PDA

View Full Version : Time and Anti-Magic Fields?

Kaihaku
2008-09-03, 10:38 PM
This comes out of a discussion in another topic.

On a more contemplative note and less...I can beat you, really, somehow...

How would Foresight interact with an AMF? If the caster is about to be plunged into an AMF, can it still send warnings about that anti-magiced future? Would it count as divining into an AMF?

It triggered a debate on whether or not an AMF counted as danger...which had an amusing conclusion but which wasn't really the question.

I was more wondering along the lines of would Foresight be able to read the future? Or would Foresight alert the caster with a "404 Error: Future Not Found" because it's scanning into a AMF?

I guess Psionics abilities would play into this more, if a character were to leap ahead a few rounds via Time Hop, how would that be impacted if someone threw up an NPF in the meanwhile? Would the character reappear the moment the NPF went up, would they reappear the number of rounds designated into the future but shunted out of the AoE of the NPF, would they reappear as normal, or would something weird happen like lost in time? I'd probably metagame decide based on the campaign and number of players affected...but what do you think the 'right' answer is?

Going back, can magical or psionic abilities that look into the future even function if the future they are looking into has an active AM or NP field respectively?

On the side, this reminds me of something else that I had been pondering some time ago... What happens to a character that steps onto a permanent teleportation circle that deposits them on another permanent teleportation circle that deposits them back on the first permanent teleportation circle... Given that it's instantaneous, would that character exist in both places or neither? Would they continue to age? If not, I guess that's what Scotty pulled to survive on that dyson sphere.

BobVosh
2008-09-04, 12:26 AM
I like the "lost in time and space" one, as that would make me pull out CoC D20...

However, I would say no, it doesn't count as "harm" or "danger." It is an inconvience, but neither harm nor danger.

As for the NPF I don't have the text in front of me but he acivated the power before the NPF field so there is no longer an active Psionic power in effect so nothing can be nullified. This is how I would rule, and quite possibly counter RAW. Particularly since I haven't really read psionics that much.

Schrödinger's cat for the third one. You both presume he is at both and niether. However he can decide to make will saves againist the teleport to stop teleporting.

*edit* I was thinking about the two teleporter things. Use the effect of blink, with the exception he blinks between two locations rather than 2 planes.

vegetalss4
2008-09-04, 02:45 AM
the foresight one i would rule that foresight would not give a warning.
the timehop one i would rule that he reapered whenever the antimagic field disapered. and the teleportation circle i would say something like this: congratulations youve just become a Vestige

Kaihaku
2008-09-04, 03:13 AM
For threat, it really depends on the circumstances though I agree that an AMF in and of itself isn't a threat... If you're using magic to survive in a hostile environment, like the elemental planes, an AMF would be a pretty major threat.

But, what I'm wondering is if it would it even detect any information from the future. An AMF doesn't just block spellcasting, it blocks most supernatural effects. If an AMF covered an entire room, you wouldn't be able to teleport or scry into that room. So, if an AMF "covers" the future, why would you be able to use a supernatural ability to determine that future?

An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it. Time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell’s duration.

I would count Foresight as 'cast into the area' of an AMF and thus negated.

Creation powers with instantaneous durations and calling powers are not affected by a null psionics field because the power itself is no longer in effect, only its result.

I guess that answers it though. Someone transported via a Time Hop would reappear as normal. Divination or the psionic equivalent, on the other hand, still requires supernatural energies, or whatever, to function.

hamishspence
2008-09-04, 07:42 AM
foresight's ability to alert you to a threat says nothing about what kind of threat it will be: it's described as a "sixth sense" Its not scanning anywhere, its giving you a boost to your defenses.

Since AMF is not something you can save against, foresight less little bearing on it. Also, unless you are a magical creature, it's not a threat, and even if you are, say, a ghost, it will suppress you rather than harm you. It it cannot be fairly called out as a threat. And once you are in, foresight spell is suppressed.

JackMage666
2008-09-04, 07:58 AM
I would totally rule that, in the Time Hop / Anti-magic Field or Null Psionics scenario, you are literally trapped in time until it's resolved. Meaning, in a permanent effect, you're trapped FOREVER!

Vestige? Yes please! Alternatively, awesome way to seal up a BBEG/Start a campaign with releasing one!

Storm Bringer
2008-09-04, 08:16 AM
I'd argue that the Foresight spell would not tell you about anything that happened in the AMF, but you would know that it is becuase a AMF is blocking the foresight, which might be useful infomation it and of itself.

so yhea, "404: future not found."