PDA

View Full Version : The Rex Rider [3.5, PRC, Dinosaurs]

Xallace
2008-09-06, 10:39 AM
It's just an idea I had. A while ago, admittedly. Never wrote any fluff for it, I don't think. It's about using a Tyrannosaurus as a mount. A good number of the classes from the PHB can access it. This class is based on the Ashworm Dragoon from the Sandstorm supplement, but hopefully it's different enough.

Any comments are very much appreciated!

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +11
Feats: Mounted Combat
Skills: Handle Animal 18 ranks, Ride 18 Ranks

Hit Dice: d10
{table=head]Level |BAB |Fort |Ref |Will |Special
1 |+1 |+2 |+0 |+0 |Rex Mount, Rex Rider
2 |+2 |+3 |+0 |+0 |King Trample, King Shield
3 |+3 |+2 |+1 |+1 |Full Mounted Attack
4 |+4 |+4 |+1 |+1 |Tyrannosaur Torpedo
5 |+5 |+4 |+1 |+1 |King of the Lizards[/table]
Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points per level: 2 + Int modifier

Rex Mount (Ex): At 1st level, a rex rider gains the loyal companionship of a massive tyrannosaurus rex. This creature shows up within 24 hours of the rex rider gaining his first class level, probably causing quite a stir if the rider is in an urban area. The tyrannosaur is completely typical for its kind, except as noted on the table below.

Rex Rider (Ex): The rex rider adds twice his class level to Ride checks and Handle Animal checks involving his tyrannosaur companion.

King Trample (Ex): At 2nd level, you gain Trample a bonus feat. The tyrannosaur gains one attack against the knocked down target (3d6+Str modifier of bludgeoning damage). Additionally, the knocked down target is so thoroughly flattened that it takes a full-round action to get on its feet, instead of a move action.

King Shield (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, you can make a Ride check after any attack that successfully strikes your tyrannosaur mount, in an attempt to negate the hit on your tyrannosaur. In addition, once per round, your tyrannosaur mount gains a free bite attempt against any creature that fails to strike it because of this ability.

Full Mounted Attack (Ex): At 3rd level and higher, you can make a full attack when your tyrannosaur mount moves more than 5 feet but no farther than its speed as a single move action. You cannot combine this full attack with a charge action.

Tyrannosaur Torpedo (Ex): Beginning at 4th level, a rex rider can lead his mount into a long jump during a charge. The tyrannosaur makes a jump check, and if the result is enough to send the tyrannosaur 30 feet or farther, it gains a free bite attack against the target of the charge (the +2 bonus on the attack roll applies). If the attack hits, the tyrannosaur does an extra 5d6 points of damage, but is prone at the end of the round.

King of the Lizards (Ex): At 5th level, the bond between the tyrannosaur and the rex rider is so strong that they can share in each other’s abilities and knowledge. The tyrannosaur can use any combat feats the rex rider has (such as Power Attack, or Combat Expertise), even if the tyrannosaur does not meet the prerequisites. The rex rider gains Low-light vision, as well as the Scent special quality.

{table=Head]Level |Bonus HD |Str Adj. |Nat. Arm. Adj. |Special
1 |+0 |+1 |+2 |Skill Synergy, War Bred
2 |+1 |+2 |+4 |Speed Bonus +10 feet
3 |+2 |+3 |+6 |Wounding Bite
4 |+2 |+4 |+8 |Speed Bonus +20 feet
5 |+3 |+5 |+10 |Exotic Armor Proficiency[/table]
Level: The rex rider’s class level.
Bonus HD: Bonus Hit Dice added to the Tyrannosaur’s Hit Dice.
Str Adj.: Bonus added to the tyrannosaur’s Strength score.

Skill Synergy: The tyrannosaur uses the rex rider’s ranks in Climb, Jump, and Swim checks, but uses its own Strength modifier.
War Bred: The tyrannosaur gains proficiency with Light, Medium, and Heavy Armor.
Speed Bonus: The tyrannosaur’s speed increases by 10 feet. At 4th level it increases by another 10 feet.
Wounding Bite: Any creature hit by the tyrannosaur’s bite attack takes 1 point of Con damage. Multiple hits stack.
Exotic Armor Proficiency: The tyrannosaur becomes proficient with Exotic Armor, such as mammoth armor, battle plate, and mountain plate.

Paladin Rex Riders: Paladins that become rex riders may spend time in a day-long ritual, converting the tyrannosaur companion into his paladin special mount. The tyrannosaur gains the Celestial Template, and gains all the features of a paladin’s special mount in place of the normal advancement detailed above. Paladin levels and rex rider levels stack for this purpose. The paladin may call his celestial tyrannosaur from the planar realms in which it resides.

Hairb
2008-09-06, 10:49 AM
Monumental. Humbling. Cyclopean in scale. This enthuses me.
EDIT: On the other hand, some sort of background or story achievement should be a prerequisite.

Debihuman
2008-09-06, 05:45 PM
Does this class use a D10 like the Ashworm Dragoon? You left that out.

Debby

Xallace
2008-09-07, 07:32 AM
Does this class use a D10 like the Ashworm Dragoon? You left that out.

Debby

You're right, I did! d10 indeed, I'll go fix that now.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-07, 09:08 AM
Here are some images that illustrate what such a character would look like (warning: some images are large, & so will take awhile to load):
http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/JuskoHellrider.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NxXCjp17ZtM/RsJPqpTFm9I/AAAAAAAAAmw/auJXZFwLgEE/DSCN1490.JPG
http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/jesus-dinosaur.jpg

Xallace
2008-09-08, 08:40 AM
Here are some images that illustrate what such a character would look like (warning: some images are large, & so will take awhile to load):
http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/JuskoHellrider.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NxXCjp17ZtM/RsJPqpTFm9I/AAAAAAAAAmw/auJXZFwLgEE/DSCN1490.JPG
http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/jesus-dinosaur.jpg

Triple the size of the dinosaur and you're about right.
I'm glad to see some folks enjoy this class; although I'm still trying to figure out if it's too under- or over-powered for the level range.

Debihuman
2008-09-08, 09:10 AM
This wouldn't be bad for a Lost World game or something along those lines, but I just can't see a T-Rex having the sort of disposition necessary for riding it.

I can just imagine the guy who wrote the manual on "The Care and Feeding of the T-Rex" with such gems as:
Make sure your T-Rex is well-fed so it won't ever want to eat you. Becoming a cattle rancher for this express purpose might be helpful if you wish to remain a T-Rex rider, but it guarantees that's you'll be on the verge of bankruptcy after every T-Rex meal. That's a lot of cows in one year. Also, if cows are plentiful your T-Rex will only eat the good parts and leave the remains to rot. They are not usually so picky in the wild but domesticated T-Rex can be finicky. The smell also tends to attract wandering monsters. Occasionally, this leads to ghostly cow hauntings. They are not particularly dangerous but the incessant mooing has been known to cause insanity.

Proper Sanitation: T-Rex are not capable of being housetrained. Do not leave your T-Rex unattended in enclosed environments as nothing good can come of this. Furthermore, the stench of T-Rex poo is a favorite of the otyugh and may lead to an outbreak of filth fever.

Don't say you weren't warned! :biggrin:

On a more serious note, the King of Lizards ability should have a distance limit. I'm not sure gaining any of the T-Rex's abilities is actually useful for the rider. The T-Rex can't really gain all the knowledge that its rider has [as an Animal it probably has an Int of 2] unless the T-Rex becomes a Magical Beast like a familiar. This, however, has great potential for abuse and misuse as having intelligent dinosuars changes the tone of the game.

Debby

lord of kobolds
2008-09-08, 04:38 PM
This, however, has great potential for abuse and misuse as having intelligent dinosuars changes the tone of the game.

Debby

Oh gods, it's Barney!!!:smalleek:

Xallace
2008-09-08, 08:50 PM
This wouldn't be bad for a Lost World game or something along those lines, but I just can't see a T-Rex having the sort of disposition necessary for riding it.

Yeah, it's silly. But I didn't design this class with "dramatic storytelling" in mind.

...On a more serious note, the King of Lizards ability should have a distance limit. I'm not sure gaining any of the T-Rex's abilities is actually useful for the rider...

I've been thinking about that, it is a kinda lame capstone ability. Any suggestions for a better one?

Oh gods, it's Barney!!!

I wasn't aware adding the celestial template turned you anthropomorphic and purple and a lover of hugs. I suppose it would fit a paladin, though.