigger dies... well, the group bought the vehicles / drones not him, the next rigger won't have to sacrifice quite so much stats/skill for money.

your share: if you don't have any desires for specific items then go with realism, spend it on lifestyle options...
Better clothing, a nicer home (you can pre-pay for your luxury apartment) these are good things to spend your money on.

(stylish clothing can be well armoured, not wanting to shoot does not mean you shouldn't be prepared for someone to shoot you)

save some of your money for developing new contacts and improving existing ones- this is a roleplay component as well as financial, so you will need to tell the GM you want to try to do so.

These are the sorts of things a face character who isn't interested in shooting might spend his money on.

only1doug
2008-09-05, 08:17 AM
Well, it's apparently part of this big story arc thing, according to the GM.

As to how much we're actually getting, the planes that we're selling to the military are going for about a third their listed value, and we're trading one of them for a plane of a different type, along with a couple of railguns. Also, all the money from this is going to be split six ways.

ahh, you've already got rigger toys factored in.

then i'd stick with my other suggestion: Snazzy clothes, a nice pad and some good friends.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-05, 08:36 AM
Thanks. I think I'll go with that. Maybe increase the power of my pheremones as well...

One of the funny things about the rigger: he put together the Shadowrun equivalent of a Tachikoma from Ghost in the Shell.

Britter
2008-09-05, 08:50 AM
I ran a Shadowrun semi-sandbox campaign that spanned about 5 years of real time, during which power-creep and changing player interests eventually lead my guys into taking the vast amounts of wealth they had, and moving the type of thing they did away from the runner side of the street and more towards the Johnson/fixer side of the street. They esthablished runner hangouts, founded a small security company, worked their way into organizied crime, and similar things, essentially turning their wealth into ways to generate more wealth or influence.

If your GM is open to the idea, that sort of thing can make for some interesting game play. I enjoyed allowing my players to essentially convert game currency into limited plot control, though it had to be done carefully to avoid crossing the line away from direct personal danger and into "have the minions handle that". I understand that not all campaigns operate that way, so if it won't work in the game you are in, I say buy 1 of everything in the gear section and call it a day :)

comicshorse
2008-09-05, 10:34 AM
Buy fake I.D.'s ( yes I do mean more than one). I.D.'s that give your P.C. a reason to be in places Shadowrunners normally shouldn't be.

In our game the group set up their own Private Detective agency. A great cover for why your hanging around and asking all sorts of strange questions and a reasson you need a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon. Believe me that will get you out of all sorts of trouble. However make sure that I.D is bulletproof, the only thing worse than being arrested carrying a gun is being arrested carrying a gun and a fake I.D.

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-05, 10:46 AM
What books are you playing with?

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-05, 11:21 AM
Not sure - I don't have any of them, in any case.

The fake SINs idea is nice. I bought a couple of 'em during character creation, but you can never have enough, right? :smallbiggrin:

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-05, 11:25 AM
How realistic/cinematic is your game?

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-05, 11:40 AM
Well, this being the only Shadowrun I've played, I don't really have a baseline to compare it to, but I have a feeling it's more cinematic, because of these events:

1) The troll was fired on with a machine gun and survived.
2) The shaman fired a lightning bolt at someone through the peephole in his door.
3) The troll managed to leap over a twelve-foot-high wall with a minimal running start and an armored guy on his back.

See what I mean?

only1doug
2008-09-05, 01:32 PM
the spare SIN's are a great idea, if you have enough money set up an apartment linked to each SIN (or at least have 1-2 spare apartments that aren't associated with any of your normal SINs).

I know you said the character would view violence as the last resort but i'd still consider making sure you were prepared for it anyway.

Get the best guns available while you have money, then get custom made pistol grips. If you aren't already smart-linked you should seriously consider it.

APDS, lots and lots of APDS... because when it comes down to it, if you are down to the last resort, you don't want it to fail.

Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Knowsofts: when you really need some esoteric information, just slot in the appropriate chip.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-05, 03:03 PM
I know you said the character would view violence as the last resort but i'd still consider making sure you were prepared for it anyway.

Oh, I know. Paranoia is a necessary tool in Shadowrun. If your character doesn't bring a gun to the shower with him, he doesn't deserve to live.

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-05, 03:06 PM
Oh, I know. Paranoia is a necessary tool in Shadowrun. If your character doesn't bring a gun to the shower with him, he doesn't deserve to live.

If your character doesn't have the shower armored and with an escape hatch in it, plus the bathroom wired with explosives then he doesn't deserve to live. Keeping a gun with you at all times is just beginner level paranoia. :smallwink:

/Mostly joking. The simple fact is that if your enemies can trace you to your hideout then you have already ****ed up badly.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-05, 03:23 PM
Thanks, everyone. Anything else you guys might suggest?

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-05, 03:24 PM
Anything else you guys might suggest?

Lot's of things. Depends on what books your DM has access to though.

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-05, 03:47 PM
*Delta Grade Synaptic Boosters 3 - 2,400,000 nuyen
Delta Grade Orthoskin 3 - 900,000 nuyen
Delta Grade Damage Compensators - up to 1,800,000 nuyen

*DNA Masking, Reprint - 30,000 nuyen
DNA Masking, Genewipe - 45,000 nuyen

Delta Grade Nanohive R1 - 100,000 nuyen
Universal Nanite Hunters R6 - 15,000 nuyen

Delta Grade False Front R4, with mimic option - 580,000 nuyen

----
If you have access to Arsenal you can do more fun stuff but it really depends on what rules your DM is using.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-05, 05:16 PM
I just talked to my roommate, and he informed me that the GM has all the books. Thanks a lot, Emporer Tippy. You may or may not equal win, but you definitely don't equal lose.

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-05, 05:39 PM
Oh yeah, the things with *'s next to them in my last post are ones you should get before anything else.

The Synaptic Boosters because they are that good and the Reprint because you want an entirely new identity after stealing that much military hardware.

Now for other potentially fun stuff:

1. A Luftschiffbau Zeppelin LZ-2065 (Arsenal).
Get one of these and use it as a base of operations.

2. A helicopter for transport. Again, not for in combat transport or the like but just for regular travel.

comicshorse
2008-09-05, 08:38 PM
Your own street-gang.
That's only partially a joke if you live in the barrens then buying a street-gang is definitely worth it. ( BTW money is not always the best way, try buying them the guns they can't get from their local fixers, the geat only your contacts can supply)
As well as meaning you can par without getting your tyres ripped off, the local street-gang are ALWAYS around, you have just brought a security system that can't be hacked or by-passed. If any outsiders start checking out your place or asking about you in the neighbourhood, they WILL know about it.
Not to mention the advantages of having dozen of witnesses who will swear they were drinking with you when the armoured car got hit. Or who can provide look-outs when you are pulling your latest job. Or just having a spy network with there ears out there for you.
DON'T use them as muscle they will almost certainly be out of their league in any terouble you get into and getting them killed will lose you loyalty fast

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-05, 10:02 PM
Hmm, an Emblem helicopter (from Arsenal). With the right upgrades it can fly non-stop from Seattle to Tokyo. You might want to look into one if your group is interested in globe hopping. Or just wants better transportation than a car. And best of all it costs under a million nuyen.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-06, 02:03 PM
Thanks, Tippy. I'll be sure and look that up!

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-10, 12:42 PM
A brief update...

The plan went off without a hitch; we nabbed a total of fourteen planes (the one prototype, and thirteen others for the military base). After dividing up the loot, we each now have around 1.6 million nuyen.

Now we've got three months downtime for our characters to buy stuff.

Lochar
2008-09-10, 12:51 PM
First things first. Listen to Tippy and get the DNA Masking right now. Because you can't be too paranoid.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-10, 03:42 PM
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter."

Of course in this case, they most likely are out to get you. Go with DNA masking and see if you can't pick up half a dozen places to hide if anything goes pear-shaped. And getaway vehicles. Something fast. Maybe a helicopter of some sort?

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-10, 04:20 PM
Actually, after that latest stunt, we're living on the military base... we figured it'd be more secure than some house in the slums...

comicshorse
2008-09-11, 01:26 PM
Okay I'm sure I'm missing something here. Surely the military have noticed they've just lost a base ?

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-11, 01:39 PM
What? No, we're staying on the base with their permission. Heh, sorry. They're inviting us to stay at the base.

comicshorse
2008-09-11, 01:45 PM
Ah, that makes sense.
Sweep your quarters for bugs daily they're not letting you stay out of the goodness of their hearts.

mostlyharmful
2008-09-11, 01:52 PM
One of the first things my characters picks up is at least six fallback identities with full ID, at least a permenant lowlife level of upkeep. In different countries or at least cities. Always have multiple backi[s. While you're at it have at least twenty safehouse/caches of ID and backup gear in your standard city.

Then go all out on the Bioware, since it's inside you getting it nicked or hacked is very very tricky, to the point of already being carked.

Then buy insurance deals from deckers/mages/corps. Always have a Big Stomping Gorilla you can call in if needs be.

Samakain
2008-09-11, 04:34 PM
Ah, so your selling illegal fighter planes to the military after they have been stolen from corperate land?

chummer that makes you a loose end

a couple of million nuyen worth of loose end.

Good luck with that.

if you somehow manage to pull it off, and if no one jumps you for the cash. Crash Cart A grade med insurance. you'll need it, as you would have just made some very angry, powerful enemies.