PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Martial Power will have TWF Fighter Powers

KillianHawkeye
2008-09-05, 07:10 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dramp/20080905

Scroll down to the second half of the article to see the preview. It includes a new Fighter "fighting style", a new At-Will (seems to reproduce the Ranger's dual strike), and three encounter powers.

Lyndworm
2008-09-05, 07:25 PM
Well it seems Fighters are encroaching even further on striker territory.

That being said, I support this new style, and look forward to seeing it in action.

Zack

Zocelot
2008-09-05, 08:58 PM
The article has the first Weapon bonus to Fighter powers that isn't from levels 3, 13, or 23.

A weapon bonus at every level is how they should have done it originally, but now I think it's too late to change it (though that doesn't seem to be stopping them).

Edge of Dreams
2008-09-05, 11:32 PM
This is...interesting. The +1 to attack rolls and +2 to damage with off-hand weapons means short swords (and to a lesser degree, katars) will see a lot of use. It appears a dual-wielding fighter is intended to be using smaller weapons than a dual-wielding ranger.

Math time!

Assume 18's in relevant stats, level 1

Ranger twin strike with two longswords:
+7 vs AC, let's call this 50% chance to hit
50% of 1d8, twice, plus 75% chance of an extra 1d6 (or d8 with feat) = 4.5 + 2.625 or 3.375 = 7.125 or 7.875

Fighter dual strike with two shortswords:
+8 vs AC, call this 55% chance to hit
55% of 1d6+2, twice = .55 * (5.5) * 2 = 6.05 damage

Not quite caught up with ranger, although ranger pulls ahead more with bastard swords. And since both classes have equal access to things like weapon focus, etc..... yeah. The +1 to hit is a big deal to me, but then I noticed fighters get that with every style. Considering that Dual Strike is an at-will with nothing but damage (a rarity among non-strikers), I think this will definitely be the most striker-y build for fighters.

It is nice to see something that encourages dual wielding smaller weapons though. Dual bastard swords is simultaneously awesome and silly.

EDIT: Just realized, rangers will pull ahead even more in higher tiers as quarry damage goes up. And again at Epic when at-wills become 2[W]

EDIT2: For comparison's sake, fighter's Reaping Strike with a Great Sword, same assumptions:

55% chance of 1d10+4 damage, 45% of 2 damage = .55% 9.5 + .45 * 2 = 5.225 + .9 = 6.125

Surprisingly, that's actually better. However, when magic weapon damage and other things like weapon focus start getting applied on both hits of dual strike, DS will definitely be the better choice.

Also, DS is far better than anything besides cleave for minion-slaughter as a fighter.