PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jukebox

kjones
2008-09-06, 09:49 AM
My players in a 3.5 campaign recently acquired a tavern, and expressed an interest in installing a magic jukebox. Any idea how I would go about representing this with the rules?

Starsinger
2008-09-06, 09:52 AM
Warforged Bard 1 with Dexterity of 0? :smalltongue:

Hairb
2008-09-06, 09:53 AM
A set of instruments, animated with the Animate Objects spell.

Tallis
2008-09-06, 10:13 AM
Wondrous item casts ghost sound at will? Buttons trigger seperate casting of different songs.

shadow_archmagi
2008-09-06, 10:20 AM

I always wondered how someone with absolutely no hand-eye coordination could play a musical instrument better than someone who was ugly and hated by all.

Prometheus
2008-09-06, 10:21 AM
I say go with a wind-up music box that has different songs depending on the way someone grips the handle (gentle-soft light music, hard-heavy loud etc) and can tell what type song they want to hear but they never play the same song twice.

Flickerdart
2008-09-06, 10:25 AM
I always wondered how someone with absolutely no hand-eye coordination could play a musical instrument better than someone who was ugly and hated by all.
CHA != looks. Mindflayers are butt-ugly, but they get a huge racial bonus to it. It's more like force of personality.

Which means politicians can all jam pretty well. :smallconfused:

Ascension
2008-09-06, 10:26 AM

Performance is all about perception. Sure, their music is terrible without good DEX, but they have just enough charisma to make you like them anyway, somehow.

See William Hung.

jcsw
2008-09-06, 10:28 AM
A set of instruments, animated with the Animate Objects spell.

'm pretty sure the animate instruments spell would be better for this. (comp. Scoundrel)

(You'll need to convince your DM to let you permanency this though. But it's not as if it's a far stretch, since animate objects can be permanancied.)

Thurbane
2008-09-06, 07:01 PM
I'd say some kind of object with a series of permanent Ghost Sound cantrips cast on it...

drengnikrafe
2008-09-07, 12:01 AM
What about a box imbuned with Ghost Sound (infinite per day) with a copper piece as a material componant? The user simply has to focus on what they want to hear, and it plays that. After the person purchasing the song stops playing the tune in their head, it plays that a few more times. Then, the copper piece is transported to the PC (or somewhere else, at least).

Xyk
2008-09-07, 12:04 AM
I like the warforged bard with dex 0.

Collin152
2008-09-07, 12:05 AM
Which means politicians can all jam pretty well. :smallconfused:

I refrence Bill Clinton's Sax.

BobVosh
2008-09-07, 12:49 AM

I bequeath unto thee an internet(s)

You need a Fonze to make it work properly though.

Hairb
2008-09-07, 01:57 AM

At Dex 0 this bard of yours wouldn't be able to move at all. What instrument is he meant to play then?

MisterSaturnine
2008-09-07, 02:11 AM
At Dex 0 this bard of yours wouldn't be able to move at all. What instrument is he meant to play then?

His heart.

bosssmiley
2008-09-07, 08:21 AM
D&D AC10 "Book of Wondrous Inventions" - home of the magic boombox (used the D&D equivalanets of scry and ghost sound in combo to tune into local bardic performances IIRC). :smallsmile:

The same volume of inspired lunacy was also the home of the black pudding dishwasher, the gnomish ATM, the Mimic soda vending machine, the magic washing machine (spin cycle was a skeleton doing acrobatics), of the carrion crawler-towed dungeon cleaning machine, of a thaumo-mechanical track faker, and of the deadly djinn-built gymnasium of doom. :smallcool:

Jimp
2008-09-07, 08:47 AM
A big box with dancing lights and a different ghost sound for each track.

Starsinger
2008-09-07, 08:56 AM

Oh it's not my bard. If I wanted a jukebox I'd just have a jukebox. As for what instrument he plays? His voice box is really a magi-tech phonograph.

Dragonmuncher
2008-09-07, 09:37 AM
What about a box imbuned with Ghost Sound (infinite per day) with a copper piece as a material componant? The user simply has to focus on what they want to hear, and it plays that. After the person purchasing the song stops playing the tune in their head, it plays that a few more times. Then, the copper piece is transported to the PC (or somewhere else, at least).

I really like this, actually.