New comic is up.

nowiwantmydmg
2008-09-04, 09:17 AM
Poor Daigo.

Worth the wait anyway.

Mortizal
2008-09-04, 09:19 AM
"Why do I have glass in my face?"

Oh, because my last post was deleted. Last time I give compliments.

The Voice of Mod: Forum policy is to delete posts that make any reference to "First post!" or such in their entirety, to discourage people from constantly refreshing the site. You can read more about this policy here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=22&a=26).

Metool2
Elan, bless him. So dedicated to the theatrics. XD I wonder though, did they get all the other soldiers that were there? They werent ALL on the island, were they?

Hokum
what does therkla mean with "no you dont understand i just want..."???

javcs
2008-09-04, 09:20 AM
I feel sorry for Daigo.

I think Therkla's about to get jumped from behind.

dish
2008-09-04, 09:21 AM
I echo the 'Poor Daigo'. Was Kabuta about to say his last name, though?)

Edit: No, Daigo was about to say his last name! Now we know it starts with 'Da'.

Excellent entrance, Elan.

Mauve Shirt
2008-09-04, 09:21 AM
Heehee. Poor Daigo.

Epinephrine
2008-09-04, 09:22 AM
Ah, dashing swordsmen. Open doors just won't do... I think I may have to play one of these some day.

Eran of Arcadia
2008-09-04, 09:23 AM
Well, there goes any question of his guilt, if he is going to leave witnesses like that.

dish
Elan, bless him. So dedicated to the theatrics. XD I wonder though, did they get all the other soldiers that were there? They werent ALL on the island, were they?

I think most of Hinjo's troops were on the other ships. There weren't that many of them around during the wedding scene/battle, were there?
(Edit: there were nine in comic 501 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html).)

blackspeeker
So close to that last name!

disorder
One letter at a time, Daigo's last name takes shape...

AtomicKitKat
Ahh. The old DR infinity/anything that is not glass. Poor Daigo. On the plus side, they probably just saved him from having to use his last name.

FatJose
2008-09-04, 09:24 AM
Well, at least as a comic-relief Daigo has a buffer against being slaughtered like a common NPC.

Requiem_Jeer
2008-09-04, 09:25 AM
Outstanding. I was just going into withdrawl. On that note, excellent entrance Elan.

Laurentio II
2008-09-04, 09:26 AM
One letter at a time, Daigo's last name takes shape...
So, he could be, by chance, Dagatakoniniugetsukomitamibarigushimateru?
Aaaand... how is that a crap word is to be censured with random signs, but she can freely speak about sodomizing ninjas with a short sword?

RMS Oceanic
2008-09-04, 09:27 AM
Daigo's certainly turning out to be a punching bag. :p

Assuming two level six martial characters and a Dashing Swordsman can take on two soldiers and an aristocrat, I think Kubota's time as a Daimyo is coming to an end. How Therkla reacts, however, will be critical.

Just watch, Kubota will turn out to be a sorceror or something.

shadowpriest
2008-09-04, 09:28 AM
and therein, fellow forumers, lies the opportunity to verify therkla's line after all.
will it be... KUBOTA'S?
DUN DUN DUUHHNN!!!

DoomITP
2008-09-04, 09:28 AM
Just when I needed a new strip. It came! Yay! I like how kabutoa's soldiers look

disorder
2008-09-04, 09:30 AM
Aaaand... how is that a crap word is to be censured with random signs, but she can freely speak about sodomizing ninjas with a short sword?
Well, are YOU going to tell her she can't?

Adventurer
2008-09-04, 09:31 AM
Poor Daigo, he's turning out to be a punchbag!

I LOLed with Elan's entrance:smallbiggrin:

Squirrel_Token
2008-09-04, 09:32 AM
Hmmm... seems awfully foolish of Kubota to actually show up in person. Doesn't he know you've gotta let the cronies handle things like this?

lord_khaine
im really looking forward to see how this turns out, though it does look at bit like a uneven fight at the moment.

Mortizal
I just realized: Daigo was about to use his last name to increase his their chances of survival. (He was saving saying it for an emergency)

SteveMB
2008-09-04, 09:34 AM
Hmmm... seems awfully foolish of Kubota to actually show up in person. Doesn't he know you've gotta let the cronies handle things like this?

Arrogance is always their downfall, isn't it? :smallwink:

NerfTW
2008-09-04, 09:35 AM
So, he could be, by chance, Dagatakoniniugetsukomitamibarigushimateru?

Because they were censored to make the rant humorous. There have been many penis and sex jokes in the strip.

RMS Oceanic
2008-09-04, 09:37 AM

True, and Kubota doesn't seem like the guy to make such a slip up, especially if he suspected Therkla's treachery. Either:

1. He has some back up plan.
2. He didn't expect Elan to turn up.

Deepkicker
2008-09-04, 09:37 AM
Great strip! Well worth the oddly long wait. I'm quite enjoying Daigo's misfortune. He'll have even more about encumbrance to tell his child.

Squirrel_Token
2008-09-04, 09:38 AM
Because they were censored to make the rant humorous. There have been many penis and sex jokes in the strip.

Hehe, Roy has boobies.

Alces
2008-09-04, 09:39 AM
Kubota's about to get his comeuppance - his going into "dastardly exposition" mode is a sure sign of just that. Notice how Xykon or Redcloak don't do this, and not even Nale does much explaining of exactly why he's doing this or that (except to Sabine when excusing his attempt on Haley, it seems)?

Just shows that Daimyo Kubota is a third-rate villain.

factotum
2008-09-04, 09:41 AM
Hope we stay on the ship next strip--would be irritating to head back to the island!

Yendor
2008-09-04, 09:43 AM
Ooh. Busted!

disorder
2008-09-04, 09:51 AM
It's kinda sweet the way Kazumi smiles at Elan's entrance. I was half expecting a horrified look -- "Weren't things bad enough without THAT idiot?"

Taekwondodo
2008-09-04, 09:56 AM
Loled at "Yeah? Did you have to go through half a year of hemmorrhoids to get them?" then triedto explain to someone who doesn't read the strip... hard. :smallconfused:

orange
2008-09-04, 09:58 AM
True, and Kubota doesn't seem like the guy to make such a slip up, especially if he suspected Therkla's treachery. Either:

It's a little bit of #2 and the fact that he was going for brownie points with the fleet. "Appearing" to save the bloodline makes him look innocent and might sway a few of Hinjo's political base to his side. People like leaders that can act (pun intended) ! He's just preparing his "coup d'état".

Grey Watcher
2008-09-04, 10:00 AM

Given what's been going on with Therkla and all, he probably figured that it was best to see to it, personally, that the job was done properly.

Mercenary Pen
2008-09-04, 10:02 AM
I reckon Daigo's gonna end up having quite a short second name, simply because they can't drag it out more than another two/three times or it'll get tired and boring.

Excellent pacing on this strip though, and yes, Elan is probably going to just go for Kubota, regardless of whether he admits to trying to kill Hinjo...

Come to think about it, stating his intent to kill Kato and the baby is probably enough pretext to take Kubota down- given the number of witnesses.

Scarblade
2008-09-04, 10:04 AM

He's doing it to look like he came to their rescue, by letting one of his gards hurt him, so it looks like he was trying to defend them but failed doing it.
A great way to raise his popularity and get more followers.

HOLEkevin
2008-09-04, 10:09 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love the new Elan!

Vulion
2008-09-04, 10:10 AM
Poor Daigo...he tries so hard, yet that damn door is always is his way.

HILARIOUS comic, Giant.

Estelindis
Poor Daigo... :smallsigh:

Good to see Elan still knows how to embody a trope! :smallbiggrin:

Xallace
Loved it.

I'm hoping Daigo gets his crowning moment at some point, though. Ending up the punching bad for every named and nameless NPC in the last twelve minutes really makes me feel bad for him.

Thant
2008-09-04, 10:15 AM
Finally, new comic is up!...and Daigo stays down:smallbiggrin: I expected at least 3 comics in 1 for waiting this long, but Elan saves the day as always. Ah well...

Aerysil
2008-09-04, 10:16 AM
aw, no leprachaun outfit?

warmachine
2008-09-04, 10:17 AM
Kubota heard the attack from another ship and vainly tried to defend Kazumi? That's so lame, no one's going to believe it. Of course, there's a difference between what someone believes and what they say they believe, especially in politics. That Kubota thinks he can get away with such lame stories means few nobles, if any, would care that Kubota murdered Daigo and the pregnant Kazumi. Daigo needs loyal agents and guards or he's just a sitting duck.

Promoting a commoner to the nobility might have encouraged other commoners to ally with Daigo and Kazumi but there's no sign of that. It seems Hinjo's promotion of a commoner has angered the nobility but achieved nothing. What was Hinjo thinking?

AWM
2008-09-04, 10:17 AM
Classic Elan moment

:elan:
"Fight fight fight the ninja villians!"

-awm

Felixaar
2008-09-04, 10:20 AM
ten bucks says Daigo's last name is Daigo.

EllysW
2008-09-04, 10:23 AM
Bless your heart, Giant, that's just what I needed this morning! Lovely slapstick timing with Daigo.

DBear
2008-09-04, 10:29 AM
Ok, so can we say yet that Therkla's not evil?
And insulting Kazumi, that's low...

Rad
2008-09-04, 10:30 AM
Poor Daigo... but great Elan! He really is genre-savy :smallbiggrin:

SPoD
2008-09-04, 10:31 AM
Kubota heard the attack from another ship and vainly tried to defend Kazumi? That's so lame, no one's going to believe it. Of course, there's a difference between what someone believes and what they say they believe, especially in politics. That Kubota thinks he can get away with such lame stories means few nobles, if any, would care that Kubota murdered Daigo and the pregnant Kazumi. Daigo needs loyal agents and guards or he's just a sitting duck.

I'd go a step further and say that the story isn't even MEANT to be believed. It's meant to be unable to be conclusively disproven, because he knows Hinjo is such a stickler for the rules.

Kubota is essentially signing his name to this execution and all-but-daring Hinjo to prove him responsible. If he were to get away with it, it would send a clear message to those other nobles that support Hinjo: "I can murder you with impunity. I am the real power in Azure City already, now just give me the formal title."

Promoting a commoner to the nobility might have encouraged other commoners to ally with Daigo and Kazumi but there's no sign of that. It seems Hinjo's promotion of a commoner has angered the nobility but achieved nothing. What was Hinjo thinking?

That he's a paladin. And paladins tend to assume that the Good Guys will win, because they always do. Except in politics.

Really, Hinjo not understanding political reality is par for the course. His naivete about what is needed to run his country is his main character flaw.

disorder
2008-09-04, 10:35 AM
Loved it.

I'm hoping Daigo gets his crowning moment at some point, though. Ending up the punching bad for every named and nameless NPC in the last twelve minutes really makes me feel bad for him.
He'll get his Crowning Moment of Awesome as a renowned architect: "Lord Kato, what first inspired your signature house-with-no-doors design?"

Koalita
2008-09-04, 10:56 AM
After reading 588 strips in 2 days, I have the feeling of... it going a bit slowish for my taste >_<
Oh well, at least I catch up :)

Victor Thorian
2008-09-04, 10:57 AM
The jig is up THE GIANT!
SURRENDER NOW!

bwahaha

Saph
2008-09-04, 10:59 AM

Yeah, it spoiled it for me a bit. I really like those two NPCs, so it's no fun to see Daigo wussified.

- Saph

Blaznak
2008-09-04, 11:00 AM
The dramatic entrance must be a feature of Elan's prestige class.

Traker
2008-09-04, 11:05 AM
He'll get his Crowning Moment of Awesome as a renowned architect: "Lord Kato, what first inspired your signature house-with-no-doors design?"

Mybe he will make slideing doors?:smallamused:

TerrickTerran
2008-09-04, 11:06 AM
Just what I needed today. Been a rough week and this brought a needed grin.:smallbiggrin: Go, go dashing swordsman.

Aahz
2008-09-04, 11:37 AM
Can somone sum up for me why Kubota wants to kill Daigo, Kazumi, and their child? I got lost somewhere along the way.

xelliea
2008-09-04, 11:40 AM
great strip

chibibar
2008-09-04, 11:40 AM

It is part of the Dashing Swordsman Feat :) I think Elan gets a bonus to that muahahahahha

Man, calling Kazumi names is a low blow. That guard needs a whoopin. And Poor Daigo, he doesn't seem to get a "break" but the bright side we know his last name starts with a "Da" woo! :)

hamishspence
2008-09-04, 11:42 AM
They are Hinjo's loyal (and medium level) subordinates: removing them makes Hinjo more vulnerable.

Zephra
2008-09-04, 11:43 AM
Can somone sum up for me why Kubota wants to kill Daigo, Kazumi, and their child? I got lost somewhere along the way.

Kubota wants to be king when hinjo dies. But he's not the only noble, and he's not in line for kingship. so, he has to kill all the other nobles and Hinjo before he'll be the 'heir' to the throne. their child and them pose a threat to his chances of ruling.

Ramien
2008-09-04, 11:44 AM

They were ordinary soldiers who were raised to the nobility by Hinjo. Kubota's not a big fan of Hinjo or of commoners who act 'above their station'.

And yes, poor, poor, Daigo.

hamishspence
2008-09-04, 11:45 AM
that's stretching it: most of the nobles aren't related either, its not a case of kill them all, its a case of kill Hinjo's allies, leaving him exposed.

Warren Dew
2008-09-04, 11:46 AM

The theory seems to be that none of the nobles supports Hinjo except for Daigo and Kazumi (whom Hinjo raised to nobility). Basically Daigo and Kazumi are pawns in the struggle between the nobility and Hinjo. Appointing them strengthened Hinjo's power; eliminating them would weaken him.

Tundar
2008-09-04, 11:48 AM
Elan just made my day - what a dashing entrance!

Selene
2008-09-04, 12:00 PM

Just a guess, but I think it's a Happy Feet reference.

From IMDB:

Mumble: [to the leopard seal] See you fatty!
[the Amigos suddenly stop walking and slowly turn towards Mumble]
Ramón: That's cool! "See you fatty!"
[Amigos laugh]

Ave
2008-09-04, 12:02 PM
Kubota had 2, but the second somehow vanished.
Surely didn't go behind Kazumi.

Mastikator
2008-09-04, 12:21 PM
I wonder how Therkla will weasle her way out of picking a side now, she's been doing that from like, the start!
Sneaky ninja....

Also:
"why do I have glass in my face" *lol'd*
Amazing strip.

SnowballMan
2008-09-04, 12:31 PM
At the end of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0586.html) strip Threrkla explains that Kubota was going to kill off the nobles that won't support him for ruler once Hinjo is dead.

No. Elan would never cheat on Haley like that.

AyuVince
2008-09-04, 12:34 PM
Excellent strip! I'm confident the Katos won't be harmed. Two warriors, a ninja and a Dashing Swordsman against two low-level samurai, an aristocrat and... how many Kubota ninjas are left? One? Oh well, Therkla's a ninja too, so technically there are two ninjas in this fight -> the Inverse Ninja Law won't apply here.

Adrilimos
2008-09-04, 12:34 PM
ten bucks says Daigo's last name is Daigo.

That would certainly be unexpected. And funny.

I wonder how Elan got around to the side of the ship like that without falling into the water. Can he direct himself while swinging on a rope that well? :smallsmile:

Kato
2008-09-04, 12:39 PM
Yay, new comic's up ^^
Finally we know another letter of Daigo's last name... but he probably should stop using it, he gets beaten whenever he tries ^^*** Aw, poor man...

Alo, Elan's hilarious as always... and... I wouldn't have thought Kubota'd pull such a cheap trick. Cheap meaning everybody(!) will realize it.

warmachine
2008-09-04, 12:46 PM
Kubota is essentially signing his name to this execution and all-but-daring Hinjo to prove him responsible. If he were to get away with it, it would send a clear message to those other nobles that support Hinjo: "I can murder you with impunity. I am the real power in Azure City already, now just give me the formal title."

You are a natural politician.

SteveMB
2008-09-04, 01:01 PM

Hmmm... presumably Qarr reported in to him, and he set the ninja assassins in motion. He might have expected Therkla to show up (especially if Qarr suggested the possibility), and figured that he'd need to deal with her personally if she was indeed turning against him.

SteveMB
2008-09-04, 01:04 PM
No. Elan would never cheat on Haley like that.

By now, I should know better than to read these forums while drinking coffee....

Linkavitch
2008-09-04, 01:07 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! New comic! I thought it would never get here! Great one! Love the bodyguard saying "You got it, boss", just like he would say to, like, Al Capone! And now we no the first two letters to Daigo's name! D-A. And I thought Elan wold have to crash dramatically through the window at some point, so that didn't really surprise me, though his reason's were a bit skewed. Anyway, AWSOME!!

Solara
2008-09-04, 01:08 PM
Kubota's about to get his comeuppance - his going into "dastardly exposition" mode is a sure sign of just that. Notice how Xykon or Redcloak don't do this, and not even Nale does much explaining of exactly why he's doing this or that (except to Sabine when excusing his attempt on Haley, it seems)?

Just shows that Daimyo Kubota is a third-rate villain.

He is not a third-rate villain, just a very traditional one from a very traditional society. He explains every detail of his evil plot for the same reason that Elan crashes through windows.

edit: oh yes, and all of a sudden I have a very bad feeling about this Therkla situation. She just wants to what?

I want her to be a good guy (or at least on the side of the good guys) soooo badly but I have a feeling the Giant's just messing with us... :smallfrown:

disorder
2008-09-04, 01:08 PM
I wonder how Therkla will weasle her way out of picking a side now, she's been doing that from like, the start!
Sneaky ninja....

Weaseling out of things is important. It's what separates us from the animals -- except for the weasel.

Sir_Norbert
2008-09-04, 01:39 PM
edit: oh yes, and all of a sudden I have a very bad feeling about this Therkla situation. She just wants to what?
To convince Kubota she's still on his side, all the better to treacherously stab him in the back. I thought that was pretty clear, myself....

innk
2008-09-04, 01:44 PM
I thought we´d have something.. better, after a whole week without updates honestly, like the big devil getting punched down or something..

But oh well..

Daigo sucks anyway :P

disorder
2008-09-04, 01:46 PM
I thought we´d have something.. better, after a whole week without updates honestly, like the big devil getting punched down or something..

But oh well..
Griping about the schedule will earn you no respect around here.

Axl_Rose
2008-09-04, 02:06 PM
Daigo: (weakly) "Why do I have glass in my face?"

hahahaha, that was a fantastic punch line, one of the best in a long while I would say.

Nevitan
2008-09-04, 02:14 PM
oh man, that was great as always Giant,
thanks for the great comic
another one of my generic and supportive comment.
:smallsmile:

krossbow
2008-09-04, 02:16 PM
i have to agree; "why do i have glass in my face?" is by far the best punchline in the past few comics :smallbiggrin:

Hopeless
2008-09-04, 02:21 PM

Primarily because he's the bad guy, secondary because he's of the school of twirling moustaches and maniacal villainous laughter.

Great Elan by the way, singlehandedly making bards look much better since 3.0 or the pre-Order of the stick era!

Prince_Rohan
2008-09-04, 02:22 PM
You know this strip is created in America...No respect for Fathers.

Otherwise, great strip. Can't wait to see Kazumi needs to get a little pay back for the 'Fatty' comment. There is forthcoming wrath to be had.

Seriously, though how in a town run by Paladins do you get a noble like Kubota? He's so far in the Evil alignment catagory he makes Belkar look good.

Lee
2008-09-04, 02:30 PM
:O fatty :/

Elan ftw :)

Anywayy, hopefully Kubota will get caught or something in some way now :P

Nevitan
2008-09-04, 02:30 PM

I believe it is to keep them from being in the running for ruler of the azurites.
although I may be wrong.
scratch that, see two posts down.

Manoftyr
2008-09-04, 02:34 PM
I'd go a step further and say that the story isn't even MEANT to be believed. It's meant to be unable to be conclusively disproven, because he knows Hinjo is such a stickler for the rules.

That he's a paladin. And paladins tend to assume that the Good Guys will win, because they always do. Except in politics.

Really, Hinjo not understanding political reality is par for the course. His naivete about what is needed to run his country is his main character flaw.

Exactly what I think Spod, and that's also why I think that somehow or another this arc is leading towards Kubota seizing power of the fleet from Hinjo somehow, it's been shown before that the other nobles don't really like Hinjo too much, couple that with his recent promotion of two commoners to noble status...and Kubota may have more allies then we're presently aware of.

factotum
2008-09-04, 02:35 PM
I believe it is to keep them from being in the running for ruler of the azurites.
although I may be wrong.

They're just nobles--they're not in the running for that. Kubota wants to kill them because they're commoners who have been raised to the nobility, and by appearing to have tried to save their lives, he can gain a lot of reputation among the populace which will help in his attempt to become Lord after Hinjo's demise.

maxon
2008-09-04, 02:45 PM
All a bit worrying though I'm sure everything's going to be ok because

I just can't see The Giant letting a pregnant Kazumi get hurt - Kazumi doing the hurting, yes, as we've already seen, but not the other way around.

maxon reflects and remembers for a moment: My Hemmorrhoids, let me show you them - tee hee hee. Go on, Kazumi, show them what it's like.

David Argall
2008-09-04, 02:55 PM
I get the impression that if I analysed this really closely, it would fall apart into nonsense, which sounds like a good reason not to analyse this closely. Indeed, this seems a likely winner of at least best of 5.

Mybe he will make slideing doors?:smallamused:
You are aware of the tendency of comedy sliding doors to slide shut or open when you are not watching?

Can somone sum up for me why Kubota wants to kill Daigo, Kazumi, and their child?
a-The plot requires that Kubota be provable guilty of a crime, and House Kato are good targets of his evil.
b-They are supporters of Hinjo, people he wants to get rid of anyway.
c-They are commoners recently raised to nobility, which means most of the other nobles have at least some hostility towards them and won't be horrified by their deaths. At the same time, they are now nobles and that tells the other nobles they are not safe if they do things Kubota doesn't like.

He is not a third-rate villain, just a very traditional one from a very traditional society. He explains every detail of his evil plot for the same reason that Elan crashes through windows.
But he is about to get his comeuppance. If just about any of the good guys in the room survive [and Hinjo survives the devil], Hinjo now has the evidence to arrest Kubota. The actual trial might still be dicy, but even getting him to trial would likely ruin Kubota's plans. Since Elan's survival is virtually certain, Kobota is likely to end up as sushi pretty soon.

all of a sudden I have a very bad feeling about this Therkla situation.
Now? Therkla has been in a potential die for love theme from the start of the fleet arc.

She just wants to what?
To have odd equal even. More precisely, have Elan and her honor. Now right now she could be babbling most anything. Right now, she wants to say she is still loyal to Kubota, if she can find some way to make that consistent to doing whatever Elan wants.

I want her to be a good guy (or at least on the side of the good guys) soooo badly but I have a feeling the Giant's just messing with us...
There are a variety of ways for Therkla's plot to continue. So you can hope, and fear.

Manoftyr
2008-09-04, 03:16 PM
Well as of now it appears that Kubota is about to get his comeuppance but I'm not entirely sure...I have a feeling that another shoe is about to drop that we, the readers that is, are not aware of...Kubota may have secret allies among the nobility, his attack now may be coinciding with a larger uprising that we're not aware of or really any other number of tricks he could have up his sleeve.

For whatever reason I don't see this ending as clear cut and dry as 'Hinjo arrests Kubota, he goes to jail, we never see him again', I have this inkling suspicion that Kubota may end up seizing power from Hinjo in some way, or even end up causing a civil war...although I doubt someone like him would act in such a rash manner unless victory was guaranteed I.E. almost all of the noble houses and their armies were supporting him, but he may.

ref
2008-09-04, 03:20 PM
Seriously, though how in a town run by Paladins do you get a noble like Kubota? He's so far in the Evil alignment catagory he makes Belkar look good.

He's so far in the Evil alignment that he's turned around and come back in the Good alignment. And yes, that makes no sense.

disorder
2008-09-04, 04:18 PM
Well, because Azure City wasn't run by paladins. It was the home town of the Sapphire Guard, but they didn't rule the place. (At least, not since the days of Lord Soon.) It was run by whichever noble house could outscheme the others and hold onto power.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-04, 04:45 PM
Whee a comic! Elan was awesome in it :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2008-09-04, 04:50 PM
Well, because Azure City wasn't run by paladins. It was the home town of the Sapphire Guard, but they didn't rule the place. (At least, not since the days of Lord Soon.) It was run by whichever noble house could outscheme the others and hold onto power.

And, more recently, that fellow was the head of the Paladins.

Shojo ruled the city, the noble houses, and the paladins.

Not bad for a guy in an NPC class.

Orestes
2008-09-04, 04:55 PM
Elan Rules!!!!!!!!
"That's why I had to go around" damm, that's so good. I can't stop laughing.
And at last, Kubota is exposed!!!!!!
Great strip

Narses
2008-09-04, 05:03 PM

Otherwise, great strip. Can't wait to see Kazumi needs to get a little pay back for the 'Fatty' comment. There is forthcoming wrath to be had.

Nobody makes Belkar look good.

Occasional Sage
2008-09-04, 05:10 PM
Two things are confusing me, which ya'll can hopefully clear up.

First, regarding Kubota: how is there now any more actual evidence to convict him with? *WE* hear his speech as taking credit for this, but all his words strictly say is that he wants to profit from the events, not that he caused them.

Second, regarding continuity: here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0586.html) we see Kubota's ninjas through the windows; they appear to be walking down a hall. Today and in the previous update, those same windows look out the side of the ship (as evidenced by the addition of water, which was not present behind the ninjas). Was the ship cut in half when I wasn't looking?

chiasaur11
2008-09-04, 05:11 PM
Nobody makes Belkar look good.

Are you kidding?
He's still below the love child of Cruella DeVille and Sauron on the evil scale.

Give him a few months.

Bison
2008-09-04, 05:20 PM
Second, regarding continuity: here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0586.html) we see Kubota's ninjas through the windows; they appear to be walking down a hall. Today and in the previous update, those same windows look out the side of the ship (as evidenced by the addition of water, which was not present behind the ninjas). Was the ship cut in half when I wasn't looking?

I had assumed there is just a small walkway between the window and the edge of the ship (sorry, I dont know the nautical terms for these things)

RMS Oceanic
2008-09-04, 05:24 PM
Two things are confusing me, which ya'll can hopefully clear up.

First, regarding Hinjo: how is there now any more actual evidence to convict him with? *WE* hear his speech as taking credit for this, but all his words strictly say is that he wants to profit from the events, not that he caused them.

I assume you mean Kubota, and the actual evidence is witnesses in the form of Kazumi and Daigo, and how they can testify that Kubota walked in with two men he identified as his samurai, who proceeded to attack Kazumi.

I don't think that was a hall, but a walkway along the side of the ship.

mistformsquirrl
2008-09-04, 05:27 PM
I would laugh so hard if Daigo's last name is Daigoji.

It'd remind me of Martian Successor Nadeisico, which is an awesome awesome series (and hilarious).

"Or my name isn't Gai Daigoji!!"

"But it says here your name is Jiro Yamada..."

"That's just the boring name my parents gave me, Gai Daigoji is the name of my SOUL!"

>.>

And I've sidetracked myself already.

Occasional Sage
2008-09-04, 05:31 PM
I assume you mean Kubota, and the actual evidence is witnesses in the form of Kazumi and Daigo, and how they can testify that Kubota walked in with two men he identified as his samurai, who proceeded to attack Kazumi.

Oh. Yeah. :smallredface: I was focusing on the dialogue and totally missed that. And yes, I meant Kubota.

Is there a walkway on the side of a ship like that? I've never heard of such a thing!

Even so, where's the water in 586?

spectralphoenix
2008-09-04, 05:34 PM

According to #586 (http://http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0586.html), he's killing them in order to "maximize his chances of winning the council vote." Presumably, this means that all the nobles vote on the next ruler after Hinjo dies without an heir. Kazumi and Daigo would never vote for him and have no guards or other defenses like more entrenched nobles probably have. Judging from Shojo's predicament, assassination is more or less accepted among the non-paladin Azurite nobles provided they don't get caught. Knowing this, most of the established nobles probably have all kinds of defenses as well as a private ship.

Given that there are probably a reduced number of nobles with the fleet anyway, knocking off House Kato makes sense for Kabuto.

RMS Oceanic
2008-09-04, 05:34 PM
Is there a walkway on the side of a ship like that? I've never heard of such a thing!

Not all of the ship is built right up to the hull. On the top deck, the superstructure is built with space so there is actually a deck to roam.

Good point. Maybe it's a different camera angle.

Bitzeralisis
2008-09-04, 05:35 PM
Dramatic entrances are necessary. :smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2008-09-04, 05:48 PM

Let's see, boats rock with the waves- that's a fundamental part of their being boats. Combine that with camera angle, and there's every reason why the water would appear in one shot and not the next.

Danukian
2008-09-04, 05:53 PM

The characters were in the superstructure, but in the center of the deck - there is a walkway on all sides of it, and depending on your angle of view, and the pitch and roll of the seas, you can't always see the water - even if you a a few feet from the edge of the deck.

Ceric
2008-09-04, 06:20 PM
Yaaay for dramatic entrances!

I notice that if Daigo hadn't closed the door in panel 6, he wouldn't have been knocked out again. :smallsmile:

Faramir
2008-09-04, 07:01 PM
"...it's an easy mistake to make." Hilarious.

The theory seems to be that none of the nobles supports Hinjo except for Daigo and Kazumi (whom Hinjo raised to nobility). Basically Daigo and Kazumi are pawns in the struggle between the nobility and Hinjo. Appointing them strengthened Hinjo's power; eliminating them would weaken him.

My take is that with Hinjo dead (which Kubota is doing his best to bring about) one of the nobles will have to assume power. Eliminating those nobles who would oppose Kubota's rise to power is a logical move for someone with no respect for sentient life.

Alaska Fan
2008-09-04, 07:41 PM
Is The Giant coming down with the dreaded Robert Jordanitis?[1] Off the top of my head, I can identify the following plots/battles/groups:

A. O'Chul and Team Evil
B. Resurrecting Golem-Roy
C. Elan, Therkla and the Katos/Defeating Kubota
D. Haley, Belkar and the Guild of Thieves
E. Vaarsuvius, Durkon and the Devil
F. Belkar and the Mark of Justice

Oh yeah, almost forgot:

G. Defeating Xykon

Oh, and the over-arching plot:

H. Controlling the Snarl

A consequence of Robert Jordanitis is that the proliferation of subplots causes advancement of everything to slow to a crawl. Remember when the Demon Cockroaches counted nine (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0548.html) sides?

I have very confidence in The Giant, but I also remember the torture of Crossroads of Twilight. I'm just saying...

[1] The endless proliferation of subplots, sub-characters, sub-subplots, sub-sub-characters, etc.; see The Wheel of Time series.

spectralphoenix
2008-09-04, 07:53 PM
Is The Giant coming down with the dreaded Robert Jordanitis?[1] Off the top of my head, I can identify the following plots/battles/groups:

A. O'Chul and Team Evil
B. Resurrecting Golem-Roy
C. Elan, Therkla and the Katos/Defeating Kubota
D. Haley, Belkar and the Guild of Thieves
E. Vaarsuvius, Durkon and the Devil
F. Belkar and the Mark of Justice

Oh yeah, almost forgot:

G. Defeating Xykon

Oh, and the over-arching plot:

H. Controlling the Snarl

Those are more like individual events than actual overarching conflicts.

B and D come together, since the guild of thieves is pretty much the only reason Haley couldn't take back Roy's body and get him raised right now. F isn't really a full plot as much as a sideline - there hasn't been an actual strip devoted to it other than the visit with the Oracle.

E and C are the same thing - the devil is an agent of Kabuto. And it's probably going to bite the dust in another strip or two anyway. It's not a recurring character.

G and H are also the same thing. Without Xykon, there is no threat to the Snarl. A is part of that too since Xykon is Team Evil, and O'chuul is there when we cutaway to Team Evil.

So there's really only three conflicts. And I think the "nine sides" thing was a throwaway joke.

LuisDantas
2008-09-04, 08:04 PM

Yes, it is:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0471.html

Crinos
2008-09-04, 08:06 PM
Daigo's certainly turning out to be a punching bag. :p

Assuming two level six martial characters and a Dashing Swordsman can take on two soldiers and an aristocrat, I think Kubota's time as a Daimyo is coming to an end. How Therkla reacts, however, will be critical.

Just watch, Kubota will turn out to be a sorceror or something.
I'm personally betting on him being a transformed monster like an Ogre Mage or Rakshasha.

Occasional Sage
2008-09-04, 08:10 PM
Let's see, boats rock with the waves- that's a fundamental part of their being boats. Combine that with camera angle, and there's every reason why the water would appear in one shot and not the next.

Sure. Except that in the last two pages, the water has been static; it doesn't change heights, much less disappear entirely. Waves make sense, but not in context.

Derivious
2008-09-04, 08:19 PM
Awesome comic, but I feel it would've been better if the funny final panel was Kubota saying "Oh crap" in a funny way rather than taking Elan's dramatic steam away.

LuisDantas
2008-09-04, 08:21 PM

Azure City was not run by Paladins. Shojo was not a Paladin. Nobility was apparently hereditary in that city.

LuisDantas
2008-09-04, 08:25 PM
They're just nobles--they're not in the running for that. Kubota wants to kill them because they're commoners who have been raised to the nobility, and by appearing to have tried to save their lives, he can gain a lot of reputation among the populace which will help in his attempt to become Lord after Hinjo's demise.

And at the same time, as already noted, he will gain respect among many members of the nobility who will know or assume (correctly) that it is just an act to cover up his true intent.

So very much like real-world politics, really - he is sending a clear yet very ambiguous message that will gather him the most support, fear and allies.

David Argall
2008-09-04, 08:29 PM
We now have confirmation of our date. Our girl gives us a figure of 6 months, making the date September or October. Since hemmorroids are more a feature of late pregnancy, it's possible the date is November or December.

Now we need to figure excuses for why Haley only seems to have left Azure City a month ago and is back about June. I suppose we can assume it took a month to organize the unity conference and its results. And maybe we can increase the travel time a little...

regarding continuity: here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0586.html) we see Kubota's ninjas through the windows; they appear to be walking down a hall. Today and in the previous update, those same windows look out the side of the ship (as evidenced by the addition of water, which was not present behind the ninjas). Was the ship cut in half when I wasn't looking?
The art "error" can be explained as a-too much trouble to put in the water for the first strip, and b-the ship was pitching at the time.

innk
2008-09-04, 08:43 PM
Griping about the schedule will earn you no respect around here.

Oh well, not that i really need any respect around here but what i gave was my personal and honest opinion, i really thought that all this time with no updates was because Rich was making/thinking in something really great.

If you dont think like this, its ok, its your opinion :)

brilliantlight
2008-09-04, 09:05 PM
Ok, so can we say yet that Therkla's not evil?

No, right now she is evil moving towards neutral. If she stays on this path she very well might wind up neutral but she isn't quite there yet.

brilliantlight
2008-09-04, 09:07 PM
Poor Daigo... but great Elan! He really is genre-savy :smallbiggrin:

Yes, that is one thing is good at. He knows his genres well.

Warren Dew
2008-09-04, 09:34 PM

Maybe an invisible ninja is blocking the waterline in the left most window the first time around?

To be honest, the way the bed keeps edging away from the crib bothers me more.

Zolem
2008-09-04, 11:06 PM
And once again Imunity - Glass comes into play. If Elan were wever transported to ERfworld, he'd be invincable against tchatchkies, a heavy calvery unit made of glass.

Liwen
2008-09-04, 11:15 PM
I can see this happening near the end of this arc :

Kobuta : Your have all the rights to arrest me Hinjo, but know this, the few withnesses that you have gathered here, which are your friends, will never be sufficient to convince any jury of the lies you dare spread about me.

Hinjo : How about Divine jury?

*casts detect evil*

Hinjo : There, guilty you are.

*Execute with Katana*
**Hinjo's crowning moment of awesome**

Lord Seth
2008-09-04, 11:31 PM
I find Therkla's "No, you don't understand. I just want-" line to be suspicious.

Crinos
2008-09-04, 11:57 PM

Kobuta : Your have all the rights to arrest me Hinjo, but know this, the few withnesses that you have gathered here, which are your friends, will never be sufficient to convince any jury of the lies you dare spread about me.

*casts detect evil*

*Execute with Katana*

I'm honestly surprised they didn't use Detect on Evil on Kobuta already.

Hithros
2008-09-05, 12:09 AM
Maybe he has a lead sheet too? Doubtful, but it could be a reason....

brionl
2008-09-05, 12:15 AM

*casts detect evil*

*Execute with Katana*

Miko's words to the contrary, merely being Evil is not a capital crime.

Borris
2008-09-05, 01:24 AM

*casts detect evil*

*Execute with Katana*
I doubt just having an evil alignment can be a crime in Azure City. Otherwise, assuming a standard D&D human population, more than 30% of the Azurites would be criminals. And Hinjo would be too lawful to execute Kubota without a trial unless he had to kill him in self-defence.

factotum
2008-09-05, 02:15 AM
Furthermore, Detect Evil only works for the Paladin casting it--it doesn't put a "Really evil, m'kay?" neon sign above Kubota's head, so if Hinjo used it, it would still essentially just be his word against Kubota's.

FujinAkari
2008-09-05, 02:21 AM
Miko's words to the contrary, merely being Evil is not a capital crime.

You'll notice that Miko never actually said anything to the contrary...

Eric
2008-09-05, 03:20 AM
Oh well, not that i really need any respect around here but what i gave was my personal and honest opinion, i really thought that all this time with no updates was because Rich was making/thinking in something really great.

And I could give my honest opinion on the price of oil on here.

It would BE my honest opinion, but why the heck would I make it?

If you don't need respect, and you don't have respect, your wishes and opinions will be ignored. So why post anything here at all?

Eric
2008-09-05, 03:22 AM

Yes, but according to Miko you don't have to detect as evil to be evil and ripe for a killing.

All you have to do is not obey her.

Danukian
2008-09-05, 05:12 AM

And here I thought it was because of the holiday, and perhaps The Giant had a Life that took precedence over updating a FREE webcomic for a few days...

Estelindis
2008-09-05, 05:23 AM

*casts detect evil*

*Execute with Katana*
More like Hinjo's crowning moment of Miko... :smalleek:

LuisDantas
2008-09-05, 05:35 AM
Yes, but according to Miko you don't have to detect as evil to be evil and ripe for a killing.

All you have to do is not obey her.

And that is the main reason why she lost palatinhood.

banjo1985
2008-09-05, 05:45 AM
Heh, excellent stuff, trust Elan to absolutely require a dramatic entrance. :smallbiggrin:

Liwen
2008-09-05, 06:35 AM
Now I'm picturing this :

Hinjo kills Kubota after detecting his evil alignement, lose his paladin powers.

Hinjo: Awww come on! I just killed a pitlord working for him just to enact this scene! Give me a break...

Gods return his powers.

Gods : Mhhh 'kay. But THIS time only.

luxgladius
2008-09-05, 07:40 AM

Well, she kind of implied it in the last panel of this comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0228.html

Fingolfin
2008-09-05, 08:57 AM
Haha, now that's what i call a dramatic entrance :smallbiggrin:

Very amusing comic. :smallsmile:

Zolem
2008-09-05, 10:21 AM
I doubt just having an evil alignment can be a crime in Azure City. Otherwise, assuming a standard D&D human population, more than 30% of the Azurites would be criminals. And Hinjo would be too lawful to execute Kubota without a trial unless he had to kill him in self-defence.

Yeah, a tavernowner who pricgouges is evil, but he wouldn't be executed for it. I guy who takes pleasure in seeing criminals hanged is evil, as he enjoys torment, but he never inflicts it himself and hasn't commited any crime. Evil does NOT mean that you are automaticly a criminal/villain/psycho ect. but that you enjoy stuff at other peoples expense, and only at other people's expense.

Traker
2008-09-05, 12:36 PM

it is becouse Kabota didn't think that Hinjo should have made them nobile.

Paladin's_Wrath
2008-09-05, 02:19 PM
Well, Elan doesn't take damage from broken glass, so hey why shouldn't he? :smallbiggrin:

ObadiahtheSlim
2008-09-05, 02:22 PM

Presumably, they have the popular support of the people. Since they served in the military during the fall of Azure City, they could be able to pull support from the houses to be named the ruler as they represent selfless sacrifice. Hinjo's supporters would certainly vote for them and other houses may support them as well.

Edit: I wonder if a dramatic entrance gives him a bonus to something like initiative.

David Argall
2008-09-05, 02:23 PM
Now I'm picturing this :

Hinjo kills Kubota after detecting his evil alignement, lose his paladin powers.

Hinjo: Awww come on! I just killed a pitlord working for him just to enact this scene! Give me a break...

Gods return his powers.

Gods : Mhhh 'kay. But THIS time only.

It don't work that way. A mere finding of evil is not grounds for killing and Hinjo would fall for that, and would not regain paladin abilities for insisting he was right.
Note that this scene starts with Kubota's claim that nobody would believe him guilty. But as others have pointed out, just about everybody would deem him guilty. He is not going to get off on a claim the evidence was weak or biased. There is thus no need to simply stab him. He needs to be held for trial.

Danukian
2008-09-05, 03:07 PM
Well, Kubota has already stated that the majority of the Nobel Houses are on his side, it strongly points to a lot of corruption within the government (as does a head of state that has to pretend to be senile to avoid assassination), so the word of a Ninja, two obviously biased Nobles, and a Foreigner previously charged with "Criminal Infraction against Universal Existence" might not be enough evidence to see Kubota convicted.

nathanbrazil
2008-09-05, 03:08 PM
YEA! Kick some butt, take some names, and advance the plot! This is the reason I read OOTS! Giant RULES!

ff7hero
2008-09-05, 05:40 PM
Edit: I wonder if a dramatic entrance gives him a bonus to something like initiative.

I'm thinking the benefit would be akin to acting in a surprise round. When your turn comes up in initiative, you can move and also take your standard action. Foes would be flat-footed against you until they acted unless they had made Spot checks and seen you prior to your dramatic entrance...

Sebastian
2008-09-05, 06:03 PM
But he is about to get his comeuppance. If just about any of the good guys in the room survive [and Hinjo survives the devil], Hinjo now has the evidence to arrest Kubota. The actual trial might still be dicy, but even getting him to trial would likely ruin Kubota's plans. Since Elan's survival is virtually certain, Kobota is likely to end up as sushi pretty soon.

Why? It is his word against their "I come to help them against the ninja and they assaulted me, I had to defend myself, and then this blonde fool jumped throught the closed window (even f the door was wide open, mind you) and wanted to arrest me, my guards can confirm my version if you ask them. And now they say I've sent the ninjas, which is both false and unprovable. You have nothing against me."

Sebastian
2008-09-05, 06:18 PM
I'm honestly surprised they didn't use Detect on Evil on Kobuta already.

And what that would have proved? that he is evil? I'm sure a lot of people ion former azure city were evil, but that doesn't mean they were guilty of something.

But on that note I could see Hinjo killing Kubota all the same, giving up on his paladin status for the good of his city.

That or Elan doing it

Elan: "yes, I can see why you think this plan of yours would have worked but i think you missed an important detail"

Kubota: "and that is?"

Elan: "I'm not Lawful." *stab*

Or something like it.

Danukian
2008-09-05, 06:28 PM
I kinda don't buy Elan committing cold blooded murder - he's probably the only member of the Oots that I couldn't buy committing strait up murder.

Ted The Bug
2008-09-05, 06:37 PM
I echo the 'Poor Daigo'. Was Kabuta about to say his last name, though?)

Edit: No, Daigo was about to say his last name! Now we know it starts with 'Da'.

Excellent entrance, Elan.

The "D" beginning was also mentioned aqui. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html) With every mention, they could ad one more letter, for some kind of running gag.

KilltheToy
2008-09-05, 07:01 PM
Heh. I like how Katzumi is the only one who isn't completly shocked by Elan jumping through the window. I guess living with him for at least a year would do that to you.

Also, has anybody else noticed that Kubota and his people (the two samurai and Therkla) are wearing purple with black, bt the ninjas are wearing dark blue and light blue. I taking that as meaning Kubota has teamed up with at least one other noble house that wants House Kato dead. It could be that it's House Kato vs. Everyone else :smallfrown:. Which sucks, since all the other houses appear to have their own private armies.

Red XIV
2008-09-05, 07:19 PM
It's kinda sweet the way Kazumi smiles at Elan's entrance. I was half expecting a horrified look -- "Weren't things bad enough without THAT idiot?"
He's a moron, but he's also a quasi-competent fighter due to his Dashing Swordsman class. Kazumi and Daigo need all the help they can get right now.

Except for one thing: I would presume Kubota is expecting the giant devil to kill Hinjo, along with a bunch of his most loyal supporters who are with him on the island.

Furthermore, Detect Evil only works for the Paladin casting it--it doesn't put a "Really evil, m'kay?" neon sign above Kubota's head, so if Hinjo used it, it would still essentially just be his word against Kubota's.
Yes, but as a paladin, Hinjo's word is pretty much unquestionable. Paladins are incapable of lying. Of course, simply having an Evil alignment is unlikely to be a crime under Azure City law (if it were, a city full of paladins probably wouldn't have evil nobles in the first place), so that does a rather limited amount of good.

Well, Kubota has already stated that the majority of the Nobel Houses are on his side, it strongly points to a lot of corruption within the government (as does a head of state that has to pretend to be senile to avoid assassination), so the word of a Ninja, two obviously biased Nobles, and a Foreigner previously charged with "Criminal Infraction against Universal Existence" might not be enough evidence to see Kubota convicted.
It's unlikely that the nobles themselves get run the trials. They presumably have judges for that. Also, it's unlikely that Elan's previous charges are on the record anywhere. That was a trial under the auspices of the Sapphire Guard, which virtually everyone who's not a member doesn't even know exists.

David Argall
2008-09-05, 07:23 PM
Why? It is his word against their "I come to help them against the ninja and they assaulted me, I had to defend myself, and then this blonde fool jumped throught the closed window (even f the door was wide open, mind you) and wanted to arrest me, my guards can confirm my version if you ask them. And now they say I've sent the ninjas, which is both false and unprovable. You have nothing against me."
And how believable is that defense?
Kubota is part of a culture that deems assassins a normal tool of business. The idea that he sent the ninjas would be viewed by the court as entirely a reasonable theory.
But his theory? He just happened to see the assassination attempt? on a different ship? And was able to get there in time to do any good? without anything like teleport? All to rescue people he is on record of opposing? It's a defense you believe only if you have to.
Then we have the Katos as witnesses, with our lady able to point to wounds done by Kubota weapons.
The dead ninjas may be valid witnesses too. The bodies could not be recovered in the case of the Hinjo assassination, but Speak with Dead seems quite possible here. Not to mention the ninjas can be shown to have been in Kubota's employee [See "wife and children].
Then there are the accidental witnesses. Maybe somebody saw Kubota leaving his ship or getting on the Kato ship too early to have witnessed the crime. Maybe... Kubota's tissue of lies can get torn apart very easily.
Oh yes, there are advantages to being honest. Hinjo is known to be truthful. What he says is clearly what he believes. He is viewed in court much like a traffic cop. He says you are guilty, then you are guilty until you are proven innocent. Kubota does not get this attitude. He may not be the worst liar among the nobles, but all are aware he will lie, and that his story can be completely false.

If the case reaches the courtroom, Kubota is looking at some open belly surgery.

Warren Dew
2008-09-05, 07:44 PM
Also, has anybody else noticed that Kubota and his people (the two samurai and Therkla) are wearing purple with black, bt the ninjas are wearing dark blue and light blue. I taking that as meaning Kubota has teamed up with at least one other noble house that wants House Kato dead.

I was assuming they were Kubota's ninjas, dressed in a different color to avoid being easily traceable to him, but you might be right.

Except for one thing: I would presume Kubota is expecting the giant devil to kill Hinjo, along with a bunch of his most loyal supporters who are with him on the island.

Good point. He was probably also expecting to kill both of the Katos, though, and I think that's unlikely for plot reasons. On the other hand, only the Katos heard his incriminating speech, so it will be his word against theirs; that could end up sounding like a noble house versus noble house spat without much credibility on either side. His biggest problem may be the ninja bodies, if he can't get rid of them.

Zolem
2008-09-05, 08:34 PM
Good point. He was probably also expecting to kill both of the Katos, though, and I think that's unlikely for plot reasons. On the other hand, only the Katos heard his incriminating speech, so it will be his word against theirs; that could end up sounding like a noble house versus noble house spat without much credibility on either side. His biggest problem may be the ninja bodies, if he can't get rid of them.

But Divination is easily foolable, and isn't admisable in strict courts of law, so Speak with Dead can be discounted. "I didn't hire them, they were just told by a rival that I was the hirer. Remember, they can only relate what they THINK they knew in life." "Oh yes, the words of a distressed pregnant woman of a noble house taht is known to opose me is easily seen as one hundered percent rational and not fuled by eratic emotion. I came to help and her grudge combined with her hormones and the heat of battle made her misinterperate my purpose for being there. As such, I am willing to not press assult charges as she was overly distressed at the time."

Liwen
2008-09-05, 09:26 PM
Zolem, you are just way to go at this. Good ahead and become a lawyer. When I'm done killing Kubota, I'll need good defense like this ^^

Blaznak
2008-09-05, 11:11 PM
DUH DUH DUH....
(That's my cyber-dramatic entrance, btw)

Yes, it is:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0471.html

Ah, good catch. It appears that once again the world tends to have a set of rules that work, regardless of the insanity around them :)

David Argall
2008-09-06, 01:42 AM
But Divination is easily foolable, and isn't admisable in strict courts of law,
It is not admissable in Cliffport courts of law. Azure City seems to be far more willing to accept magic evidence.

"I didn't hire them, they were just told by a rival that I was the hirer. Remember, they can only relate what they THINK they knew in life."
But this is all any witness can provide.

"Oh yes, the words of a distressed pregnant woman of a noble house taht is known to opose me is easily seen as one hundered percent rational and not fuled by eratic emotion. I came to help and her grudge combined with her hormones and the heat of battle made her misinterperate my purpose for being there. As such, I am willing to not press assult charges as she was overly distressed at the time."
Again, Kubota's story is believable only if you want to believe Kubota.

When the case comes down to "he said-she said", the court does not simply take each speaker as equally valuable. That is the default in the absence of other evidence. But there routinely is other evidence. The speaker can and is judged and his testimony discounted on that basis. When he has to "explain" a bunch of inconvenient facts, he is discounted yet more. Kubota is going down if he gets to court.

Going to plot level, we have another reason to assume such a defense by Kubota would just fail. It doesn't have a role for the party. The PCs are not a bunch of Perry Masons. Rather they are arresting officers who capture [well, usually kill, but...] the criminal and turn him over to the prosecutors. They are not the ones giving the courtroom arguments. That is reserved for NPCs. So the case just would not turn on courtroom heroics.
Now we might have a case where Kubota is arrested and then one of the Katos is kidnapped with a demand the other not testify. Then the party has a rescue mission. Or they might do some "investigating" [beating up some things in the process], but the arguments in court are NPC stuff and they won't be important.

factotum
2008-09-06, 01:44 AM
Yes, but as a paladin, Hinjo's word is pretty much unquestionable. Paladins are incapable of lying.

I somehow doubt that particular fact would hold much water with the other nobles--they'd just see an attempt by Hinjo to remove the most powerful opponent to his power.

innk
2008-09-06, 02:09 AM
And I could give my honest opinion on the price of oil on here.

It would BE my honest opinion, but why the heck would I make it?

If you don't need respect, and you don't have respect, your wishes and opinions will be ignored. So why post anything here at all?

Jesus man, people really get MAD around here if not all the opinions about the comic is "awesome!!" huh?

Look, someone already came saying the old stuff about hey its for free!

Funny stuff :P

Well, just to answer you, with respect since i never did it without it.

The oil thing i really missed, im not sure if i understand it, you know english is not my main language, as you can probably see already.

Why would you need to make it? Hell, i dont know, why do you need to make the others one then, like "awesome one" or anything? You dont actually need to make any, nobody needs. But hey, its a forum here, the point of this thing is to let people voice their opinions, and as far as i know its not, like, against the rules if one of those opinions isnt a "awesome thing" post. In fact, i just said i thought that the late was because Rich was doing like, a giant strip or anything like that man, i did not say that this one wasnt good or anything like that. But oh well, that doesnt matter at all.

And about the respect thing.
Well, im pretty sure i did not lack of respect in any of my posts since i joined this forum, on 04-19-2006. I dont know if this forum system has that thing to trace user posts and topics and stuff, but if it have you can check yourself :)
And about im not caring having respect from the others here, well, maybe i used/understood the word "respect" in some other way, i was referring to have respect for someone, like if i call you names, im lacking in respect with you.
I mean, im voicing my opinion because thats the purpose of this topic, this forum, all forums, but if someone disrespect me, i honestly wont care, i mean, come on, its internet, im too old already to care about this kind of stuff :P

I already said it, and will say again.
The purpose of this topic and forum and everything, as far as i know is to let people voice their opinions. And honestly, not that i gave a BAD opinion here, but im a industrial designer, when i make some project, and ask someone for their opinions, for me, having these people telling me their honest opinions is REALLY more important than a "great work great work!", i think, i THINK, that Rich himself thinks like this too. Thats usually how an artist or pretty much anyone who does anything and ask for opinions want.

Take it easy guys, nobody, at least me, is flaming the great author that Rich is, much less disrespecting him, or anyone here for that matters.

Brasswatchman
2008-09-06, 02:31 AM

Well, let's not go too far here. You did see his kilonazi rating, right? :D