PDA

View Full Version : 600 coming up - predictions? [SPOILERS]

mockingbyrd7
2008-09-04, 07:37 PM
So today strip 589 came out... that means the big 600 is 11 comics away. The 100's are often fairly significant (100 being a joke about it, 200 being a huge quadruple-length battle introducing a main antagonist, 300 being Team Evil setting off for Azure, 400 being Haley + Elan hooking up, 500 with the scrying, etc.)

So what event(s) do you think will take place in 600?

BlueWizard
2008-09-04, 07:40 PM
Blue Wiz Guess:

Roy Lives!

I hope. He's my favorite of the PCs

Lira
2008-09-04, 07:47 PM
I'm hoping V manages to scry on Haley in #600. Or something like that.
(I suck at theories. Sorry.)

DraPrime
2008-09-04, 08:07 PM
They kill the GIGANTIC PIT FIEND THAT THREATENS THEIR EXISTANCE?

innk
2008-09-04, 08:38 PM
I was hoping for Roy to come alive like 30-40 strips ago, but i really dont think so now.. its not gonna happen anytime soon looks like.

And given that 500 had everything to be an AMAZING, epic strip, and it was.. just regular like it was, im not expecting anything really great for 600 really..

MReav
2008-09-04, 08:48 PM
Lampshade hanging about the pacing not allowing them to actually do anything special for strip 600.

Either that or the birth.

Emanick
2008-09-04, 09:00 PM
Elan and Therkla kiss.

Forealms
2008-09-04, 09:02 PM
Lampshade hanging about the pacing not allowing them to actually do anything special for strip 600.

Either that or the birth.

If it IS about the birth (which according to Kazumi in this latest strip is about 3 months away, it would be cool to see Roy congratulating them, then a flashback showing how he came back.

Actually, I'm not sure I like that method, but it would be sorta cool. Kinda

[/flipflopping]

Warren Dew
2008-09-04, 09:36 PM
We go back to Haley's group in #600 and Roy is there, alive and well, having been resurrected off screen.

Okay, okay, wishful thinking I know.

bdh5533
2008-09-04, 09:38 PM
i'm going to guess that belkar dies.

EndlessWrath
2008-09-04, 09:50 PM
Definitely hoping one of a few things happens.
- Roy is brought back.
- Team is brought back together...so Roy will come soon.
- Island subplot will end. its been fun for a sidequest. but sidequesting over, I'd like to see more Xylon end of the world stuff.
- perhaps see the snarl released? at leased somewhat in azure city.
- See Haley defeat the chick hunting her, fix her problems in the city, get Roy's body back, and get moving to rejoin the group.

I see a pattern in my answer.

Manoftyr
2008-09-04, 09:50 PM
We go back to Haley's group in #600 and Roy is there, alive and well, having been resurrected off screen.

Okay, okay, wishful thinking I know.

On a side note...that would be really, really funny.

At least to me.

PirateMonk
2008-09-04, 09:58 PM
They kill the GIGANTIC PIT FIEND THAT THREATENS THEIR EXISTANCE?

Given the speed at which the comic generally progresses, this is really the only plausible one, though it still might take too long to get in by 600.

Trizap
2008-09-04, 10:16 PM
The Giant may or may not subvert this, he works in mysterious ways......

Zolem
2008-09-04, 11:01 PM
The freaking refugee side-quest resolves as the evil lord is killed. That's my vote.

SnowballMan
2008-09-04, 11:05 PM
Filler strip.

Just to mess with us.

Liwen
2008-09-04, 11:20 PM

:smalleek:

But he's sorta cool, for a halfling.

Lord_Butters_I
2008-09-05, 12:20 AM
:smalleek:

But he's sorta cool, for a halfling.
But he's doomed.

derfy
2008-09-05, 02:00 AM
Filler strip.

Just to mess with us.

"Let's go out to the lobby, part II. This time...it's personal."

David Argall
2008-09-05, 03:15 AM
Given the speed at which the comic generally progresses, this is really the only plausible one, though it still might take too long to get in by 600.
The devil dies in just a few strips. I'd guess we get one more view of the fight and then he is toast about 593. But there are several other loose ends that might keep us busy here to 600. So 600 may feature Hinjo founding his new city. Or maybe a return to a frantic Haley.

dish
2008-09-05, 03:21 AM
"Let's go out to the lobby, part II. This time...it's personal."

Oh yes.

If it's something as funny as 301 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html) I don't care how long it takes for Roy to get ress'd or the order to get back together.

Setra
2008-09-05, 05:03 AM
Kubota dying, maybe.

Yendor
2008-09-05, 05:50 AM
600 will be the Haley-Crystal showdown. That's going to need to happen before Haley does anything else towards getting Roy back. The devil can be dealt with quickly. Kubota will get one step closer to his deserved end, but there's still time to run on that plotline. I don't expect to see Roy rezzed or the party reunited until near the end of the current book, so maybe around 650.

Haleyintraining
2008-09-05, 05:59 AM
Another letter time.

The first two were so much fun!

Kaihaku
2008-09-05, 06:04 AM

I agree. Possibly in combination with V saying the right four words to the right person for the wrong reason.

Well, correction, I agree that Belkar will 'breath his last', it might not actually mean death. That oracle, what a trickster.

Greg
2008-09-05, 06:16 AM
Hilgya raises Roy.

Setra
2008-09-05, 06:31 AM
Hilgya raises Roy.
That is an interesting idea, hadn't thought of that before

R.O.A.
2008-09-05, 10:19 AM
We switch to either Team Evil or the Linear guild, for an unexpected plot development to be revealed.

DeMorgan
2008-09-05, 10:22 AM
War and XP Spoiler below

The Azure City Fleet crosses the sea; seeking the aid of the Elves to the West. Elan/Vaarsuvius/Durkon meet either the wizard V trained under or V's mate.

or

Haley gets the cleric of Loki (who is not affected by the Cloister spell) to contact Elan/V/Durkon.

Bison
2008-09-05, 10:29 AM
It will be something completely improbable ... We will find out that Kubota is in fact the Monster in the Darkness.

edit: ok, thats just silly, but maybe the monster will stick a talon, paw, wing, something out of the darkness to tease us, we could use an update that crew anyway

Nerdanel
2008-09-05, 10:39 AM
V gets killed by the pit fiend but regenerates, as he is revealed to have turned himself into a lich a while ago for the stat bonuses (which help him figure out how to contact Haley), the ability to live without trancing, and maybe also the handy ability to avoid death as long as one's phylactery survives. V looks so unhealthy because he is undead, not because of his lack of trance.

Okay, that's far-fetched, but it sure would be quite a plot twist. :smallsmile: I've been wondering if the recent string of 1-page strips might be indicative of a major plot twist approaching a very short narrative distance away.

Linkavitch
2008-09-05, 02:17 PM
I'm voting for either going back to Haley and co., or Kubota being killed.

Linkavitch
2008-09-05, 02:18 PM
V gets killed by the pit fiend but regenerates, as he is revealed to have turned himself into a lich a while ago for the stat bonuses (which help him figure out how to contact Haley), the ability to live without trancing, and maybe also the handy ability to avoid death as long as one's phylactery survives. V looks so unhealthy because he is undead, not because of his lack of trance.

Okay, that's far-fetched, but it sure would be quite a plot twist. :smallsmile: I've been wondering if the recent string of 1-page strips might be indicative of a major plot twist approaching a very short narrative distance away.

Is there such a thing as a good lich?

Axl_Rose
2008-09-05, 02:59 PM
Well I really hope the devil doesn't go down quickly and easily, or at all actually. He seems cool.

skywalker
2008-09-05, 04:08 PM
My pick is Belkar dies.

He seems to be getting worse and worse... And I think the Giant has been teasing us about this for a sufficient amount of time...

Blue Ghost
2008-09-05, 04:21 PM
It will be something completely improbable ... We will find out that Kubota is in fact the Monster in the Darkness.

Or that he is actually Nale, who deposed the real Kubota a while back and seamlessly replaced him, for some overcomplicated insidious evil plot.

Okay, that's even more far-fetched.

Lamech
2008-09-05, 04:28 PM
Some possiblities
The big devil casts a blasphemy at everyone. They all die. No wait, thats just too sad. Maybe a power word kill or something?
Belkar dies.
Durkon dies.
Or maybe the order finally turns things around and they start inproving their lot.

Lira
2008-09-05, 05:35 PM
War and XP Spoiler below

The Azure City Fleet crosses the sea; seeking the aid of the Elves to the West. Elan/Vaarsuvius/Durkon meet either the wizard V trained under or V's mate.
Yes! I read War and XPs the other day and as soon as I read that part where it says Azure City's closest allies are the Elves, I went "Hey, why haven't the fleet gone there yet? It would make complete sense and we'd get a chance to see V's mate". Although I'm doubtful that they'll be there for #600, I do think this will happen eventually.

Dacia Brabant
2008-09-05, 05:53 PM
Is there such a thing as a good lich?

Yup, Baelnorns are non-evil elven liches who pursue unlife as a means to continue on an important duty or magical research after death. Considering V's obsession with both finding Haley (duty to a friend) and achieving Real Ultimate Arcane Power, I think this a highly plausible outcome.

Even if he/she doesn't become a Baelnorn in #600 or ever, I think that milestone will be a V strip, just like 200 was for Miko, 300 for Team Evil, 400 for Elan/Haley and 500 for Roy.

AceOfFools
2008-09-05, 07:36 PM
Baelnorns may function differently, but V doesn't talk like a lich.

SoD shows Xykon's transformation to lichdoom, and we'd have noticed if something similar happened to V.

And I'm predicting a completely unexpected and unpredictible plot twist for 600.

hamishspence
2008-09-06, 02:33 AM
Last I checked: liches don't always rip all their flesh off an transformation: that was Xykon's thing. Dig around 3rd and 3.5 sources and liches run the gamut from skeletal to virtually indistinguishable from the living (robe of Gentle Repose)

Fan
2008-09-06, 02:40 AM
You are all wrong it will obviously be a Belkars death strip. (something I've waited for for a LOOONG time.)

bdh5533
2008-09-06, 02:48 AM
You are all wrong it will obviously be a Belkars death strip. (something I've waited for for a LOOONG time.)

well i'm so glad that you agree. but clearly we are not all wrong as i suggested that awhile ago in this same post.

Laurentio II
2008-09-06, 02:49 AM
Haley get in touch with the Loki cleric that is, as already foreshadowed, Hilgya. Belkar has a lucid moment, where he tries to to kill her, and fail, mainly due Celia interference. So we have a full (or double page) on how Hilgya could resurrect Roy, and what is she asking as a payment. It result that she want to join the team, so she can get in touch with Durkan (for passion or revenge, is just not clear).
Celia initially start arguing again the deal, because Hilgya is clearly evil, and propose to just let her go away unarmed. Belkar side her, just skipping the "unarmed" part, or slip back to mad talk and no action. Actually, Celia act as Haley is going to accept.
The Haley tell Celia that she is not going to let Hilgya join the party (having, accidentally, Celia switch side and debating they they should. Because she is that kind of person, you know). Reasons are mainly moral ones (that is not surprising from her at this story part, but still not predicable), and a high speech about her responsibility as team leader.
Her speech is so compelling that Hilgya is touched, and resurrect Roy without any deal asked, just proud of being useful for such a team. She hopes that they will acknowledge her good faith, anyway.
Roy is resurrected, and is is going to compliment with Haley for her best judgment as leader, when Haley backstabs a flatfooted Hilgya to death.
Belkar get the last line and joke.

Red XIV
2008-09-06, 02:52 AM
The blind guy referred to his cleric friend as being male, so it can't be Hilgya.

Laurentio II
2008-09-06, 02:55 AM
The blind guy referred to his cleric friend as being male, so it can't be Hilgya.
The Blind Guy is blind, and female dwarves are not that much different from males. Mind that Mr Burlew likes to surprise readers.

Dacia Brabant
2008-09-06, 01:35 PM
The Blind Guy is blind, and female dwarves are not that much different from males. Mind that Mr Burlew likes to surprise readers.

He also says here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html) that the cleric is a childhood friend, and as he wasn't born blind and seems fairly old--and it's likely Hilgya hasn't been in human lands all that long--it's implausible that it's her.

Epileptic trees aside, we have to accept that Loki is the main evil Northern god, and as such would have a sizeable priesthood.

Though I suppose the priest of Loki is actually Therkla... :smalltongue:

Threeshades
2008-09-06, 01:40 PM
Belkar will explode in a giant splash of vomit.

It's true. Rich told me.

chiasaur11
2008-09-06, 01:51 PM
Haley get in touch with the Loki cleric that is, as already foreshadowed, Hilgya. Belkar has a lucid moment, where he tries to to kill her, and fail, mainly due Celia interference. So we have a full (or double page) on how Hilgya could resurrect Roy, and what is she asking as a payment. It result that she want to join the team, so she can get in touch with Durkan (for passion or revenge, is just not clear).
Celia initially start arguing again the deal, because Hilgya is clearly evil, and propose to just let her go away unarmed. Belkar side her, just skipping the "unarmed" part, or slip back to mad talk and no action. Actually, Celia act as Haley is going to accept.
The Haley tell Celia that she is not going to let Hilgya join the party (having, accidentally, Celia switch side and debating they they should. Because she is that kind of person, you know). Reasons are mainly moral ones (that is not surprising from her at this story part, but still not predicable), and a high speech about her responsibility as team leader.
Her speech is so compelling that Hilgya is touched, and resurrect Roy without any deal asked, just proud of being useful for such a team. She hopes that they will acknowledge her good faith, anyway.
Roy is resurrected, and is is going to compliment with Haley for her best judgment as leader, when Haley backstabs a flatfooted Hilgya to death.
Belkar get the last line and joke.

Wait. Haley, who, while not the most moral individual in history, is decent enough, stabs someone to death who just did her a favor, is no threat at the time, and the action doesn't benefit her in any way?

Heck, BELKAR sometimes shows a better sense of judgement and moral decency than that.

No way that'd happen.

David Argall
2008-09-06, 02:22 PM

You will have to wait a bit longer. Note that the Oracle told us there is a difference between strip year and calendar year. So Belker is still going to be around until January 09 and while strips are not appearing as fast as we would like, we are about certain to be well past 600 by December.

Lissou
2008-09-06, 02:30 PM
What if we took bets as to where the focus will be?

Team Haley?
Team Elan?
Team Evil?
Roy?
Someone else?

I vote for... I don't know :P
I'm not even sure there will be something special this time. At least, I don't think Rich should go out of his way for this specific strip to be special if it's going to damage the plot. So I have no idea.

Morty
2008-09-06, 02:32 PM
While the cleric of Loki Blind Pete mentions is very obviously not Hilgya, she could very well appear alongside him, as his cooworker, acolyte or she could perhaps be sent instead of him to raise Roy. This doesn't mean it'll happen, but it's not impossible.

mockingbyrd7
2008-09-06, 02:34 PM
I actually like that Baelnorn idea.

Here's my screwball theory, patched together from you guys' theories:

Strip 591 to 599 we do a little bit of Haley/Belkar, a little bit of the devil battle.

PANEL 1: Durkon dies heroically battling the massive devil, maybe saving V from being crushed.
PANEL 2: Durkon's sacrifice is in vain, as V is crushed next.
PANEL 3: Cut to Belkar turning green.
PANEL 4: Belkar explodes in a shower of vomit, the blast disorienting Haley.
PANEL 5: Crystal steps out of the shadows and impales Haley, killing her.
PANEL 6: Therkla tries to save Elan.
PANEL 7: Kubota reveals that his "wimpy noble" act is a mere facade, and whips out a blade and slays Therkla.
PANEL 8: Kubota guts Elan, and he dies.
PANEL 9: Kubota beheads both of the Katos in one fell stroke.
PANEL 10: Hinjo and Lien are brave paladins, but they're not fools. They retreat to the waterfront, knowing the battle is a lost cause.
PANEL 11: They jump on Lien's shark together, and the devil reveals that "he only dogpaddles."
PANEL 12: Lien and Hinjo say something that hints that they've been having a secret relationship for a while now.

Lien and Hinjo are the only good guys left alive, and it's up to them to get as many people raised as possible.

STRIP 601: Let's go out to the lobby part two: All of the food characters joining hands and sobbing about the tragic losses in the past strip.

STRIP 602: None of the events in 600 were real.

(Don't take this theory seriously. I don't think any of it will actually happen. Potentially, one or two of the events detailed above MIGHT happen within the next 10 comics or so.)

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-09-06, 08:58 PM
I actually like that Baelnorn idea.

Here's my screwball theory, patched together from you guys' theories:

Strip 591 to 599 we do a little bit of Haley/Belkar, a little bit of the devil battle.

PANEL 1: Durkon dies heroically battling the massive devil, maybe saving V from being crushed.
PANEL 2: Durkon's sacrifice is in vain, as V is crushed next.
PANEL 3: Cut to Belkar turning green.
PANEL 4: Belkar explodes in a shower of vomit, the blast disorienting Haley.
PANEL 5: Crystal steps out of the shadows and impales Haley, killing her.
PANEL 6: Therkla tries to save Elan.
PANEL 7: Kubota reveals that his "wimpy noble" act is a mere facade, and whips out a blade and slays Therkla.
PANEL 8: Kubota guts Elan, and he dies.
PANEL 9: Kubota beheads both of the Katos in one fell stroke.
PANEL 10: Hinjo and Lien are brave paladins, but they're not fools. They retreat to the waterfront, knowing the battle is a lost cause.
PANEL 11: They jump on Lien's shark together, and the devil reveals that "he only dogpaddles."
PANEL 12: Lien and Hinjo say something that hints that they've been having a secret relationship for a while now.

Lien and Hinjo are the only good guys left alive, and it's up to them to get as many people raised as possible.

STRIP 601: Let's go out to the lobby part two: All of the food characters joining hands and sobbing about the tragic losses in the past strip.

STRIP 602: None of the events in 600 were real.

(Don't take this theory seriously. I don't think any of it will actually happen. Potentially, one or two of the events detailed above MIGHT happen within the next 10 comics or so.)

Um, that's a little depressing, don't you think? :smalltongue:

The food characters? Does this mean the snacks from Intermission (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html) make a comeback? :smallwink:

BTW, Hilgya's female, right? And OBP specifically says (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html) "I'll get a message to him (his cleric friend) in the morning". Why do people keep thinking this is going to be Hilgya?

prongs43
2008-09-06, 10:27 PM
599 will be a devestaing cliffhanger. Then, when everyone thinks that 600 will be the ultimate resolution to the refugee sidequest, it will actually just be completely irrelevent filler.

UncleWolf
2008-09-07, 01:49 AM
I bet Haley ends up being killed by the thieves guild:smalltongue:

Not really

Its probably going to be Therkla getting killed by either Kubota or Hinjo under false pretenses.

UncleWolf
2008-09-07, 01:51 AM
The food characters? Does this mean the snacks from Intermission (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html) make a comeback? :smallwink:

BTW, Hilgya's female, right? And OBP specifically says (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html) "I'll get a message to him (his cleric friend) in the morning". Why do people keep thinking this is going to be Hilgya?[/QUOTE]

You forget all dwarves have beards:smallbiggrin:

Oberon
2008-09-07, 03:43 AM
C'mon people Belkar's not gonna be dead in ten strips. The oracle just told us that! I predict rhar Roy will be rez'd before Belkar's death... and will know all. The question is, will he tell the Belkster?

I like the cut of your.... princessbridereference.

Fernando_wtg
2008-09-07, 06:42 AM
Belkar will die(mark of justice makes the deal) and return as the real sexy shoeless god of war and cooking he once said he was...

Graymayre
2008-09-07, 07:40 AM
A rift in time in space opens, Roy is ressurected but the entire OOTS is thrown down the rabbit hole and into the Call of Cthulhu d20 system.

Hilarity ensues.

Anguish
2008-09-07, 01:24 PM
I probably would have arranged for Haley's team to catch up with Elan's team just as Therkla and Elan share their first (entirely justified and innocent) kiss. Celebrating defeating Kubota or something, likely. Sadly, pacing of the story doesn't really allow that much situational change by #600.

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-07, 01:36 PM
I'm thinkin' the comic is going to become funny again.

chiasaur11
2008-09-07, 01:43 PM
I'm thinkin' the comic is going to become funny again.

Yeah! It hasn't been funny since what, the last panel of 590?
And before that, there was a gap of what, a panel since the last great gag?

RosesOnConcrete
2008-09-08, 02:42 PM
Somebody's dead. My bets are on either Therkla (Heroic Sacrifice, unrequited love, etc) or Belkar (MoJ 1, CE halfling 0). Or, on a happier note, we might get a new addition to the cast in the form of an itty bitty piece of asskicking in a Azure-City-blue blanket (which I still hope is a girl, and one who takes after her momma :P ).

Staven
2008-09-08, 03:07 PM
My guess is it's going to be a quadruple length comic featuring both living parts of the order (plus Celia). In the background Roy is monologuing(sp?) to his father about how the order will resurrect him and they'll defeat Xykon, not looking at the hole Elan has dug or the mess Haley is in. Both subplots resolve themselves quickly in-comic, but take a while real time, and when Roy turns back to the scrying, the order has reassembled and is preparing to resurrect Roy. Once they do so, he acts more or less complacent (says something like "wasn't that easy?") and the punchline is the entire party (Elan included) brandishing weapons with murder in their eyes.

MCerberus
2008-09-08, 05:05 PM
Revenge of Fruit Pie the Sorcerer.

edit: to elaborate

After his near-death experience, Fruit Pie begins a crusade to wipe out all hostile goblinoids. His army reaches Azure City at the same time the party does after being reunited and destroying Golem Roy. Using this distraction, the resistance steals several diamonds and a ring with 1 wish on it, but before they can escape they are attacked by the monster in the darkness. The Guy with the Halberd makes a heroic stand against the templated dire crab, and that allows the others to escape. Roy is then resurrected. The entire Hobgoblin garrison is almost defeated by the pastry lord and his army until Redcloak defeats him in a danceoff. It turns out Therkla is Haley's half-sister with an erased memory. The linear guild meanwhile found the true source of ice cream. Thog is overjoyed.

Considering this is going to be a 20 page strip, there will be an intermission page where Soda betrays Popcorn with poisoned butter, ending his dark reign. Oh, and one last thing: Miko is still dead

I think that encompasses most of the present weird playground insanity.

Yorgelayheehoo
2008-09-11, 07:50 PM
I think Roy comes back. His words are: "Took you long enough," "I thought I was becoming a minor character," or something like that.

MReav
2008-09-11, 08:44 PM
I say Roy comes back

His words?

"Hell... it's about time."

Bluelantern
2008-09-11, 08:45 PM
I say Roy comes back

His words?

"Hell... it's about time."

Seriously? in 10 strips?