PDA

View Full Version : Living Forgotten Realms: playable races??

Kurald Galain
2008-09-05, 05:24 PM
I'm told that in the living forgotten realms campaign, only the races from the player's handbook, or FR player's guide, are valid.

Now suppose I want to play a race from the monstrous manual, like a goblin or doppelganger or bugbear or whatever. What are the odds of that happening? Might it be allowed at some point in the future? Would it require one of those character cards, and if so, how would I get one? Does anyone know at this point?

RTGoodman
2008-09-05, 06:53 PM
If it's like the older version of the Living D&D, then I think you'd have to participate in official events and stuff like that to get one of the special cards that'd allow it. I never played Living Greyhawk, but I seem to remember a friend of mine that did talking about doing something to get a special card that let him play a Centaur or something like that.

That assumes, of course, that they do it the same way as they did in the past, which may or may not be true.

ColdSepp
2008-09-05, 07:22 PM
I know there is Card that allows for gnome PCs, so I think there is one for all the monstrous races. Also, you are allowed anything in dragon, so warforged is in.

Hairb
2008-09-06, 12:45 AM
Now suppose I want...

RPGA Living Campaigns are rarely, if ever, accomodating to this impulse. Given that in FR, as opposed to, say, Eberron, goblinoids are largely antagonistic, I don't like your chances. In Living Greyhawk, PCs reincarnated as monsters were retired automatically, IIRC. The rules are hard, and they are fast.

Also, Warforged in Forgotten Realms? Wow.

Keld Denar
2008-09-06, 01:43 AM
As a reward for qualifying for the Gencon event of the D&D Open, I got a set of 3 cards at DDXP last Febuary. They allow the creation of a Gnome, Orc, or Shadar'Kai PC. You could also buy the cards for 15 tokens. Tokens were won by beating encounters in the delve, a gauntlet of 3 encounters in series with the 6 level 1 PCs. I was able to get an extra Gnome card for my buddy with tokens, which was nice.

Orc Fighter seems a bit cool for long fights with their racial encounter power, and I think I'll try something with Gnome and Rogue with Ranger highlights. Shadar'Kai I'm not really sure of, but their racial is something similar to the Eladrin's one.

In general, the monsterous races are a bit weaker than the PC ones because they don't have the full compliment of racial feats to acompany them. No Elven Accuracy or Action Surge for these PCs.

Ecalsneerg
2008-09-06, 01:45 AM
In Living Greyhawk, PCs reincarnated as monsters were retired automatically, IIRC. The rules are hard, and they are fast.

And that was one thing that really annoyed me!

RPGA: "Hey, finally got to level 10? Just died and rolled the wrong random number? START OVER NOOB LOLOLOLOL"

Kurald Galain
2008-09-06, 04:01 PM
As a reward for qualifying for the Gencon event of the D&D Open, I got a set of 3 cards at DDXP last Febuary.
Is there perhaps some site that lists all these cards? Just so I don't go looking for stuff that doesn't actually exist?

Keld Denar
2008-09-06, 05:43 PM
I dunno, check over at the RPGA website (www.rpga.com). All I know are that there at at least 3 cards, Gnome, Orc, and Shadar'Kai, because I have them. You might consider checking a site like e-bay to see if someone is selling any extra cards they may have. I know I'm not selling mine, but not everyone is as packrat oriented as I am.

Who knows, once the campaign is out for a year or so, they might open it up to more available races. After all, LG opened up Kobald, Centaurs, Ashrati, and Arctic Elves at different points during the campaign. Worth a looksie.

Oh, and another thing, the cards might be given out at some point as part of the player rewards system. For ordering, judging, playing, and reporting sanctioned RPGA games, you gain reward points. At roughly regular intervals (quarterly? semi-anually?) they mail out package of RPGA awards, which include minis, campaign cards, published adventures, and an assortment of random junk. You can sign up for player rewards at the RPGA website as well, and its free to do, as is aquiring an RPGA number. Get some friends together, order LFR games and play em, get points, get stuff. Easy peezy.

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-06, 06:26 PM
And that was one thing that really annoyed me!

RPGA: "Hey, finally got to level 10? Just died and rolled the wrong random number? START OVER NOOB LOLOLOLOL"

gods, yes..... Damn RPGA....:smallmad: