RawBearNYC
2003-08-06, 08:25 PM
Hey, Giant, did you know you rocked ;D

RawBearNYC
2003-08-06, 09:14 PM
Yessir, rockworthy 8)

WampaX
2003-08-07, 12:21 AM
Nuts . . . I need TKD to get online so I can upload a jpg or gif of the Wampa . . .

All I can say so far is . . . I'm having to squint to read the text here compared to other boards ;)

Hmm, I wonder if the :P smiley works.

The Giant
2003-08-07, 12:40 AM
Hey WampaX, happy to have you here.

I would say there is a 60% chance that is an issue with your browser settings. Try checking out your default fonts and seeing if screwing with them changes the text size.

Then again, I'm no expert, so if RawBearNYC (my tech guy) comes and tells you something different, listen to him. We may be able to do something on our end after all.

RawBearNYC
2003-08-07, 12:47 AM
Heya Wampax

Welcome. Not sure why you have to squint to see the font. I guess I should avoid questioning when the last time your eyesight was checked. It is possible for us to increase the font size. But let's do this, if more of our online friends complain about the fonts, then maybe the Giant will chase my pixie butt around the playground to change it.

The Giant
2003-08-07, 01:40 AM
Well, is that better, Wampa? Ray changed some of the specs or something.

Note to Ray: Avoid using the phrase "my pixie butt" in the future.

WampaX
2003-08-07, 02:11 AM
Yeah, seems better . . . I just don't have a computer desk yet and sit farther away from the screen than most people. The bananna chair works great for watching the TV and working on the computer at the same time, and my knees do a good job doubling as a rest for the keyboard.

A mental picture of someone named Ray with a screen name of RawBearNYC and "my pixie butt" provides much humor. Or just a metal reminder of the odd Elephent Fariy from that one ep of Samurai Jack. Either way . . . much humor.

RawBearNYC
2003-08-07, 02:13 AM
A mental picture of someone named Ray with a screen name of RawBearNYC and "my pixie butt" provides much humor. Or just a metal reminder of the odd Elephent Fariy from that one ep of Samurai Jack. Either way . . . much humor.
Glad I could be of service *bows deeply*

Shalbatana
2003-08-07, 03:41 AM
what's wrong with "my pixie butt"? Don't you like "my pixie butt"? I think "my pixie butt" is really nice.

or is that too vulgar to post? is that in violation of that big long thing we all agreed to that we didn't read?

anyway. sorry about the goofing. I'll stop now.

BTW: what is the ideal image size for the picts on this forum?

The Giant
2003-08-07, 03:57 AM
The problem is that I know RawBear, and I simply can do without the mental image.

The max size is 117 pixels, square, at 72 dpi.

RawBearNYC
2003-08-07, 12:47 PM
The problem is that I know RawBear, and I simply can do without the mental image.At the risk of offending your Giantness, what's that's supposed to mean?!?

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2003-08-07, 12:51 PM
I don't know where the avatar list game from, but having Penfield without having Danger Mouse is blasphemous. :P

WampaX
2003-08-07, 01:55 PM
Anyone know how to pimpslap Geocities so that the personal images will appear?

Over on Nifty, we can get around the "its a gif/jpg" thing by renaming the images as .txt files.

Any hope of that here as well?

RawBearNYC
2003-08-07, 02:39 PM
Likely geocities is checking the referrer on requests for your files and when the url isn't a geocities link, they're not returning the picture. I checked the url you used and it does work. This is done so that you can't do exactly what your trying to do, remote linking. This can adveresly increase the traffic to geocities server, and they don't want that (plus you don't get the geocities ad, and that's counter to their business model). You CAN try the txt thing, and hope that geocities isn't checking the referrer on that file type. Tho, it might send the wrong HTTP headers.

The real answer is to just find a real host that allows remote linking. I can ask around and see who people use, tho, I know that most are fee'd hosts.

WampaX
2003-08-07, 04:09 PM
The field just blanks out when I put http://www.geocities.com/dan_mcfall01/Pictures/WampaX.txt into it.

WampaX
2003-08-07, 05:23 PM
The same thing happens with
http://www.geocities.com/dan_mcfall01/Pictures/wampax2.txt
which is sized at 117x117.

RawBearNYC
2003-08-07, 06:00 PM
Heh, look there, the Message board software seems to require jpg or gif files. In the next couple of days, I'll see if there's a way to change that. It might require hacking the source code, and I hate to do that, finding a friend who might be willing to host your picture would be a much better option.

The Giant
2003-08-07, 07:36 PM
I'm gonna go a step further: Ray, please do not hack the software just to allow geocities image to come through.

Wampa, I think there are probably people who can host your avatar; I know Maj hosts a lot of custom smileys at Nifty, so when she shows up here maybe you could ask reeeeeal nice-like. ;)

WampaX
2003-08-07, 07:53 PM
Fine by me.
Sorry to cause such a stir.
. . . or am I ::)

The Giant
2003-08-07, 08:17 PM
Not a problem at all. ;D

Josh_Kablack
2003-08-07, 08:44 PM
Testing

http://www.geocities.com/jnkst13/bunnycakessmall.txt

If you can see that image and not just a little red X, that means that this boards software displays images ending in .txt just fine. It just won't let you enter one as your avatar.

I gotta ask my roomate if our ISP provides webspace.

RawBearNYC
2003-08-07, 09:00 PM
Sorry, Josh, you are correct. The Avatars must be gif or jpg. There's no such restriction on other content.

The Giant
2003-08-08, 01:12 PM
What kind of world do we live in where a man can't display a rabbit with a pancake on its head freely?

DAMN YOU, YaBB!!!!

Shalbatana
2003-08-09, 12:45 PM
I have geocities and my avatar works fine here, though it didn't on a different forum. My guess is sometimes it will work, till they get around to making it not work.

I heard that they don't support direct remote linking.

Yeah I'm switiching to a real host too. Anybody know of a good (and cheap) place to go?

Shalbatana
2003-08-09, 12:48 PM
Hey, speaking of that other forum. they have a way of uploading new avatars to the batch that's commonly available. If you guys could do that too there would be no problem for anyone to go anywhere. But I know... it's another thing to moderate...see how it snowballs?!!!

The Giant
2003-08-09, 03:28 PM
I have geocities and my avatar works fine here,

I have some bad news for you. Your avatar doesn't work here at all. Note the red X next to your posts.

I will be altering the established avatar list today to put in more appropriate/less stupid options. But custom avatars will remain in the hands of the poster; I'm not going to upload your personal pic to the server, we have space issues.

clarkcd
2003-08-09, 03:49 PM
The reason Shalbatana thinks it's ok is because his picture is stored in the cache on his computer. This allows him to see it wherever he goes regardless of its actual functionality.

RawBearNYC
2003-08-09, 09:33 PM
Actually, as an FYI, if you've ever seen your avatar (line on another board) your browser will Cache the image. When you come here, and the request is made for the same file at the same URI, then your browser will pull from the cache, allowing you to see it, but those of us who haven't seen i before, see a loverly red x.

Bogotter
2003-08-09, 11:22 PM
Just as an FYI I cannot see the avatars for Shalbatana or clarkcd.

I've known people to use sites like www.strike9.com to upload their avatars for free to link to them in forums.

RawBearNYC
2003-08-09, 11:56 PM
Heheh...I would comment about you spending too much time online on a Saturday night, but that would be hypocritical.

I showed Rich the complete list of avatars, and he was so offended to his graphic design core that he's in the process of changing them.

I won't say more, other than to say that if you picked one of the avatars that came with this board...wait for Rich's announcement and then select a new one.

The Giant
2003-08-10, 02:43 AM
Everyone who was concerned about avatars: Go check the new avatar thread. There is a whole new set of unique pictures, drawn by yours truly. Bask in my artistic mastery.

Shalbatana
2003-08-11, 01:24 AM
hey wow. Yeah, it looks ok to me, though it's a little blurry cause I have the size wrong...soI'm a big red X...guess I;ll try that site. Thanks.

-------------so can you see me now???

that strike9 site gave me an error and I couldn't get to it. so I did a search for free avatar hosting and went with villagephotos.com.

Plus side: Took me all of 2 minutes

Down side: have to login once every 30 days or account is cancelled.

Gannes
2003-08-12, 09:56 PM
Here's an interesting question; how did the "Test" board become the biggest board?

The Giant
2003-08-12, 10:06 PM
Because for a while, it was the only thread.

Bogotter
2003-08-12, 10:23 PM
and it's because this is where all the cool kids hang out.

8)

Gannes
2003-08-12, 10:59 PM
I just noticed that when you change your profile, ALL your posts change, too. Even the ones already up.

Interesting, no?

RawBearNYC
2003-08-12, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I would prefer that it didn't retroactively change things. for security reasons. It's possible for you to be real offensive, then turn around and take it away.

WampaX
2003-08-12, 11:52 PM
Should we re-name it the Ninja boards, then?
:P

Bogotter
2003-08-13, 05:56 AM
I run a small message board for my D&D players and it does the same retroactive thing.

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2003-08-13, 09:32 AM
I've never seen board software NOT do that. Part of it is a size thing. Currently all that has to be stored in memory is the contents of each post and signature lines, avatars, etc. are loaded from profiles when each page is loaded.

If those became separate instances as well then there would be a huge jump in the amount of space these boards took up as all of that information would have to be stored for each post.

RawBearNYC
2003-08-13, 11:00 AM
I've never seen board software NOT do that. Part of it is a size thing. Currently all that has to be stored in memory is the contents of each post and signature lines, avatars, etc. are loaded from profiles when each page is loaded.

If those became separate instances as well then there would be a huge jump in the amount of space these boards took up as all of that information would have to be stored for each post. Not really. The way this board works (flat text files on the server's hard drive) signature and avatar information could easily be added to the post information without any impact on RAM, and Hard Drive space is cheap...

If you have spent any time on EZBoard, you'll see that it actually saves signatures and such with the post. They also allow for removing the ability to modify posts on specific boards, disallowing the same scenario from happening to specific posts in "flame-prone" forums.

Gannes
2003-08-13, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I would prefer that it didn't retroactively change things. for security reasons. It's possible for you to be real offensive, then turn around and take it away.

Actually, my concern is more personal. I can be random at times, and occassionally like to change stuff. But I also like to keep the old stuff around, too, just to see how things change over time.

WFRPguy
2004-08-08, 01:06 AM
What kind of world do we live in where a man can't display a rabbit with a pancake on its head freely? so what was the story behind the pic anyways? a breakfast-loving wabbit?

Pagz
2006-06-02, 12:49 AM
one thing i find odd about this board though, is that you can post stuff 3 years laters :P

Samiam303
2006-06-02, 01:05 AM
Except you can't... Posting on threads older than (I believe) one month(?) old is considered thread necromancy.

starwoof
2006-06-02, 01:10 AM
This is BY FAR the greatest episode of threadmomancy I ahve EVER seen.

TURN UNTHREAD!

theKOT
2006-06-02, 01:11 AM
Aren't you guys Vigilante Modding? Am I Vigilante moddigin by asking that? AAAAAAAA!!!!

Rawhide
2006-06-02, 01:43 AM
This is BY FAR the greatest episode of threadmomancy I ahve EVER seen.

TURN UNTHREAD!
Yup, this is by far the greatest case of thread necromancy possible, being that this was the first thread to ever exist on the board.

Lilly
2006-06-02, 01:48 AM
The Fairy Modmother: Yes, thread necromancy is highly frowned upon in these forums. One should take great care to peruse the forum rules available here: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1133174775

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from “the dead.” If a thread has fallen to page three and hasn’t been posted in for a month and a half, don’t post in it. Start a new topic if you want to discuss the subject.

And vigilante modding is also against the rules:

Vigilante Modding
If you’re not a moderator, don’t act like one. Rich has selected a few people he trusts to keep an eye on conversations here. Please refrain from chastising other posters over breaking the rules, especially concerning minor things. The proper response when you see someone breaking these rules is a PM to the local moderator. At most, you may courteously link to this thread. But whatever you do, do not tell other posters what to do, what rules they have broken, that they are "spamming", etc. Posters who do so excessively will be issued a warning for their actions.

Pagz
2006-06-02, 03:12 AM
sorry about this then, i was just curious to c if it was even possible

*ping*

now a lv1 threadmomancer

Rawhide
2006-06-02, 04:36 AM
Yup, its possible. None of the old threads get automatically locked or deleted after a time, nor do they get archived to a locked forum. So it is technically possible to revive any thread that hasn't been intentionally locked, deleted or moved to "The Dump" by a moderator.

Ego Slayer
2006-06-02, 09:49 AM
Wow, and I though my Thread Necromany skills where good with taking the FB's "Not Pr0n" thread from last... November (pg. 30) was bad. ;D

I wish I could have done this..!
Hmm.. guess we should let fall back into it's deep, dark, word filled grave..

Roland St. Jude
2006-06-02, 12:05 PM
one thing i find odd about this board though, is that you can post stuff 3 years laters :P

I think the lesson here falls under that ancient maxim: "Just because you can do a thing, does not mean you should do that thing."

(Just don't ever say that to an engineer or a tinker gnome or a software developer. Last time I tried that I got the response, "If it ain't broke, I haven't messed with enough, yet.")

Hmm.. guess we should let fall back into it's deep, dark, word filled grave..

I suppose that's best. But I had to get my two cents in. :P

Rawhide
2006-06-03, 10:20 AM
Seeing as this is the thread called 'test', and this thread has recently been revived, I can think of no better place to use for a test post.

Computer clock (atomically synched): 12:20am
Watch: 12:22am
Board time at +14 offset: 12:20am

Board times appear to still be accurate.