PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Sub-Board

streakster
2008-09-05, 07:39 PM
There have been so many threads about X is underpowered/overpowered/broken, etc. They often go on well into the 50's or beyond, without ever producing anything - no one is ever convinced, tempers are raised, infractions must be handed out. That's no good.

I propose a "Power Level Arguments" sub-board. In this board, classes could be argued about forever. Any thread that becomes this - IE, one that mentions monks and becomes a massive battle over whether the monk is too weak or not - could be moved to this board as well, thus keeping the general discussion free of such things.

It was just a thought I had.

Kyeudo
2008-09-06, 07:47 PM
Way too specific if you ask me. There are usually no more than 3 threads arguing about power level at any given time. Also, given the nature of the proposed sub-forum, you may as well call it the Flame Wars forum, since most balance discussions collapse into them after twenty pages or so.

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-06, 07:48 PM
If Rawhide won't make one for Vs. threads he sure as hell won't make one for this.

Haruki-kun
2008-09-06, 08:28 PM
I dunno about that.... but I wouldn't mind having a sub-board for all non-Town organizations with nifty Acronyms.

streakster
2008-09-06, 08:35 PM
Way too specific if you ask me. There are usually no more than 3 threads arguing about power level at any given time. Also, given the nature of the proposed sub-forum, you may as well call it the Flame Wars forum, since most balance discussions collapse into them after twenty pages or so.

That was the thought - flame in peace, away from the other threads - but I see your point. And Tippy, no doubt you're right, but there's no way to know without an attempt.

Gorbash
2008-09-07, 12:29 AM
If Rawhide won't make one for Vs. threads he sure as hell won't make one for this.

Needless to mention that we won't be seeing 3.5e/4e division...

I'm actually surprised this thread isn't locked yet.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-07, 03:38 AM
I dunno about that.... but I wouldn't mind having a sub-board for all non-Town organizations with nifty Acronyms.
Hmm, but you know, its just exactly like the town, but then on a demi-plane scale.
And that only because we'd mass storm eachother if we'd be neighbours.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-08, 07:40 AM
You know, actually I kinda think a broader themed subforum would be good for this kind of thing. Maybe "Optimization and Balance"? It would give some of the char-op refugees from other boards without names a place to mess about with theoretical optimization, folks to ask for help with builds, and a place for people to discuss balance issues within any given system. I'd like to think that the last one won't descend into flaming... but I'm probably wrong.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-09, 12:35 PM
I think a Flame War sub-forum would be a healthy outlet for all the pent-up agression that's built up over ruling disagreements. If such a thing existed in the last year, I think we would have had a lot less people banned. :smallfrown:

This also would lead to the Mods being looked at more favorably & with less fear. Now they are sometimes seen as the SWAT team who blackbags the troublemakers, whereas if there was a Flame War sub-forum to kick people to, they would be seen more as bouncers who tell the roudy folks to take it outside.

NerfTW
2008-09-09, 08:04 PM
I think a Flame War sub-forum would be a healthy outlet for all the pent-up agression that's built up over ruling disagreements. If such a thing existed in the last year, I think we would have had a lot less people banned. :smallfrown:

This also would lead to the Mods being looked at more favorably & with less fear. Now they are sometimes seen as the SWAT team who blackbags the troublemakers, whereas if there was a Flame War sub-forum to kick people to, they would be seen more as bouncers who tell the roudy folks to take it outside.

Inviting people to flame eachother in a "flame-war" forum is just asking for those bad feelings to spill over to the main forum. It doesn't matter what "rules" you put in there, people are still going to be upset and take it out in other posts.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-09-09, 08:17 PM

Nah, cuz then they'd all want their own sub forums. Besides, its nice to see Town busy.

Nychta
2008-09-09, 11:21 PM

Isn't that kind of a waste of resources?
Also, I like the mods. They're nice.

EDIT: Also, I doubt they care much about how they're seen in general.

Hairb
2008-09-10, 08:34 AM

Taking the other viewpoint, a flamewar subforum is just another excuse for people not to leave their attitude problems at the door. And unless this hypothetical forum is itself moderated, then all that is being achieved is the establishment of a small singularity of bitterness and resentment chewing away at the heart of an otherwise pleasant community where the lack of rules allows people who should have been kept out to continue whatever acts necessitated there being a forum just for them in the first place.

NerfTW
2008-09-10, 08:36 AM
then all that is being achieved is the establishment of a small singularity of bitterness and resentment chewing away at the heart of an otherwise pleasant community

OH MY GOD WE CREATED THE SNARL. :smalleek:

Zeta Kai
2008-09-10, 02:23 PM
Isn't that kind of a waste of resources?
Also, I like the mods. They're nice.

EDIT: Also, I doubt they care much about how they're seen in general.

1) I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with the mods of this forum. Even when I've violated the rules, they have been nice & helpful.

2) They do care how they are perceived. They are people, too. People with jobs to do, but people nonetheless.

3) I still believe that a let-it-all-hang-out Flame forum can be a nice venting zone. And yes, it could lead to acrimony in other areas. But we won't know until we give it the ol' college try, now will we? Of course, I don't expect that to happen, as the Powers That Be seem happy with the current set-up, & therefore see no need to rock the proverbial boat.

Tormsskull
2008-09-10, 03:35 PM
You know, actually I kinda think a broader themed subforum would be good for this kind of thing. Maybe "Optimization and Balance"? It would give some of the char-op refugees from other boards without names a place to mess about with theoretical optimization, folks to ask for help with builds, and a place for people to discuss balance issues within any given system. I'd like to think that the last one won't descend into flaming... but I'm probably wrong.

I'd second this idea. Personally I think it would be a great way to provide more structure to the forums, and as a side benefit it would make it where anyone who isn't interested in those things could just skip that subforum all together.

Raistlin1040
2008-09-10, 06:27 PM
1) I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with the mods of this forum. Even when I've violated the rules, they have been nice & helpful.

2) They do care how they are perceived. They are people, too. People with jobs to do, but people nonetheless.

3) I still believe that a let-it-all-hang-out Flame forum can be a nice venting zone. And yes, it could lead to acrimony in other areas. But we won't know until we give it the ol' college try, now will we? Of course, I don't expect that to happen, as the Powers That Be seem happy with the current set-up, & therefore see no need to rock the proverbial boat.

There are a lot of people/places for venting. Blogs, to a friend (be they forumites or real-life), over IM, via email, ect.

This forum is most definatly not one of those places.

NerfTW
2008-09-10, 08:15 PM
anyone who isn't interested in those things could just skip that subforum all together.

What is it like in your fantasy world where people leave their arguments in the subforum just because the mods asked nicely? Does it rain gumdrops there?

Now remember, you can't let that flame I just made affect your behavior in the regular forums. Does that seem likely to you?

AKA_Bait
2008-09-11, 05:23 AM
What is it like in your fantasy world where people leave their arguments in the subforum just because the mods asked nicely? Does it rain gumdrops there?

Now remember, you can't let that flame I just made affect your behavior in the regular forums. Does that seem likely to you?

Um. I think you have been confused. Tormskull was referring to my suggestion of a "Balance and Optimization" like subforum of the Gaming board, not Zeta Kai's suggestion. I don't see why anyone would feel need to drag their request for help with a particular build or attempt a theoretical optimization over to the main forum unless something specifically in the main forum specifically called for it to be referenced. Zeta Kai's suggestion on the other hand...

NerfTW
2008-09-11, 07:38 AM
Oh man, you're right, I'm an idiot. And my wonderfully crafted "flame" goes to waste.

Tormsskull
2008-09-11, 08:41 AM
Oh man, you're right, I'm an idiot. And my wonderfully crafted "flame" goes to waste.

lol. Its ok, I got a kick out of the gumdrops line.

Fawkes
2008-09-16, 02:15 PM
I still believe that a let-it-all-hang-out Flame forum can be a nice venting zone. And yes, it could lead to acrimony in other areas. But we won't know until we give it the ol' college try, now will we? Of course, I don't expect that to happen, as the Powers That Be seem happy with the current set-up, & therefore see no need to rock the proverbial boat.

If it ain't broke, don't set it on fire, that's what I always say.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-18, 07:37 AM
If it ain't broke, don't set it on fire, that's what I always say.

Tell that to the OP, & find yourself another strawman. :smallamused: