PDA

View Full Version : Something just occured to me...

Fawkes
2008-09-06, 12:33 AM
Roy's been dead for well over a year. It doesn't feel like it's been nearly that long.

<_<

>_>

Does this seem odd to anyone else, or am I just crazy from being up so late?

Chronos
2008-09-06, 12:37 AM
Well over a year of our time, but it's only been about 8 months in-comic.

Does this seem odd to anyone else, or am I just crazy from being up so late? The two are not mutually exclusive.

Fawkes
2008-09-06, 12:41 AM
The two are not mutually exclusive.

AHA! SPY!

*wrench'd*

I've been playing too much Team Fortress 2.

Blackdog
2008-09-06, 07:33 AM
AHA! SPY!

*wrench'd*

I've been playing too much Team Fortress 2.

You could just claim you were using logic gate style inclusive OR, in which case the answer would be "yes".

DraPrime
2008-09-06, 07:35 AM
It does seem like less than a year, but it's still way too long.

Tal9922
2008-09-06, 07:48 AM
Well over a year of our time, but it's only been about 8 months in-comic.

Woah, 8 months? You sure? Because just because alot has happened since the time skip, it doesn't mean alot of time passed...

Blaznak
2008-09-06, 07:49 AM
I just think he's been dead "at the speed of plot". Dunno exactly how long, but its still working for me, so... Go Dead Roy!

NerfTW
2008-09-06, 08:03 AM
Woah, 8 months? You sure? Because just because alot has happened since the time skip, it doesn't mean alot of time passed...

Three months passed during the time skip. At that time, Kazumi wasn't showing at all. Now she's visibly pregnent. She is anywhere from six to eight months along.

Also, according to the map in War and XPs, Greysky is quite a ways away from Azure City.

cAnz
2008-09-06, 08:27 AM
Roy has been dead since strip 443. :smallannoyed:

THATS 147 STRIPS!
:smallmad:

COME ON RICH! BRING ROY BACK ALREADY!!! :smallfrown:

FabuVinny
2008-09-06, 08:57 AM
Roy has made appearances during those 147 strips. He even had an arc to himself.

He'll come back to life when Rich decides that the plot is ready for it. The team will probably be back together at the end of the next paperback so it's just a matter of watching the current plots conclude.

Chronos
2008-09-06, 12:54 PM
Woah, 8 months? You sure?Yes. Roy spent four months dead before he started scrying, at which point Kazumi was 8 weeks pregnant. So he'd been dead for two months when she got pregnant. Her statement to the ninja in the first panel of the previous strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0589.html) implies that she's now 6 months pregnant. Six months of pregnancy plus two months of Roy being dead before she got pregnant makes eight months that Roy's been dead.

Lissou
2008-09-06, 01:34 PM
Yes. Roy spent four months dead before he started scrying, at which point Kazumi was 8 weeks pregnant. So he'd been dead for two months when she got pregnant. Her statement to the ninja in the first panel of the previous strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0589.html) implies that she's now 6 months pregnant. Six months of pregnancy plus two months of Roy being dead before she got pregnant makes eight months that Roy's been dead.

I don't think azumi meant she went through half a year already, but rather that she will by the time she gives birth. I mean, it's not like she'd start having them right when she gets pregnant, it makes absolutely no sense.

I'd rather look at Durkon's comment about having been annoyed wih V for 6 months. I think Roy has been dead for 6 months right now. In-comic.

Also, It does feel like the end of War and XPs and the break were just a few months ago. It went pretty fast if you ask me.

David Argall
2008-09-06, 02:49 PM
I don't think azumi meant she went through half a year already, but rather that she will by the time she gives birth. I mean, it's not like she'd start having them right when she gets pregnant, it makes absolutely no sense.
It makes more sense if we assume she is more than 6 months along. While one can look ahead, the strip situation is one where the casual focus is on pain suffered, not future pain.

I'd rather look at Durkon's comment about having been annoyed wih V for 6 months. I think Roy has been dead for 6 months right now. In-comic.
But there is no reason to date the start of annoying the same as Roy's death. Indeed, at the wedding party, Durkon does not seem particularly annoyed with V, at least not beyond the level he has been annoyed for at least a year. Even if we do assume he is annoyed then, we can't backdate it to Roy's death. The party had expected they would have to contact Haley, and Durkon would have supported continued efforts for some time after the fall of Azure City. So we are talking Roy dead seven months or more.

Also, It does feel like the end of War and XPs and the break were just a few months ago. It went pretty fast if you ask me.
That is the result of the number of comics, not the passage of time. After all, we had just had 60-70 comics to cover 1 day. So we can't measure passage of time that way.

Lissou
2008-09-06, 03:00 PM
My last comment was about real time, not in-comic time.

Can Kazumi be more than 6 months pregnant, though? How long was it between "new year" in Azure City and Roy's death? Is Belkar supposed to die before the end of Azure City's New Year, or Northern New year, which was a few months earlier? Wouldn't Kazumi being more than 6 months pregnant make it 1185 already? Also, wouldn't Haley and Celia have reached Cliffport already by then rather than Greysky, that was closer?
They were supposed to reach Cliffport around the time the cloister spell stopped, which was at least 20 weeks after Roy's death (at least, the way they calculated it). Even counting a small backtrack to see the oracle, it wouldn't turn 20 weeks (4-5 months after Roy's death) into almost double that amount.

EDIT: when I said it didn't make sene ofr Kazumi to say she has already been through 6 months of hemorrhoids, I was talking from a biological point of view: women don't get them the second they get pregnant. They're cause by the foetuse weighing on the veins in the lower body and the higher amount of blood circulating due to pregnancy. It would make sense for them to appear late enough that they're there for 6 months overall. If she's had them for 8 months, she's probably at least 8 months pregnant, which I don't think is possible.

Now, of course, Rich might not be respecting that to the letter. It's also possible that some women might be different. The rule of funny is the most important here. But loo at the sentence: "did you suffer through 6 months of hemmorrhoids to get them. She won't get a kid until she gives birth, so the 6 months seem to mean "6 monhts overall" to me. It sounds more logical that way.

varto
2008-09-08, 06:17 PM
Actually the real problem with Roy spending x time dead brings another problem.
One group is battling a giant demon and the other group is in the middle of a hostile town, so... by the time Roy comes back, he should be lower level than the rest of the party. How could he remain being the leader of the team if he is "weakest" member?

chiasaur11
2008-09-08, 06:20 PM
One group is battling a giant demon and the other group is in the middle of a hostile town, so... by the time Roy comes back, he should be lower level than the rest of the party. How could he remain being the leader of the team if he is "weakest" member?

By being the only one with both a lick of common sense and enough force of personality to persuade anyone to do anything?

NerfTW
2008-09-08, 08:15 PM

That depends entirely on how you define "weak". Roy can take V if he/she is out of spells, but if V got the drop on any member of the team, he/she could easily take them out. Power is not what makes Roy the leader. Except in the case of Belkar, which is negated by the mark of justice, which was clearly planned to give Belkar a reason not to simply kill Haley and run after the battle.