PDA

View Full Version : Dashing Swordsman - by RAW

Thurbane
2008-09-04, 09:13 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering how you'd suggest replicating the Dashing Swordsman PrC of OotS fame, using only WotC material (i.e., no home brew).

I'm not particularly good at builds, but the following spring to mind: Bard, Swashbuckler, Duelist, Goad, Improved Feint...

AstralFire
2008-09-04, 09:19 PM
First thing that springs to mind is a Warblade picking up Able Learner and a few levels of a class like Rogue. Goad, is, of course, necessary. Feinting can be well represented by maneuvers. I would also get the PHB II feat that lets you intimidate on a standard action melee attack, which I think represents well the bad puns. Contest of Wills usage of intimidate from ToB works great for the opening pun.

That works exactly the same way but less good with Fighter whatever and some ranks in Swashbuckler and that feat from C. Scoundrel that stacks Swash and Fighter. Contest of Wills and Intimidating Strike for everyone.

(Stop or I'll pun!)

Grynning
2008-09-04, 09:21 PM
The problem is that Warblade and Swashbuckler both require a decent amount of Int, and we all know that's Elan's dump stat.

I don't really think there are any published classes that do what the Dashing Swordsman supposedly does, which is supplement your melee abilities with your Charisma modifier.

AstralFire
2008-09-04, 09:22 PM
The problem is that Warblade and Swashbuckler both require a decent amount of Int, and we all know that's Elan's dump stat.

I don't really think there are any published classes that do what the Dashing Swordsman supposedly does, which is supplement your melee abilities with your Charisma modifier.

Bard 1/Monk whatever/and I know there's some way to get Cha to Damage? Some elven PrC as I recall? Grab the Ascetic Mage feat from CAdv. Get Enlightened Fist instead, maybe, and take that feat from Eberron that lets your Flurry with a Longsword.

Kyeudo
2008-09-04, 09:24 PM
Snowflake Wardance is a feat from Frostburn that replicates the Dashing Swordsman's chief class feature, which is Charisma to your melee abilities.

Grynning
2008-09-04, 09:25 PM
Where's that X Stat to Y bonus table people are always linking?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-04, 09:26 PM
Where's that X Stat to Y bonus table people are always linking?Ask and Thou shalt receive, from mine own hand.

Your Reward. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=320889)

Grynning
2008-09-04, 09:35 PM
Ok, so looking at that table, a Bard with snowflake wardance, a dip in Battle Dancer or Monk (with the Ascetic Mage feat) for the AC bonus, and maybe Paladin or Crusader would come close to replicating the abilities that Elan displays.

Edit: This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) looks like a 3rd edition class, and it's online only (maybe it's what eventually mutated into the Swiftblade), but it's pretty good in terms of power level and abilities (not from an optimization standpoint, but rather from a "doing what Elan does" standpoint).

Jalor
2008-09-04, 09:39 PM
In 4e, the Rogue gets an at-will power called Sly Flourish which lets them add their Cha bonus to damage.

mikethepoor
2008-09-04, 09:43 PM
In 4e, the Rogue gets an at-will power called Sly Flourish which lets them add their Cha bonus to damage.

That we do. Works damned well, too!

Thurbane
2008-09-05, 02:18 AM
How about some levels of Marshal? The Marshal's minor auras can add CHA to damage when flanking or charging (for the character + allies)...

Blackfang108
2008-09-05, 02:24 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering how you'd suggest replicating the Dashing Swordsman PrC of OotS fame, using only WotC material (i.e., no home brew).

IIRC, wasn't it explicitly stated to be a third-party class?

I'm fairly sure it doesn't really exist, but we should at least allow for third party sourcebooks as well, that being the case.

AstralFire
2008-09-05, 02:31 PM

I'm fairly sure it doesn't really exist, but we should at least allow for third party sourcebooks as well, that being the case.

Honestly, the easiest solution is a tiny bit of Homebrew: Swordsage, Warblade or Swashbuckler powered by Cha. You're swapping for a generally lesser stat so I really can't see many people complaining.

hotel_papa
2008-09-05, 04:44 PM
Flavoring the hexblade with a pair of hexbands might work. They are in MiC, and allow you to 5/day add your cha to your damage for one round against anyone you've successfully cursed. That requires no more homebrew than a bit of refluff (i.e. a successfully bad pun is debilitating like a curse)

HP

Flickerdart
2008-09-05, 05:34 PM

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dashing_Swordsman_(DnD_Prestige_Class)

Enjoy. XD Homebrewed by the D&DWiki people.

Thurbane
2008-09-05, 09:02 PM
Well, in the homebrew stakes, I actually prefer this version: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29882