PDA

View Full Version : The Sapphire Guard Finished? Yeah right.

Alex Warlorn
2008-09-04, 10:28 PM
"In having survived, Yoda and Obi-Wan aren't exceptions to the rule. I'm certain that dozens of Jedi escaped with their lives, and in due time you will have the pleasure of killing many of them. But of greater importance is the fact that their order has been crushed. Finished, Lord Vader. Do I make myself clear?"
―Palpatine to Vader

Red Cloak after the city was taken took great pleasure in saying how the Sapphire Guard was finished, done, ka-put, never again. And now I can't help but think the Sith thought the same thing of the Jedi after Order 66.

Also, Redcloak sees, and in his heart thinks of, the Sapphire Guard only as a Anti-Goblin hate group, using the guarding of the Sapphire as justification for their genocide. So he doesn't even really understand what the Guard was, is, and it's nature.

chiasaur11
2008-09-04, 11:27 PM
Well, in addition to the four we already know of, some other guys were out of town and probably warned.

Might be able to help at some point.

Lord_Butters_I
2008-09-05, 12:28 AM
To continue the star wars metaphor, Hinjo could and assuredly will at least attempt to reform the order by seeking out new force sensitives paladins to serve in the new Sapphire Corps. (can't really call it a guard anymore)

Connington
2008-09-05, 12:46 AM
^Which makes you wonder what sort of paladins Hingo is looking for.

factotum
2008-09-05, 02:17 AM
^Which makes you wonder what sort of paladins Hingo is looking for.

I wasn't aware there was more than one kind--or do you mean in terms of personality? (Don't think he'd want another Miko in the ranks if he could help it).

LuisDantas
2008-09-05, 05:37 AM
Then again, I don't think anyone wanted a Miko-type Paladin to begin with. But the signs of trouble ahead probably only showed when it was too late already.

Connington
2008-09-05, 05:43 AM
I wasn't aware there was more than one kind--or do you mean in terms of personality? (Don't think he'd want another Miko in the ranks if he could help it).

Yeah. I'm wondering if he'll be looking for less Miko like recruits, and how much personal involvement he'll take upon himself.

Kaihaku
2008-09-05, 05:58 AM
Red Cloak after the city was taken took great pleasure in saying how the Sapphire Guard was finished, done, ka-put, never again. And now I can't help but think the Sith thought the same thing of the Jedi after Order 66.

The Sapphire Guard has an advantage that the Jedi lacked in cheap relatively easy resurrection. Sure, they can be back. In fact, I bet a properly worded Miracle to the right deities would result in a timely mass resurrection.

NerfTW
2008-09-05, 07:03 AM
Also, Redcloak sees, and in his heart thinks of, the Sapphire Guard only as a Anti-Goblin hate group, using the guarding of the Sapphire as justification for their genocide. So he doesn't even really understand what the Guard was, is, and it's nature.

No, Redcloak is very aware of the Sapphire Guard's purpose. He would have to be an idiot not to notice them alone guarding the gate room, Soon's ghost, and his whole interrogation of O'chul about the other gate's defenses.

Lamech
2008-09-05, 07:37 AM
"In having survived, Yoda and Obi-Wan aren't exceptions to the rule. I'm certain that dozens of Jedi escaped with their lives, and in due time you will have the pleasure of killing many of them. But of greater importance is the fact that their order has been crushed. Finished, Lord Vader. Do I make myself clear?"
―Palpatine to Vader

This contains a SoD referance
As an order the sapphire guard is all but finished. They are scattered, there are three paladins we know of. There are probably a few more scattered across the globe, but they have no leader. Secondly there only real purpose was sapphire protecting; they failed; so unless they have an epic divine and an epic arcane caster lying around, they have nothing to gaurd. They are purposeless.

NerfTW
2008-09-05, 08:00 AM
Hinjo can still make the decision to ask them to break thier oath for the good of reality, seeing as how they now know of a direct threat to the other gates. Plus, they still need to recapture Azure City.

Second, there are four paladins we know of. O'chul, Hinjo, Lein, and Thanh.. And both O'chul and Hinjo are considered "leaders", especially since one is the ruler of Azure City.

Considering Thanh was on a mission, there's a good chance other paladins who were out of the country are returning and joining up with the resistance.

Lord_Butters_I
2008-09-05, 10:24 AM
As an order the sapphire guard is all but finished. They are scattered, there are three paladins we know of. There are probably a few more scattered across the globe, but they have no leader. Secondly there only real purpose was sapphire protecting; they failed; so unless they have an epic divine and an epic arcane caster lying around, they have nothing to gaurd. They are purposeless.

They could still reform under the banner of reclaiming the city; hence my name "Sapphire Corps"

newcresty
2008-09-05, 10:26 AM
all this star wars references obviously leads us to

Darth Miko

it's all makes sense, i can see it clearly now

Linkavitch
2008-09-05, 02:22 PM
all this star wars references obviously leads us to

Darth Miko

it's all makes sense, i can see it clearly now

But Tsukiko didn't zombify Miko. . .

newcresty
2008-09-05, 02:38 PM
or did she?

Kish
2008-09-05, 03:59 PM
Going by the movies that didn't happen, particularly the one that wasn't named Revenge of the Sith, Miko's actions would actually mark her as a close fit for Mace Windu.

The difference being that this Mace was wrong.

Flickerdart
2008-09-05, 04:05 PM
Hm, well, since Miko still has an upper body...
Drider Miko!

Callista
2008-09-05, 08:41 PM
Oh, come on, let the poor woman rest in peace! (Or pieces. Either one will do.)

Prowl
2008-09-05, 08:53 PM
There can be no more Sapphire Guard for the simple reason that there is no more sapphire to guard.

chiasaur11
2008-09-05, 10:07 PM

Actually, we know of at least four guys.

Hinjo, Lien, that one guy in charge of the resistance, and O-Chul are confirmed alive. Aside from that it's been mentioned other paladins were on diplomatic missions, and the only reason mustache dude came back was that nowhere was so far from civilization that the news of Azure City's fall hadn't got to him.

Lord_Butters_I
2008-09-05, 11:11 PM
There can be no more Sapphire Guard for the simple reason that there is no more sapphire to guard.

That's why their new incarnation is an offensive; a force assembled for the sole purpose of reclaiming Azure City.

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-06, 12:07 AM

Due to my wanting to answear...

There is:
Paladins of Justice- Your normal paladin.

Paladins of Freedom- A Chaotic good paladin Varient

Paladins of Tyranny- Blackguards in disguise as a base class varient!

Paladins of Slaughter- See above, but CE instead of LE.
And more, lesser known ones.

Anyways, I think that the saphire guard will not reform in anyway, as Redcloak's snarl-reladted experiments end in most of the city and most of the goblins getting killed by the snarl, pulled into the rift.
this will lead to Recloak going more crazy.

Fawkes
2008-09-06, 12:36 AM
New Sapphire Order?

Prowl
2008-09-06, 01:38 AM
That's why their new incarnation is an offensive; a force assembled for the sole purpose of reclaiming Azure City.

So... call it the Shattered Sapphire Offensive then?

hamishspence
2008-09-06, 02:28 AM
The other three types of paladin are Unearthed Arcana products, which is very much a Variant Rules source. Anything other than those 3 is likely to be even more homebrew than them: I was not aware that Paladins of Neutrality, Law, or Chaos existed.

Red XIV
2008-09-06, 02:45 AM

Soon's Gate will have to be restored eventually; that rift can't exactly be healthy to reality, and it leaves a risk of the Snarl escaping someday. And even if Durkon and V haven't gained enough levels by that point to do the job themselves (or if Durkon has already met his prophecied fate), they'd have to find some way to do it. Maybe they can break that black gem that has Dorukan and Lirian's souls trapped in it, then find somebody to True Resurrect them.

Dacia Brabant
2008-09-06, 09:10 AM

Heh. :smallsmile: Now that you mention it, Xykon and Redcloak are a little bit like Kil'Jaeden and Kael'Thas--and everything after the fall of Azure City has been one long rep grind. One thing's for sure though, the OOTS are gonna need more guild members.

Danukian
2008-09-06, 09:35 AM
Going by the movies that didn't happen, particularly the one that wasn't named Revenge of the Sith, Miko's actions would actually mark her as a close fit for Mace Windu.

The difference being that this Mace was wrong.

But then wouldn't that make Elan Jar-Jar? NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!

Kish
2008-09-06, 09:55 AM
For that to fit, Shojo would need to be alive and doing his best to help Xykon and Redcloak with their plans for the still-intact Gate.