PDA

View Full Version : Afro Samurai : Ressurection

TSGames
2008-09-06, 08:31 PM
http://www.afrosamurai.com/

Who else, is really freakin' excited? :D

FoE
2008-09-06, 09:34 PM
The first series was OK. The story was as light as a feather and it relied a bit too much on Applied Phlebotinum. (What exactly was the significance of the headbands again ....?) But the fight scenes were impressive, except for the final fight between Justice and Afro. It was pretty anticlimatic after that epic battle between Jinno (the guy with the teddy bear head) and Afro. Actually, that was kind of the series' high point, since Jinno was the most sympathetic character. Also, they went with the "Evil Twin" angle a bit early.

Hmmm ... after watching the trailer, it seems the new series seems to be dialing up the T&A a bit. :smalltongue:

TSGames
2008-09-08, 03:59 PM
The first series was OK. The story was as light as a feather and it relied a bit too much on Applied Phlebotinum. (

Yea... because the headbands were totally Applied Phlebotinum (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AppliedPhlebotinum), and not y'know just part of the setting.

FoE
2008-09-08, 04:33 PM
But what were their purpose? I know that only the person who possessed the No. 2 headband could face the No. 1 headband, which everyone wanted. But why? Why would anyone want to possess the No. 1 headband? There was some vague reference to incredible power, and that was about it. It's not like possessing the No. 1 headband gave Justice a bunch of incredible powers. Really, the headbands were just an excuse to get a lot of people to try and kill Afro Samurai.

darkblade
2008-09-08, 06:29 PM
I always thought that show was some unholy fusion between Samurai Jack and The Boondocks.

tyckspoon
2008-09-08, 07:48 PM
But what were their purpose? I know that only the person who possessed the No. 2 headband could face the No. 1 headband, which everyone wanted. But why? Why would anyone want to possess the No. 1 headband? There was some vague reference to incredible power, and that was about it. It's not like possessing the No. 1 headband gave Justice a bunch of incredible powers. Really, the headbands were just an excuse to get a lot of people to try and kill Afro Samurai.

Nothing more than prestige, I believe. It's not that being No. 1 grants power; rather, the one who wishes to achieve the position of No. 1 must have incredible power already. It says "In this world of superpowered martial artists, mad science, and magic, I am more badass than everybody else. Respect me." It's the same reason athletes attempt to win the top title in their sport.

Plus No. 1 gets to have a decently quiet and settled life, because of the accepted honor code that says only No. 2 can fight him. No. 2 gets to deal with all the glory-seekers that would otherwise be gunning for No. 1. Gets you out of the day-to-day contests.

Dode
2008-09-08, 08:09 PM
Hmmm ... after watching the trailer, it seems the new series seems to be dialing up the T&A a bit. :smalltongue:
but will this new addition make the sequel fall short of the incredible storytelling and intellectual quality that the first Afro Samurai achieved?

TheThan
2008-09-08, 08:22 PM
I failed to catch it spike TV so I might just have to go ahead and YouTube it.

FoE
2008-09-09, 01:23 AM
but will this new addition make the sequel fall short of the incredible storytelling and intellectual quality that the first Afro Samurai achieved?

Oh snap. :smalltongue:

You hit the nail on the head, brudda. Great action scenes, but the story was razor-thin. The only likeable character who felt "whole" to me was the guy in the teddy bear head.

Jerthanis
2008-09-09, 01:44 AM
A friend of mine said that Afro Samurai is what happens when you make an animation flipbook out of thousand dollar bills.

It looks amazing, but there's really nothing there. It's the most entertaining, fun, beautiful looking, well made show that I ever said upon completing, "I want those hours of my life back."