PDA

View Full Version : Thinking with Portals... in RL

Maerok
2008-09-05, 10:40 AM
Ok, so let's say I have my blue portal on the ceiling and my orange portal on the floor. My assistant flips the switch and the air in the room is evacuated; I have the proper equipment to survive in the vacuum. Now I jump into the orange portal and begin an endless fall.

Question 1: Without terminal velocity, would I eventually climb my way up fractions of lightspeed as I freefall forever (every second I fall an extra 9.8 m/s faster; with light speed at 299,792,458 m/s/s in a vacuum, it'd take 3540.6 days to reach it)?

Question 2: The ceiling drops until the two portals are touching. Where am I? What would I see?

Hzurr
2008-09-05, 10:45 AM
Thinking about portals in real life...Heh, I do this.

Question 1:

So...constant acceleration, no max velocity, no friction....yeah, you'd eventually hit light speed, I guess.

Question 2:

please refer to: Ghostbusters- re:crossing the beams

Pronounceable
2008-09-05, 11:02 AM
Q1: Nope. You won't be reaching lightspeed. You are in the earth's gravitational potential field, therefore the maximum kinetic energy you can gain from gravity is equal to the amount which'd let you leave the earth's field. Which means you'd at most attain escape speed (11,2 km/s).

Q2: The moment ceiling moves a milimeter the blue portal closes and you're crushed.

Arioch
2008-09-05, 11:02 AM
Question 1: Without terminal velocity, would I eventually climb my way up fractions of lightspeed as I freefall forever (every second I fall an extra 9.8 m/s faster; with light speed at 299,792,458 m/s/s in a vacuum, it'd take 3540.6 days to reach it)?

Yes, but why would you not have terminal velocity?

Maerok
2008-09-05, 11:04 AM
Well air resistance has been removed (for the experiment, it's a perfect vacuum), or at least made very minimal.

And what if the portals could move and so they were able to touch?

Voshkod
2008-09-05, 11:05 AM
Once relativistic effects kicked in, things would get more complicated, particularly regarding the relative flow of time.

Arioch
2008-09-05, 11:09 AM
Well air resistance has been removed (for the experiment, it's a perfect vacuum), or at least made very minimal.

And what if the portals could move and so they were able to touch?

:smallannoyed: I can't believe I missed that. Damn. Nonetheless, unless the vacuum is perfect, there will still be slowdown. Plus, as TBAM said, relativistic effects will come into play and time dilation will occur.

YPU
2008-09-05, 11:16 AM
If the portals would move to close together you would be crushed anyway as your body is to big to fit in-between the two portals that are now only an inch apart. But then wouldn’t you just be pushed into the portal? Yes, and you would hit yourself thus crushing yourself. Imagine your head being crushed between your head, with your fore head touching the back of your head. Yea, its that nasty.