PDA

View Full Version : Um...Yeah My girlfriend kinda asked me for this.

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 09:19 PM
Hi guys! My girlfriend wants to do a Moe-mon Rpg system for an online campaign. Um yeah....:smalleek:
She's my girl and I really wanna help. It needs to be simple and have basic gameplay elements Mabye a D10 system that can be used on online really effectively.

XenoGeno
2008-09-05, 09:25 PM
My girlfriend wants to do a Moe-mon

Wikipedia turns up nothing; what's Moe-mon?

Knaight
2008-09-05, 09:27 PM
I would personally use Fudge for this, since it sounds like the sort of thing that involves lots of creation of stuff. And yes its available free online. Lets hear some details, if you want to do it in Fudge, then I can probably contribute.

Krrth
2008-09-05, 09:29 PM
Wikipedia turns up nothing; what's Moe-mon?

...I just googled it. Um....I'll let the copy/paste from google say it all...Jul 28, 2008 ... Moemon's a Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green patch that changes the Pokemon into moe -style characters (anthropomorphic anime girls, ..

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 09:31 PM
:smalleek:Oi here we go.
Moemon is arghh...
basically chibi children battle pokemon yeah I know....I love her give me a break. I feel my guyness slipping away...
heres a pic.
at here:
http://guides.ign.com/guides/16708/page_124.html

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 09:33 PM
yeah....Sums it up pretty much...I find it creepy she finds it adorable and so do her friends...Weird but to each their own...I guess

Ascension
2008-09-05, 09:34 PM
This is insanely cute. (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/aicalo/sprites.png)

I love it.

And I'm a guy.

Deal with it.

EDIT: Especially Arbok-tan! So, so, sooooo cute!

Lord Tataraus
2008-09-05, 09:35 PM
:smallconfused:...ok...well....

I would say Fudge (http://www.fudgerpg.com/fudge.html) or possibly Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm) would be good, or you could take the Pokethulhu (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm) rules and modify it for furries...

Edit: Hey, look on the bright side, now at least you know one of her fetishes :smallwink:

Krrth
2008-09-05, 09:35 PM
:smalleek:Oi here we go.
Moemon is arghh...
basically chibi children battle pokemon yeah I know....I love her give me a break. I feel my guyness slipping away...
heres a pic.
at here:
http://guides.ign.com/guides/16708/page_124.html
Nothing wrong with trying to make your significant other happy. Look at it this way....at least she wants to get into gaming! Maybe BESM? That whole game is set around Anime in general.

Knaight
2008-09-05, 09:36 PM
Alright then, no problem, I've helped people do pokemon stuff before. Although I have to say the anthropomorphic anime girl part is creepy. PM me if you decide to use Fudge.

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 09:36 PM
Gf says you awesome. More power to ya from me as well.
So what's the prognosis docs Can make an RPG or am I shooting blanks here.

Collin152
2008-09-05, 09:41 PM
This is insanely cute. (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/aicalo/sprites.png)

I love it.

And I'm a guy.

Deal with it.

Ooh. Adorable.
I especially like the Magikarp and Mr. Mime.
And Hitmonlee.

TheThan
2008-09-05, 09:45 PM
If you can get her hooked on rpgs the maybe one day you could get her into Dnd, then you can introduce the book of erotic fantasy….

Ok I’ll get my head out of the gutter now…

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 09:45 PM
I don't understand it but whatever.:smalltongue:
Really simple basically only rolling for battles and that'd be it. VERY RULES LITE. apparently.
Already Hooked on DND played it before this she's a gamer chick:smallbiggrin:
As for the latter I'm wary of even looking at that.

XenoGeno
2008-09-05, 09:46 PM

I love it.

And I'm a guy.

Deal with it.

Huh. I wonder what Missingno would look like if turned into a chibi girl...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-05, 09:46 PM
Dang, now I have to download a emulator for this. Thanks for preemptively wasting 20/30 hours of my life. :smallwink:

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 09:48 PM
anytime:smallbiggrin:
I get the feeling I just started a new trend....

Kaihaku
2008-09-05, 09:48 PM
Beedrill... :smalleek:

monty
2008-09-05, 09:50 PM
If you only need combat rules, it probably wouldn't be too hard to homebrew your own system. Alternately, you could just take the regular Pokemon battle system and modify it as you see fit.

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 09:50 PM
?scared? ugh ten letter limit.
Wait Ther is a tabletop version of Poke'mon?

Lord Tataraus
2008-09-05, 09:53 PM
Question: Do the player play as a moe-mon or are they a...uh...trainer of the moe-mon.

The innuendo...its overwhelming...AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: ^ there is pokethulhu which is the closest you'll get but otherwise there is no table-top pokemon that I know of, however you could easily make a homebrewed pokemon battle system its basically a direct conversion as a hit-crit-miss system and percentage-based resistances.

monty
2008-09-05, 09:53 PM
Must avoid making furry jokes...

UglyPanda
2008-09-05, 09:54 PM
If you can find it, there's a splat book for BESM called Cute and Fuzzy [censored]fighting Seizure Monsters.

Here's a link (http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=3677)

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 09:54 PM
Players are ugh...trainers...I don't understand either. Don't feel bad.

Knaight
2008-09-05, 09:55 PM
Gf says you awesome. More power to ya from me as well.
So what's the prognosis docs Can make an RPG or am I shooting blanks here.

If this is addressed to me, thanks. Its doable in Fudge. So down to business. First thing first, the list of stuff. Off the top of my head.
1. Experience mechanics-One of my methods should work easily.
2. Attributes-Attack becomes Strength, Defense Toughness, Specials situational ODF and DDF. Speed stays, Evasion stays. Done.
3. Evolutions-A little tweaking of the scale mechanics makes this work.
4. Pokeballs-Have a method.
5. Moves-Have multiple methods. If you buy the fudge 10th anniversary book, I can explain one of the better ones based on one of its martial arts methods, otherwise your stuck with some of the others.
6. Pokemon-The long, tedious, easy part.
Anything I missed?

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 09:59 PM
Can't afford any Books at the moment.and now she's watching us as well.play nice guys.
Back to fudge I guess post the mechanics here and we can work it over tea I guess:smallbiggrin:

Jalor
2008-09-05, 09:59 PM
I can't help but notice how perfectly 4e's powers system would work for Pokemon. Simple moves like Tackle or Water Gun are at-wills, stronger ones like Leech Life or Flamethrower would be encounter powers, and REALLY strong attacks like Hyper Beam or Aeroblast are dailies. You wouldn't have to modify very many core rules, just make new powers and change/remove classes.

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 10:01 PM
Also don't own 4E...I'm poor!:smallfrown:

Collin152
2008-09-05, 10:01 PM
stronger ones like Leech Life

Leech Life?
Is not strong.

monty
2008-09-05, 10:03 PM
I can't help but notice how perfectly 4e's powers system would work for Pokemon. Simple moves like Tackle or Water Gun are at-wills, stronger ones like Leech Life or Flamethrower would be encounter powers, and REALLY strong attacks like Hyper Beam or Aeroblast are dailies. You wouldn't have to modify very many core rules, just make new powers and change/remove classes.

*gasp* 4E IS POKEMON!!! WOTC SUCKS!!!

(Note that my satire on the "4e is WoW" argument in no way endorses 4e. I still don't like it; I just think some of the arguments against it are stupid. But that's a topic for another thread.)

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 10:03 PM
Depends on the player. Anyway lets focus back on rules. So the current runners are FUDGE 4E and I at least know BESM somewhat it's a very weak contender though.

Knaight
2008-09-05, 10:04 PM
Can't afford any Books at the moment.and now she's watching us as well.play nice guys.
Back to fudge I guess post the mechanics here and we can work it over tea I guess:smallbiggrin:

PM and linky time. Keep an eye on the PMs. Oh and not to be a grammar nazi, but please put a comma between Fudge and 4e.

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 10:05 PM
Roger:smallbiggrin:
Tommorows sat. So I can ignore the whole sleep thing for awhile here. I'm gonna need coffee.

Fawsto
2008-09-05, 10:10 PM
Well, we can always use the beloved brazilian RPG system called 3D&T or, more recent, 4D&T. It is kind of very, very easy to play. 5 generic atribs (VERY generic), d6 only. Point buy system where your characters are insanely powerful or incredibly weak. Marvelous, I'd just have to trnaslate a few pages for you and send some of the material. It would help if you speak Portuguese or Spanish, though.

BTW. This is creepy... But I've seen creepier stuff. So, if your girl wants it, just go ahead. Just don't, please, don't, run a live action, ok? (This would be, seriously, the creepiest stuff I've ever heard about, so just don't).

Good luck.

Collin152
2008-09-05, 10:11 PM
Tommorows sat.

SAT tomorrow?
Get thee to a nunnery!

Another imperative expression!

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 10:13 PM
Ahh, wordplay.
Humm. That also may be an option I guess beam the link and I'll take a peek. my spanish is terrible though so yeah please translate.

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 10:23 PM
Alright, you guys still there? Knaight She's leaning towards FUDGE but let's still keep our options open. I've got nothing but time Sat. and Sun. She's not feeling the love on the D6 systems at the moment so D20's and D10's guys.

Who here has a Gaia Account raise your hands now don't be shy. She needs Gym leaders guys I'm in so feel free to join in as well. As far as I know She only wants the First one-fifty.

monty
2008-09-05, 10:29 PM
Hmm...idea! Use D&D 3.5. Play them as warlocks, with homebrew invocations to represent the moves (obviously, modify/remove the other class features).

Knaight
2008-09-05, 10:31 PM
Thats just an assumption. I don't even know the last generation(I should I'm 15, my brother is 12, and a lot of his friends like me because I GM epic awesome games(as far as their concerned. 3 years ahead is a lot at our ages) for them and teach them how to fence.) Did you get my PM?
EDIT: Ninjad, aiming at the post 2 above mine.

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 10:33 PM
Thinking of going with Fudge. So if you guys know it please help!:smalleek:
I've only used DND and D20

DeathQuaker
2008-09-05, 10:34 PM
If you want to do it d20 style, use Anime d20 (the SRD version of BESM d20): http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/animesrd.html

You'll note one of the classes is "Pet Monster Trainer." Go from there.

Though I really would recommend finding a copy of BESM and Cute and Fuzzy Seizure Monsters.... it may be a d6 system (which is actually more forgiving than a lot of d10 and d20 systems) but it's very easy to learn and use, and reflects anime "physics" much better.

At any rate, have fun catching'em all!

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 10:45 PM
Knaight I think this may work. HOw planned out are your stats and whatnot on those forums?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-05, 10:46 PM
You said it's online? Can I get in?

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 10:48 PM
yeah she hasn't set up the threads yet but it will be at gaiaonline.com .

Knaight
2008-09-05, 10:52 PM
I'm not on Gaia. That said, just PM me and I'll respond, and you should join the other boards I mentioned, since there is a thread there that you should look at, and I'm willing to help. Sstoopidtallkid how well do you know the Fudge mechanics?

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 10:53 PM
About the same as me I imagine.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-05, 10:57 PM
Not at all. I have no clue about Fudge. PM me, please?

Knaight
2008-09-05, 10:58 PM
Links earlier up in the thread. If you want more info, ask, and I'll PM you something.

Kaihaku
2008-09-05, 10:59 PM
Leech Life?
Is not strong.

Now, Leech Seed + Toxic in the original Red/Blue... hehehe...

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 11:14 PM
True let's her it grass and poison types:smallbiggrin:
I was one of the first gen. of kids exposed to Pokemon and have loved the first one fifty forever. Moemon just strikes me as odd but, what thy mistress desires I shall always fufill.

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 11:23 PM
We are going with Fudge! Also, we need gymleaders and people who know the system. Knaight Where Are You?!
Please PM me if you have interest.

Knaight
2008-09-05, 11:31 PM
Check your PM box already. I PMed you about 6 of your posts ago.

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 11:33 PM
I was reffering to the Gym leader question. I know you're in, Gf is already picking her roster out. She's staying in the first 150 thank god!

Sholos
2008-09-05, 11:44 PM
Leech Life?
Is not strong.

Paras. Plus Spore. Plus Leech Life. Against Psychics. Kicked ridiculous amounts of ass. Well, in game, anyways. I don't know about PvP. I do know that Paras was my main against Sabrina.

Knaight
2008-09-05, 11:45 PM
Well Gymleaders are interesting to say the least. What we would be looking at is several pokemon base templates, with points added on top, then the whole badge thing. But it shouldn't be that much different than normal trainers, except for you would want to always have an interesting battle ground. Badges would actually work well with the partial level system, and padded rolls though, as far as the system is concerned. Padded rolls are when someone has a minus or a plus, for situational things, and they get rid of the opposite number, rendering it neutral. So for instance, a padded plus doesn't have any effect when no dice are rolled -, but can turn 1 die into a blank. Let each badge do this for the gymleaders, and give them a few fudge points.

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 11:51 PM
Really it was just for roleplay value. Mechanically It's just a pretty pin. (I think)
Yeah BTW I'm apparently the new Pewter City Gym leader.:smalltongue: She's Cerulean.

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-05, 11:53 PM
Mind explaining what Fudge is?

Also, what's not to get about TheThan's D&D comment..?

black dragoon
2008-09-05, 11:57 PM
It's a universal system. Which for internet play may work better than DND. Don't get me wrong I probably will eventually convert this to DND 3.5 for my sanity and to use in meatworld But for now it's FUDGE. Knaight can explain it better than I can.

Sholos
2008-09-05, 11:59 PM
I think the gymleader badges should do something. They did in the game, after all.

On that note, playing the game makes you realize how ridiculously bad a trainer Ash should be. It's only by the writers ignoring large parts of the game mechanics that he can do half the stuff he does. Like killing Geodude with an Electric attack. Since Geodude's ground, it shouldn't have done anything to him. Or how about the fact that he never actually beat Brock? Brock had him cold, even after Pikachu's little training montage. Then Brock had a heart and didn't want to slaughter Pikachu anymore. How's Ash repay his kindness? By throwing lightning at a soaked pokemon.

Lord Tataraus
2008-09-06, 12:02 AM
I think the gymleader badges should do something. They did in the game, after all.

On that note, playing the game makes you realize how ridiculously bad a trainer Ash should be. It's only by the writers ignoring large parts of the game mechanics that he can do half the stuff he does. Like killing Geodude with an Electric attack. Since Geodude's ground, it shouldn't have done anything to him. Or how about the fact that he never actually beat Brock? Brock had him cold, even after Pikachu's little training montage. Then Brock had a heart and didn't want to slaughter Pikachu anymore. How's Ash repay his kindness? By throwing lightning at a soaked pokemon.

Seriously, when did Ash ever earn a badge? Like maybe 1 out of every 10 to be generous, Ash is a pompous idiot.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 12:04 AM
Plot Armor gotta love it. You guys did read the first few posts on the first page right it's not exactly pokemon it's well....Moemon. There's a link and explanation to what they are and I just keep thinking they're pokemon but that's a different story. They work the same at the mechanics level And I need to start thinking of how to build up a 150 cute fighting girl monster things...

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 12:05 AM
Oh Steve...! xD Guess who decided to give up on figuring out my old account and made a new one... xD
So yeah, anyway... You know more about this than I do, I'm just gonna supervise. ^-^

Sholos
2008-09-06, 12:06 AM
I'll give him the badge from the idiot American dude. Sergeant something or other. And the badge from the Grass league. I think he was winning that fight before Rocket interrupted them (though he made some idiotic decisions there, too).

Anyway, IIRC, the game badges not only had the benefit of allowing you to control higher-level critters, but they gave boosts to all your Pokemon as well.

EDIT:I think that's the first time I've ever ninja'd myself. Seriously. I hit the post button, and my post was on top of Black Dragoon's. Weird.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 12:06 AM
YAY!!!!!!!!:smallbiggrin: Thank god you're here! I'm not going insane after all!

Knaight
2008-09-06, 12:13 AM
Slaanesh: Fudge is a universal, genreless system base which is basically a skeleton system making it extremely easy to fill in. It was built to be highly modular and versatile, meaning there is always a little more work making it work for a setting than just picking up a book, but it runs faster, fits better, and is your own. Its not a complete system, and rests somewhere between system and toolbox. It has a few extremely elegant mechanics, such as scale, and the trait level relative degree word scale interaction, but doesn't have many rules. Right now I have a pulp fantasy game, a fantasy game, a black ops sci-fi game, and a historical game set around the Hittite culture, all of which have their own mechanical twists, but run extremely fast, and didn't take much work to make my own.

For instance, the pulp fantasy and black ops game both have ship mechanics, which are based off of the same core, but have a few differences, (afterburners, manual reactive shields, missiles, flares, and tractor beam modifications all appear in the sci fi game, for sudden bursts of speed, people being able to try and hit the shields to block certain projectilves, the sake of explosions, for the sake of explosions not going on your ship, and the fun of a ship which specializes in grabbing with multiple tractor beams, yanking a small ship in, then ripping it apart.) and the sci-fi game has recoil mechanics I whipped up as a way to make high strength useful in primarily ranged combat (using bigger guns. This made use of the relative degree mechanic I mentioned earlier, basically one would fire, and if they failed they took that penalty on their next shot. The penalties were cumulative, but not firing from a turn got rid of them. Which also allowed for sniper weapons, as they had a ridiculous recoil, but did enough damage to make up for it.)

Its been linked before in this thread, so take a look at the free rules. Also take a look at fudge factor, which has quite a few interesting articles worth borrowing.

Everyone else: The badges helped you control pokemon, and slightly raised stats if I remember correctly. So I'm thinking that having them have a sort of enhancement to using fudge points, so normally you just get a reroll if you use one, but this gives you a bonus, or this lets stuff carry over turns, etc.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 12:16 AM
Fudge points or access to new techniques.We were talking about TMs earlier So mabye they double as that as well.

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 12:20 AM
Yeah yeah, Im here. xD I even figured out how to change my icon thing. xD It's much better now! Anyway:

Moemon is an actual game. You can download a version of Pokemon on your computer and then download the Moemon patch. Basically all it does is make your pokemon look like little girls in pokemon costumes. They level up the same as regular pokemon, their attacks don't change, everything is the same. The only thing that is different is their appearance.

I think it is adorable. I would have loved to play it on my computer but my computer cant run it. =[ So I thought this would be the next best thing.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 12:24 AM
Thank you for the explanation. You know we have emoticons right?
Stat generation doesn't look very hard and should be painless like Knaight said.

Sholos
2008-09-06, 12:25 AM
Well, you did tend to get HMs and/or TMs from the Gym Leaders. You could do something like that.

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 12:25 AM
Yes. I am quite aware of the emoticons.

I prefer my own. >=P

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 12:26 AM
Right. I think it save some headaches really. TMs could only be found here and there and used once right?

jcsw
2008-09-06, 12:27 AM
...Sergeant something or other...

Lt. Surge. That is all.

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 12:27 AM
Well, you did tend to get HMs and/or TMs from the Gym Leaders. You could do something like that.

I was planning on it. ^-^ When looking for Moemon for my Cerulean Gym Leader, not only did I take into account what levels my Moemon would be between, but I also knew that all of my Moemon had to know Bubblebeam since that is the TM the Cerulean Gym gives to the Trainers who win along with their badge.

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 12:29 AM
Right. I think it save some headaches really. TMs could only be found here and there and used once right?
Yes. TM's can only be used once. HM's can be used multiple times but can only be deleted by a Move Deleter.... guy... where as TM's, which can only be used once, can be replaced easily. ^-^

Knaight
2008-09-06, 12:31 AM
TMs are just TMs. That said might want to keep the TMs and HMs separate, and throwing away the numbers. I know they are part of the game, but they're just irritating. Those do typically come with a badge though. Maybe the badges could allow you to modify existing techniques.

Basically the idea is based on a magic system, where spells are improvised, and you add up a bunch of modifiers to find the difficulty, then roll it. Spells are easier if you cast faster, but longer range makes them more difficult, as do more targets/area etc. If we were to use the speed phase of combat in the fudge dogfighting chapter, which works perfectly for small groups in particular, and is incredibly easy in duels, we could just have range use the word scale. Badges could then be like metamagic, and work on a per day basis(charges), but only with their own type, or just increase the point total for any of the 3 point systems. So lets say that bulbasaur has vinewhip. Vinewhip would normally look something like this:

Vine Whip
5 points or 6/day or 3/fight (which of those methods do you want to use anyways?)
Short Range
ODF 3
2 attacks, second at -1
Badge Modifications
-- Long Whip, Medium Range +1 point or 1 charge
-- Sticky Whip, attaches. Opponent can not extend beyond short range. +1 point or 1 charge.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 12:34 AM
True, what skill sets are gonna work best here. I like what's on the Fudge forum site. That stat block looked pretty clean and easy to do.
Trainers however may need to talked over.( I know you were talking about this love) I guess Pokemon are premade and Trainers talked over with the Gms?
Also, Knaight you want in? I think we still have a few Gym leader positions and We're thinking about Team Rocket as well.

Knaight
2008-09-06, 12:41 AM
What you mean like playing? Because if so I so call team rockets Giovanni. But an example of the cleaned up statblock, using a different method-
Vinewhip-5 points, ODF 3, Short Range, 2 hits.
Vinewhip-5 points, ODF 3, Short Range, 2 hits. Mods-Medium range(1), Stick(2)
Same thing as before, cleaned up, second one keeps mods for badges. As for trainers, use five point fudge (http://www.panix.com/~sos/rpg/fudfive.html). It looks complicated, but it really isn't.

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 12:42 AM
We definately need Gym Leaders... Probably more so than Team Rocket, since they arent too important unless we decide to deal with them.
But for gym leaders, I would like people who know what they are doing. xD Sure, We will have to explain things to the people who I have already appointed as gym leaders but Knaight, I think you would be a perfect Gym Leader. We have a few Gyms left:

Vermilion - Lightning
Fuschia - Poison
Cinnabar - Fire
Viridian - Ground...?

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 12:43 AM
Technically if you were the Viridian Gym Leader you would be the leader of Team Rocket. xD But I'm trying to make it so we don't use the original characters....

Knaight
2008-09-06, 12:47 AM
So basically I do this through the forum or what? And lets go with Viridian (Sandslash is in the first 150 right?) Type the guy up, all his pokemon, badge effects, whatever?

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 12:49 AM
Back to mechanics.
*pulls out a large wrench*
I think the 'Mana' point style works best that way a player can pick and choose what they need in a fight. From what I remember that's what it seemed like in the show...a mon just threw out an attack after attack and finally had to quit when it was to tired to use anything period.

Friv
2008-09-06, 12:50 AM
If you can find it, there's a splat book for BESM called Cute and Fuzzy [censored]fighting Seizure Monsters.

Here's a link (http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=3677)

Beat me to it.

Yeah, Cute and Fuzzy Rooster-fighting Seizure Monsters would be the most obvious choice, since it literally does what you want. Big Eyes, Small Mouth in general is a lovely, simple system for this sort of modelling, though.

Ascension
2008-09-06, 12:53 AM
Wait, this is being run PbP?

And you need a Cinnibar Gym Leader?

I'm in!

Please PM me the details!

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 12:55 AM
WOOT! Anyways...I think we've decided on Fudge right? Love you still there?

Trizap
2008-09-06, 12:55 AM

I love it.

And I'm a guy.

Deal with it.

I...........I......I...I....I...Don't... I..... don't.......I just..... don't know how........I.....I don't..........know......how to.......respond to this......

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 12:56 AM
@ Knaight-
You would need an account on www.gaiaonline.com
It's free, so dont worry about that. xD
Also, You would need to come up with the guys appearance, name, etc. Just basics. Also, choose 6 Moemon [Pokemon] that are between the level ranges of 40 and 50. Basically, to name them, here are your options:
Cubone
Marowak
Diglett
Dugtrio
Rhyhorn
Rhydon
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Geodude
Graveller
Golem
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Onix

Behold_the_Void
2008-09-06, 12:57 AM
Gonna pimp my system once again, it's intended to capture the feel of anime and should work with Pokemon with some modification, which I am happy to provide. Basically, use the standard rules for putting pokemon themselves together, and you can build techniques based on attacks instead of handing Tech Points out every level. It's possible to expand the levels to 100 if you really want, though I don't particularly advise it, and evolutions are basically permanent alternate forms.

Click the Anime system in my signature for more details, but if you're looking for something to tabletop Moemon it should work.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 12:59 AM
I think We have Cinnabar's leader as well.:smallbiggrin:

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 01:02 AM
Possibly but I would feel a bit more comfortable with that if he had been here this entire time instead of jumping in. Maybe if he posted a bit more on the subject... >.> I dont mean to sound mean, but I dont really want to give Gym Leader positions to just anyone, you know?

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 01:06 AM
I know. So in other words to you would be gym leaders you gotta prove your worth!

I really think We're leaning to the fudge side. Really it's all up to haruhi so I guess show us some playtesting or something...man I'm not used to heading this big a project.:smalleek:

Trizap
2008-09-06, 01:08 AM
Possibly but I would feel a bit more comfortable with that if he had been here this entire time instead of jumping in. Maybe if he posted a bit more on the subject... >.> I dont mean to sound mean, but I dont really want to give Gym Leader positions to just anyone, you know?

no, I am just commenting on how that picture is utterly creepy that is, and my inability to form an opinion on it, due to it freaking me out so much,
like I was driving along the road, seeing it pass by then suddenly doing a double take and putting on the breaks, getting out to take a better look at it then seeing it for what it was, put on a shock "WTF!?" expression on my face, while the inner gears of my brain stopped turning at the creepy spectacle of those things, and how wrong they are, in thirteen different ways, I'm not interested in your little game.

Ascension
2008-09-06, 01:12 AM
I think she was talking about me, since I said I was interested in Cinnibar. And I did post on the first page, though I guess I wasn't involved in the entire discussion.

Now my only point of confusion is this: I thought Gaia Online was an MMO? Are you running it with Fudge or are you running it through Gaia somehow?

And how could anyone call something so cute creepy?

Lyndworm
2008-09-06, 01:13 AM
Trizap, dude, back off. She was talking to Ascencion. If you don't like it, fine, but that's no reason to degrade another's interests.

I'd be willing to playtest, if I can fit it into my schedule. I might not be very punctual, so I understand if I'm rejected.

Zack

P.S.
I think my favorite moemon is Doduo... She has a bird growing out of her head. Awesome.

Ninja'd!

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 01:14 AM
It's a number of things. They currently are working on an MMO But it also hosts PBP and a ton of forumslike Giant's does w/ OOTS.

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 01:16 AM
Well, as for what I understand... there are things I like and things I either dont like or possibly dont understand.
For instance, your Bulbasaur Vinewhip example... I dont.... quite get it...

As for Mr. Trizap. I wasn't talking about your post. So try thinking before you post rude things. If you read the post you quoted there was absolutely NOTHING in it that talked about your scatterbrained post. As for your opinion I really dont care.

As for the rest of you who've read my post, I'm sorry you did. Rudeness is kinda one of my pet peeves.

Ascension
2008-09-06, 01:16 AM
It's a number of things. They currently are working on an MMO But it also hosts PBP and a ton of forumslike Giant's does w/ OOTS.

Oh, that's cool. Sorry, I just misunderstood. From my point of view it sounded like someone saying "We're going to run this D&D game in WoW."

Trizap
2008-09-06, 01:17 AM
I think she was talking about me, since I said I was interested in Cinnibar. And I did post on the first page, though I guess I wasn't involved in the entire discussion.

Now my only point of confusion is this: I thought Gaia Online was an MMO? Are you running it with Fudge or are you running it through Gaia somehow?

And how could anyone call something so cute creepy?

oh.......sorry about that, really I am as for the cute/creepiness thing...we have different tastes, it happens.

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 01:20 AM
GaiaOnline is a place alot like this. ^-^ There are forums and threads but there are also games and such. But the site is mostly forum discussions and roleplaying. ^-^

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 01:21 AM
No problem. You got your dose of medicine from Haruhi I think you're set. Knaight's trying to show how an attack works. The badges modify the attack. I don't quite get it myself but that's partly b/c it's 2:25 in the morning.:smalltongue:

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 01:22 AM
I get that part... it's the whole... Points thing I dont like.

Attacks are alot like attacks in DnD.

Lets say your pokemon only knows how to do Tackle... well a some points, that attack will be stronger than others rather that doing point damage. For example, the attacks miss, are weak, are strong or are critical. I think to decide how much damage an attack does, it should be decided by dice rolls rather than a point system.

Unless I dont understand what he's saying....

((Post #100!))

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 01:25 AM
Points? like how often you use it or what? KNAIGHT I INVOKE THEE!
there mabye that'll get his attention. anyways. He showed the three options. it boils down to MP like a generic fantasy game. times per day like most powers from DND and times per encounter which allows you to use up that attack in one battle but have a full amount of times in the next.

Ascension
2008-09-06, 01:26 AM
Maybe we should try sleeping for now and come back to this in the morning?

I think that's what I'm going to do.

Goodnight everybody.

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 01:28 AM
As for that... I think it should be "Times per Healing" If you know what I mean. When you use it a certain amount of times, you shouldnt get that back unless you use a PPup or you go to a Pokemon Center.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 01:28 AM
Night. Dear I'm calling it a night/morning whatever...
Love Ya!:smallbiggrin:

Haruhi08
2008-09-06, 01:31 AM
lol! night. Love ya too <3 And thanks to all who are helping! ^.~ I cant wait until this all comes together!

Knaight
2008-09-06, 01:40 AM
Alright, so lets see some fictional Gym(Lets say steel type, since they aren't actually in this), and all the statistics. Just to have something to base it on.). Its something along these lines correct:
Anna
Strength: Mediocre
Agility: Mediocre
Toughness: Mediocre
Stamina: Good
Intelligence: Fair

Use Pokeball: Great
Biking: Great
Administer Potion: Good
Organize Backpack: Good
Gym Knowledge: Good
Swim: Good
Construct Pokeball: Fair
Identify HM or TM: Fair
Kanto Knowledge: Fair
Program TM: Fair
Discus: Mediocre
Javelin: Mediocre

Steelix:
Strength Great
Toughness Good
Speed Fair
ODF vs Rock 2
DDF vs Fire -2
Scale 1
Slam: 5 points, ODF 2, Point Blank
Steel Tail: 7 points, ODF 5, Short
Slippery Steel: 4 points, padded minus speed to all non-steel pokemon
Steel Rush: 6 points, ODF 2, Point Blank, padded minus defense

Scisor
Strength Superb
Toughness Fair
Speed Fair
ODF vs Rock -2
DDF vs Fire -4
Scale 1
Wire Net: 6 points, -1 speed, -1 evasion. ODF 1 to escape, mediocre strength, extra strength cuts self. Long
Reverse Polarity: 4 points, switch with an ally, then switch again. Medium
Magnetic Field: 7 points, -1 speed, -1 evasion Long
Iron Sphere: 8 points, Immunity to next 2 attacks. Takes Charging. Personal

Scarmory
Strength Mediocre
Toughness Good
Speed Good
ODF vs Rock -2
DDF vs Fire -2
Immune to Ground
Scale 0
Razor Wind: 5 points, very long range, ODF 3
Screech: 3 points, padded negative to attack
Sky Attack: 8 points, point blank, ODF 6
Pursuit: 6 points, long range, ODF 4

Knaight
2008-09-06, 01:47 AM
I get that part... it's the whole... Points thing I dont like.

Attacks are alot like attacks in DnD.

Lets say your pokemon only knows how to do Tackle... well a some points, that attack will be stronger than others rather that doing point damage. For example, the attacks miss, are weak, are strong or are critical. I think to decide how much damage an attack does, it should be decided by dice rolls rather than a point system.

Unless I dont understand what he's saying....

((Post #100!))

Points is how much it costs to make an attack. ODF is attack power, and there is a lot you can do with that. In Fudge, you add relative degree to ODF, then subtract DDF, and check a wound track. Which basically means that a round in you have the ODF DDF thing memorized, add that to your roll, and know where it lands.

However there is a lot of room for variability in that. For instance an attack that relies on positioning rather than power might be ODF 0, double relative degree, where just smacking someone across the head with a big sword would just be ODF 4.

There are 3 point systems, the per fight system, the per day system, and the gained as you fight adrenaline system. The per day system is pretty much per healing. All they are are different ways of handling resource management, and have nothing to do with attack power and such.

I designed this with pokemon in mind(and that is how I am going to picture it all in my mind.), but the mechanics should be the same, and I made most of it up on the spot today.

jcsw
2008-09-06, 03:50 AM
Alright, so lets see some fictional Gym(Lets say steel type, since they aren't actually in this), and all the statistics. Just to have something to base it on.). Its something along these lines correct:
Anna
Strength: Mediocre
Agility: Mediocre
Toughness: Mediocre
Stamina: Good
Intelligence: Fair

Use Pokeball: Great
Biking: Great
Administer Potion: Good
Organize Backpack: Good
Gym Knowledge: Good
Swim: Good
Construct Pokeball: Fair
Identify HM or TM: Fair
Kanto Knowledge: Fair
Program TM: Fair
Discus: Mediocre
Javelin: Mediocre

Steelix:
Strength Great
Toughness Good
Speed Fair
ODF vs Rock 2
DDF vs Fire -2
Scale 1
Slam: 5 points, ODF 2, Point Blank
Steel Tail: 7 points, ODF 5, Short
Slippery Steel: 4 points, padded minus speed to all non-steel pokemon
Steel Rush: 6 points, ODF 2, Point Blank, padded minus defense

Scisor
Strength Superb
Toughness Fair
Speed Fair
ODF vs Rock -2
DDF vs Fire -4
Scale 1
Wire Net: 6 points, -1 speed, -1 evasion. ODF 1 to escape, mediocre strength, extra strength cuts self. Long
Reverse Polarity: 4 points, switch with an ally, then switch again. Medium
Magnetic Field: 7 points, -1 speed, -1 evasion Long
Iron Sphere: 8 points, Immunity to next 2 attacks. Takes Charging. Personal

Scarmory
Strength Mediocre
Toughness Good
Speed Good
ODF vs Rock -2
DDF vs Fire -2
Immune to Ground
Scale 0
Razor Wind: 5 points, very long range, ODF 3
Screech: 3 points, padded negative to attack
Sky Attack: 8 points, point blank, ODF 6
Pursuit: 6 points, long range, ODF 4

You can't use skarmony without having a Spikes skill! Where's the fun in that? Then you need to combo it with Roar... Hmm...

bosssmiley
2008-09-06, 05:25 AM
...I just googled it. Um....I'll let the copy/paste from google say it all...Jul 28, 2008 ... Moemon's a Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green patch that changes the Pokemon into moe -style characters (anthropomorphic anime girls, ..

Azumanga Daioh (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AzumangaDaioh)-mons? :smallconfused:

And now I have seen everything. Time to burn the world and become a hermit. :smallamused:

@OP: Girlfriend? Yeah...:smallamused:

Revlid
2008-09-06, 06:27 AM

Christ that's adorable. That's really adorable.

I like Muk and Tentacruel. And Abra. And Blastoise. And the Kangaroo one.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 07:49 AM
kanghaskhan. Anyways So you ODF to an attack's roll for damage Right? So how does character creation in you style word. I've got a handle on the attacks I think. Just flat out tell me if I'm wrong though.:smallbiggrin:
I see we have attributes for characters set at Five.
-Strength, agility, toughness, stamina, and intelligence. WHat does stamina do Because we can possibly shave it to a nice even four attributes and use the example in the free rules as a rough guide.
-Also what are the skills and how many are there total?
-Pokemon(moemon, monmon whatever) Have three attributes Right? speed, toughness and strength. I almost want to give these intelligence as well just to have every thing nice and square but that's a different matter.
- ODF vs. X is waht element they are strong against correct and the second vice versa?
-Scale I assume is their size?
-How many points or times do each of these mon get total?
- I'll figure damage out so enough as I continue reading.
Okay that's it for questions for right now. I'll check periodically throughout the day.

That girlfriend would be Haruhi08 boss. We've been dating for several months and have know each other three years.:smalltongue:

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 08:07 AM
And If the lady would prefer We do have A D20 version as well. Who knows It may be possible to use both. (D20 at gaia/ FUDGE at Giants?) I actually kinda like the like fudge system and may try a hand at it here. Knaight Would this be a problem? Also here's the link.

http://www.geocities.com/eco_mono/Pkmnd20/ (http://www.geocities.com/eco_mono/Pkmnd20/)

Ascension
2008-09-06, 09:22 AM
And If the lady would prefer We do have A D20 version as well. Who knows It may be possible to use both. (D20 at gaia/ FUDGE at Giants?) I actually kinda like the like fudge system and may try a hand at it here. Knaight Would this be a problem? Also here's the link.

[here]http://www.geocities.com/eco_mono/Pkmnd20/ (http://www.geocities.com/eco_mono/Pkmnd20/)

Oh, yeah, I've seen the rules on that site before. I always did kind of want to try them out. They look pretty nice.

EDIT: And if this is Moemon rather than Pokemon, the mons should definitely have an intelligence score. Actually, just plain Pokemon should probably have an intelligence score too, since IIRC Alakazam is supposed to be a genius level intellect.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 09:27 AM
What's there is solid from what I could tell. My only grievance is an urge to use D20 modern rules for classes(nothing actually changes) And that for me is a minimum of fuss really. I can use the Hypertext Srd and re hash the class as appropriate. At the same time I wanna do Fudge but, I know the system about as well as the back of my head. I know D20 inside out and that's what the girlfriend knows as well. In fact she mentioned she feel more comfortable doing D20 than fudge if it was feasible. Like I said maybe we can do both. One system here, one system there. Here I say flat out pokemon for my sanity's sake though:smalltongue:

Lyndworm
2008-09-06, 09:33 AM
So FUDGE Pokemon here, D20 Moemon at Gaia?

Zack

Ascension
2008-09-06, 09:34 AM
What's there is solid from what I could tell. My only grievance is an urge to use D20 modern rules for classes(nothing actually changes) And that for me is a minimum of fuss really. I can use the Hypertext Srd and re hash the class as appropriate. At the same time I wanna do Fudge but, I know the system about as well as the back of my head. I know D20 inside out and that's what the girlfriend knows as well. In fact she mentioned she feel more comfortable doing D20 than fudge if it was feasible. Like I said maybe we can do both. One system here, one system there. Here I say flat out pokemon for my sanity's sake though:smalltongue:

Fudge Pokemon here and d20 Moemon on Gaia? That would work. I'm not really Fudge-savvy anyway, so switching to the d20 variant would be nice for me.

EDIT: Ninja'd by someone saying almost the exact same thing! Whee!

And while I'm here... Charizard starts out CR 11 and medium-sized by the d20 variant? Lame.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 09:37 AM
Gotta pass it by haruhi and knaight But I imagine that would be no trouble.
(since when was I the guy who planned out things?:smallconfused:)
Continuing Raise your hand if you know how to stat out D20 monsters Because even with the site we have a lot of work to get done boy-os!:smallbiggrin:

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 09:51 AM
(gotta stop double posting...)
Any particulars you guys want to stake a claim in. Pokemon that you want to help stat. Skills, feats? Just Either posts or Pm me and I'll Start making my list and checking it twice.:smallbiggrin:
Current things to hammer out for a D20 version.
- I myself would prefer modern since it is a modern world after all.
- Pokeballs( No jokes! on the moemon topic!) D20 version should it be a base skill or a set of feats.
- should we include regular DND monsters as well?(moe-tarrasque:smalleek:)
- Techniques and battling in D20 needs a revamp. We may be able to steal stuff out of 4E(times per encounter and whatnot) But, this would mean applyin this to all mons included.
- I'm staying at the first 150 for now. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Lyndworm
2008-09-06, 10:02 AM
I don't want to help with anything in particular, but I'll help when/where I can. I'm a little unfamiliar with D20 Modern, so I can't really stat out all them pokemons. Still, if you need anything, I'll see what I can do.

By the the way, the moetarrasque is the most beautiful and horrifying thought I've had in a while.

Zack

Ascension
2008-09-06, 10:10 AM
- I myself would prefer modern since it is a modern world after all.

Sort of modern. On the one hand, the primary mode of transportation seems to be the bicycle, roads are in poor shape overall, and cities are isolated spots of civilization in the midst of vast expanses of monster-filled wilderness, on the other hand they have incredibly advanced item storage and healing technologies.

Anyway, mechanics-wise what would that do beyond making the trainers more squishy (which wouldn't really matter, since they shouldn't be attacked directly anyway)? I've only ever played d20 Modern in a one-shot at a con, and aside from the massive damage threshold being lower it just seemed like D&D without magic and with some guns thrown in.

- Pokeballs( No jokes! on the moemon topic!) D20 version should it be a base skill or a set of feats.

Must... resist... terrible... humor...

Anyway, are you asking about Pokeball "weapons proficiency" or whatever? Well, the Pokemon trainer base class should get that for free, and pretty much everyone should use the trainer class... unless, to create more variety in the characters, we made it gestalt, with everyone being a Pokemon trainer//something else.

- should we include regular DND monsters as well?(moe-tarrasque:smalleek:)

I'd say only include D&D monsters if it's a D&D game, and probably not unless it's gestalt to boot. D&D monsters, unlike Pokemon, wouldn't hesitate to attack the trainer, meaning a d20 Modern trainer would probably get splatted right quick.

- Techniques and battling in D20 needs a revamp. We may be able to steal stuff out of 4E(times per encounter and whatnot) But, this would mean applyin this to all mons included.

We could just use the mons as that site statted them out. Giving them at will/per day/encounter powers would fit the flavor better, but it's not strictly necessary and would require a heap of homebrewing. I wouldn't mind the homebrewing, but I'm not very good at determining CR.

- I'm staying at the first 150 for now. No ifs ands or buts about it.

No complaints from me there.

EDIT: Something we need to change, methinks, is to make Pokemon advancement an experience-based thing and not a "Handle Animal" check.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 10:28 AM
In truth I have a very hard time killing D20 modern characters. You can easily use D20 modern thanks to the whole fast, smart etc. focus of the base classes and allow for greater variety in characters. A trainer advanced class wouldn't be hard to do and I can do variations of it using a style like the talent trees.
D20 Modern Mons work the same as DND mons. no trouble with statting them out and show me the stats if you have trouble with CR I can figure those out pretty easily.

Agreed. I imagine a series of checks and also a little bit of level basedness.
For EX. Handle animal let's control anything however making a class check versus the CR of a Mon is you asserting your authority and telling it to listen up.
Basically you and the mon roll a D20 add your level or CR see who's is higher or something like that.

Lyndworm
2008-09-06, 10:38 AM
Shouldn't it be the level of your pokemon vs. the CR of the wild pokemon? Just basing it off of the games, but pokemon rarely seem intimidated by trainers, but frequently by higher-level pokemon.

Zack

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 10:40 AM
I was thinking of trainers with unruly mons but that also could work. For capturing Mons as well.
Moe-mindflayer mon.

Ascension
2008-09-06, 10:42 AM
It might actually be a good idea (just brainstorming here) to do Savage Species-style monster classes for the various mons and then advance them by class instead of HD. It would make things a bit easier to understand on the advancement front.

Also, we could give said class a maneuver progression sort of like the Tome of Battle classes or 4E in order to model the limitations on attack usage.

I'm better at homebrewing classes than I am at homebrewing monsters, so I think this would be easier on me as well as clearer for the players.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 10:49 AM
You may be onto something. I kinda fail on classes though But I can easily still stat out wild versions. Howmany levels per mon is gonna be a pain. Maybe five per evolution? So a Three tier Mon has a fifteen level progression that's not that bad really. I've never read tome of battle so I'm gonna need some help in that category but it sounds well sound.

Aboleth moemon....:smalleek:

Ascension
2008-09-06, 10:56 AM
You may be onto something. I kinda fail on classes though But I can easily still stat out wild versions. Howmany levels per mon is gonna be a pain. Maybe five per evolution? So a Three tier Mon has a fifteen level progression that's not that bad really. I've never read tome of battle so I'm gonna need some help in that category but it sounds well sound.

Aboleth moemon....:smalleek:

We could just go the whole Tome of Battle route, with each type of attacks being a separate school, and the default attack if one is out of maneuvers would just be a simple slam a la the ubiquitous tackle.

I think we should go 1-20 with everyone. After all, you can take any Pokemon to max level. Evolutions would be like prestige classes, with the minimum entry requirements usually allowing first evolution after fifth level and second evolution after tenth, at least for three-stage... two-stage Pokemon might wait and evolve after seventh, while single form Pokemon obviously wouldn't evolve at all but would just single-class their way to level 20.

I'm going to stat out some examples, probably the Charmander/meleon/zard classes, and some fire maneuvers based off of the Desert Wind school from the Tome of Battle.

I'll post a thread for this in homebrew once I'm done to the point that it's presentable, but I'll provide a link here as well.

Prometheus
2008-09-06, 11:08 AM
I'm late entering the conversation but it sounds like you are doing this based on a 3.5 D&D system. If that's the case, the pokemaster class from this link (http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/pokemaster.html) could help out a lot. I bookmarked it when someone posted it in a Homebrews thread about using Pokemon and the class actually looks really fun to play (personally I was planning on switching the fluff into a summoner-type).

Of course, most people don't consider D&D exceptionally rules-light.

Also, gamer-chicks are totally worth it - no matter what they are into.

Also, also, someone needs to make a chibi version of Black Dragoon's avatar.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 11:22 AM
???Why me??? Side's this is'nt even what the actual Black dragoon should look like. anyways We keep linking to that class!
I'll guess to ease the burden we'll call that the class to beat for now. As for poke'mon why not just turn the schools into their various elements?
Desert Wind='s fire So it applies to all fire mon not just the chars.
These could really easily be our TMs and HMs guys! Somebody needs to list these out while look for ToB for free.:smallwink:

Ascension
2008-09-06, 11:26 AM
I'm late entering the conversation but it sounds like you are doing this based on a 3.5 D&D system. If that's the case, the pokemaster class from this link (http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/pokemaster.html) could help out a lot. I bookmarked it when someone posted it in a Homebrews thread about using Pokemon and the class actually looks really fun to play (personally I was planning on switching the fluff into a summoner-type).

That's what we've been discussing today.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 11:30 AM
Ascension, can you give us list of the corresponding elements to the schools?

Lyndworm
2008-09-06, 11:40 AM
Desert Wind - Fire
Devoted Spirit - Holy, in D&D
Diamond Mind - Psychic?
Ironheart - Ground/Rock?
Setting Sun - Fighting?
Shadow Hand - No clue.
Stone Dragon - Fighting/Rock?
Tiger Claw - No clue.
White Raven - Mixed.

The ToB maneuvers aren't really aligned with elements, more along the lines of specific ideals.

Zack

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 11:43 AM
Anyway to tweak them to work in elemental lines though? or better yet pull out the hardware and boot up new software based on those mechanics;)

Ascension
2008-09-06, 11:48 AM
Ascension, can you give us list of the corresponding elements to the schools?

They don't all have corresponding elements, and they'd all need to be run through the homebrew wringer before being used, but here's a basic list, more or less...

Desert Wind: Fire. Very, very fire. Part of the reason I'm starting with the Chars is because Fire will require the least homebrewing.

Devoted Spirit: This school doesn't really fit Pokemon very well. It'd be normal type, though. Some of its abilities might be good for Chansey, Clefairy, or the like.

Diamond Mind: Perhaps psychic, although it's a good bit more physical than most psychic types.

Iron Heart: The flavor is most like steel type, but mechanically there's little elementalness to this school.

Setting Sun: Fighting. This would be good for the Machop line in particular.

Shadow Hand: Ghost/psychic, depending on the maneuver.

Stone Dragon: Pretty good rock/ground school.

Tiger Claw: A good bit more bloodthirsty than pokemon have any right to be, and no elemental flavor, either. You might be able to get some bug-type maneuvers out of this, though... I could see Scyther or Pinsir using Tiger Claw. Maybe Meowth, too, just 'cause of the name.

White Raven: Another that doesn't fit Pokemon well at all.

Several elemental types will have to be made up whole-cloth, and even Desert Wind needs some work before its usable for Pokemon.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 11:54 AM
Like I said pull out what we need and scrap the junk. So fire type maneuvers are pretty much set by the sounds of things. I'd say let's focus on the basics right now the primary elements and expand outward.
fire-pretty well handeled
water/ice- umm...?
electric- um...?
ground- somewhat...
flying....??
psychic- a little anybody think of using psionics?
I'll keep changing this up.

Knaight
2008-09-06, 01:15 PM
kanghaskhan. Anyways So you ODF to an attack's roll for damage Right? So how does character creation in you style word. I've got a handle on the attacks I think. Just flat out tell me if I'm wrong though.:smallbiggrin:
Yes, although attacks are typically an opposed action, and only the winner adds it. ODF is typically determined by strength, the second ODF is a bonus against certain types.

I see we have attributes for characters set at Five.
-Strength, agility, toughness, stamina, and intelligence. WHat does stamina do Because we can possibly shave it to a nice even four attributes and use the example in the free rules as a rough guide.
Stamina would be stuff like resisting disease, running long distance, forced marching, not falling asleep, etc. Just still give out 2 free levels, I totally winged this character.

-Also what are the skills and how many are there total?

I just made up the skills, but as for skill groups, you would want something along the lines of: Athletics, Professional, Technology, Pokemon Related, Combat. The sample character I made had 3 points in Pokemon Related and 2 in athletics.

-Pokemon(moemon, monmon whatever) Have three attributes Right? speed, toughness and strength. I almost want to give these intelligence as well just to have every thing nice and square but that's a different matter.

Go ahead, and they also get evasion. I just didn't bother with evasion or intelligence for a Gym Leader.

- ODF vs. X is waht element they are strong against correct and the second vice versa?
ODF vs. X is what element they are strong against, right. I'm thinking we can actually remove the DDF vs. X except for in cases where they just suck(ie, Scizor against fire)

-Scale I assume is their size?

Would be, I'm using it for evolutions sake. Which is why steelix has a scale of 1 and not 7.

-How many points or times do each of these mon get total?

I'm thinking that 100 would work for per fight, or 250 for per healing.

- I'll figure damage out so enough as I continue reading.
Okay that's it for questions for right now. I'll check periodically throughout the day.

Look read the fudge document already. Although I can understand the difficulty, you read through it once and I'm really futzing around with the mechanics here, since the game makes it so inviting.

Oh, and off topic but really cool. Best. Combat. Addition. Ever. (http://www.fudgefactor.org/2005/08/cinematic-damage-alternatives.html)

Kami2awa
2008-09-06, 01:24 PM
Must avoid making furry jokes...

http://www.xkcd.com/471/

Ascension
2008-09-06, 01:35 PM
http://www.xkcd.com/471/

This is a totally different thing from furriness, though, at least for me. I like the Moemon for the same reason I like mecha (http://www.gearsonline.net/gundam/gundamgirls/alex-girl-02.jpg) girls (http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m221/phantomxp/Wallpaper%20Anime/Mecha%20Girls/akibakko-11686811463674.jpg).

Knaight
2008-09-06, 01:43 PM
Well, to be honest I'm much more interested in the Fudge aspect. See I know both Fudge and D20 like the back of my hand, and Fudge is the one without arthritis. I might be able to make pokeball stats or something for d20, but no promises. Plus I don't particularly want to go to Gaia, so I'll just do the Fudge bit. And I still call vermillion. Of course, this is all moot if that Cinematic Damage alternatives bit converted you to Fudge.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 02:50 PM
I like Fudge but I'm going to be the go to guy for her at Gaia and she knows D20 better. The cinematic damage rules from I've read so far are pretty nice though and Like I said here at giant's where there people that know the rules I'm more than willing to play fudge. Also I have been reading the rules It was eight o' clock this morning when I posted that. I've read a large portion of the character creation rules so far and am moving into combat.

Knaight
2008-09-06, 02:55 PM
Alright. Yeah if you read the document it makes everything so far make so much more sense. I would have to advocate re-reading the thread after reading the rules, and seeing it with new eyes so to speak. Although for the giant in the playground game you should invite Gauntlet/his kids from the other forum.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 02:58 PM
certainly I'm not elitist in gaming and it would be their baby too. They just have deal with only a hundred fifty mon is all.

Knaight
2008-09-06, 03:23 PM
Huh? I'm confused, that last post made no sense.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 03:38 PM
They are more than welcome to join they're helping you at the other end in the fudge forums I'd be honored to have them in this at giants or gaia or both even.

Drascin
2008-09-06, 03:42 PM
Okay, I have only read a bit because the thread is long and I'm lacking time, but... I have directed pokemon games. A couple times, in fact. Having the pokemon be even cuter should not be of excessive bearing to the ruleset itself. So maybe I could help you a bit.

Myself, I used BESM. For something like pokémon, you pretty much need something point based, not class based, due to all the odd things the pokemon world gives us. I just went with BESM because I had the manual, and GURPS was much too complicated. A more basic system of BESM, Tri-Stat DX, is free to download, so google it if you want. It's also relatively rules light, in that the game itself tells you it's mostly suggestions.

If you prefer to keep d20, I'm right now trying Mutants and Masterminds and, while supposedly superhero, it's completely customizable, and a great crossbreed between pointbased games and d20 mechanics. You could try that.

Also, I'm also a guy, 21, and I have played moemon. And Touhoumon, for that matter. Hell, as I said, I have DM'd two pokemon games. It's not really that weird, man :smallwink:

EDIT: well, I should read the last page of things, instead of the first. You're going with FUDGE, then?

Knaight
2008-09-06, 03:45 PM
Were attempting to go with both Fudge and D20 Modern. The Fudge side should work pretty well though, seeing as its classless and rules light.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 03:48 PM
For giants yeah, at gaia we're using D20 with the trainer class. The more I look at the situation one single class works the best. I may create variant class features to spice it up and maybe a gym leader Prestige class but that one class should cover D20.
the mons are currently being mauled over and we may...well just read the last two pages and you'll get it better than I can explain it.:smallwink:

Knaight
2008-09-06, 04:34 PM
They pretty much covered that bit. So to fill in the gaps:
Pokeballs
Pokeball-Target Level 3, DC 13 will save
Great Ball-Target Level 6, DC 17 will save
Ultra Ball-Target Level 9, DC 21 will save

Pokeballs are handled as a touch attack, which if it hits forces a will save vs. capture. All pokeballs have a target level associated with them, for those under the target level get only 1 save. Those above the target level get 2 saves, those twice the target level get 3 saves, those three times the target level get 4 saves, etc. A pokemon at 1/2 HP gets 1 less save, or a -2 penalty if they only get 1 save anyways. A pokemon at 1/4 HP gets 2 less saves, or a -4 penalty if they only get one save. A pokemon must fail all saves to be caught.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 04:36 PM
That sounds pretty good. I assume the fudge versions have to beat their scale?
That said is the master ball auto-capture?

Knaight
2008-09-06, 05:06 PM
Fudge versions have to deal with their scale. For fudge its an opposed check, Use Pokeballs vs. Evasion Attribute then RD+ODF-DDF(affected by wounds of course), Incapacitate=Caught. The DDF here would actually be scale, so it comes into affect.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 05:09 PM
I figured as much though every time I hear scale now I can't help but to think:
HE'S OVER NINE-THOUSAND!!!!
but anyway. I think we can safely begin posting your fudge stats here so that others can see what they have to work with also, I like five point character creation and the skill system We will probably use that that with a modified skill chart to better fit the poke-verse.

Knaight
2008-09-06, 05:35 PM
Scale measures size. I think that the entire galaxy is something along the lines of scale 500, since its exponential. The modified skill chart is already in this forum somewhere, sans skills, but it has the categories. You should start a new thread, with the opening post having everything, then discussion. In the homebrew forum.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 05:41 PM
I agree. I'll have to consolidate everything But it should be no trouble. Yeah Haruhi is saying She's going w/ D20 For gaia moemon. Bigtime.

The second thread is up.

Knaight
2008-09-06, 06:44 PM
Alright, be taking a look then.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 06:45 PM
It's just links at the moment Haruhi is posting a list of TMs and HMs for reference though.

Knaight
2008-09-06, 07:06 PM
Well links, my organisation section(which would be nice if you copied it), etc. You might want to copy the organisation section from my post, and keep the best of what people offer in it.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 07:09 PM
Double post
Here's How I see Giants Fudge Pokemon YEs?

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs27/f/2008/136/f/d/POKEMON___Venom_Candy_by_blix_it.jpg

click on it...I have no computer skills....

Knaight
2008-09-06, 07:20 PM
Well aim for that with description anyways.

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 07:21 PM
Yeah I was impressed.:smallbiggrin:

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 08:14 PM
double post.
Read this and give it a good think.

Over the past couple years Pokemon has become an incredibley popular universe for children all around the world. Kids from 3 to thirteen are drawn to the simple plot, colorful characters, and the fantastic idea of traveling without adult supervision in a world of strange and powerful animals at their beck and command. They flock to purchase and own anything and everything Pokemon. But as many fans as Pokemon has, it has enemies. Critics find Pokemon dull, redundant, annoying, cutsey, and basically downright insulting to their intelligence. Surely it is made for children. So why would I, a twenty year old college student, an intelligent (I hope) scholar be so taken by such a simple, childish, plotless TV show? potential.
I look at pokemon and I see the potential of a facinating story. Their culture is dominated by the juxtaposed relationship of human beings (the dominant “advanced” species) and pokemon (the “uncivilized” cultures used for entertainment), and centered around a variable bloodsport. Once one strips it to its essential elements, once one looks past the goofy, balloon-like character design, the poor plot development, and the stories built solely for children, the world of Pokemon offers a critique of our own societies, violence-driven, love-driven. I once read that what makes a really good story is the employment of universal elements of human interest and behavior. pokemon has those underlying elements but doesn’t use them in it’s various incarnations: games, shows, movies, ect.. However, once these essential elements are realized it can be as dark, disturbing, complex, and philosophically involved as one might want for it to be.
Imagine a world in which one society rules and dominates a myriad of so called “lesser societies”; so called simply due to a lack of communication between the two. As someone concerned with animal rights I can see abundant similarities to our own relationship to “lesser” beings, but, that not being the focus of my rant I shall leave it as simply a parallel. The pokemon, intelligent, cultured creatures in their own right, are captured, enslaved and forced to fight each other until one faints. A real animal can take a hell of a beating before it loses conciousness. pokemon are repeatedly scratched, bitten, burned, poisoned, and even attacked physchologically to a point that their bodies shut down to unconciousness. And then they are healed and have to do it all over again. The show dummies it down; it gives the impression that they would all be happy to fight for their respective trainers, but surely not all of them would be too keen on being taken from their homes to be brutalized by other pokemon. Why would any of them even feel obligated to do so, being proven just as capable of critical thought as human beings? Well that’s a good question. Why not come up with our own answers? The more questions one comes up with, the more interesting and multi-faceted the whole Pokemon universe becomes, and that was only one small fraction of the potential. Each and every pokemon species would have it’s own myths, society, and culture. Imagine the idea, the essentials, put into the hands of such an accomplished author and world-builder as Ursula K. LeGuin and then you’ll see what I see. And that’s what I like about Pokemon.

To top it off there's a pic of two the newer wolf type mons ripping into each done realistically.

http://transypoo.deviantart.com/gallery/#Pokemon and then we have this link.

Ascension
2008-09-06, 09:22 PM
Sorry, everyone, I think I spoke too soon about my involvement with this whole thing. I'm about to start running a game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89988), and I don't think I'll have time to commit to gym-leading and massive homebrewing on the side. I apologize.

EDIT: "Real Life" Mr. Mime is nightmare fuel (http://transypoo.deviantart.com/art/Real-Live-Pokemon-no-53-89782229).

Kaihaku
2008-09-06, 09:51 PM
I didn't even know this existed until ten minutes ago...and I think I might have been a much happier then...

But here is (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm) a system that might be easily adaptable. :smallbiggrin:

black dragoon
2008-09-06, 09:54 PM
We know. For gaia it's DND based for here it's Fudge. Please feel free to help though. It would be very appreciated.

Knaight
2008-09-06, 10:12 PM
Yeah we need help. On the fudge front in particular, we need help(Right now there are 3 of us, and I'm the only one with any system knowledge to speak of. Its a rules light system, which is why we are as far as we are(all A and B moves on day 1), but there is still a lot of work)

Haruhi08
2008-09-09, 04:47 PM
Definately need help. xD

tribble
2008-09-09, 05:01 PM
I must say.. that link to the "Moemon" list...will require several magnums of brain bleach to remove...twitch...twitch...

black dragoon
2008-09-09, 05:02 PM
yeah...you kinda learn to block out the image after awhile. :smallwink:
So you in? We need the help I'm doing my best on the D20 as is Knaight on the fudge but it's still a daunting task.

Elephant
2008-09-09, 08:24 PM
Nothing wrong with trying to make your significant other happy. Look at it this way....at least she wants to get into gaming! Maybe BESM? That whole game is set around Anime in general.

I play in a BESM game twice a month. I wouldn't describe it as anime at all.

Does the book have an anime theme? Yes.
Can you represent anime concepts in BESM? Yes.
Does that mean that a BESM game is necessarily Anime? Not in the slightest :)

black dragoon
2008-09-09, 08:28 PM
Now I'm confused. You wanna help?:smallbiggrin:

black dragoon
2008-09-14, 11:03 AM
Alright guys I won't give the whole spiel but here goes. We are dividing the D20 class system into more bite sized chunks so that it goes to level One hundred....
THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO REDO EVERYTHING!
I'm just posting this to show a general gauge of how One-hundred levels works in D20.

Lv. 1-2 = +114 EXP
Lv. 2-3 = +122 EXP
Lv. 3-4 = +130 EXP
Lv. 4-5 = +134 EXP
Lv. 8-9 = +215 EXP
Lv. 9-10 = +225 EXP
Lv. 13-14 = +425 EXP
Lv. 14-15 = +450 EXP
Lv. 18-19 = +850 EXP
Lv. 19-20 = +900 EXP
Lv. 23-24 = +1700 EXP
Lv. 24-25 = +1800 EXP
Lv. 28-29 = +3400 EXP
Lv. 29-30 = +3600 EXP
Lv. 33-34 = +6800 EXP
Lv. 34-35 = +7200 EXP
Lv. 38-39 = +13600 EXP
Lv. 39-40 = +14400 EXP
Lv. 43-44 = +27200 EXP
Lv. 44-45 = +28800 EXP
Lv. 48-49 = +54400 EXP
Lv. 49-50 = +57600 EXP
Lv. 53-54 = +108800 EXP
Lv. 54-55 = +115200 EXP
Lv. 58-59 = +217600 EXP
Lv. 59-60 = +320400 EXP
Lv. 63-64 = +435200 EXP
Lv. 64-65 = +460800 EXP
Lv. 68-69 = +870400 EXP
Lv. 69-70 = +921600 EXP
Lv. 73-74 = +1740800 EXP
Lv. 74-75 = +1843200 EXP
Lv. 73-79 = +3481600 EXP
Lv. 79-80 = +3686400 EXP
Lv. 83-84 = +6963200 EXP
Lv. 84-85 = +7372800 EXP
Lv. 88-89 = +13926400 EXP
Lv. 89-90 = +14745600 EXP
Lv. 93-94 = +27852800 EXP
Lv. 94-95 = +29491200 EXP
Lv. 98-99 = +55705600 EXP
Lv. 99-100 = +58982400 EXP

Oslecamo
2008-09-14, 07:35 PM
I play in a BESM game twice a month. I wouldn't describe it as anime at all.

Does the book have an anime theme? Yes.
Can you represent anime concepts in BESM? Yes.
Does that mean that a BESM game is necessarily Anime? Not in the slightest :)

That's more or less like saying that if you're found with a bloody dagger in your hands with a dead stabbed body at your feets nobody will will suspect you may have just comited murder or something else nasty.

Anyway, anime is a style of japanese animation. Not of story. There are all kind of stories in anime and it's impossible to make any kind of all emcompassing rules for it all.

So, it's actually impossible to have an anime campaign, unless you're willing to make TV animations for everything that happens.

black dragoon
2008-09-14, 07:39 PM
osle you in? If so I've got a whole bin of stuff that needs to be worked on!:smallbiggrin:

Haruhi08
2008-09-16, 11:59 PM
I'd take that as a no... xD

Teron
2008-09-17, 01:44 AM
Perverse (not the same as "perverted", damn it!) curiosity compels me to ask: how will you be handling the fluff aspects? Will the "moe-mon" act like pokémon or little girls? Will they "evolve" by spontaneously transforming, or by manually changing costumes? Will you make any attempt to adapt pokémon "culture" to the moe-mon, or just accept/embrace the... strangeness of capturing costumed children in the wilderness and making them fight for sport?

Haruhi08
2008-09-17, 07:01 PM
Actually, I think we have decided to just do the good ole Pokemon instead Moemon.