PDA

View Full Version : 4E Illumians, Necropolitans, and Hell-bred. PEACH.

Karaswanton
2008-09-04, 06:07 PM
Illumian:

+2 Int, +2 Cha
+2 History, +2 Streetwise
Illummian Learning: At first level, and Illumian may take either the Linguist feat, or any multi-class feat as a bonus feat. The Illumian need not meet the pre-requisites for the feat.

Illumian Flexibility:
An Illumian may take a number of multi-class feats equal to their Intelligence modifier, or one, whichever is greater. One of these feats serves their "secondary class," and all others serve as "tertiary classes." The secondary class follows the standard multi-class rules; the Illumian may take Power Swap feats, class feats for that class, and a Paragon Path associated with that class. The tertiary feats grant only the abilities of that specific feat: they do not allow the Illumian to take feats which have class pre-requisites for this class, nor any power swap feats or Paragon paths for his tertiary class(es). The secondary class MUST be declared at the time the Illumian takes another multi-class feat, and can not be changed, altered, or re-trained in any way--even Rule 0. Should you attempt to do so, your pencil lead will break, your inkpen will run dry, or the website running your character sheet will have a server issue activating a time-warp which launches Canadian missiles at Soviet Russia, turning the Cold War into WW3.

For instance, an Illumian fighter with Int 13 and Dex 13 takes the Initiate of the Faith feat as his first level bonus feat. He can use the full benefits of this feat as usual. At third level, he takes the Sneak of Shadows feat--this grants him Sneak Attack once per encounter, and training in the Thievery skill. He can not take any feat which has a pre-requisite of "rogue," nor can he take any power swap feats for rogue, nor can he take a rogue paragon path.

Hell-Bred

+2 Con, +2 Cha
+2 Endurance, +2 Intimidate

Hellbred Brand:
Immediate Reaction*Racial*Encounter*Melee weapon
Trigger: An opponent within melee range attacks you.
Effect: You may make a basic attack against the opponent who attacked you. If you hit, you may mark the opponent at your option.

Necropolitans:
Any natural humanoid who has passed the Ritual of Crucimigration.

Ritual of Crucimigatraion.
3rd Level Ritual
Key Skill: Religion
Cost: 500 gp (may change)

Can only be used on a willing, natural humanoid of 3rd level or higher. If the subject is not a natural humanoid, the ritual fails. If the subject is not 3rd level or higher, the ritual kills the subject at the end of the ritual.

The ritual begins at dusk, and ends at dawn the next morning. The eight hour ritual requires special herbs, candles, and incenses, as well as a small group of Necropolitans to perform the ritual. The circle must have at least three members. The subject of the ritual is put into a trance by chanting of the circle, which kills them at midnight. If the ritual is successful, they rise the next dawn as a Necropolitan.

The Necropolitan gains the following:
vulnerability radiant 5
resistance necrotic 5+1/2 level
The undead descriptor
The social benefits and stigma of being a Necropolitan.

Karaswanton
2008-09-04, 06:18 PM
I really liked the Hellbred, but I'm not sure how good the power I gave them is. Well, I think it's powerful enough (maybe a little too good), but it just doesn't seem very flavorful. *shrug*

I suppose the name is neat.

Ceiling009
2008-09-05, 04:34 AM
The Illumians... I think are little too... good. Since they break the entire two-class balance. The Hellbred power shouldn't use a class mechanic, as if they player isn't a defender hellbred, how do they even use the mark? It's better to give either a penalty or something condition. Also... It's probably easier to make necropolitans either a paragon path or a whole new race..

Karaswanton
2008-09-05, 07:35 AM
The Illumians don't get all the benefits of the other multi-class feats though.
And the Hellbred doesn't use a fighter or paladin mark, it's just a mark. Monsters have marks, all it does is give the target a -2 to hit anyone other than the Hellbred.

Baron Corm
2008-09-05, 02:15 PM
I agree, your hellbred power seems kind of out-of-the-blue. Here's some alternatives, taken from the hellbred entry (tweak as desired):

At first level, a hellbred chooses whether the Scourging manifests itself in his mind or his body.

A hellbred with body as his infernal aspect gains the following power:

Fiendish Durability - Daily
Immediate Interrupt
Personal
Effect: Negate a status effect that would have affected you.

[This is taken from the +4 to poison save, the versatility that the feats would have given him, and the fact that every hellbred's body manifests itself differently. Not sure if it should be daily or encounter. If you wanted to keep hellbred as one race, without the Scourging affecting different hellbred differently, I would just give them this power instead of the other one, and rename it "Fiendish Spirit".]

A hellbred with mind as his infernal aspect gains the following power:

Fiendish Senses - Daily
Minor Action
Close Burst 5
Target: Each creature within burst.
Effect: Become aware of the position of every creature within the burst, even if that creature is invisible or otherwise hidden, for 1 round. You may send a telepathic message to any creature you have detected.

[Taken from the darkvision and telepathy, obviously. I'm not sure about the range or duration, or if it should be daily or encounter.]

Edit: The hellbred power you have changed since I last looked at it. I believe that Ceiling is referring to the fact that anyone other than a defender wouldn't WANT people to attack him, and marking a target is giving it incentive to attack you.

Karaswanton
2008-09-05, 02:32 PM
Ah, I see now. Yes, that ability does bias them towards Defenders.
I think I like your ideas better.

What does everyone think of the +2 Con, +2 Cha? I worry it could take something away from the Half-Elf. Perhaps they should have +2 Str, +2 Cha instead? Or +2 (Str or Con), and +2 Cha?

I lost the book that had Hellbred in it, but I really, really liked them. Hence, I couldn't remember their racial stats from last edition.

Karaswanton
2008-09-09, 06:50 PM
Any other ideas?

Baron Corm
2008-09-10, 09:40 AM
Well, body hellbred get +2 Con, and mind hellbred get +2 Cha. So +2 Con and +2 Cha certainly works. If you wanted to split it up, I would give body +2 Con +2 Str and mind +2 Cha +2 Int. But I don't think you should worry about stepping on other races' toes with ability adjustments; there's only six of them, combinations are bound to be repeated. Not to mention that +2 Con +2 Cha is more interesting than the other two options, and they are very good modifiers for the warlock class, which fits the hellbred flavor. Though the hellbred would have to have made his pact with a celestial probably... just change some flavor around.

Karaswanton
2008-09-10, 06:44 PM
Or, instead of being a pact, it's just residual effects left from his time in damnation. And I'm thinking about changing the flavor of the Hellbred to indicate that they escaped Hell, and that the forces of good are preventing the armies of hell from retaking them..for now because they are people who repented at the last second.

And here is an alternate Necropolitan, done my SquirrelWithPants from a different website. It is a little easier than mine, but mine retains more of the original flavor I think. I'm not sure.
NECROPOLITAN
Average Height: 5' 6" – 6' 2"
Average Weight: 120 – 200 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 to any one ability score of your choice
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Common, One other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Religion
Unnatural Origin: For effects that take origin into account, Necropolitans are treated as having the "Shadow" origin. (Personally, I dislike this)
Undeath: Necropolitans have the "Undead" keyword. Necropolitans do not need to eat or sleep, but they must still rest to recover powers and healing surges. Necropolitan have Resist 5 against necrotic and poison damage.
Unnatural Resilience: A Necropolitan's healing surge value is equal to 1/4 its hit points + its charisma modifier (minimum 1).
Shrouded Mind: A Necropolitan has a +1 bonus to its Will defense.
Celestial Aversion: Necropolitan have Vulnerability 5 to Radiant damage.
Mastery Beyond Death: A Necropolitan has a +1 bonus to damage rolls with the At Will powers of its class. This improves to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Karaswanton
2008-09-14, 08:00 PM
ER, bump.

Any other input?
Without anything else, I think these are probably workable races.

This is an alternate version of Illumian, but I'm not sure how well it would pan out:

llumian:
+2 to any ability score
+2 History, +2 Streetwise

Illumian Education:
If an Illumian multi-classes, he may change the key ability score for his secondary class's powers. For instance, an Illumian Wizard/Warlock may use Intelligence instead of Charisma for his Warlock abilities should he take power swap feats.