PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Prestidigitation

LibraryOgre
2008-09-04, 12:01 AM
Completely different from my question about combining Prestidigitation and Thievery.

Prestidigitation allows you to clean or soil something for 1 hour. What happens at the end of that hour? Is it just an illusion covering the dirt, or does it just mystically re-soil itself?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-04, 12:23 AM
Seems to be that the substance does get re-soiled.

I suppose you could think of this as an Illusion, or a temporary Transmutation (Transmute Dirt to Fabric), whichever you like better. I'm going with Transmutation, personally.

NecroRebel
2008-09-04, 12:24 AM
I would rule that it cleans or soils it for one hour; that is, dirt is scrubbed off or rubbed on for up to an hour. After the hour is up, more dirt can fall on or the dirt that was put on can be removed, but it won't just suddenly and randomly disappear.

Basically, I say it's like a magic sponge/mud bath.

Edit: Hmm... It's under the same line as coloring an object, though... So maybe that use works like dyeing it? I'm not sure now, as that would seem like more than just a minor inconvenience for opponents than the other uses. Maybe it's like rubbing colored charcoal over an object? Changes its color, but easy to wash off? That would fit alright, since it would be basically just soiling the object with a particular color of dust :smallconfused:

TheOOB
2008-09-04, 12:39 AM
I tend to follow the approach that the magic keeps it clean/dirty/dyed for an hour, but after that nothing stops the object from getting dirty/clean again (the color won't immediately go away, will fade and wash out easy.)

Colmarr
2008-09-04, 12:47 AM
I'm of the view that the dirt that was originally there comes back.

I'm largely of that view because of the ritual that WotC recently published (whose name escapes me) that keeps a person clean for its duration.

monty
2008-09-04, 10:03 AM
Well, the 3.5 version says that cleaning/soiling is permanent, so you could follow that ruling if you want.

Eldmor
2008-09-04, 10:58 AM
I'm of the view that the dirt that was originally there comes back.

I'm largely of that view because of the ritual that WotC recently published (whose name escapes me) that keeps a person clean for its duration.
Fastidiousness, 15gold material cost and keeps you and/or an ally within 2 squares completely clean for all possible reasons for 24 hours. Also cleans you upon start of the ritual duration. My Eladrin War Mage took it for flavor; need to stay clean while killing lower lifeforms!

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-04, 11:33 AM
Fastidiousness, 15gold material cost and keeps you and/or an ally within 2 squares completely clean for all possible reasons for 24 hours. Also cleans you upon start of the ritual duration. My Eladrin War Mage took it for flavor; need to stay clean while killing lower lifeforms!

Also useful if the party Halfling Wizard keeps using Prestidigitation to soil the haughty Eladrin's pants every hour :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2008-09-04, 11:38 AM
I figued that the difference was; ritual doesn't consume actions while active, whereas Prestidigition consumes minor actions. When you get dirty, quick Prestidigitation cleans you, with ritual, never have to worry about being dirty in the first place. Given rituals tend to be pricey, would not be that surprising.

Eldmor
2008-09-04, 12:17 PM
Also useful if the party Halfling Wizard keeps using Prestidigitation to soil the haughty Eladrin's pants every hour :smalltongue:

And to keep the Charisma Rogue from smelling like ale and vomit after a hard night of pubbing. :smalltongue:

LibraryOgre
2008-09-04, 12:33 PM
And to keep the Charisma Rogue from smelling like ale and vomit after a hard night of pubbing. :smalltongue:

Or forces the High Charisma Rogue to smell like ale and vomit after his clubbing kept you up all night.

Mando Knight
2008-09-04, 12:45 PM
I'd say that the cleaning/soiling is an actual cleaning/soiling, not just an illusion. It'll be clean/soiled for as long as it's under the effect of the spell, but after that, its cleanliness depends on what else happens.