View Full Version : Where's this flaming come from?

Rei_Jin
2006-05-22, 12:13 PM
I just wandered into the Comics forum for the first time in more than a month, and I've found a lot of mod work being done by The Giant himself against people flaming and trolling.

Where on earth did this come from? I thought that our community was generally fairly respectful of the rules of engagement here?

Is this kind of activity seeing an increase on the internet in general, or is it a deliberate thing against OoTS?

WampaX
2006-05-22, 12:23 PM
Its summer.

We've also attracted our fair share of good and decent posters, so its about time we got some ornery ones. Frankly, I'm surprised it took as long as it did, this being the internet and all. ;)

Rei_Jin
2006-05-22, 12:34 PM
Well, at least with the rules we have here they won't be around for too long.

It just makes me sad. I already have very little faith in humanity, and people like this just confirm my fears about the depravity that lurks within us as a race.

Its all so reminiscent of the spammer we had earlier this year.

Put them all in a rocket and fire them into the sun, I say. That'll fix the problem.

InaVegt
2006-05-22, 01:38 PM
The playground has suddenly turned into a warzone and no mod is doing anything about it? /me cries in a corner

PhoeKun
2006-05-22, 03:47 PM
I don't think it's fair to see one mod say "I'm not too concerned by this" and extrapolate "no mod is doing anything" from it.

Come out of your corner, Mr. Gezina. Things will be ok...

InaVegt
2006-05-22, 03:54 PM
I don't think it's fair to see one mod say "I'm not too concerned by this" and extrapolate "no mod is doing anything" from it.

Come out of your corner, Mr. Gezina. Things will be ok...
first: look at my gender
second: will do

PhoeKun
2006-05-22, 03:55 PM
First: I have no eyes.

Second: Oops.

Sneak
2006-05-22, 04:10 PM
Put them all in a rocket and fire them into the sun, I say. That'll fix the problem.

Get them out of the gene pool too. It's called natural selection.

EDIT: I can used tenses.

Midnight Son
2006-05-22, 05:39 PM
When I first started here, Mod action seemed to be once in a blue moon. Now I'm seeing Mod action almost every day. As much as I like this forum, I'm begining to think that it may not be worth it any more. All the fighting has made it harder for me to enjoy. I love the comic and will never stop reading as long as Rich keeps writing, but I'm afraid my days of posting here may be coming to an end. It will be a sad day for me if it comes to that, as I have found some people here who I genuinely consider friends.

Dr._Weird
2006-05-22, 05:50 PM
I agree with Dwarf, all the fighting here is not fun to read and makes the quality of the forum go down. I love this forum, the only one on the internet where you won't be flamed constantly, called a n00b, or see incredibly bigoted people running unchecked. But if that changes? I'm outta here.

Lilly
2006-05-22, 06:03 PM
I have a hypothesis, there are a lot of new members. I know, that isn't much of a hypothesis, but the new members come from other areas of the internet. Other areas where courtesy and community may not be the top priority. They come here, and possibly think "Hey this is just like my other area of the internet, and I can act however I want, I fart in the general direction of the rules!!!" And they can't, and mods have to do something about it. Therefore there is more mod activity.

The forum is experiencing growing pains, it will reach a state of equillibrum again sometime.

Dr._Weird
2006-05-22, 06:08 PM
I hope it does Lilly.

PS I just watched the first episode of Firefly, and now I get the reference! 8)

TinSoldier
2006-05-22, 06:08 PM
I know exactly where they came from -- it's linked in the #315 thread.

I've read their entire thread over there and it's -- interesting is probably the best word. If that's they way they want to act on the RPGHost forums then more power to 'em. It's the reason I don't join more Internet forums.

Midnight Son
2006-05-22, 06:54 PM
The Mod activity is a symptom, not the problem. I have absolutely no issues with the job the Mods are doing. For the most part, it is a thankless task(thank you) that requires too much of your time. I really do hope things manage to settle down soon. As it stands, I barely touch the Comics section. I usually regret it any time I do(like today).

Amotis
2006-05-22, 07:17 PM
Makes me with these forums were some sort of MMORPG and the vets here could deal some needed PvP justice. 8)

kriklaf
2006-05-22, 07:29 PM
As much as I like this forum, I'm begining to think that it may not be worth it any more. All the fighting has made it harder for me to enjoy. I love the comic and will never stop reading as long as Rich keeps writing, but I'm afraid my days of posting here may be coming to an end. It will be a sad day for me if it comes to that, as I have found some people here who I genuinely consider friends.

I understand what you mean, but if you've truly found friends here, then I'd suggest just avoiding the flamers. It really would be a shame to miss new ones just because of a few bad apples inciting riot. I've had to remind myself twice today that responding to some of the more volatile posts I've read will do nothing to help the situation. I think that if those of us who are content with the rules of the board here stop responding to these posts, it could go a long way towards eliminating the need for the daily mod activity. I hope so, anyway.

That said, I'm also mostly staying away from the daily comic thread these days. Not worth the rise in blood pressure. And mods--thanks for your hard work. We appreciate it.

Amotis
2006-05-22, 07:33 PM
I understand what you mean, but if you've truly found friends here, then I'd suggest just avoiding the flamers. It really would be a shame to miss new ones just because of a few bad apples inciting riot. I've had to remind myself twice today that responding to some of the more volatile posts I've read will do nothing to help the situation. I think that if those of us who are content with the rules of the board here stop responding to these posts, it could go a long way towards eliminating the need for the daily mod activity. I hope so, anyway.

That said, I'm also mostly staying away from the daily comic thread these days. Not worth the rise in blood pressure. And mods--thanks for your hard work. We appreciate it.

What she said. No really.
Many thanks to the mods. You guys rock.
These boards, and the people who frequent it, for the most part, are good people and fun to be around. I have fun here and I enjoy it here. So I'm staying and shoving the bad apples to the back of my mind. ;D It's not worth it to succumb to a few flaws.

(however, when random banter falls I will contact my 4chan contacts and the blood of many will run :-X)

Arian
2006-05-22, 07:53 PM
I PMed a mod earlier today in the hope of re-Arian-safe-ing a few threads that have made me sputteringly furious lately. But I'm thinking that a more effective strategy for my personal equilibrium is going to be choosing not to read those threads.

Of course, that may be just abandoning the field to the people who are trying to provoke acrimony, such that in the end they're the only people left *in* the threads in question.

But <shrug> in the final analysis, I can control my own behaviour, I can't control theirs.

Wukei
2006-05-22, 08:10 PM
I'm having a problem even stepping into comics right now. I know how you feel Arian. But I'm a bit worse, I'm confrontational. I usually catch myself before I press the "post" button, though.

Midnight Son
2006-05-22, 09:31 PM
I'm having a problem even stepping into comics right now. I know how you feel Arian. But I'm a bit worse, I'm confrontational. I usually catch myself before I press the "post" button, though.See, I'm mostly non-confrontational, but, recently, I have really had to fight the urge to out sword and start hacking away. There are few things that really drive me into a fury, but one of them was hit recently. I had to shut my computer down for an hour just to calm down.

And Kriklaf, you're right. If I leave the forum because of a few problems, the only person who truly loses is me(and maybe those who consider me a friend as well).

Gary_Howard
2006-05-23, 02:06 AM
I actually just did this today.. takes the stress off, and you have to laugh.. I mentioned to a friend that a certain poster had gotten me all riled up, and he said something like, "Yeah, that guy is all over the internet!"

What HE meant was that there's a guy like that for every forum, usually more.. but I took it to mean "that very same guy is all over the internet." And a google search of this poster's creative and original screen name reveals.. hilarious pictures of his singularly unattractive torso!

I don't really care what he says now. If I ever see that screen name again, all I'll be able to think about is that silly tattoo. And giggle. He's just a guy like everyone.

Ladoran
2006-05-23, 02:44 AM
I too wandered into the comics part of the forums by near coincidence. Haven't been in there for a while. But yeah it seems to be overrun by complainers. The other parts of the boards seem to be up to their usual high standard though and thank (g/m)od for that.

And I agree that these forums should be some kind o MMORPG, that way an 'ignore' would probably exist... *sigh*...

Oh yeah before I go. Good work by the moderators! :)

Murky_Pool
2006-05-23, 09:15 AM
just because of a few bad apples inciting riot.

Just to go off on a tangent. Isn't this the BEST phrase ever?

Can I drop it into my sig Kriklaf?

LostInBrittany
2006-05-23, 10:43 AM
In any cases, the trolls are seriously spoiling my enjoying of the forums... :( >:(

Personally, I vote for banning of the two trollest trolls. You know who.

Hawkeye
2006-05-23, 12:29 PM
In any cases, the trolls are seriously spoiling my enjoying of the forums... :( >:(

Couldn't agree with you more LiB.

Unfortunately we're not moderators, and so it's not in our hands what happens (if anything) to them. Hopefully it should all be over soon.

Mattaeu
2006-05-23, 07:30 PM
While I am agreeing with everything that is being said, I would ask the mods to take good consideration of the people rebutting the "trolls"; as per the rules, insults on their part shouldn't be allowed either.

So, I guess I'm saying, please be impartial when being a mod. I don't exactly think that's too much to ask...nor do i think you guys aren't already doing this.

Just a hopeful reminder. :)

Godhand
2006-05-24, 01:22 AM
While I am agreeing with everything that is being said, I would ask the mods to take good consideration of the people rebutting the "trolls"; as per the rules, insults on their part shouldn't be allowed either.

Agreed. *points to the 'no feeding the trolls' sign*. Heaven knows how many times I've said something stupid on the forum. (apologies to everyone and thanks to the mods, your dedication is the stuff of miracles)

It's just the end of semesters and finals have everyone bent out of shape. Plus I'm sure there are many of us young people going insane over silly crushes and all that. I say everyone whos ever posted in the GitP forums just step back, take a deep breath, and then be friends.

Gary_Howard
2006-05-24, 02:47 AM
It appears that the mods have some kind of.. what's the word.. it's like that thing you get more of with the green mushrooms.. oh, yeah, lives.

At least, that's what I kinda figured. I'm a little surprised at how long this has been going on - it seems like conversation's slowed down to a slow trickle.

Speaking of .. these.. lives... I should go to bed. Have to water the plants in the morning.

Thanks for doing your best, mods! Wherever you are :P

(I do mean it - occasionally I think, "shouldn't this be stopping?" but you know how it is.. it will.)

Jack Squat
2006-05-24, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure banning would be the best course of action. The way I see it, the two posters are trying to get banned to prove thier point. The mods proabably won't punish them unless they do something major.

I'll chime in with everyone else and praise the mods for thier volunteering to keep these board [somewhat] in order, so thank you for allowing these boards to be a refuge of sanity.

saraswati
2006-05-24, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure banning would be the best course of action. The way I see it, the two posters are trying to get banned to prove thier point. The mods proabably won't punish them unless they do something major.

I'll chime in with everyone else and praise the mods for thier volunteering to keep these board [somewhat] in order, so thank you for allowing these boards to be a refuge of sanity.

Hmm, I've been thinking about this alot Jacksquat, and I really agree with what you are saying, but I am still wondering about the banning.

At first I tried to post to the comic explaining what I thought was wrong with the current tone of the discussion. I know, it was probably self-deluding for me to think that it would help for me to do that. But, I was weak and got tempted. I just really wanted people to be more mature and discuss things rationally and openly. I know that this is an internet forum, and that I should expect certain things, no matter how hard the mods try to keep things civil.

But it was going so well there for, well for all the time that I had read the boards before this, that I got lured into a false sense of security :) And I mean that in a good way.

I realize now that ignoring them is the only way.

Unfortunately, I also think that no matter how much people spout about freedom and complain that the boards aren't open, the real problem is that the hostile atmosphere just shuts down any real conversation.

Sure we can all be mature individuals and igore them. But I'm not sure we can really talk until they go away.

That being said, I do also appreciate the mods and have no complaints about them. I'll probably just wait around until things change one way or another.

ed
2006-05-24, 02:48 PM
you know, i'm originally from RPGhost. i've spent a long time there and i know the folks you guys are talking about. i rather wish i could see the thread that caused all the furor in the first place.

i know, different forums have different standards. still, i'd be curious, if the thread hasn't been nuked.

ed

Krytha
2006-05-24, 02:55 PM
you know, i'm originally from RPGhost. i've spent a long time there and i know the folks you guys are talking about. i rather wish i could see the thread that caused all the furor in the first place.

i know, different forums have different standards. still, i'd be curious, if the thread hasn't been nuked.

ed

Well, I think its all pretty much moot by now. Rich went over to RPG, said his piece and I think things have mostly calmed down so there's no point in bringing things back up.

The thread you're looking for has been locked but it might still be floating around on page 2. Your comment about different forums and different standards is pretty much the whole deal. Some RPG people (yes we know) posted in a way that is not very common to these boards and elicited responses and things just went downhill from there.

Mouser
2006-05-24, 02:59 PM

<laughs and points>

:D

Perhaps that should be...

<points and laughs>

It's late in the day.

*shrug*

ed
2006-05-24, 02:59 PM
krytha:

o, believe me, i'm aware. i took a screen capture of rich's handle, cuz, you know, celebrity. that's just cool. :>

i thought for some reason the #315 thread was nuked but it appears i'm in error. thanks, i'll go take a peek. for a while, anyway--i'm probably gonna have to take a bathroom break somewhere in the middle... :>

btw, i do want to say this: giant's posts there were very cool, i thought.

ed

Corylus
2006-05-24, 03:05 PM
Some RPG people (yes we know) posted in a way that is not very common to these boards and elicited responses and things just went downhill from there.

And some of us posted perfectly civil responses that complied totally with the forum ettiquette here and yet were still unjustly maligned.

I'm still waiting for an apology...

<taps foot>

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 03:07 PM
I won't link them, but check the #315 thread, #316 thread, the Spoiler Warning: Advice on making OOTS better... thread, and the And now we see... thread. All locked but none dumped.

Just for reference. I wouldn't suggest rehashing much of it :-/.

Anyway, after the initial brouhaha calmed down I started to understand and enjoy some of the new posters better.

I'm also enjoying monitoring the GE&R thread, but I don't think I'll join just for one thread over there.

carmachu
2006-05-24, 03:11 PM
And some of us posted perfectly civil responses that complied totally with the forum ettiquette here and yet were still unjustly maligned.

<taps foot>

Or banning the fanboy offenders. Its only fair.....

molonel
2006-05-24, 03:14 PM
Or banning the fanboy offenders. Its only fair.....

Not gonna happen. Because, you know, they had just cause.

... ::)

Krytha
2006-05-24, 03:18 PM

<taps foot>
Actually, you did not comply with forum etiquette in your post. Interestingly enough, it was you who said you would apologize if you HAD broken forum code, so whoever you want to apologize to, now would be a good time. Or you could let it slide and we won't discuss this again since you RPG forum people profess to come in peace.

Additionally, in the chaos of yesterday, it's not unreasonable to think that new accounts popping up everywhere, all linked to the same issue, are originating from the same place. It is statistically improbable that all the lurkers who are adamant critics suddenly decide to come out and voice their opinions all at once. Even still, believing someone to be an alternate identity is hardly the gravest of slights - especially since you have great senses of humour.

molonel
2006-05-24, 03:25 PM
Additionally, in the chaos of yesterday, it's not unreasonable to think that new accounts popping up everywhere, all linked to the same issue, are originating from the same place. It is statistically improbable that all the lurkers who are adamant critics suddenly decide to come out and voice their opinions all at once. Even still, believing someone to be an alternate identity is hardly the gravest of slights - especially since you have great senses of humour.

That's funny. I seem to also recall a bunch of people registering for the first time to tell the Giant how much they liked the comic, and not to let the negative comments get him down.

But of course, those were all new, individual posters, right?

The mods here can track our IP addresses by location, down to the city if they want to follow it that far. So let's can the hookie conspiracy theories about Mouser and I being the same person, or anybody else being the same person as somebody else.

The comic is changing, and there was a boilover point. I've gotten MANY messages in my inbox for finally voicing what a lot of folks were feelings. I just got one that said, "Don't let the zealots get you down!"

There are loyal, longtime readers here who disagree with you. Live with it.

Krytha
2006-05-24, 03:31 PM
That's funny. I seem to also recall a bunch of people registering for the first time to tell the Giant how much they liked the comic, and not to let the negative comments get him down.

But of course, those were all new, individual posters, right?

The mods here can track our IP addresses by location, down to the city if they want to follow it that far. So let's can the hookie conspiracy theories about Mouser and I being the same person, or anybody else being the same person as somebody else.

The comic is changing, and there was a boilover point. I've gotten MANY messages in my inbox for finally voicing what a lot of folks were feelings. I just got one that said, "Don't let the zealots get you down!"

There are loyal, longtime readers here who disagree with you. Live with it.

Molonel, Im not trying to start anything here so don't get defensive. Sure the mods can track you down, but we are not mods. Your IP looks the same to me as everyone else's - a little grey icon. I don't know anything about a bunch of lurkers signing on to say "Go Giant!" or anything. You had your own story about one guy making trouble on forums that you modded so its not a conspiracy theory, its believable. It might have been wrong, but its believable.

Corylus
2006-05-24, 03:32 PM
Actually, you did not comply with forum etiquette in your post. Interestingly enough, it was you who said you would apologize if you HAD broken forum code, so whoever you want to apologize to, now would be a good time.

Show me the post where I violated forum etiquette & I will happily apologise for breaking it. You obviously have absolutely no intention of doing so yourself.

Or you could let it slide and we won't discuss this again since you RPG forum people profess to come in peace.

The truth of the matter dear Kythra is that you are trying to backfill the hole you've dug as fast as you can. And I _am_ still waiting.

So you regularly keep count of how many new users register on a day to day basis? Statistically improbable is not the same as impossible.

I've never said I have a great sense of humour and what humour I have is being sorely strained at the moment. However one thing I will admit to is being tenacious. So... still waiting.

As fior the whole alt thing? Are you familiar with the dictionary definition of slander?

<edit> adjusted tags

Rhakir
2006-05-24, 03:41 PM

Not all lurkers come out to criticize. But some lurkers can't stand by when someone is trying to be civil and gets hostility thrown at her.

Might I suggest you try being a little less antagonistic?

Archaelos
2006-05-24, 03:41 PM
WampaX said: "We've also attracted our fair share of good and decent posters."

Lilly said: "I have a hypothesis, there are a lot of new members. I know, that isn't much of a hypothesis, but the new members come from other areas of the internet. Other areas where courtesy and community may not be the top priority."

Question for these two mod types:

Do you consider the following quotations from staunch forumites to be representative of "courtesy and community" as well as "good and decent posters"? Were I to refer to forum regulars as "depraved" or "in need of genetic cleansing" or as having "obsession with genitals", would that be allowed and condoned as "courtesy and community"?

If so, the mods and I seriously have differing definitions of both those words.

Relevant citations from this thread

"...and people like this just confirm my fears about the depravity that lurks within us as a race."

"Get them out of the gene pool too. It's called natural selection."

"Makes me with these forums were some sort of MMORPG and the vets here could deal some needed PvP justice."

"...just a narcissistic obsession with tired sexual metaphors and references to the size of their genitalia, complete with rampant sexism and dismissal of anyone who isn't utterly lacking in class or decency."

Krytha
2006-05-24, 03:43 PM
Show me the post where I violated forum etiquette & I will happily apologise for breaking it. You obviously have absolutely no intention of doing so yourself.

The truth of the matter dear Kythra is that you are trying to backfill the hole you've dug as fast as you can. And I _am_ still waiting.

So you regularly keep count of how many new users register on a day to day basis? Statistically improbable is not the same as impossible.

I've never said I have a great sense of humour and what humour I have is being sorely strained at the moment. However one thing I will admit to is being tenacious. So... still waiting.

As fior the whole alt thing? Are you familiar with the dictionary definition of slander?

<edit> adjusted tags

Hah... well, I cant actually show you it because its been moved to the dump, but you told me that I clearly had not read what he had written in his post. That's against forum etiquette and belittling, which I'm sure you are familiar with. So no, you are not faultless.

And of course I can't keep track of every single new poster, but just because Im not accounting for the miniscule chance that it isn't impossible doesn't make me some kind of injust monster.

You may be tenacious, but I am stubborn.

Mouser
2006-05-24, 03:44 PM
You may be tenacious, but I am stubborn.

But mean.

WampaX
2006-05-24, 03:46 PM
Voice of the Wampinator: Alright. Enough punching each other in the nose. Its been said again and again that everyone has a right to express their views on these boards as long as you jive with the Rules of Posting. Great, we understand that this message needs to be broadcast at a higher volume.

As to the getting out of hand; it just so happens that this altercation coincided with the annual "life hits you in the face" time that happens right around the begining of summer here in the states. The mod staff was at low tide and no one got to it until it was a raging conflagration.The threads are all locked and all are being looked over and scrutinized by the mods. Consider the matter being handled.

In the future, please contact your local section mod via PM instead of jumping into the fray tooth and claw. Its better that we have 100+ PMs to deal with than trying to slog through pages and pages of liquid hot magma.

Krytha
2006-05-24, 03:46 PM
But mean.

Hardly. I did not cast the first stone, nor do I expect her to apologize for her transgressions against me, so I said I would allow it to go if we could mutually forgive and forget. She seems unwilling to do so.

Corylus
2006-05-24, 03:53 PM
Hardly. I did not cast the first stone, nor do I expect her to apologize for her transgressions against me, so I said I would allow it to go if we could mutually forgive and forget. She seems unwilling to do so.

Not at all unwilling just giving you the opportunity to go first.

Despite it not being _my_ post in question I apologise for suggesting you hadn't read the post.

Happy now?

Krytha
2006-05-24, 03:58 PM
I am sorry that I suspected you to be an alternate identity, and even more so that you were deeply offended.

Allow me to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums and I hope you enjoy it here.

WampaX
2006-05-24, 04:01 PM
Allow me to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums and I hope you enjoy it here.

And don't let those milling about in Comics be the standard by which you judge the rest of the board. ;)

Corylus
2006-05-24, 04:03 PM
And don't let those milling about in Comics be the standard by which you judge the rest of the board. ;)

Thank you. ;)

ed
2006-05-24, 04:05 PM
i was gonna post some snark when i saw this discussion earlier, but figured i should hold off. i'm really glad of that right now. :>

ed

Rhakir
2006-05-24, 04:07 PM
i was gonna post some snark when i saw this discussion earlier, but figured i should hold off. i'm really glad of that right now. :>

ed
Probably for the best, ed. I was also resisting the urge to post something snarky. Not a good way to start out in a new forum...

ed
2006-05-24, 04:08 PM
it's nice seeing you posting here, btw. :>

ed

happykat
2006-05-24, 04:09 PM
ed, I was too! But now that they've kissed and made up, I'm kinda disappointed I didn't get to jump in there.

Corylus
2006-05-24, 04:20 PM
ed, I was too! But now that they've kissed and made up, I'm kinda disappointed I didn't get to jump in there.

Sorry HK but as a rule I'm about as non-confrontational as one gets and I will always try to resolve any confrontation with the least possible bloodshed.

Oh and Krythra aplogies for misspelling your handle earlier. My speed typing fu wasn't up to par.

Krytha
2006-05-24, 04:26 PM
Meh... thats hardly something to be sorry for.....

Mouser
2006-05-24, 04:48 PM
kissy kissy

Maelstrom
2006-05-25, 03:11 AM
Wow, what a difference a few hours makes... Glad to see Rodney Kings finally showed up at the party...anyways, thought this was rather relevant and thought I'd share. Oh, and :smooch:

HOW MANY LIST MEMBERS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?

One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

Fourteen to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

Seven to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

Seven more to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

Five to flame the spell checkers.

Three to correct spelling/grammar flames.

Six to argue over whether it’s “lightbulb” or “light bulb”, another six to condemn those six as stupid.

Fifteen to claim experience in the lighting industry and give the correct spelling.

Nineteen to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb (or light bulb) forum.

Eleven to defend the posting to the group saying that we all use light bulbs and there fore the posts are relevant to this group.

Thirty six to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

Seven to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

Four to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL.

Three to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

Thirteen to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add “Me too”

Five to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

Four to say “didn’t we go through this already a short time ago?”

Thirteen to say “do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs”

Three to tell a funny story about their show dog and a light bulb.

AND

One group lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

TinSoldier
2006-05-25, 10:11 AM
That's a great post, Maelstrom! But how many just to show up and say "Woot! First page!" ??

Midnight Son
2006-05-25, 10:22 AM
That's a great post, Maelstrom! But how many just to show up and say "Woot! First page!" ??
Based on this forum; somewhere in the vicinity of 15.

CelestialStick
2006-05-25, 10:59 AM
Woot! Fifth page! ;D

ed
2006-05-25, 12:49 PM
maelstrom: instant classic!

ed

Corylus
2006-05-25, 01:05 PM
Excellent Maelstrom. Very cute!

Sneak
2006-05-25, 06:30 PM
But how many just to show up and say "Woot! First page!" ??

In the A&C thread, actually, people sometimes just do a dance insteand of wooting. Y'know, like this.

*does bajillionth post dance* Oh, and one more thing.

It was kind of a joke. Like, haha. Guess it wasn't appreciated. Y'know, maybe I should move to another forum where my completely unfunny jokes are more appreciated. :P

Ted_Stryker
2006-05-25, 11:10 PM
It was kind of a joke. Like, haha. Guess it wasn't appreciated. Y'know, maybe I should move to another forum where my completely unfunny jokes are more appreciated. :P
Or, possibly, develop the perspicacity to realize that it isn't funny before posting it.

I'm just sayin'. :P

Baelfyre
2006-05-26, 03:42 AM
I would have never come here if one of the people in RPGhost hadn't loved the strip enough to put one of the taglines in their sig.

Sneak
2006-05-26, 07:27 AM
Or, possibly, develop the perspicacity to realize that it isn't funny before posting it.

I'm just sayin'. :P

Ohhhh...that's just plain mean. :P Nah.

Oh, and Baelfyre! Welcome to the playground, don't lurk, don't do drugs, don't drink and drive...and please, have a long, pleasant stay!

Archaelos
2006-05-26, 10:57 AM

Which is exactly why I chose that quote, I knew it had both "humor" potential as well as the possibility of being read as a serious insult. Tone matters, and how do I begin to guess your tone?

But several dissenters were warned (at least one banned) for making jokes *no more serious* than the one offered here. Read in one way they could be playful banter, read in another the height of insult and scorn. The point of the post above including that quotation is that the moderators seem quite biased in how they choose to read such posts. From you, a good, stalwart Titan in the Playground they join in the laughter. A dissenter utters the same words? The warnings and bannings shall fly.

Only human nature of course, but one who presumes to act with power must make themselves aware of such follies within themself; and at least act to minimalize their impact.

molonel
2006-05-26, 02:41 PM
The forum is experiencing growing pains, it will reach a state of equillibrum again sometime.

Despite all the claims of forum apocalypse, this is already turning out to be the case.

Makes me with these forums were some sort of MMORPG and the vets here could deal some needed PvP justice. 8)

I don't think that would be a good idea.

I don't really care what he says now. If I ever see that screen name again, all I'll be able to think about is that silly tattoo. And giggle. He's just a guy like everyone.

You're just jealous cause I'm sexy.

Molonel, Im not trying to start anything here so don't get defensive. Sure the mods can track you down, but we are not mods. Your IP looks the same to me as everyone else's - a little grey icon. I don't know anything about a bunch of lurkers signing on to say "Go Giant!" or anything. You had your own story about one guy making trouble on forums that you modded so its not a conspiracy theory, its believable. It might have been wrong, but its believable.

You haven't said anything provocative enough to make me defensive. I just believe in answering X-Files conspiracy theory silliness with facts. The mods have been informed of the goofy conspiracy theories: X is really Y. Mouser is really me. Bob is really Sally. Blah blah etc. etc. I was able to track down the guy who made trouble in one of my forums with the exact same tools the mods have available to them right now. If you're a mod, then you can tell that at a glance.

So "FLUSH!" goes the conspiracy theory.

And yes, a lot of people signed up as new users to say, "You rock, Giant! Don't let the negativity get you down!" etc. etc. But, of course, since you agree with them, you'd never think to question their recent existence.

Sneak
2006-05-26, 03:15 PM
Bob is really Sally

OHMYGOD! Bob is really SALLY!? Whoah...that explains so much! Ahhh, I get it now!

Erm. Ahem. And Archaelos: well then, I apologize if I have offended anyway in any way. I did not intend to be. I wasn't speaking of anyone in particular either, but I am still sorry if anyone took personal offense.

EDIT: And Molonel, I don't think that you are Mouser. You guys sound too different to be the same person.

molonel
2006-05-26, 03:28 PM
EDIT: And Molonel, I don't think that you are Mouser. You guys sound too different to be the same person.

I've always thought so, too. He tends toward the rapier-like one liners.

I talk too much.

Totally different styles.

ed
2006-05-26, 04:12 PM
but there ain't nothing rapier-like about that boy's wit: i mean, talk about swinging away with a 2x4... :D

ed

Murky_Pool
2006-06-06, 10:20 AM
Even a 2x4 can penetrate if you swing it hard enough, that's why I like superhero games. With a high enough Strength ANYTHING is a stabbing weapon.

Chris the Pontifex
2006-06-07, 06:19 PM
It seems I've really missed something by never looking any further then SMBG and Oots A&C. this whole "flame war" thing just passed me by completely, though i'm on these forums just about every day.

HempRope
2006-06-07, 07:45 PM
Yeah. I stay mostly in the PbP boards, going over occasionally into FB and d20 Gaming (and, of course, I always read Board Issues). I totally missed the controversy over Molonel's appearance here, though I've gathered that there's conflict by reading this place.

molonel
2006-06-07, 11:49 PM
I totally missed the controversy over Molonel's appearance here, though I've gathered that there's conflict by reading this place.

Heh. "Controversy" is such an overused word, and a bit of an overstatement in this case.

"Tempest in a teacup" is more fitting.

I came in, and expressed opinions that a lot of people were feeling, but without the powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

I'm also funnier than most of the people who tried to bust out their forum-fu on me.

Think Chiun, from Remo Williams, against a crowd of mooks.

You get the picture.

Charity
2006-06-08, 05:25 AM
Er ok-ay
Morning all, I, like you Chris, don't venture to comics, I really like Oots but it's not exactly classic literature and certainly not worth getting all riled up over.

I got back from Egypt to find all this in my happy quiet BI forum. Rawbear must be sobbing at this saber rattling in the hermitage ;D

I welcome all the new blood to the forum, and hope to spill some of it for you in the stabbity death thread.

HempRope
2006-06-08, 09:32 AM
Hm... I wonder what I'll find when I get back from Egypt in August... :P

And I have no idea who that is in your analogy, Mo, but I'd say "tempest in a teacup" is larger than "controversy."

Charity
2006-06-08, 11:12 AM
Egypt is great you'll love it Hemp. one piece of advice for the Giza plateau, don't pay the bribes to get your camera in, there are better shots elsewhere, oh and the hawkers/guides/watchmen are not anything like the rest of the Egyptians, oh and the word for no is -La, if you need to add emphasis (and you will) it is - La-A

HempRope
2006-06-08, 01:59 PM
I've been to Egypt once before, as a tourist, and it was fantastic.

I'm going to study this time, so it won't be quite as relaxed, but I'll try to take trips on the weekends.

And I do speak pretty good Arabic, but thanks for the tip. ;)

molonel
2006-06-08, 02:01 PM
And I have no idea who that is in your analogy, Mo, but I'd say "tempest in a teacup" is larger than "controversy."

A teacup is something you can hold in your hand. Imagine a storm spreading out across its surface. Lightning, thunder, hail, ships sinking. Then you realize, oh wait, it's only in a teacup. It's nothing serious. And that sinking ship? It's just a sugar cube.

An actual controversy is much bigger than a tempest in a teacup.

molonel
2006-06-08, 02:02 PM
I welcome all the new blood to the forum, and hope to spill some of it for you in the stabbity death thread.

What is this stabbity death thread of which you speak?

Charity
2006-06-09, 03:36 AM
It is one of the SG threads
over here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=silly;action=display;num=1149855783)
Edit -new thread

Murky_Pool
2006-06-09, 07:49 AM
Stabbity death is fun.

Looking at some of the comments, I assume I'm one of the few people that look at all the parts of the board.