PDA

View Full Version : New Board

Renrik
2006-05-18, 12:37 AM
The large-scale materialization of the townin the silly message board games is a manifestation of something that was suggested a while back by some of the players:A message board consisting entirely of one giant town. It has already grown to massive porportions, and requires more room. I beleive Excalibran had a very good idea on such a message board. We should consider it.

Wukei
2006-05-18, 12:44 PM
*raises hand* so I don't have to start a new thread.

Ray, I'd heard a little rumour about the art groups getting their own board so that IA and the Arts & Crafts threads won't crowd up comics so much. Is there any merit to this rumour? And how soon do you think it will be done if it's true?

(I don't mean to push you, just a bit curious is all.)

RawBearNYC
2006-05-18, 01:32 PM
The large-scale materialization of the townin the silly message board games is a manifestation of something that was suggested a while back by some of the players:A message board consisting entirely of one giant town. It has already grown to massive porportions, and requires more room. I beleive Excalibran had a very good idea on such a message board. We should consider it.

I rarely, if ever, go to the SMBG forum (except maybe when I have to duel with a Spammer). So, I personally have no strong feelings about it. I'll see if I can nudge Alara, Lilly or Giant over here to look at this. Note, new boards means more moderating. So, that's always a consideration.

*raises hand* so I don't have to start a new thread.

Ray, I'd heard a little rumour about the art groups getting their own board so that IA and the Arts & Crafts threads won't crowd up comics so much. Is there any merit to this rumour? And how soon do you think it will be done if it's true?

(I don't mean to push you, just a bit curious is all.)

That's been discussed, don't think that there's been any final word on it.

Wukei
2006-05-18, 08:28 PM
It wasn't a request...it was knowledge gained by snooping...shh, don't get me in trouble with the big mean moderator for bringing it up...

TinSoldier
2006-05-18, 08:44 PM
It wasn't a request...it was knowledge gained by snooping...shh, don't get me in trouble with the big mean moderator for bringing it up...What are you talking about Wukei? I din't say nothin'!

CabbageTheif
2006-05-19, 06:11 AM
it should be noted that not too many people are posting here because we dont want to bug the moderators with idle chatter. but we are getting a petition in silly message boards passed around:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=silly;action=display;num=1148009093; start=

the town is growing, and is competting for space with the rest of the games. its like one multi-thread game itself. i realize that it would cause the need for more work; therefore i fully understand and appreciate your descicion if you say no. but i think that creating a new forum for us would be most helpfull. thank you for your time

Charity
2006-05-19, 09:49 AM
Could it not just go into the IC games forum? It seems to be what it most resembles, and the IC games folk stick their threads straight onto their favorites and thus won't care about the space competition I imagine.
... *thinking*
The problem though might be that the modding on the pbp games is far more hands off, so the extra work for those poor souls might not be appreciated.

I must say as a silly games aficionado it is becoming a drag. and I recon poor old lilly and Alarra are the busiest Mods in the playground, were just lucky they are so devoted, omni benevolent some may say..

Alarra
2006-05-19, 10:59 AM
The problem with moving it into the ic games forum is that it's not just 1 thread like most of their games are. It's like 30, and the people that are over there would probably not appreciate that.

I can see the merit in it having it's own forum and it's probably something we will discuss. Lilly and I have discussed the town, and for the moment, we've decided to leave the threads in smbg because we figured most of the posters there were involved in it in one way or another anyway, so the large amount of threads on it wasn't bothering them. But since it is bothering some of the regulars over there, we may have to look into it a bit more.

Charity
2006-05-19, 11:21 AM
Don't do anything too drastic on my account (chides self for attributing the above statement to himself)

It probably will die down after a while, I would probably normally join in with gusto, I am not myself of late.

Just slipping off subject for a brief second, do you like Sneaks doll Alarra? I think he's pretty good at capturing the essence of an avi.

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-05-19, 01:16 PM
The problem with moving it into the ic games forum is that it's not just 1 thread like most of their games are. It's like 30, and the people that are over there would probably not appreciate that.

I can see the merit in it having it's own forum and it's probably something we will discuss. Lilly and I have discussed the town, and for the moment, we've decided to leave the threads in smbg because we figured most of the posters there were involved in it in one way or another anyway, so the large amount of threads on it wasn't bothering them. But since it is bothering some of the regulars over there, we may have to look into it a bit more.

Its getting kind of annoying not being able to find the old threads I'm looking for and I haven't found a "town" thread yet that looks even remotely like a game to me [No roolz or anythin']. I think part of the appeal to a lot of the people posting in these town threads is having a thread with their name on it. I would label almost all of them as "Random Banter" and there are plenty of those threads in FB. I agree it could very well die out once the 'shiney' wears off but I'm a bit bored with them at the moment. Still, I appreciate that mods might not have the time to look after yet another board that might require its own set of rules, etc and the town threads are new enough that not enough history is there to demostrate their longevity. No point in making another board for something that people potentially are going to lose interest in. I can see where this qualifies as a "watch and see what happens for now" case.

WampaX
2006-05-19, 01:33 PM
Its getting kind of annoying not being able to find the old threads I'm looking for and I haven't found a "town" thread yet that looks even remotely like a game to me [No roolz or anythin']. I think part of the appeal to a lot of the people posting in these town threads is having a thread with their name on it. I would label almost all of them as "Random Banter" and there are plenty of those threads in FB.

Hey, Random Banter is being contained to one thread . . . or at least I'm trying to contain it to one thread.

As per the "town"
Well, if there are no rules and no organization to the things, then they are not silly games. Nor are they suitable for PbP games since there are a multitude of them and they are not suitable for mixing and mingling with the current single thread games there. Nor are they Friendly Banter as they are not about topics, but are more Random Banter than anything else. At the very least, the threads need to be contained somewhere or done away with entirely.

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-05-19, 01:43 PM
Hey, Random Banter is being contained to one thread . . . or at least I'm trying to contain it to one thread.

Actually you do stay on top of those pretty well, locking off any additional ones that pop up since there is another open on the same subject. Didn't mean to suggest you weren't. Liches are just grumpy 90% of the time.

As per the "town"
Well, if there are no rules and no organization to the things, then they are not silly games. Nor are they suitable for PbP games since there are a multitude of them and they are not suitable for mixing and mingling with the current single thread games there. Nor are they Friendly Banter as they are not about topics, but are more Random Banter than anything else. At the very least, the threads need to be contained somewhere or done away with entirely.

Pretty much my feeling but quite a few of the posters in SMBG seem to really like the threads and since they don't violate any specific rules or such [they just don't seem to fit into any of the current boards] its hard to say they can't exist [well, that's my interpretation and mine only] *somewhere* but right now I feel like they are cluttering the SMBG forum.

Lilly
2006-05-19, 01:50 PM
They are essentiallly one giant game. But there's nothing we can really do about it in it's current condition.

But we like the town and are happy to have it.

Amiria
2006-05-19, 03:45 PM
I really like the town and hanging around in the bars there and in some other establishments. This free-from avatar-based roleplaying is quite fun. Maybe I'll find the courage to join a real PhP game because of this.

But they seem to collide with the normal flow of the SMBG. I don't think that it's a coincidence that I have perceived a slowdown of posts in every game (even Stabbity Death) over the last days. Many of the popular games have fallen to page 3 or even further because of all those town threads.

I don't believe that the town is just a short-lived trend, the interest won't wane soon. So a new board for the town and the SMBG Arena fights that started it all would really help to reduce the clutter in the SMBG.

Renrik
2006-05-20, 04:30 PM
It just needs it's own board in the same section as the Play by Post board and the Finding Players board is in.

Sneak
2006-05-20, 04:45 PM
I think it would be a good idea to have a board for it, but only if it is not too hard to do. As I am not a moderator, I'm not sure how hard these things are. If it wouldn't take too much effort then it would probably be a great idea, as it looks like some of the SMBG regulars are getting twitchy and it really is cluttering up the board and slowing down (dare I say it: maybe even KILLING) games. To me, however, it all really depends on whatever is easiest for the mods.

About the fad thing...I don't believe it'll pass anytime soon. It seems to be just warming up, in fact, with the establishment of "games" like the police/mafia conflict, laws, and tons of different kinds of shops, buildings, places, and rubber chickens. Yes, even the rubber chickens. For this reason and for the reasons above I think it would be good to make a new board if the mods are willing. If worst comes to worst and it really is a fad and a new board has already been created, the board can always be deleted. But then again, like I keep saying over and over again, I don't know how much effort that would take on the mods' part. But anyway, I hope and think that it won't come to that anyway.

InaVegt
2006-05-21, 04:24 AM
Well, i have a forum, and it doesn't take much work to create new boards, but it is more work to moderate and i think that's the major problem

Mortia De Luna Draco
2006-05-23, 04:34 AM
Once again, if the Mods would be interested in haveing a "Mini mod" on a voulenteer basis, I would be more than willing. I have invested alot of time into the creation of the town, and would hate to see it die off beacuse it is too mixed in with the SMBG's. I dont think that it is going to die anytime soon though, you cant go 10 pages into SMBG anymore with out seeing something regarding the town. I have a hard time beliving that its going to be a fad. There are so many D&D lovers here, that a massive online silly role playing game is a hit! I love the town, and want it to stick around, and ever see its own forum!! (to the point of being willing to give my free time to see that it doesnt get out of control)

Did I mention that I would be willing to help in any way to see this go thorugh?

OK then. ;D

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-05-23, 11:15 PM
You can't go 10 pages? More like half a page!

Shea Landford
2006-05-24, 06:21 PM
I agree. IT's like half a page. I understand that so many people enjoy the town, so I hope that it doesn't go away, but if it could be moved somewhere else it would be appreciated. If that is too hard for the mods, I bet there are lots of people wiling to help mod the town board.

Amotis
2006-05-24, 06:32 PM
Adding new mods, I think, would be a much more of a hastle then not. If that happened not only would to mods have to keep their eyes on the town, but the mods of the town as well.

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-05-24, 06:37 PM
I Admin another webstie and i know this. Making a new Forum is easy, you make it name it, and put privleges. Not that hard

Amotis
2006-05-24, 06:44 PM
But throwing non-mods into the throne of mods instantly for the only reason being that they're invoved with the boards? Nah. They would need big brother over their shoulder for quiet a while before enough trust and good stuff is built up, me thinks.

WampaX
2006-05-24, 07:10 PM
But throwing non-mods into the throne of mods instantly for the only reason being that they're invoved with the boards? Nah. They would need big brother over their shoulder for quiet a while before enough trust and good stuff is built up, me thinks.

Ain't how it works here. We have no watcher watching the watchers. The Mods operate as a team and recruits are selected from recommendations (after the first time). We seek out posters that have a handle on the rules, already, and support their fellow posters.

We haven't gotten to the point of recruiting the "outsider" or "rebel with a heart of gold" yet. We still need the "sexy eskimo" and the "guy that gets killed in the first act but comes back later to save the team" before we can even begin thinking of hiring those other two.

Amotis
2006-05-24, 07:12 PM
So that's a no to more mods huh? Because it's a written fact that sexy eskimo's simply do not exist.
Hehe, rebel with a heart of gold...I think I found a random catch phrase.

Renloth
2006-05-24, 07:18 PM
I like the "guy that gets killed in the first act but comes back later to save the team" personally. The kind of guy that figures out everything when it all starts, gets captured, then escapes right at the end for some good old Deus Ex Machina. That's me. :)

Amotis
2006-05-24, 08:01 PM
I like the "guy that gets killed in the first act but comes back later to save the team" personally. The kind of guy that figures out everything when it all starts, gets captured, then escapes right at the end for some good old Deus Ex Machina. That's me. :)

Or a red shirt. Except no saving people, just dying for dramatic effect. "Wow, he just died, this must mean that everything is relavent!"

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-05-25, 09:38 AM
Is there really any reason to discuss getting new mods for a new board that the current moderators haven't even decided is going to come into existance or not? Should such a board come into being it is also possible that there is enough coverage to be had from the current crop of mods thus no new mods needed. And if new mods are needed by decision of the current staff, it is pointless for anyone to sit and wait for a PM in their inbox asking if they'd agree to be a mod. If adding new mods is for some reason being discussed, the current staff already has their short list of potential candidates and will pick from that, regardless of offers or suggestions from random board members. Just sit tight and let the staff do what they do. Everything's worked out well so far, right?

CabbageTheif
2006-05-25, 05:46 PM
my favorite is the lone ensing in the green uniform who went down to the planets surface to explore. you KNOW they arent going to survive.

and you do have a point, king, but i think that at this point its more of a casual chat.

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-05-25, 06:17 PM
and you do have a point, king, but i think that at this point its more of a casual chat.

Meh, don't mind the grumpy old lich. Just getting frustrated of fishing through pages of town threads trying to find his SMBgames.

Sneak
2006-05-25, 06:33 PM
Hopefully Mortia's directory helps with that a tiny bit, but yeah, I understand completely. I'm just not bothered by it because I stopped I went to Post Freak Rehabilitation Clinic and was able to stop my addiction to the SMBG games.

CabbageTheif
2006-05-25, 07:34 PM
Meh, don't mind the grumpy old lich. Just getting frustrated of fishing through pages of town threads trying to find his SMBgames.

there is the silly games directory if you would like to use it. it makes things so much easier
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=silly;action=display;num=1148183496

mortia got it up shortly after the town directory. we townsfolk aren't trying to step on the toes of the silly gamers; this gesture of peace from motia was a sort of apology for the crowded space.

Renrik
2006-05-25, 10:41 PM
yeah. there should, like, be a new board for the town.

PerpetualNewb
2006-05-26, 12:59 AM
yeah. there should, like, be a new board for the town.

What's this town you guys keep talking about?

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-05-26, 07:01 AM
^Check out the Silly Message boards.

Trog
2006-05-27, 11:19 PM
I would just like to say in my own defense that I never would have posted another thread to the Board Issues Board if either of the two previous threads on this topic would have said anything in the Thread's title about "The Town."

Since, at a glace, I saw nothing about The Town on this board I posted mine. Sorry if it came off as bugging the mods. That thread title's your headline, people. Please use it as such in the future. 'M just sayin'.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-28, 09:46 AM
I think the town needs it's own section because it's so darn hard to find the regular games thread when most everything has [town] after it.

Wukei
2006-05-28, 09:48 AM
But for now there's a directory stickied.

And besides, the Town seems to be waning quite a bit. I see more silly games than Town threads, currently.

Rawhide
2006-05-28, 10:11 AM
Like all fads, they come and go.

Sneak
2006-05-28, 10:30 AM
It may be waning, but I predict it'll wax again soon.

CabbageTheif
2006-05-29, 10:33 PM
like all things, there is a part when its 'new', 'exciting', and 'in'. as rules and formal ways to play are getting set up, there are alot less actuall threads. there were some individuals that had more than three threads that it started. i swear, i thought that at any time a poster would make an 'outhouse' thread, just cause every town has public facilities. so, yes, the phisical ammount of threads has droppped from last week or the week before when usless threads were cropping up all the time.

that being said, i have three points that i would like to mention to counter this.
1)although the crowds that liked it cause it was 'in' is waning, there is a VERY large amount of serious townsfolk who will be there.
2) having just successfully made our first pollitical movement, we will grow in streanght once again because there will be a leader of the town, and a 'final word' to stop bickering. not a mod, just someone who in character has a 'right' to tell others what to do and how to do it.
3) summer is coming, if not already upon certain individuals (such as myself). this will make the activity of highschoolers increase. alot. if nothing more, in frequencey of hits. my thread, arguably the most favorite of the entire town, is hitting fiftey every..... three to five days, about. with the increase of activity, you may need to lock another Sneaks Milk Bar every other day

yeah, things are settling down a bit right now. sit back and watch the other shoe drop.

n11
2006-06-07, 10:55 PM
I'm another Silly Gamer who sees "the town" as clutter. It certainly has a right to exist, and I won't begrudge them the space in SMBG, but I would be happy to see the town get its own home should the mods decide to go that route.