PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for board feature

Morden
2006-05-24, 03:52 PM
How about a button that takes you to the first new post in a thread?
I'm getting tired of scrolling to the bottom. :)

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 04:03 PM
I know phpBB has that...

Of course, YaBB seems to have features that phpBB doesn't.

It would be a nice feature, though.

ed
2006-05-24, 04:07 PM
hey tinsoldier: since this forum is the first time i've used a yaBB-based forum and as you can see from my profile i'm pretty new here, could you give a quick summary of different features?

ed

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 04:18 PM
hey tinsoldier: since this forum is the first time i've used a yaBB-based forum and as you can see from my profile i'm pretty new here, could you give a quick summary of different features?

edUmm, I'll try. This is the only place I've used it as well.

The BBcode is pretty much the same as phpBB but I think it has a few more features (such as strikeout strikeout). The Guide to Message Board Codes (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1095036000) thread has a lot of the basics. I usually type my codes instead of using the toolbar. Except for smileys.

The Profile page should be pretty self-explanatory. If you have your own image for your avatar you will have to host it yourself or at a service such as Photobucket.

That's about all I use. I find the 'New!' tags on active threads to be pretty useful as well as the Green Foot showing activity in a board.

That's really all I can think of. If you click on a user's name you get their profile with the option to see their recent posts as well as being able to PM them.

ed
2006-05-24, 04:21 PM
spiffy, thanks!

another difference: auto-population of the subject line. nice, that.

ed

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 04:24 PM
spiffy, thanks!

another difference: auto-population of the subject line. nice, that.

edYeah, but I usually miss it when someone changes the subject mid-thread...

Corylus
2006-05-24, 04:24 PM
I've been looking for and not finding a 'find all posts by...' search option.

Ineptitude on my part or simple nonexistence?

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 04:27 PM

Ineptitude on my part or simple nonexistence?Click on the user's name and it should show the profile. At the bottom it should say "Show the last 10 posts of this person. Go"

Drop down the 10 to "All" or whatever and press "Go"

NEO|Phyte
2006-05-24, 04:28 PM

Ineptitude on my part or simple nonexistence?
click into the users profile page, there should be a "find the last X posts by this user" option, where x is a combobox

:edit: simu'd D=

RawBearNYC
2006-05-24, 04:52 PM
How about a button that takes you to the first new post in a thread?
I'm getting tired of scrolling to the bottom. :)

That feature doesn't exist. The "new" tracking information is inefficiently handled in the yabb software as it stands. It's too much to expect it to know what the new posts actually are.

Morden
2006-05-24, 04:54 PM
Ah, well, it was just a suggestion.