PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Some iconic Spells:

Arakune
2008-09-06, 09:10 PM
The current list of iconic spells:

Haste

Haste, Wizard Utility 6
You use your powers to warp the reflexes and speed of your allies.
Daily ✦ Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Range 10
Target: You or single ally
Effect: The target increase it's speed by 2 and gains a power bonus of +2 to his reflex defense until the end of your turn.
Sustain Minor: The the effect persists.

Mass Haste, Wizard Utility 22
Standard Action Close burst 5
Target: You and each ally in burst
Effect: All targets increase it's speed by 2 and gains a power bonus of +2 to his reflex defense until the end of your turn.
Sustain Minor: The the effect persists.

Knaight
2008-09-06, 09:11 PM
Haste is a bit low level. That said, lets see grease.

Arakune
2008-09-06, 09:16 PM
Haste is a bit low level. That said, lets see grease.

Dunno, the original haste did wonders damage and utility wise, plus the overall power of all spells kind of decreased. Should I lower the power level or strengthen this power?

Knaight
2008-09-06, 09:18 PM
Its too low level. As in too powerful for its level, way beyond what else is avaliable at level 6.

Baron Corm
2008-09-06, 10:44 PM
You're right, the 3.0 haste was quite powerful and versatile, and I think it should remain that way, I really liked it. Bump the level into the 10-20-somethings, and allow them to use any two standard actions with a single standard action for 1 round, but drop the sustain (in addition to Reflex and speed of course). I believe that's similar to how they worked invisibility (I'm still sort of new to 4e).

NecroRebel
2008-09-06, 11:01 PM
Actually, Invisibility as is is a level 6 Wizard daily utility, single-target, sustain standard. It's still pretty powerful as is.

This version of Haste is quite powerful, though. I'd say bump it up to level 10, make it last until the end of the encounter, and make it daily, not encounter. This brings it just about in line with another Wiz 10 utility, Blur, which gives +2 to all defenses and prevents enemies from seeing you from 5 or more squares away.

In contrast, this is +2 to one defense, extra speed, and essentially a free weak standard action per round. Since action economy is huge in 4E, the "free weak standard action" is a big bonus.

Oh... As is, this doesn't hit you. Did you intend for it to exclude the caster, or not? If not, you should change the target line to "You and allies in burst."

Arakune
2008-09-07, 08:31 AM
Changed things.

I wanted this to still be at 6th level to not compete with blur, and the encounter thing was a problem from the copy-paste I did.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-07, 10:30 AM
IMHO it is still much to powerful to be a level 6 spell.
Also, Imagine this: An Archmage takes Haste as his Archspell. Each encounter, the party starts within 2 squares of their caster. Haste is applied at the start. They are all perpetually hastened. This is not quite as good as, say, perpetually allowing everyone to fly, making an extra dimensional mansion every 5 minutes or being perpetually invisible or Stonskinned, but it is still extremely powerful. Perhaps, make it same level as Stoneskin (whatever that is) and make it target one person?

Yakk
2008-09-07, 02:28 PM
Haste, Wizard Utility 6
Standard Action Area close burst 2
Target: Each ally in burst
Effect: The target gains a power bonus of +2 to his reflex defense, a power bonus of +1 to his speed and it may make one basic meele or basic ranged attack after using one power to attack, he can make only one such attack per turn. It effects last until the end of encounter.

An extra basic attack per round? That's very powerful: epic-level. For your entire party? For an entire combat?

Look at the Dancing Weapon. Your power does more than this, to an entire party.

As written, it does an extremely large amount of damage. Much like Fighter stances, it might be an attack power.

Arakune
2008-09-07, 02:42 PM
An extra basic attack per round? That's very powerful: epic-level. For your entire party? For an entire combat?

Look at the Dancing Weapon. Your power does more than this, to an entire party.

As written, it does an extremely large amount of damage. Much like Fighter stances, it might be an attack power.

Hum... didn't knew that. Okay, last take. Now you need to spend a move action to sustain it.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-07, 02:48 PM
Hum... didn't knew that. Okay, last take. Now you need to spend a move action to sustain it.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the, well, speed bonus? I think make it a daily, sustain minor, lasts until end of next turn unless sustained. Also, allies have to be 2 squares or less away from you to benefit from it (i.e. it is being recast every time you sustain it). So as long as the Wizard spends his minor actions on it and the party stays as one, the bonus could last the entire encounter. Chances are though, in a party of 5+, you won't all be clustered so close to the wizard. Otherwise he can't do things like Thunderwave w/o hitting allies too. This way it could probably stay a level 6 power.

Arakune
2008-09-07, 03:13 PM
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the, well, speed bonus? I think make it a daily, sustain minor, lasts until end of next turn unless sustained. Also, allies have to be 2 squares or less away from you to benefit from it (i.e. it is being recast every time you sustain it). So as long as the Wizard spends his minor actions on it and the party stays as one, the bonus could last the entire encounter. Chances are though, in a party of 5+, you won't all be clustered so close to the wizard. Otherwise he can't do things like Thunderwave w/o hitting allies too. This way it could probably stay a level 6 power.

Good one. Mind if i steal it?

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-07, 03:30 PM
Good one. Mind if i steal it?

No problem.

I didn't play 3.Xe, so i'm not sure the name, but do you want to try that spell that makes enemies sing/laugh uncontrollably next?

Yakk
2008-09-07, 04:16 PM
What about breaking it up?

Feet of Wind that increases movement by +1 power bonus and reflex defense by +2 power bonus, Burst 5 Aura, and is level 6-ish. Sustain minor.

Haste, at level 22ish, which states "once per turn, the enchanted creature may make a basic attack as a free reaction to hitting a target", plus the Feet of Wind effect. Burst 5, allies in burst, sustain move.

Because, as mentioned before, a +1 basic attack per round on 5 players is 5 basic attacks per round. Over a 6 round fight, that's 30 basic attacks. The power of a typical encounter power is 2 basic attacks, and a daily about 3 to 4 basic attacks.

Basically, the power you describe is about 10 times too strong.

Hell, at level 22, it probably is way too strong.

KKL
2008-09-07, 06:04 PM
that spell that makes enemies sing/laugh uncontrollably next?

Tasha's Hideous Laughter I beleive. I know there's an Otto's Irresitable Dance, but nothing about singing.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-07, 06:39 PM
Tasha's Hideous Laughter I beleive. I know there's an Otto's Irresitable Dance, but nothing about singing.

Its the dance one that popped into my mind, actually.

Also, Yakk, I think its pretty balanced now. They have to remain within 2 sqaures of you to benefit from it. So if they take full advatage of the speed boost, they're probably outrunning it. And if they take full advantage of the bonus attacks, they're setting the party up AOE attacks and screwing with the wizard's ability to use anything but Ray of Frost and Magic Missile (among others)

Yakk
2008-09-07, 07:12 PM
With a mere 2 people, plus the Wizard, in the area, over a 6 round combat, that is 18[W]+18*(Implement + Stat) total attack.

At level 21+, it's up to 36[W]+18(Implement+Stat) total attack.

I am not even talking about the kick-ass +2 power boost to footspeed for the entire encounter -- I'm just talking about the ridiculous amounts of damage that this spell generates.

If you think the spell as written is balanced against other level 6 utility powers, I have a bridge to sell you. It is, I suspect, the single most damaging non-infinite-damage-combo power in 4e, even with a mere 2 allies nearby. With a full 4 allies nearby, it gets more powerful.

You can write a haste-like spell that isn't bad.

Flurry of Speed:
Aura 5, until end of the next turn.
Allies within the Aura can use the following power:
Flurry of Attacks + Enchantment Attack Power
Standard Action + At Will (special)
Effect: Make two basic attacks against two different targets, optionally shifting 1 square between the attacks.
Special: This power cannot be used in place of a basic attack, regardless of what another power says.

Haste:
Aura 5, until end of the next turn.
Sustain Move
Allies within the Aura gain a +1 power bonus to their speed.
Allies within the Aura gain a +2 power bonus to their reflex defense.
Allies within the Aura can use the following power:
Flurry of Attacks + Enchantment Attack Power
Standard Action + At Will (special)
Effect: Make two basic attacks against two different targets, optionally shifting 1 square between the attacks.
Special: This power cannot be used in place of a basic attack, regardless of what another power says.

That is a tiny bit more under control, but still ... could be too good.

Both of the above spells are attack powers, as their primary purpose is to deal damage, not utility powers.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-09-07, 07:13 PM
I want to see a Charm Person spell.

Zocelot
2008-09-07, 08:24 PM
Make it affect enemies as well.

Arakune
2008-09-08, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I got it Yakk. You was quite persuasive.

Now let me see the bridge, I need one to drop it in the head of someone.