PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we all just, like, get along?

Lord Herman
2006-05-24, 02:48 AM
I've always liked this forum. The topics are fun, the people are friendly, and the host, although sometimes a bit easily agitated, is generally a nice guy too. I've been to many intarweb forums, but this one is by far the best.

The last few days, however, things have changed. I don't know who started it (and frankly, I don't care), but people started insulting each other, entire groups of forum members, and even our host, the Giant.

Now I can understand people on message boards can sometimes have disagreements, but on these boards, they can usually be resolved in a civilized manner. Not this time, though. People have become really rude, calling names, making wild accusations, and making hostile sarcastic comments.

I've seen my share of forum wars, and trust me, they're not fun. Some people may thrive on them, but to the common forumite, they completely ruin their foruming experience.

So please, please, please, stop the fighting. Stop the name-calling. Stop the sarcastic comments. Some people might hold grudges against others right now, but please let it rest. Let this forum return to its normal, friendly state.

Thanks for reading all the way down,
Lord Herman

Gary_Howard
2006-05-24, 03:02 AM
Lord Herman

I think all letters should end this way. Except ones written sideways. That'd be more of a
t a T
o l r f h
l e o a
t a r n
h t d k
e h i s
e n
l g
e w
f a
t y
!

Edit: And that doesn't seem to work at all.

CelestialStick
2006-05-24, 03:23 AM
I've always liked this forum. The topics are fun, the people are friendly, and the host, although sometimes a bit easily agitated, is generally a nice guy too. I've been to many intarweb forums, but this one is by far the best.

The last few days, however, things have changed. I don't know who started it (and frankly, I don't care), but people started insulting each other, entire groups of forum members, and even our host, the Giant.

Now I can understand people on message boards can sometimes have disagreements, but on these boards, they can usually be resolved in a civilized manner. Not this time, though. People have become really rude, calling names, making wild accusations, and making hostile sarcastic comments.

I've seen my share of forum wars, and trust me, they're not fun. Some people may thrive on them, but to the common forumite, they completely ruin their foruming experience.

So please, please, please, stop the fighting. Stop the name-calling. Stop the sarcastic comments. Some people might hold grudges against others right now, but please let it rest. Let this forum return to its normal, friendly state.

Lord Herman

Hear, hear!

(singing)
All we are saying...
Is "give war a chance..." ;)
----------------------
Life if very short
And there's no ti--i-i-i-ime
For fussing and fighting my friend.
I have always thought, that it's a cri-i-i-i-ime...

I think all letters should end this way. Except ones written sideways. That'd be more of a
t a T
o l r f h
l e o a
t a r n
h t d k
e h i s
e n
l g
e w
f a
t y
!

Edit: And that doesn't seem to work at all.
Um, what?

phlip
2006-05-24, 03:32 AM
t a T
o l r f h
l e o a
t a r n
h t d k
e h i s
e n
l g
e w
f a
t y
!

That what you were after?

Shalaina
2006-05-24, 03:37 AM
Do you really want an answer to that? Well, I figure the answer is: Because as odd as it might seem, some people enjoy making life miserable for others.I figure that happens for two reasons:

Either it's group pressure, like the tests of courage peer groups more or less force their members to go through to build up a sense of belonging and to draw a dividing line to other social groups. So it could be a bunch of young people meet at some place, and someone suddenly has the grand idea to go insulting random strangers on a message board because it's "cool", "leet" etc. So taking a tests of courage displays not only courage, but also allegiance to the group.

Or it's a single individual who doesn't normally receive much support and encouragement in every day life, so they decide to take revenge for being treated poorly by using the anonymity of the internet to insult other people. That way, they can at least feel powerful once in a while.

One way or another, since it seems impossible to argue with most of these folks, I'd recommend using the good old principles of operant conditioning when dealing with those people: Ignore them. They're looking for attention, any kind of attention, regardless of whether it's positive or negative, reinforces them and makes them post more offensive remarks.

CelestialStick
2006-05-24, 04:09 AM
t a T
o l r f h
l e o a
t a r n
h t d k
e h i s
e n
l g
e w
f a
t y
!

Ah, so that's what it was supposed to be. Thanks.

Do you really want an answer to that? Well, I figure the answer is: Because as odd as it might seem, some people enjoy making life miserable for others.I figure that happens for two reasons:

Either it's group pressure, like the tests of courage peer groups more or less force their members to go through to build up a sense of belonging and to draw a dividing line to other social groups. So it could be a bunch of young people meet at some place, and someone suddenly has the grand idea to go insulting random strangers on a message board because it's "cool", "leet" etc. So taking a tests of courage displays not only courage, but also allegiance to the group.

Or it's a single individual who doesn't normally receive much support and encouragement in every day life, so they decide to take revenge for being treated poorly by using the anonymity of the internet to insult other people. That way, they can at least feel powerful once in a while.

One way or another, since it seems impossible to argue with most of these folks, I'd recommend using the good old principles of operant conditioning when dealing with those people: Ignore them. They're looking for attention, any kind of attention, regardless of whether it's positive or negative, reinforces them and makes them post more offensive remarks.

Well-argued. It doesn't actually take much courage to insult people online, although it might seem that way to particularly fearful people. I suspect that your second theory explains more of what we've been seeing. Either way, good advice, Shalaina. :)

Freelance Henchman
2006-05-24, 04:20 AM
One way or another, since it seems impossible to argue with most of these folks, I'd recommend using the good old principles of operant conditioning when dealing with those people: Ignore them.

I hope the sheer amount of these types doesn't get so high that you would need to ignore every second post or so.

Unfortunately even just one of them can cause quite a lot of aggravation which would need to be counterbalanced by a lot more "good" posts.

I guess this is another thing that attracts troublemakers, the power to annoy lots and lots of people with minimal effort and no real danger.

Gri
2006-05-24, 04:52 AM

Lord Herman

With you dispencing so much advice I think I'll do the same: Stop bringing it up all over again. I think this is the 2-3 thread like this.

Lord Herman
2006-05-24, 05:19 AM
With you dispencing so much advice I think I'll do the same: Stop bringing it up all over again. I think this is the 2-3 thread like this.

If there really has been a thread like this, I apologise for bringing it up again. But if I'm not mistaken, those other threads were defending or reassuring the Giant, while this one is meant as an impartial plea for world forum peace. If I sounded like I was defending any 'side' in this conflict, that was not my intention.

Gary_Howard
2006-05-24, 07:59 AM
t a T
o l r f h
l e o a
t a r n
h t d k
e h i s
e n
l g
e w
f a
t y
!

Yes. -_-;

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 10:46 AM
If there really has been a thread like this, I apologise for bringing it up again. But if I'm not mistaken, those other threads were defending or reassuring the Giant, while this one is meant as an impartial plea for world forum peace. If I sounded like I was defending any 'side' in this conflict, that was not my intention.No, there was a thread called "forum aggression" which discussed the exact same thing -- the nature of the forum rules, the tolerance of criticism, double standards, and the like. It got locked and dumped.

That's all I got to say about that.

elliott20
2006-05-24, 10:59 AM
How's this for forum aggression?

Herman, I fart in your general direction!!

your mother was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries!!!

Now go away, before I taunt you another tim-uh.

Mouser
2006-05-24, 11:18 AM
No, there was a thread called "forum aggression" which discussed the exact same thing -- the nature of the forum rules, the tolerance of criticism, double standards, and the like. It got locked and dumped.

That's all I got to say about that.

Yeah. This forum needs to be kept pristine for the kiddies.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-24, 11:24 AM
I'm still wondering why that particular thread was locked AND dumped. Locked, ok. But dumped? Rough. Very rough... :-X

ed
2006-05-24, 11:26 AM
probably fear of people quoting stuff from it in future threads is my guess. otherwise, given the level of activity i seem to see here, it would easily fall into the forum's equivalent of the negative energy plane: page 2. :>

ed

Midnight Son
2006-05-24, 11:31 AM
I'm still wondering why that particular thread was locked AND dumped. Locked, ok. But dumped? Rough. Very rough... :-XThe mods usually take something to the dump if it needs a good scrubbing or if they want to discuss it amongst themselves before making decisions. After that, it either disappears forever or they put it back nicely scrubbed and usually locked.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-24, 11:35 AM
and, what's the bet? will the thread return? something awful must've happened there after I went to bed yesterday evening. Because it was moving into a peaceful direction when I left. (okok, maybe more of a ceasefire than peace, but the smoke seemed to settle...)

Lilly
2006-05-24, 01:03 PM
The Fairy Modmother: Is this thread discussing a comic? Is it discussing something directly related to a comic that is not a comic? Is it discussing the board in general? Why yes it is! I believe you belong in Board Issues

molonel
2006-05-24, 01:20 PM
I've always liked this forum. The topics are fun, the people are friendly, and the host, although sometimes a bit easily agitated, is generally a nice guy too. I've been to many intarweb forums, but this one is by far the best. The last few days, however, things have changed. I don't know who started it (and frankly, I don't care), but people started insulting each other, entire groups of forum members, and even our host, the Giant.

Hi. I'm Molonel. The match hit the gasoline when I posted something about the comic. I think it was #315. My first comic was about the comic, and the comic ONLY. Since then, I've given tit-for-tat with several people. I'm no saint, and I'm not going to paint my profile into a Greek Orthodox icon on the wall.

I will say, however, that outside of a few anime fan forums, the folks here are the least receptive to criticism of any I have encountered anywhere on the internet. And don't bother telling me that it wasn't CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, or that it was my tone, or my presentation, or whatever. The hard, cold truth is that some of you folks are zealots who are only going to be happy in a forum full of people saying, "Rock on, Rich! You're the BEST! OMG that was the funniest Oots evar!"

If you think I'm wrong, try presenting a REAL criticism of the comic here. I'm not talking about some namby-pamby, "Well, that wasn't exactly my most favoritist comic ever, and it was slightly less than perfect" sort of criticism. I mean a real, substantive criticism of the comic, its direction, or its tendencies. Don't pull your punches. Don't file the sharp edges off of your sentences. Just say it like you mean it.

Then you will see what I mean.

If you think that's bad, you should see some of the spew I got in my inbox. Ya'll are some vicious mofos when you're defending something you claim to love.

I've seen my share of forum wars, and trust me, they're not fun. Some people may thrive on them, but to the common forumite, they completely ruin their foruming experience. So please, please, please, stop the fighting. Stop the name-calling. Stop the sarcastic comments. Some people might hold grudges against others right now, but please let it rest. Let this forum return to its normal, friendly state.

See, this is called a "Head in the sand" mentality. There's a problem, so let's all pretend it's not there, and maybe it will go away, and we can all return to that idyllic time when we were twelve, and life was nothing but a romp through the flower garden all day long.

The comic strip, in case nobody else has noticed, is changing. It's taking a different direction. The first 120 or so comics are a different read than the last 50 or so. Some people won't care. But some people will. And those that do are JUST as passionate about their opinions as those who just want them to shut up.

saraswati
2006-05-24, 01:34 PM
It seems that many people are frustrated with the recent changes general discussion style.

As individuals I think it is tempting to try to change people by responding to them, and trying to engage them in discussion. But although it's tempting, it is not productive. Just ignore them.

If the mods want to do something, or if they feel they can do something, they will. If not, they won't.

Just install your own little /ignore.

Jack Squat
2006-05-24, 02:14 PM
Hi. I'm Molonel. The match hit the gasoline when I posted something about the comic. I think it was #315. My first comic was about the comic, and the comic ONLY. Since then, I've given tit-for-tat with several people. I'm no saint, and I'm not going to paint my profile into a Greek Orthodox icon on the wall.

I will say, however, that outside of a few anime fan forums, the folks here are the least receptive to criticism of any I have encountered anywhere on the internet. And don't bother telling me that it wasn't CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, or that it was my tone, or my presentation, or whatever. The hard, cold truth is that some of you folks are zealots who are only going to be happy in a forum full of people saying, "Rock on, Rich! You're the BEST! OMG that was the funniest Oots evar!"

The thing is, it IS your presentation. You won't be well recieved if you swear or use vulgar terms anywhere, including real life.

I'm not saying that you are wrong and should quit complaining, but if your going to post comments against the flow, you need something to back it up with something. Backing something up is also a great idea for supporting the general flow, but since the majority of people feel that way, it's overlooked. If/when I post on the recent comic thread, I won't just say "Great comic", and neither do the people worth listening to, they'll say something like "Really liked this part", "This made me laugh", or the like. If you post a negative comment on that thread, you better have some reasoning like "this was predictable" or "this didn't make sense". 98% of the people will recieve that better than "the comic sucks now", the other 2% you really don't need to waste your time on.

The comic strip, in case nobody else has noticed, is changing. It's taking a different direction. The first 120 or so comics are a different read than the last 50 or so. Some people won't care. But some people will. And those that do are JUST as passionate about their opinions as those who just want them to shut up.

True, it is taking a turn...no one dismisses the fact. The comic couldn't have made it this far with being one-strip jokes. The development of a plot and characters is essential to any good story. That's all any comic is, a story. Some are better told than others, and the ones that actually let the characters develop are going to enjoy a longer life than the ones that are just one long line of jokes.

My only problem with you and mouser are the way you presented your opinions. You made it sound like you were reading through the recent comics at gunpoint and couldn't stand it anymore. Unless you are, a more civilized tone would be appreciated. You can catch more flies with - you know the saying, do I really need to repeat it?

molonel
2006-05-24, 03:11 PM
The thing is, it IS your presentation.

The thing is, it's not. You're wrong. I got two kinds of mail in my inbox since arriving here: hate mail, and people saying, "Thank God, somebody finally said it!" I've received plenty of messages from people who came here for the humor, and got shouted down whenever they suggested that the comic was going in a direction that was distinctly unfunny.

I know you THINK you guys are open-minded, and accepting. But you're not.

Truthfully, you don't HAVE to be. It's a private message forum. There is a deep and profound truth in stating, freedom of the press belongs to those who own the press. But I think you need to stop pretending that this is a place that entertains all views equally, and stop making excuses.

Now, I should state here that I haven't had a bad experience with either Rich, or the mods. The former has been gracious, and I haven't even talked with the latter.

You won't be well recieved if you swear or use vulgar terms anywhere, including real life.

Actually, you'd be surprised.

I'm not saying that you are wrong and should quit complaining, but if your going to post comments against the flow, you need something to back it up with something.

You don't HAVE to say it. Plenty of people are saying it for you. And I've been able to back up what I've said MANY times. That just doesn't matter to many of you folks.

Backing something up is also a great idea for supporting the general flow, but since the majority of people feel that way, it's overlooked. If/when I post on the recent comic thread, I won't just say "Great comic", and neither do the people worth listening to, they'll say something like "Really liked this part", "This made me laugh", or the like. If you post a negative comment on that thread, you better have some reasoning like "this was predictable" or "this didn't make sense". 98% of the people will recieve that better than "the comic sucks now", the other 2% you really don't need to waste your time on.

Um, Jack, we DID back up what we said. I really hate to break it to you, but we have legitimate gripes. We voiced those.

True, it is taking a turn...no one dismisses the fact. The comic couldn't have made it this far with being one-strip jokes. The development of a plot and characters is essential to any good story. That's all any comic is, a story. Some are better told than others, and the ones that actually let the characters develop are going to enjoy a longer life than the ones that are just one long line of jokes.

The thing is, this comic built its fanbase on d20 gamers. Those came here for gamer humor. Go back and read comics #1 - 120-ish. Then read the last 30 comics. The gaming humor is going away. Or, like the most recent comic, it goes back to an old joke instead of inventing a new one.

I don't come here for deep and profound stories. I don't come here for relationship advice, so let's can the Dr. Phil. I understand that there are people here who are going to praise the comic to the stars no matter what it does.

I am not one of those people, though.

My only problem with you and mouser are the way you presented your opinions. You made it sound like you were reading through the recent comics at gunpoint and couldn't stand it anymore. Unless you are, a more civilized tone would be appreciated. You can catch more flies with - you know the saying, do I really need to repeat it?

I'm not trying to catch flies. Cow sh*t attracts more flies than honey.

I'm expressing my opinion. And I can pan-fry it with powdered sugar, or serve it on a silver platter, or I can give you the straight scoop. I prefer the latter.

The problem I have with people like you is that you don't have any problem with the "uncivilized" tone of those who dogpile on top of those who, like me, originally came in to talk about the comic.

Yes, yes - I know. They were just hurt, and responding out of anger and frustration. You have all sorts of excuses, I'm sure. But you're inconsistent, and that's part of the reason I can't take you that seriously.

RawBearNYC
2006-05-24, 03:32 PM
Voice of a Mod

Thanks for lobbing this over my way, Lilly. I owe you one.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

People, come on. There's an old adage "When you wrestle with a pig, the pig has fun and you get dirty." and that's what's happening here.

When you argue with someone, you lend your credibility to their arugment. If the arguemnt is worthy of your credibility, then go on, but if not, ignore it. Demonstrate that it doesn't materially impact your opinion of the world. It is UNTRUE that an undefended argument grows in strength. Instead the flames die for lack of fuel.

I've heard opinions that state that the comic's direction has changed for the worse. I don't much care about them, and won't bother to argue with them.

This thread, and threads like it prove that there's an audience for an agitator's opinions and encourages them to continue to agitate. So, y'all stop.

The topic of the strip's direction has been discussed to death. The topic of whether there be trolls has been discussed to death. Time to drop it all, and if you care about this community you will drop it.

Mouser
2006-05-24, 03:39 PM
Evidently, Rich isn't the only "thin skinned" one.

Mattaeu
2006-05-24, 03:41 PM
<--was responding when mod posted: so...

Okay RawBear, I'll continue on to the monkeys cage. :)

Morden
2006-05-24, 03:42 PM
Voice of a Mod
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

So who's the trolls here then?
Or was that just a general statement?

Sneak
2006-05-24, 03:46 PM
The thing is, it's not. You're wrong. I got two kinds of mail in my inbox since arriving here: hate mail, and people saying, "Thank God, somebody finally said it!" I've received plenty of messages from people who came here for the humor, and got shouted down whenever they suggested that the comic was going in a direction that was distinctly unfunny.

That's understandable, I guess.

I'm not really going to delude myself into thinking that. I try to be, but sometimes I fail. However, saying "you're not" is a horrible generalization. Have you conversed with every member of this forum? I doubt it. I didn't post on the thread that you started, I don't really know what it said, but I can tell you one thing. Now, I know you're not going to agree with me on this, but Jacksquat is right on the part that presentation really does matter. Sure, often if you shout out profanity in the real world, many people won't mind. However, people on a forum with specific rules, mods, and even a language filter may mind. The forum is not really life, and it can't be treated as such. I don't really know what you did as I didn't read the thread, but that's what I have to say.

[quoote]Truthfully, you don't HAVE to be. It's a private message forum. There is a deep and profound truth in stating, freedom of the press belongs to those who own the press. But I think you need to stop pretending that this is a place that entertains all views equally, and stop making excuses.[/quote]

This is not a place that entertains all views equally. I admit, most people here will worship the comic and praise Rich: but is that really such a bad viewpoint? It's as valid as your own. Who said that we entertained all views equally? We're a board that has mainly amassed members from an online comic, so of course most of the forumgoers will read and like that online comic. It sounds like you knew you were saying something that would ruffle peoples' feathers. Now, that's fine, and I don't mind that you posted it. But you can't post something like that and expect to not get any negative attention.

You don't HAVE to say it. Plenty of people are saying it for you. And I've been able to back up what I've said MANY times. That just doesn't matter to many of you folks.

Once again, a horrid generalization. You yourself said that you got many PMs thanking you for saying what you did. And even the people that disagree with you, some of them may agree that you backed it up well enough but still disagree. An online comic, just like any form of art or humor, is completely subjective. I bet that many people who disagreed with you didn't send you a PM full of flaming and trolling. In fact, probably even MORE lurkers went over the post and didn't post or PM you. However, backup up something that is completely subjective is kind of hard to do. You may say that the comic is turning into a carebear Dr. Phil comic. Well, some people will like different things, and I'm sure some people actually prefer the way the comic is going now to what it used to be.

Um, Jack, we DID back up what we said. I really hate to break it to you, but we have legitimate gripes. We voiced those.

I can't comment on that as I didn't read the thread.

The thing is, this comic built its fanbase on d20 gamers.

While that may be true, I am not a d20 gamer and I know several other forumgoers who aren't. Granted, I still understand most of the DnD jokes due to DnD CRPGs and just a bit of DnD knowledge.

Those came here for gamer humor.

Did they? Can you say that? Have you talked to every other person who read the comic because they were a gamer? Do you know if they all came for the gamer humor? DnD players can be just like everyone else, and as I've said before, people like different things. Not everyone will agree with you for that, I am sure.

Go back and read comics #1 - 120-ish. Then read the last 30 comics. The gaming humor is going away.

Is that necessarily true? Yes, there is less gaming humor now, but it could just be this specific plot arc, and the gaming humor will return when it is over. You never know. Only Rich can say.

it goes back to an old joke instead of inventing a new one.

Is that really so bad? Do you have something against running gags? I may have a terrible sense of humor, but I enjoyed the last comic.

I don't come here for deep and profound stories. I don't come here for relationship advice, so let's can the Dr. Phil.

You don't come here for deep and profound stories. Others might. You are not being forced to come and read the comic, and if you really have a problem with it you can stop reading it. I understand that your criticism is valid and constructive, but Rich has already said that he will not listen to anyway who asks him to change his comic. No offense to you, but it is a lost cause to change the comic. Others may agree with you, but Rich obviously doesn't, and he's the boss here.

I understand that there are people here who are going to praise the comic to the stars no matter what it does.

Yes, and I could probably be counted as one of them.

Not to be nasty, but anyone with enough intelligence to read OOTS and understand it would be able to get that you aren't one of those people by now.

That actually is very true. Funny too. Would make a good quote. Anyway, that is actually a valid forum analogy too...flaming, trolling, and vulgarity attracts more flaming, trolling, and vulgarity more than anything else.

I'm expressing my opinion. And I can pan-fry it with powdered sugar, or serve it on a silver platter, or I can give you the straight scoop. I prefer the latter.

I would prefer the first option, but I guess I do have a sweet tooth for sugar.

The problem I have with people like you is that you don't have any problem with the "uncivilized" tone of those who dogpile on top of those who, like me, originally came in to talk about the comic.

Do you know that Jacksquat has no problem with those people? Did he post something to that effect?

Yes, yes - I know. They were just hurt, and responding out of anger and frustration. You have all sorts of excuses, I'm sure.

Let's not pretend that you don't have excuses too. We're all just battling with excuses, and if you blow on them they all fall down like a card house. But really, that's not the point.

But you're inconsistent, and that's part of the reason I can't take you that seriously.

Don't take us seriously, then. You don't have to. But by saying that, you're just making others dislike you more. I'm not saying I dislike you (although you probably hate me), but then again, I'm not "others."

Now you may scorn me for being a carebear, trying to be civil, and "coating my arguments with sugar," but that's my style. I will have a reputation wherever I go, and I prefer to keep that a good one. Being uncivil doesn't exactly help your reputation.

I probably shouldn't have joined in with this...it'll just turn into another flame war.

ed
2006-05-24, 03:48 PM
i'll confess, i'm rather curious about the answer to morden's question.

ed

RawBearNYC
2006-05-24, 03:53 PM
So who's the trolls here then?
Or was that just a general statement?

i'll confess, i'm rather curious about the answer to morden's question.

ed

That really doesn't matter. continued posting to this thread and threads like it BY ALL INVOLVED (except me, of course) is bringing down the tone of the boards.

Morden
2006-05-24, 03:55 PM
If it is a bannable offense to call posters "trolls", then it does, IMNSHO.

Jack Squat
2006-05-24, 03:58 PM

I don't think that every poster here is level headed and open minded, but the ones worth listening to are. That's the way it always is. Do you take advice from someone who is emotional and rash, or from someone who can sit back and see it from other points of view?

Truthfully, you don't HAVE to be. It's a private message forum. There is a deep and profound truth in stating, freedom of the press belongs to those who own the press. But I think you need to stop pretending that this is a place that entertains all views equally, and stop making excuses.
It is most definetly biased towards the giant, but you have not been banned yet for disagreeing with him. I think I make my point.

Actually, you'd be surprised.

I can say from experiance that a more civilized 'tone' will get you farther in life. I went to a seminar that focused on bettering your chances at getting a job, and I know from experiance that interviewers prefer someone with a more vast and professional vocabulary over someone who can't think of anything better to say than a profane word.

If you could point it out, I don't remember reading anything, but to be honest I didn't store most of what you said into my memory because of your delivery.

The thing is, this comic built its fanbase on d20 gamers. Those came here for gamer humor. Go back and read comics #1 - 120-ish. Then read the last 30 comics. The gaming humor is going away. Or, like the most recent comic, it goes back to an old joke instead of inventing a new one.

I feel I must point out that there are only so many jokes that can be made about the d20 system before it gets old. You keep trying to imply that those against you do not realize the comic has changed. Anyways, my post is not about you dissing the comic, it's the way you went about it.

I don't come here for deep and profound stories. I don't come here for relationship advice, so let's can the Dr. Phil. I understand that there are people here who are going to praise the comic to the stars no matter what it does.

I don't come here for "deep and profound stories" either, rather I come here because I enjoy reading the comic, even though it's getting really slow, I like how it's developing and showing new sides to characters I thought I knew. It helps me see why they do what they do. I enjoy novels that do the same thing.

Really? I had no idea ::)

I'm not sure why you assert your position so, it's clear by your posts, and no one has claimed you to be otherwise.

I never assumed you wanted flies, although your tone is definetly attracting them.
No one wants flies, they're annoying and swarming with diseases. But if you think of peoples' attention or opinions as flies, then you certianly seem to want them. That much need not be said.

I like things straight to the point too, but there are better ways to present it while keeping it plain, maybe serving it with a side of fries, or maybe some unsweetened tea ;)

I'd appreciate it if you didn't assume things about me, I already stated that those posters needn't worry you. I wasn't as appalled by those responses as I was by your posts for one reason, the place. This is Rich's forum and some people feel as if they need to try to protect him. Every forum I've been to have had these "yes-men" and they have never actually crossed my mind as having a sense of reason, which is what I look for in people.

Yes, yes - I know. They were just hurt, and responding out of anger and frustration. You have all sorts of excuses, I'm sure. But you're inconsistent, and that's part of the reason I can't take you that seriously.

I have not yet responded in defense of those people, nor do I have any excuses for their behavior other than they know no better than to try and suck up to the owner of the site.

I'm not inconsistent, I just have yet to reveal my side. And I'd like to know the rest of why you can't take me seriously.

EDIT: whoah, simu-posted...8 times. guess that's what happens when I leave my computer to get a drink

ed
2006-05-24, 04:03 PM
rawbear: you're a busy person, esp right now. i understand that. however, it's precisely at such times that a person is most vulnerable to making a decision that at a future point, they might evaluate differently.

if you feel that continuing to post in a thread such as this is lowering the level of discourse, irrespective of the content of the posts however, while there's obviously nothing i can say to stop you, i think you can understand morden's point WRT potential banning.

if you prefer that morden, myself or another user create a different thread WRT this particular issue (what does/doesn't warrant banning), i'd be happy to do so and i feel pretty comfortable speaking for morden when i say i think he would, too.

ed

RawBearNYC
2006-05-24, 04:19 PM
If you have a specific concern about warnings, then feel free to PM me or another mod. The rules are clear and layed out well. If we have made a decision that you don't like or understand, you can ask privately, but such a conversation does NOT have to happen publicly particularly not at a time like this.

ed
2006-05-24, 04:22 PM
OK. thanks for your prompt response, btw. :>

ed

Sneak
2006-05-24, 04:23 PM
Ooh, sorry RawBear...I was posting my reply while you said to not feed the trolls. -_- Sorry.

Anyway, should this thread get some lockage? Flame wars are refreshing and all, but...

Morden
2006-05-24, 04:23 PM
Right, will do.

And ed? I'm pretty sure you can talk for me whenever you feel like it. It'll be more polite and better thought out than I could have said it anyway :)

Midnight Son
2006-05-24, 04:40 PM
If it is a bannable offense to call posters "trolls", then it does, IMNSHO.
Then if Rawbear answers the question must he ban himself? ;D

Morden
2006-05-24, 04:43 PM
Then if Rawbear answers the question must he ban himself? ;D
That was kinda where I was going, yes.
He just seemed a little... eh... anyways. 8)

molonel
2006-05-25, 04:32 PM
Voice of a Mod
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS. People, come on. There's an old adage "When you wrestle with a pig, the pig has fun and you get dirty." and that's what's happening here. When you argue with someone, you lend your credibility to their arugment. If the arguemnt is worthy of your credibility, then go on, but if not, ignore it. Demonstrate that it doesn't materially impact your opinion of the world. It is UNTRUE that an undefended argument grows in strength. Instead the flames die for lack of fuel. I've heard opinions that state that the comic's direction has changed for the worse. I don't much care about them, and won't bother to argue with them. This thread, and threads like it prove that there's an audience for an agitator's opinions and encourages them to continue to agitate. So, y'all stop. The topic of the strip's direction has been discussed to death. The topic of whether there be trolls has been discussed to death. Time to drop it all, and if you care about this community you will drop it.

Thanks. It's nice to know that when I dial back on my snark, having been warned by the mods to reign in my attitude, I can still count on one to step in and tell everyone that I'm a troll, and my opinion is irrelevant - even when I attempt to abide by the rules.

I appreciate that.

I don't need anyone to argue with me in order to lend credibility to my argument. My argument is already credible, articulate, occasionally snarky, and sometimes just plain funny.

If you're going to ban me, then ban me. That's your right.

But if you're not, then please allow me to express my opinion without further commentary. If I break the rules, let me know. I got one warning under my belt, and I've tried to heed it.

If I'm not breaking the rules, then I have just as much right to say what I'm saying as anyone else.

molonel
2006-05-25, 05:02 PM
I probably shouldn't have joined in with this...it'll just turn into another flame war.

You know, I honestly don't think that anyone here has actually ever SEEN a flamewar if you think that this even borders on one. It's a discussion. You post your opinion. I reply. If you wish, you reply to my reply. It's all voluntary, and despite claims to the contrary, it's rather civil.

However, saying "you're not" is a horrible generalization. Have you conversed with every member of this forum? I doubt it. I didn't post on the thread that you started, I don't really know what it said, but I can tell you one thing. Now, I know you're not going to agree with me on this, but Jacksquat is right on the part that presentation really does matter. Sure, often if you shout out profanity in the real world, many people won't mind. However, people on a forum with specific rules, mods, and even a language filter may mind. The forum is not really life, and it can't be treated as such. I don't really know what you did as I didn't read the thread, but that's what I have to say.

I know it's a comforting idea, but you're wrong. I've gotten plenty of messages from folks at this point who've expressed substantially less caustic opinions than myself. They were shouted down. Even in this most recent discussion, I saw people being much more reasonable than myself, like Wolf_Mage, for example. He received the same treatment. Yes, yes - people are going to argue that it's the splatter effect. Or his tone. Or my tone. Or the tone of the person posting before or after him. Or maybe it was the moon. Or someone was just having a bad day. The list of excuses goes on and on and on.

But the fact is, even after I've moderated my tone substantially, I still have to deal with a board moderator coming in and telling people to ignore me, not speak to me, and forgo discussion with me even when I am not violating the rules. That kind of flies in the face of the "We're oh so excepting of people with diverse points of view" argument, wouldn't you say?

I admit, most people here will worship the comic and praise Rich: but is that really such a bad viewpoint? It's as valid as your own.

You're missing the point, here, Sparky. I am NOT the one telling people who disagree with me to leave. I am NOT the one trying to shout down and silence those who like the comic. That's the position and modus operandi of people who agree with you.

Who said that we entertained all views equally? We're a board that has mainly amassed members from an online comic, so of course most of the forumgoers will read and like that online comic. It sounds like you knew you were saying something that would ruffle peoples' feathers. Now, that's fine, and I don't mind that you posted it. But you can't post something like that and expect to not get any negative attention.

I've heard PLENTY of people say that this place entertains all views equally. I just have to PRESENT myself in some particular way, or use a different tone, or stand on my head while typing, or some equal obscure mojo. I don't negative attention at all.

It's YOU folks who don't like negative opinions. You are a case in point.

Once again, a horrid generalization. You yourself said that you got many PMs thanking you for saying what you did.

I know they tell you in college that you aren't allowed to make generalizations. But that's not true. And I'm going to do it if I feel my experience backs up that generalization, so simply saying, "You're making a generalization" is not an actual, substantive argument. It's merely an observation. A generalization can be right, or wrong. But it is not wrong merely for being a generalization.

And while I got many PMs thanking me for what I said, you're still missing the point: those people didn't feel that they could share those comments publicly in the FORUM.

Once again, a horrid generalization ... Did they? Can you say that? Have you talked to every other person who read the comic because they were a gamer? Do you know if they all came for the gamer humor? DnD players can be just like everyone else, and as I've said before, people like different things. Not everyone will agree with you for that, I am sure ... Is that necessarily true? Yes, there is less gaming humor now, but it could just be this specific plot arc, and the gaming humor will return when it is over. You never know. Only Rich can say ... Is that really so bad? Do you have something against running gags? ... You don't come here for deep and profound stories. Others might. You are not being forced to come and read the comic, and if you really have a problem with it you can stop reading it.

Look, kid. I understand that it's VERY important to you to combat what you see as rampant generalizations, whether or not they are true. I know you think I have to talk to every single person who posts on this forum or reads this comic in order to say, "You guys..." and that I should pepper my posts with phrases like "not necessarily" and "even so" and "with a few exceptions" or "of course this doesn't apply to everyone." But that's not my style, okay? And I'm not going to change my style merely because it puts a ripple on the foam of your cappuchino. So just stop, okay?

I understand that your criticism is valid and constructive, but Rich has already said that he will not listen to anyway who asks him to change his comic. No offense to you, but it is a lost cause to change the comic. Others may agree with you, but Rich obviously doesn't, and he's the boss here.

I know he's the boss here. And evidently, for now at least, the boss has decided that I can stay. He isn't concerned about my opinion. Nor should he be.

But the flip side of that is my opinion isn't going to hurt him, or the comic.

Not to be nasty, but anyone with enough intelligence to read OOTS and understand it would be able to get that you aren't one of those people by now.

That was so nasty and inappropriate. I can't believe you said that!

... :D

Let's not pretend that you don't have excuses too.

While I have many blatant, glaring character flaws, making excuses is (thank God) not one of them.

Don't take us seriously, then. You don't have to. But by saying that, you're just making others dislike you more. I'm not saying I dislike you (although you probably hate me), but then again, I'm not "others."

Why would I hate you? I wouldn't even know you if we passed on the street.

And the truth of the matter is that I'm not trying to make anyone like me. I'm tempted to say, "You're making a generalization," too, but that wouldn't be quite as funny as I'd like. But the truth is that certain forms of behavior, while they will not endear you to some, will ACTUALLY make other people like you. Granted, folks like yourself might find my humor distasteful - how you became a reader of the Order of the stick, I'll never know, since this is a comic which has historically used the post-coital pillow talk of dwarves, and a halfling dancing around with the head of a kobold like a hat as humor - but I'm not trying to endear myself to you.

In case you hadn't noticed.

Mattaeu
2006-05-25, 05:52 PM
^

hahaha, thanks for the laugh.
;D

Sneak
2006-05-25, 06:09 PM
This isn't the post you're looking for.

ed
2006-05-25, 06:12 PM
did you just call molonel a troll? i thought that was grounds for mod activity?

ed

Sneak
2006-05-25, 06:31 PM
I didn't call Molonel a troll specifically. I said that the thread reminded me of that pic. Molonel doesn't completely fit the description. But, y'know, with RawBear's comment on not feeding the trolls and all, I thought it was fitting. Ah, well, guess not.

ed
2006-05-25, 06:38 PM
no, you merely implied it so heavily that a tarrasque stepping on a pixie would seem mild by comparison. :>

ed

Sneak
2006-05-25, 06:39 PM
If a tarrasque stepping on a pixie isn't mild, is it spicy?

ed
2006-05-25, 06:40 PM
well, one thing we know for certain: it sure ain't chunky.

ed

Sneak
2006-05-25, 06:40 PM
I concur. More like flat. I guess it can't be salsa. Maybe a pancake?

wolf_mage
2006-05-26, 01:23 AM
Nice thread. Before I start, it's interesting that the debate about the comic itself has ended, and only the debate about the debate about the comic remains.

Here we go.

EDIT2: Thank you Don.

EDIT: Oops, I did miss that. Never mind :).

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-26, 01:43 AM
wolf mage, did you even read this?

If you have a specific concern about warnings, then feel free to PM me or another mod. The rules are clear and layed out well. If we have made a decision that you don't like or understand, you can ask privately, but such a conversation does NOT have to happen publicly particularly not at a time like this.

For pete's sake, let it drop. Everybody.

Midnight Son
2006-05-26, 01:50 AM
wolf mage, did you even read this?

For pete's sake, let it drop. Everybody.Who is this Pete of which you speak and how does one get ahold of his saké?

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-26, 01:55 AM
First off, how did you get an accent on top of that "e"?

Pete is a good buddy of mine. I've known him since grade school, and he makes really good saké.

To everyone who let's the previous subject drop, you get a cup of Pete's saké. :D

*gives Dwarf71 a giant cup of Pete's saké*

EDIT: Thanks for the tip, Dwarf71! :) (added é to saké)

Midnight Son
2006-05-26, 02:00 AM
Shlurp. Yummy.

To get "é" use the ALT key and type 0233. I have a whole list of these somewhere, but that one's memorized.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 04:09 AM
Ah, here is everybody. I was missing you.
I have a request... would you PLEASE STOP the inflated useage of the troll term. It starts to sound like this:

CROWD: Oooh! He said it again! Oooh!...

OFFICIAL: You're only making it worse for yourself!

MATTHIAS: Making it worse?! How could it be worse?! Jehovah! Jehovah! Jehovah!

CROWD: Oooooh!...

OFFICIAL: I'm warning you. If you say 'Jehovah' once more-- [MRS. A. stones OFFICIAL]

Right. Who threw that?

MATTHIAS: [laughing]

[silence]

OFFICIAL: Come on. Who threw that?

CROWD: She did! It was her! He! He. Him. Him. Him. Him. Him. Him.

OFFICIAL: Was it you?

MRS. A.: Yes.

OFFICIAL: Right!

MRS. A.: Well, you did say 'Jehovah'.

CROWD: Ah! Ooooh!...

[CROWD stones MRS. A.]

Sneak
2006-05-26, 07:22 AM
Hmm, really? I didn't know Pete had any saké. I'll have to ask him about it some time, I'd like to try some.

EDIT: Oh, and great movie!

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-26, 09:47 AM
EDIT: Oops, I did miss that. Never mind :).
Here ya go, wolf mage...a giant cup of Pete's SakéTM! *:D

Enjoy!

*gives a cup of Pete's SakéTM to Don Sneak as well*

tee kay one, there is a cup of saké with you name on it as well, but you can't have it yet. *:P

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 12:32 PM
WHY OH WHY ARE YOU SO CRUEL??? I want that sake, too....
Tell me, what does a man have to do here to get his sake?
;D

really, I drank warm sake once. It was like... alcohol, generic alcohol. But than perhaps I'm a barbarian when it comes to japanese culture. All the beer drinking probably spoiled my taste...

EDIT:
my bet (see, I like gambling) is, this thread will be moved again... maybe to "friendly banter" this time. It will be moved and moved again, the undead thread, doomed to wander the forums in unliving condition, funny but neither alife nor dead... **creepy music score**

EDIT 2: I want the "forum aggression" thread back, it was also quite hilarious...

Sneak
2006-05-26, 12:43 PM
*gives a cup of Pete's SakéTM to Don Sneak as well*

Ah, thank you very much. And the name is very appropriate, as my name is Peter/Pete. So it really is Pete's Saké now.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 01:34 PM
To get "é" use the ALT key and type 0233. I have a whole list of these somewhere, but that one's memorized.

I know this is completely off-topic but I've tryed for so long to get those and they NEVER WORK!!!!! >:(

SNEAK ACTUALLY HAS A REAL NAME?! :o ;) ::)

Sneak
2006-05-26, 01:39 PM
SNEAK ACTUALLY HAS A REAL NAME?! :o ;) ::)

Nah. I lied. Mea culpa.

Maelstrom
2006-05-26, 01:43 PM
Going seriously off topic, but in the interest of being neighborly and fulfilling a request from another member on the board...

¤ Alt+0164
† Alt+0134
× Alt+0215
÷ Alt+0247
¶ Alt+0182
‡ Alt+0135
± Alt+0177
— Alt+0151
– Alt+0150
§ Alt+0167
ˆ Alt+0136
˜ Alt+0152
« Alt+0171
» Alt+0187
¦ Alt+0166
‰ Alt+0137
© Alt+0169
® Alt+0174
™ Alt+0153

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

á Alt+0225
à Alt+0224
â Alt+0226 ä Alt+0228
å Alt+0229
Á Alt+0193
à Alt+0195
Ä Alt+0196
Å Alt+0197
À Alt+0192
 Alt+0194
æ Alt+0230
Æ Alt+0198
ç Alt+0231
Ç Alt+0199
ê Alt+0234
é Alt+0233
ë Alt+0235
è Alt+0232
Ê Alt+0202
Ë Alt+0203
É Alt+0201
È Alt+0200
ï Alt+0239 í Alt+0237
î Alt+0238
ì Alt+0236
Í Alt+0205
Ì Alt+0204
Î Alt+0206
Ï Alt+0207
ñ Alt+0241
Ñ Alt+0209
œ Alt+0156
ΠAlt+0140
ô Alt+0244
ö Alt+0246
ò Alt+0242
õ Alt+0245
ó Alt+0243
ø Alt+0248
Ó Alt+0211
Ô Alt+0212
Õ Alt+0213
Ø Alt+0216
Ö Alt+0214 Ò Alt+0210
š Alt+0154
Š Alt+0138
ú Alt+0250
ü Alt+0252
û Alt+0251
ù Alt+0249
Ù Alt+0217
Ú Alt+0218
Ü Alt+0220
Û Alt+0219
ÿ Alt+0255
Ÿ Alt+0159
ý Alt+0253
Ý Alt+0221

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ª Alt+0170
Þ Alt+0222
þ Alt+0254
ƒ Alt+0131
ß Alt+0223
µ Alt+0181 Ð Alt+0208
º Alt+0186
• Alt+0149

(larger bullet)

„ Alt+0132
… Alt+0133
¬ Alt+0172
¿ Alt+0191
¡ Alt+0161
¥ Alt+0165
£ Alt+0163
€ Alt+0128
¢ Alt+0162
¹ Alt+0185
² Alt+0178
³ Alt+0179
½ Alt+0189
¼ Alt+0188
¾ Alt+0190

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 01:44 PM
Awe now I'm all confused as to whether you're really lying or lying to cover up the fact we not know your name. Gotta stay Sneaky. ::)

Maelstrom - none of those work for me. :o

Amotis
2006-05-26, 01:49 PM
They work for me. Thanks 8)
I say we add this to a stick'd thread.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 01:51 PM
They work for me. Thanks 8)
I say we add this to a stick'd thread.

Gah! What I'm I doing wrong. :(

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-26, 02:02 PM
WHY OH WHY ARE YOU SO CRUEL??? I want that sake, too....
Tell me, what does a man have to do here to get his sake?
;D
This is what you have to do...

For pete's sake, let it drop. Everybody.
Since you let it drop on your last post, you have earned your giant cup of Pete's SakéTM! :D

Midnight Son
2006-05-26, 02:04 PM
Gah! What I'm I doing wrong. :(

Are you actually typing the +?

While holding the alt key, type the 4 digits. Should work when you lift off the alt key.(I assume Macs work like this as well)

ßáëÖ *Seems to be working fine here.

Also, here's a web site that has them all listed if you prefer. http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm

NEO|Phyte
2006-05-26, 02:09 PM
Also, make sure you are using your numberpad, the numbers above the letters won't work

Sneak
2006-05-26, 03:09 PM
Well, if you have a mac it's different. All I have to do to get special characters is do Option + any other key. For example: ¡???™£¢?§¶•ªº–?œŒ?„´´®‰†?¥Á¨¨ˆˆøØ??“”‘’»«åÅßÍ?΃ϩ ??Ó?Ô??¬ÒÚƬ…æ?¸??çÇ????˜˜µÂ?¯??÷¿

Ooh, I like the apple symbol one...purty. And Ego Slayer: well, I lied when I said that I lied. I'm such a liar. Mea culpa, yet again.

EDIT: NOOOOO! My pretty symbols! No...most of them got turned into question marks when I posted it. But if you quote my post you'll be able to see what they really look like.
EDIT2: NOOOOO! Quoting doesn't work either. Ah, well, the genius of my incomprehensible, obscure, weird looking symbols shall be known only to me. And that guy who keeps stalking me and looking over my shoulder at my computer screen.

molonel
2006-05-26, 03:26 PM
Do you take advice from someone who is emotional and rash, or from someone who can sit back and see it from other points of view?

It depends on how cute she is.

It is most definetly biased towards the giant, but you have not been banned yet for disagreeing with him. I think I make my point.

You haven't really made a point since my main complaint is with other POSTERS, not with either the mods, or the Giant.

I can say from experiance that a more civilized 'tone' will get you farther in life. I went to a seminar that focused on bettering your chances at getting a job, and I know from experiance that interviewers prefer someone with a more vast and professional vocabulary over someone who can't think of anything better to say than a profane word.

I've known plenty of successful entrepreneurs. Being "polite" doesn't appear to be a necessary component for success, except during those times when you need to kiss up to someone important, or get money. Other than that, manners are for flunkies, and Human Resources personnel.

If you could point it out, I don't remember reading anything, but to be honest I didn't store most of what you said into my memory because of your delivery.

That's okay. Your delivery greases up your posts for a quick exit out the drop shoot of my brain, too.

Who are you, again? And why am I talking to you?

I feel I must point out that there are only so many jokes that can be made about the d20 system before it gets old. You keep trying to imply that those against you do not realize the comic has changed. Anyways, my post is not about you dissing the comic, it's the way you went about it.

Actually, on one small point, you are entirely correct. Evidently, Rich has exhausted his store of D&D/d20 humor. He's not even gaming right now. I think that's too bad, because as a gamer, that's why I came here. If it's just turning into another webcomic about mildly lovable characters boinking each other behind curtains, and fretting about interpersonal relationships, with only vague and repetitive connections to gaming, then I'm gone. I know the internet is mostly a waste of time, but that doesn't mean all wastes of time are created equal.

And no, many of those who disagree with me do NOT appear to notice any significant change. The comics are still drawing 10+ pages of "Rock on! Best comic EVAR!!!!!111" in the five minutes after they are posted, and the bloody harpy screeches accompanying any criticism point to a level of obliviousness that is, quite frankly, mindboggling.

I don't come here for "deep and profound stories" either, rather I come here because I enjoy reading the comic, even though it's getting really slow, I like how it's developing and showing new sides to characters I thought I knew. It helps me see why they do what they do. I enjoy novels that do the same thing.

It's getting real slow?

How interesting. That is EXACTLY what I said when I came here.

I guess I didn't panfry in powdered sugar, or bury it so deep that nobody recognized it for a criticism, or slather it in enough compliments.

Really? I had no idea ::)

I know. I hide it so well.

I never assumed you wanted flies, although your tone is definetly attracting them. No one wants flies, they're annoying and swarming with diseases. But if you think of peoples' attention or opinions as flies, then you certianly seem to want them. That much need not be said.

So I should, instead, adopt a condescending, patronizing tone aimed at repetitive instruction?

You don't seem to realize that your tone is pretty damned annoying, too.

That's a mighty nice shine on that kettle you got there.

I like things straight to the point too, but there are better ways to present it while keeping it plain, maybe serving it with a side of fries, or maybe some unsweetened tea ;)

Or maybe, since I'm obeying the rules of the forum, you should concern yourself with your own affairs, and stop telling me how to approach mine?

It's a novel idea, I know.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't assume things about me, I already stated that those posters needn't worry you. I wasn't as appalled by those responses as I was by your posts for one reason, the place. This is Rich's forum and some people feel as if they need to try to protect him. Every forum I've been to have had these "yes-men" and they have never actually crossed my mind as having a sense of reason, which is what I look for in people.

So be a good dear, and criticize consistently, instead of making up excuses for other people who agree with you, and their behavior. Because so far, your batting record kinda blows.

I have not yet responded in defense of those people, nor do I have any excuses for their behavior other than they know no better than to try and suck up to the owner of the site.

But you also haven't said anything against them, either. Silence says more than you realize. When you criticize people who disagree with you, at length, and let others go, it pretty much shows your criticism must be necessarily bundled with your disagreement.

I'm not inconsistent, I just have yet to reveal my side. And I'd like to know the rest of why you can't take me seriously.

Yeah, you are. But you're certainly not alone.

Like Lilly said. Things are calming down. People who previously didn't feel that they could voice their criticism feel more free to do so. Her choice of word, equilibrium, was quite appropriate. The pendulum shifts. Order is restored.

Sneak
2006-05-26, 03:30 PM
I liked the symbol discussion better...:'(

molonel
2006-05-26, 03:36 PM

I just gave you a wedgie, Don.

Enjoy.

Sneak
2006-05-26, 03:37 PM
I'm enjoying, dammit.

molonel
2006-05-26, 03:40 PM
I'm enjoying, dammit.

That's kind of kinky.

Sneak
2006-05-26, 03:41 PM
Just following orders. I'm so subservient. That's me, Subservient Sneak.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 03:42 PM

I agree with Pete. ::)
Anyone want some more saké?

BooYaa!
*happy dance*

I wasn't useing the numberpad.. heheh

molonel
2006-05-26, 03:42 PM
I agree with Pete. ::)

You enjoy wedgies, too?

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 03:43 PM
I'll pass on that offer, thanks.

molonel
2006-05-26, 03:45 PM
I'll pass on that offer, thanks.

Tease.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 03:46 PM
Fine. ::)

Sneak
2006-05-26, 03:56 PM
How much?

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 03:59 PM
EVERY LAST PENNY YOU HAVE!

Sneak
2006-05-26, 04:01 PM
How do I know which are last ones and which aren't?

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 04:03 PM
Hey I'm trying to be demanding and evil. Don't twist my statements like that!
The shiny ones are last

Sneak
2006-05-26, 04:06 PM
OK. Unfortunately, most of my money is in bills, quarters, dimes, and nickels, and most of my pennies aren't very shiney. So I guess you'll just have to be content with these three pennies I found when Dexterity threw them up.

*hands over three pennies*

And my cat really is named Dexterity. Well, one of them is.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 04:08 PM
SHINY!

[glare] I want more shiny objects... NOW! [glare]

I think we're all gonna get banned for all this off-topic-ness. I wonder how many more pages we can get before mods lock it. ;D

Sneak
2006-05-26, 04:09 PM
Well, if you want shiny objects, I'm sure I can accomodate you. But are you SURE you really want them?

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 04:12 PM
Yes, but you're obviously sneaky and devious so I don't want anything shiny that could possibly lead me to death. In other words, I don't a sharp object, regardless of its Shiny Level, through any part of my body. :P

Sneak
2006-05-26, 04:13 PM
Would you mind a blunt object through your body? I'm sure I have a metal club someone around here...

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 04:17 PM
As long and it's shiny and I get to keep it if I don't die. You get one hit. :P

Sneak
2006-05-26, 04:19 PM
Long, shiny, one hit. Sure. Can it be really, really, hot? I have a branding iron, too.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 04:22 PM
Ok, whatever you want.

Itsn't this ironic. I thought this thread was about "Why can't we all just, like, get along?" ::)

Sneak
2006-05-26, 04:23 PM
So should we sing "Give Peace A Chance" instead?

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 04:24 PM
Sure, ok. You can still hit me with the... whatever you want.

Sneak
2006-05-26, 04:28 PM
Ev'rybody's talkin' 'bout
Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism, Ragism, Tagism
This-ism, that-ism, ism ism ism
All we are saying is give peace a chance

(C'mon)
Minister, Sinister, Banisters and Canisters,
Bishops, Fishops, Rabbis, and Pop Eyes, Bye bye, Bye byes

(Let me tell you now)
Revolution, Evolution, Masturbation, Flagellation, Regulation,
Integrations, mediations, United Nations, congratulations

John and Yoko, Timmy Leary, Rosemary,
Tommy Smothers, Bobby Dylan, Tommy Cooper,
Derek Taylor, Norman Mailer, Alan Ginsberg, Hare Krishna
Hare Hare Krishna

/me pokes Miss +5 Flaming with a branding iron.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 04:38 PM
*OW!*

Thanks. Now what have I gotten branded with? Can I have 666? ::)

Jk.. or am I?

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 06:33 PM
what for christ's sake (oh no, wait)... what the hell is a wedgie? And why are you talking about sticking objects into each others body??? You know, cough, cough, people in this forum tend to be rather SOFT SKINNED... and I don't want this thread dumped and such. Because I think it's awfully funny. And because I STILL DON'T HAVE MY SAKE!

Haha, that one about 666... you know, in the moment I read this I heard a strange song on my mp3 player, from slipknot. When I'm 555, you're... (crowd)... 666!

EDIT: I should stop bitching about that dumped thread and all, I know, I'm such a "grudge bearing" a$$...

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-26, 06:38 PM
I gave you the saké way back on page 5 ! :D

Since you let it drop on your last post, you have earned your giant cup of Pete's SakéTM ! *:D

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 06:45 PM
See? I don't even realize I got Sake. So, what do the japanese make such a fuss about that stuff?

;D ;D

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 06:46 PM
oh, and Toxic, probably asked a thousand times before, but: could you tell me the story behind your (rather cool-ish) avatar-animation?

Sneak
2006-05-26, 06:49 PM
what for christ's sake

Wait, Christ has saké too!? I want some!

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 06:58 PM
yeah, as far as I know Christ's Sake(TM) is very popular in churches, as an substitution for red wine (bah!). Serve rice crackers with it. Hoc est corpus!!

;D

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-26, 07:00 PM
Of course you can have some of Christ's SakéTM ! *:) *Since he's my best buddy and all, he has agreed to sell his saké to me and me alone. *Now I can establish a monopoly on the distribution of saké, and soon I shall rule the world!

Muhahahahah!

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 07:08 PM
for christ's sake, you know that guy called christ that sells christ's sake? Awww... know I'm impressed, oh master of terrible tasting japanese beverage...

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-26, 07:10 PM
tee kay one, do you want the short version or the long version about how I got my dancing avatar?

And on another thought, maybe the title of this thread should be changed to:

Awww, look at how well we're getting along now. :D

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 07:26 PM
the mods will love us, behaving so good... :-X

well, which version do I want? The... most interesting one? Say, the mediocre-long one!

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 07:46 PM
Dang, I'm gonna have to change my name to Pete or Christ. I want my own saké too! Christ might not go over so well.

Awww, look at how well we're getting along now. *:D
PSSH! *Lunges at Toxic with a stabby weapon.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 07:48 PM
For the sake of all that's holy! Stop stabbing him. Your making a mess here in this forum. Get a blunt weapon, much cleaner, much cleaner... **mumble**

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 07:51 PM
*Grabs Sneak's metal club*

Better?

*Rawarrr!*

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 07:54 PM
unless it is a spiked metal club. terribly messy. spilled brain makes even worse stains on the carpet... 8)

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 07:57 PM
We've got carpet in here?!

Well than.. I'd better get the messiest weapon I can find. ;)

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 07:58 PM
which one would that be? A two-handed, mean, ugly battle-axe? A magical unholy razor-blade of unstoppable bleeding?

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 08:00 PM
Mmmm.. the razorblade sounds particularly fun..

;D

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:03 PM
that's what I think every morning. and then I end up like I battled a crazy cat or whatever... **ouch**

NEO|Phyte
which one would that be? A two-handed, mean, ugly battle-axe? A magical unholy razor-blade of unstoppable bleeding?
is it EmoBane?

Sneak
Dang, I'm gonna have to change my name to Pete or Christ. I want my own saké too!

God would work too.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 08:05 PM
God would work too.

DIBS! MINE! BWAAAHAHA! ::)

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:05 PM
did you just change your avatar, Mr. Sneak? Or is this sake I drink here making my head spin?

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 08:09 PM
did you just change your avatar, Mr. Sneak? Or is this sake I drink here making my head spin?

Oh.. everything is just fine. *grin, hands more saké to Tee Kay*

is it EmoBane?

Yes, most definatly. :P

Sneak
2006-05-26, 08:09 PM
Both, I'm guessing.

Oh, and there actually is a member named Jesus (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=viewprofile;username=Jes us) on the boards. No one named God yet though.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 08:12 PM
I really should take that name..

Tee kay.. its not Mr. Sneak. Its Mr. Sneaky Pete. ::)

Sorry, had to say that.

Sneak
2006-05-26, 08:12 PM
Or Mr. Petey Sneak?

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:14 PM
Jesus reads OotS? WOW. Does the Giant know that? I mean, wow, do they have DSL up in heaven or what? Does he complain about schedules? Is he one of the fanboys?

Sneak
2006-05-26, 08:15 PM
I dunno. He is only 14 though, so maybe he's Jesus, Jr.?

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 08:17 PM
Or Mr. Petey Sneak?

OR BOTH! *burst of insight*

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:17 PM
why for ... (NOOOO) ... would anyone take such a ****ty forum name. I mean, Jesus, what for ... (AGH)... does he want to tell us? Jesus. Oh my...

EDIT: i swear i did not write spoonty. I used the faeces word. That forum is so... **shakes head**

Sneak
2006-05-26, 08:18 PM
OR BOTH! *burst of insight*

What the hell? Mr. Sneaky Petey Sneak Pete?

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:19 PM
What the hell? Mr. Sneaky Petey Sneak Pete?

Ugh. May I call you just Don in that case. Hi Don, I'm tee_

NEO|Phyte
2006-05-26, 08:20 PM
On the subject of jesus... (http://blockjesus.ytmnd.com/)

Sneak
2006-05-26, 08:21 PM
Tee_? How the hell is _ even pronounced? Is it like a dramatic pause or something?

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:22 PM
On the subject of jesus... (http://blockjesus.ytmnd.com/)

he. bizarre. most bizarre.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:25 PM
Tee_? How the hell is _ even pronounced? Is it like a dramatic pause or something?

it's like the sound someone makes when being hit on the head, way back in your throat. Try: Tee**gasp**...

Sneak
2006-05-26, 08:27 PM
If you chant your name over and over and over again will you hyperventilate?

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:29 PM
If you chant your name over and over and over again will you hyperventilate?

I try to avoid it. But it gives me a tremendous ego-boost. Especially all cut up in front of the mirror after a duel, me against the razor... :P

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 08:33 PM
I try to avoid it. But it gives me a tremendous ego-boost. Especially all cut up in front of the mirror after a duel, me against the razor... :P

Ooh ego slaying time!!
Duels are fun.. heheh
I'm gonna be sad when the mods lock this after looking at it and thinking "W..T..F..!?" So far we've covered trolling, symbols, Sneak's name, sake, saké, killing each other, shiny things, sharp things, emos, egos and the pronouncation of _!

*phew!*

Well, I've got to go. It'll probably be gone by the time I get back. *Sniff* I love you all! *cry* Bye thread.. *hugs thread*

Ok I'll cut the dramatic crap.. ::)

Wait, they CAN'T lock this. We've getting along just like the title says to. ;)

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:37 PM
I'm gonna be sad when the mods lock this after looking at it and thinking "W..T..F..!?" So far we've covered trolling, symbols, Sneak's name, sake, saké, killing each other, shiny things, sharp things, emos, egos and the pronouncation of _!

*phew!*

Yeah, I think WTF is exactly what they'll think. And fail to see the beauty of this thread.
I think we should just keep on going until it happens, we can't do anything. Ooooh, this feels so end-of-time. I want to hug someone. I don't want this thread die and me alone and all...
**dramatic music**

Sneak
2006-05-26, 08:38 PM
Heh...your name could be read in different ways.
[+5 Flaming Ego][Slayer of Doom]
[+5 Flaming][Ego Slayer of Doom]
[+5][Flaming Ego Slayer of Doom]

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:47 PM
I think he really left. A shame.

What next?

Sneak
2006-05-26, 08:48 PM
You mean...she?

tee_kay_one
2006-05-26, 08:50 PM
dang!
**blushes**
Can I blame it on the sake?

Ego Slayer
2006-05-26, 10:42 PM
I want to hug someone.

You can hug me if you want. I'm all for hugging little, demonic, red things. :P

Heh...your name could be read in different ways.
[+5 Flaming Ego][Slayer of Doom]
[+5 Flaming][Ego Slayer of Doom]
[+5][Flaming Ego Slayer of Doom]

Thank you for that oh Great Sneak. http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/425/sarcasticclap0qv.gif

;)

LOLZ! I was just scanning the list of members on and Jesus is here!.. I figured he was one of those newbs who get like 37 posts before leaving. o.O

SNEAK! Now that I know you're looking at this thread.. This has bugged the heck out of my since like... forever. How old are you? before I go insane.. lol
*feels a lie coming on* ::)

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-27, 12:31 AM
oh, and Toxic, probably asked a thousand times before, but: could you tell me the story behind your (rather cool-ish) avatar-animation?
Here's the quick rundown:

It started when another poster was using it for his avatar, as a joke, really. He said that he was going to drop it when he was tired of it, so I asked him if I could use it after he was done. He didn't care, and it wasn't his original work anyway. (we didn't see a copyright on the avy, so no worries there) I changed the colors a bit, so it would match an ex-character of mine. (who really likes to dance) And there we are.

And here are more details, if you care to look: Linkity-link (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=banter;action=display;num=1145430547 ;start=353#353)

EDIT:

PSSH! *Lunges at Toxic with a stabby weapon.

Hey, Ego Slayer. Come here for a sec, I have something for you...

*STAB*
*SLASH*
*SMASH*

;D

tee_kay_one
2006-05-27, 03:20 AM
General / Silly Message Board Games / Re: Penguin Tower[town] May 26th, 2006, 10:44pm
An old and somewhat twitchily man walks up to the gate and says nothing. however, his robe bulges in strange places and poking out of the edge of his cloak what apears to be the end of a rocket launcher.

HEAR! HEAR! THESE ARE THE WORDS OF JESUS...

Did you know there is also a member named "JesusChrist" here on these forums? Might he be the same person? Maybe he invaded the forum... ;D

quoting "flamey": You can hug me if you want. I'm all for hugging little, demonic, red things.
Oh, nice. But I'll probabyl fall asleep instantly. Have only slept for 4 hours and now it' morning again (damn you, timezone) and I have to go to work... oh, you folks are really funny. You keep stabbin each other while I'm off in the office. When I'm back I'll join ;D
Just be careful with the carpet...

Ego Slayer
2006-05-27, 07:03 AM
The thread is still here!!! *gives thread a big slobbery kiss*
Oh uhm.. it's ok if you fall asleep tee kay.. then I'll just have you right there, oblivious and doomed to be stabbed. :P

Sneak
2006-05-27, 07:18 AM
SNEAK! Now that I know you're looking at this thread.. This has bugged the heck out of my since like... forever. How old are you? before I go insane.. lol
*feels a lie coming on* ::)

I like to keep my mystique. It really depends how you look at it: I could be a child prodigy, older than the oldest greasy dirt on the bottom of the floor in the movie theater, or somewhere in between. It really depends which you prefer.

Ego Slayer
2006-05-27, 07:21 AM
I like to keep my mystique. It really depends how you look at it: I could be a child prodigy, older than the oldest greasy dirt on the bottom of the floor in the movie theater, or somewhere in between. It really depends which you prefer.

Wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for.. this will still bug me. But, ok. >_< :P

Sneak
2006-05-27, 07:22 AM
The answer you're looking for is not on the outside, but within yourself. Search yourself, and find the answer that you know to be true. For there is nothing more than the journey. The journey is the destination.

Blue wallabies sleep under a full moon.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-27, 07:24 AM
Oh uhm.. it's ok if you fall asleep tee kay.. then I'll just have you right there, oblivious and doomed to be stabbed. :P

You are a dangerous person, luring me into a hug and than... STAB! Ouch!
Oh, it`s so dang boring here in the lab where I am right now... good that this thread is still alive...

Ego Slayer
2006-05-27, 07:27 AM
The answer you're looking for is not on the outside, but within yourself. Search yourself, and find the answer that you know to be true. For there is nothing more than the journey. The journey is the destination.

Well.. most of me is just one be lie so-- Hey, wait! That actually works. ::)

Still not the answer I want..
I dunno PM it to me! Or else it'll drive me to insanity and They can blame it on you.

You are a dangerous person, luring me into a hug and than... STAB! Ouch!
Oh, it`s so dang boring here in the lab where I am right now... good that this thread is still alive...

Oh yes I am dangerous.. Rawrr!
No, really the stabbing thing was a secondary though.

*sigh, strokes thread* I'm leaving now and won't be back until late afternoon.. poor thread is going to get locked and die alone without me. *cry*

;D

tee_kay_one
2006-05-27, 09:11 AM
poor thread is going to get locked and die alone without me. *cry*

;D

not when I can do anything against it. I will stand I fight... if I manage to not fall asleep at my desk.

molonel
2006-05-27, 12:54 PM
Nice. You guys are going to talk this thread to death.

Sneak
2006-05-27, 01:04 PM
I dunno, it's better than flaming it to death.

molonel
2006-05-27, 01:48 PM
I dunno, it's better than flaming it to death.

Hey, it's your time to waste.

Enjoy.

ed
2006-05-28, 10:10 AM
molonel, i think it's just postcount whoring. :>

ed

Sneak
2006-05-28, 10:29 AM
Have you already ruled out the option of "fun?"

molonel
2006-05-29, 04:26 PM
molonel, i think it's just postcount whoring. :>

Remeber back when we actually had to get over that?

Oh wait. You never did.

... :D

tee_kay_one
2006-05-29, 06:17 PM
postcount whoring? Didn't you know that Billy Gates donates $1 for charity for every post in this thread? Post, for anyone's sake, post as hard as your keyboard allows...

okok, it's hoax. He only donates one cent... ;D

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-29, 06:42 PM
for anyone's sake, post as hard as your keyboard allows...

What the...

You mean to say that anyone can have their own brand of saké now? This is terrible news! My monopolistic empire is about to collapse! Curse you! Curse you, I say!

:P

tee_kay_one
2006-05-29, 06:43 PM
since I consider this a board issue and it is about getting along (and INT is my dump stat), I'll post this here. Look, folks, I found a real gem:

While I don't have time to read this thread, I get the impression that at least one person has violated the Rules here. (...) So I'm locking it, and it will be reviewed later for rules violations.

May I translate? I'd say this reads: "freeze, this is the police!!! We don't know who you are, but we are somehow sure you are all criminals! ALL CRIMINALS... **mindless laughter**

He... he... getting along... oh yes...

molonel
2006-05-30, 03:21 AM
He... he... getting along... oh yes...

It's okay, man. Not everyone can be funny all the time.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 03:42 AM
It's okay, man. Not everyone can be funny all the time.

true. so true.

molonel
2006-05-30, 04:04 AM
true. so true.

Of course, it would help matters tremendously if you could manage to be funny ONCE, and offset the other side of the scale ....

( ;) )

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 04:13 AM
Of course, it would help matters tremendously if you could manage to be funny ONCE, and offset the other side of the scale ....

( ;) )

Still working on it. Maybe it was a wrong decision when I chose you as my role-model...

( ;D )

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-30, 04:19 AM
*sits down with a big bag of popcorn, hoping to see a good show*

Oh, that's right, we're getting along now. That's no fun. :P

*grumbles, then stands back up and walks away while the bag of popcorn spills all over the floor*

molonel
2006-05-30, 04:26 AM
Still working on it. Maybe it was a wrong decision when I chose you as my role-model...

( ;D )

Me? I'm never funny. I just stand here looking good.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-30, 04:27 AM
I have noticed the boards crumbling into a pit of flames.

I've been doing it quite a bit myself because I'm rather reactionary, I tend to flame right back at people who flame.

I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

I honestly don't think there's a way to stop the process though. With certain folk floating about who love it so much, it'll just keep getting worse.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 04:31 AM

I've been doing it quite a bit myself because I'm rather reactionary, I tend to flame right back at people who flame.

I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

I honestly don't think there's a way to stop the process though. With certain folk floating about who love it so much, it'll just keep getting worse.

"worse" is in the eye of the beholder, I say! I myself have been enlightened and now accept my cowardly-lion state of mind. Flaming is not that bad... you can grill brain sausages on all the flamey post and actually have fun...

oh, molonel: that looking good part is hopeless for me, I don't have the looks, I'm more the inner values type of guy... ;D

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-30, 04:39 AM
It is fun, yes, but it can also scare off new posters and new fans, which can lead to the "idea pool" getting a bit stagnant over in the d20 games area.

molonel
2006-05-30, 04:40 AM

If by "crumbling into a pit of flames" you mean that there are two or three threads where people are NOT pewling endless about the comic, and doing the internet equivalent of sitting in the back row of the classroom punching each other on the arm, then yes.

If you mean REAL internet flaming, then I might suggest you wouldn't know a flame if it licked up, and singed your prodigious ninja tush.

I think you're being much too hard on yourself. You haven't said anything offensive, or even provocative.

Internet dire prediction warning #2,319,297.

Accuracy rating so far? Nearly zero.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-30, 04:45 AM
Meh actually in terms of being "hard on myself" most of my flaming took place in the D20 games forum, lots of angry people.

And I don't know about the comic section, but the D20 section has been really grrr lately. Between the "Is Psionics Unpopular Thread" turning into a big roast, and several other threads getting generically out of hand, it's just less pleasant than it was.

And I do know what a genuine flame is, I'm a "net-veteran" perhaps is the best term for it. I just let them roll off me, doesn't mean I don't notice them.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 04:47 AM
It is fun, yes, but it can also scare off new posters and new fans, which can lead to the "idea pool" getting a bit stagnant over in the d20 games area.

come on, with that thousands of forum members and counting, it is just a little static in the channel. evolution and ecology rules apply here... a niche for every strategy of survival.
idea pool stagnant? no, i think really unique ideas come up when people have wild discussions and, yes, arguments. repeating "aww, it's so good" over and over again does not help.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-30, 04:48 AM
come on, with that thousands of forum members and counting, it is just a little static in the channel. evolution and ecology rules apply here... a niche for every strategy of survival.
idea pool stagnant? no, i think really unique ideas come up when people have wild discussions and, yes, arguments. repeating "aww, it's so good" over and over again does not help.

Meh the benefits vs. costs of constructive and harsh criticism can be argued but generally angry people makes angry boards. Perhaps I'm over reacting but meh, it's the internet, it's all about exaggerated emotions.

(Crap...I've got work in 3 hours...)

molonel
2006-05-30, 04:51 AM
Meh actually in terms of being "hard on myself" most of my flaming took place in the D20 games forum, lots of angry people. And I don't know about the comic section, but the D20 section has been really grrr lately. Between the "Is Psionics Unpopular Thread" turning into a big roast, and several other threads getting generically out of hand, it's just less pleasant than it was.

You registered in August 2005, Sparky. Isn't it a little early to be waxing nostalgic?

And I do know what a genuine flame is, I'm a "net-veteran" perhaps is the best term for it. I just let them roll off me, doesn't mean I don't notice them.

N arg irgrena, ru? Qb lbh erzrzore gur byq hfrarg synzrjnef?

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-30, 04:53 AM
I get it molonel, you're more of a net-vet than me :P

As for "waxing nostalgic" Does it take being around for over a year to notice a bit of a decline in general attitude? I lurked for a lot longer than that. (Lurk...lurk...)

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 04:53 AM
N arg irgrena, ru? Qb lbh erzrzore gur byq hfrarg synzrjnef?

oh no molonel, is that a bump on your head?

molonel
2006-05-30, 05:02 AM
oh no molonel, is that a bump on your head?

In the old Usenet flamewars, when you wanted to say something REALLY offensive, you dumped it into a simple ROT-13 encryption scheme. Ergo, reading it becomes a personal choice.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 05:04 AM
aww, I totally knew that of course... ;D

molonel
2006-05-30, 05:08 AM
aww, I totally knew that of course... ;D

Fher lbh qvq, xabo-cbyvfure.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-30, 05:11 AM
Well now it's not too sneaky since we can both go to the decryptor/encryptor and do the same. Lost a bit of it's novelty.

molonel
2006-05-30, 05:14 AM
Well now it's not too sneaky since we can both go to the decryptor/encryptor and do the same. Lost a bit of it's novelty.

Yeah, jeez, the joke has been around ... like, almost NINE MINUTES, now.

ROT-13 is, like, sooo ten minutes ago.

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 05:24 AM
Fher lbh qvq, xabo-cbyvfure.

XABO-CBYVFURE... V UNIR ZL TVEYSEVRAQ QB GUNG SBE ZR... GRURUR

GRURURU is kinda cool, eh? even better than gvgvgv...

EDIT: i tend to delete this embarassing post of mine, but then again... static, only static...

Corylus
2006-05-30, 07:04 AM
Very funny guys...

Sneak
2006-05-30, 07:21 AM
"Yeah, 'cause sick people are hi-larious."

EDIT: And don't get all "I'm-a-gonna-beat-choo-witha-stick-now," because that was just a quote from Jayne.

ed
2006-05-30, 08:19 AM
molonel quoth
remeber back when we actually had to get over that? oh wait. you never did.
bah; i'm just more opinionated than you are. the difference, sir, is that for me, diplomacy isn't a cross-class skill. :p

ed

molonel
2006-05-30, 01:42 PM
XABO-CBYVFURE... V UNIR ZL TVEYSEVRAQ QB GUNG SBE ZR... GRURUR

Qba'g lbh zrna lbhe oblsevraq?

GRURURU is kinda cool, eh? even better than gvgvgv...

As an encryption scheme, it comes up with some cool combinations.

http://www.furrfu.org/rot13words.html

Abba -> noon
abjurer -> nowhere
ah -> nu
ant -> nag
balk -> onyx
bar -> one
be -> or
clerk -> Pyrex
crag -> pent
ebbs -> roof
eng -> rat
envy -> rail
errs -> reef
faber -> snore
fur -> she
gel -> try
gnat -> tang
green -> terra
ink -> Vax
irk -> vex
Junes -> wharf
Jura -> when

Words that rot13 into their reverse

an -> na
fans -> snaf
gnat -> tang
ravine -> enivar
re -> er
robe -> ebor
serf -> fres
thug -> guht

EDIT: i tend to delete this embarassing post of mine, but then again... static, only static...

Aw, don't do that!

tee_kay_one
2006-05-30, 03:31 PM
Qba'g lbh zrna lbhe oblsevraq?

hehe, classic. I absolutely didn't expect that (beep, makes the sarcasm detector).
wait... that was insulting... hehehe, that even makes it better.
Molonel, I think I like you... **gives you strange look*
Maybe we should schedule a RL meeting... **makes cooing sounds**

afraid already?

8)

Murky_Pool
2006-06-02, 08:54 AM
I don't know about him, but you're scaring me.

What we've got here is 2 guys speaking a foreign language, then one suddenly starts cooing at the other.....

TinSoldier
2006-06-02, 10:03 AM
I don't know about him, but you're scaring me.

What we've got here is 2 guys speaking a foreign language, then one suddenly starts cooing at the other.....Well, they're getting along aren't they ? (See thread title ;D )

molonel
2006-06-02, 08:20 PM
Well, they're getting along aren't they ? (See thread title ;D )

That's right! What's wrong with a little openly-displayed man-love between gamers? I thought we were supposed to get along, around here?

Toxic Avenger
2006-06-02, 08:29 PM
We are getting along now. I think part of that might be because most of us are getting used to your unique form of sarcasm, molonel.

Although when being truly sarcastic, it does help to use smileys. (hint hint) :)

tee_kay_one
2006-06-02, 09:19 PM
Although when being truly sarcastic, it does help to use smileys. (hint hint) :)

I beg to differ. When truely being sarcastic, there's no better way to spoil the fun than those yellow round thingies. People actually are intelligent enough to spot irony. Right? Right!

edit: ah, and I wanted to add: unique form of sarcasm indeed, refreshing anyway.

molonel
2006-06-03, 03:20 AM
We are getting along now. I think part of that might be because most of us are getting used to your unique form of sarcasm, molonel.

As long as I can get some overly-sensitive weenie to whine about me being a troll once in a while, I'm happy. If ya'll get too comfortable, though, I might have to dial up the snark.

You'll notice I never use smileys. Hint hint.

I beg to differ. When truely being sarcastic, there's no better way to spoil the fun than those yellow round thingies. People actually are intelligent enough to spot irony. Right? Right!

On these forums? I think I'll answer that with a resounding, "Not just no, but HELL no!"

Besides, smilies are like stage directions for retards:

"By the way, retard: just kidding!"
"Oh, and in case you didn't notice, that was a JOKE, you idiot!"
"I'm smiling ... cause I'm stupid!"
"This is my sad face!"
"This is me rolling my eyes!"

Naturally, of course, there are no retards on this forum, and no retards were harmed in the making of this post.

You want me to use smilies? Yeah, thanks. I'll pass. If you have any questions about a particular post, please feel free to send me a private message, and I will give your message all the thoughtful consideration and attention which it deserves.

Toxic Avenger
2006-06-03, 03:33 AM
Better dial up the snark then, because I'm getting too comfortable.

Uh, yeah, I had noticed that you don't use smilies. (hint hint) Not that I care that you don't, because as I said before, I can already see the sarcasm and irony when you use it. (which just happens to be most of the time) I was just offering that up as an option, because there are many in this world who have a hard time spotting sarcasm in writing.

And I think I'll pass on sending you a private message.

(No smilies were exploited, used, harmed, maimed, mutilated, or killed in this post.)

Sneak
2006-06-03, 09:57 AM
You'll notice I never use smileys. Hint hint.

I guess you're just not a smiley kind of guy.

tee_kay_one
2006-06-03, 10:33 AM
I don't want to talk this topic to death, but one more thing: I firmly believe that smilies actually make things worse. From the guy who thinks he can get away with the ugliest insults ("I put a smiley, didn't I?") to the folks who most of the time post only smilies (probably because they are illiterate)... I don't think I like it. Like many things, it was a good idea, surrogate for the lack of facial expression etc... but it got spoiled. The internet again, hm?

Sneak
2006-06-03, 10:35 AM
I don't want to talk this topic to death

Too late. It's dead. Can you pay for the funeral?

tee_kay_one
2006-06-03, 10:40 AM
Too late. It's dead. Can you pay for the funeral?

Aw, man. Another topic killed. I'm a cursed soul.
**wipes blood from hands**

Alchemistmerlin
2006-06-03, 08:47 PM
Aw, man. Another topic killed. I'm a cursed soul.
**wipes blood from hands**

Damn it,

It's dead Jim.

Roland St. Jude
2006-06-03, 10:17 PM
Damn it,

It's dead Jim.

It's worse than that Jim; its brain is gone!

LadyGlutter
2006-06-03, 11:51 PM
Must... resist....

Can't!

"It's worse than that, it's physics, Jim!"

molonel
2006-06-04, 03:03 AM
Better dial up the snark then, because I'm getting too comfortable.

I'm afraid you have to argue with me about something, you oaf. I need material to work with. I know I make this look easy, but you can't make something out of nothing.

You could join us over in the Miko/Blackguard thread in the comics section. I'm running out of moving targets over there.

I was just offering that up as an option, because there are many in this world who have a hard time spotting sarcasm in writing.

So I should use smilies because not everyone is as smart or observant as you are?

And I think I'll pass on sending you a private message.

Damn. Not even if I send you a picture of myself?

tee_kay_one
2006-06-04, 03:28 AM
aww, you lucky bas$"%%&... he never offered me to send private pictures. Now my jealousy on fire!
Tehehe.

In other news, the Miko vs Blackguard thread is really worth reading. It reads like a fight of a high level barbarian swinging a huge battle-axe vs a horde of lowly goblins **giggle**

Sneak
2006-06-04, 09:30 AM
The question is, who's the barbarian?

tee_kay_one
2006-06-04, 03:12 PM
The question is, who's the barbarian?

the barbarian is the guy with the biggest... axe. What did you think? ;D

Sneak
2006-06-04, 05:32 PM
Wait, I think? News to me.

Ego Slayer
2006-06-04, 06:07 PM
What's with the avie Sneak? It's all.. half-and-half. Reminds me the prince of persia from the Two Thrones. :P

Sneak
2006-06-04, 06:15 PM
Half and half? I am NOT cream, thank you very much!

Ego Slayer
2006-06-04, 07:26 PM
Well, you could be if I put you in a blender. ;D
Wanna try it?

Sneak
2006-06-04, 07:27 PM
Will you pay me?

Ego Slayer
2006-06-04, 07:40 PM
Mmm... Cream of Sneak. *hands Sneak 100 gold coins with the head of Ego Slayer on one side*

Sneak
2006-06-04, 07:46 PM
Fine. But I'd better taste good when you're done.

Samiam303
2006-06-04, 10:04 PM
the barbarian is the guy with the biggest... axe. What did you think? ;D
It may not be an axe, but I think my avvie wins. :P

Yes, I know that's not what you meant... ::) ;) :P

Sneak
2006-06-04, 10:18 PM
So Samiam has the biggest sword of everyone on the boards?

Murky_Pool
2006-06-05, 07:27 AM
Nah, that sword is a one hander, just look at the picture.

A properly big one needs 2 hands

Alchemistmerlin
2006-06-05, 10:25 AM

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/409/twohandedsword3zx.png

A sword with 2 hands ;D

God...that was a lot of work for a pun.

tee_kay_one
2006-06-05, 10:35 AM
Alchemistmerlin, that was really funny. cool graphical pun. Made me laugh out loud...

Ah, by the way: it's not the size of the sword that counts... it's the critical hit, that kills... ;D

Ego Slayer
2006-06-05, 01:35 PM
*grin*
*Grabs Sneak, stuffs him into a large blender and adds some ice cream and a bit of chocolate sauce*
*puts the blender on 'high'*

Hope there isn't too much fur in this.. anyone want a glass? ;D

tee_kay_one
2006-06-05, 04:14 PM
cat juice. that's an ALF http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALF_%28TV_series%29 reference, right?
melmacian hick-up, anyone?

btw: episode #2.8 is the one with the hickup, if i remember correctly. ah, great moments of my television childhood

tape_measure
2006-06-05, 05:47 PM
now, see? Why cant they reproduce good shows like ALF? Good wholesome family-fun....

Samiam303
2006-06-06, 12:44 AM

Actually, it IS supposed to be two-handed... Blame it on Sneak. He drew it. :P

Looking at your statement, you realize that REALLY could be taken wrong... ::) :P ;D

Sneak
2006-06-06, 07:31 AM
So then Samiam DOES have the biggest sword in the playground?

:o

Jack Squat
2006-06-06, 08:13 AM
No, he just likes to show his off ;)

Murky_Pool
2006-06-06, 10:14 AM
Actually, it IS supposed to be two-handed... Blame it on Sneak. He drew it. :P

Looking at your statement, you realize that REALLY could be taken wrong... ::) :P ;D

It was supposed to be a double (handed) entendre, although I did like the sword with 2 hands picture by Alchemist. That was a classy reply.

Samiam303
2006-06-06, 11:47 AM
So then Samiam DOES have the biggest sword in the playground?

:o
And you shall be known forever as the man who drew it. ;) :P

Alchemistmerlin
2006-06-06, 12:44 PM
It was supposed to be a double (handed) entendre, although I did like the sword with 2 hands picture by Alchemist. That was a classy reply.

Thanks ;D