PDA

View Full Version : Poisondusk; Monk, Ninja, Rogue, Scout or Ranger?

JellyPooga
2008-09-07, 01:03 PM
Looking at the Poisondusk Lizardfolk racial features, their Chameleonic ability only works when they're not wearing armour, robes or covering clothing. The obvious thought is to make them a Monk or Ninja (at least of 1st level) to get Wis to AC. Given that their Favoured Class is Ranger, I thought a Monk/Ranger combo might be appropriate (Wis benefits both Monk and Ranger abilities after all)...there would also be the option of taking the Ascetic Hunter feat to stack Monk and Ranger for Unarmed damage and give a bonus to Stunning Fist DC.

That's where my problem started...Thinking about stacking Monk and Ranger led me to think about stacking Monk and/or Ranger with something else. For instance, Swift Hunter would let me stack Scout into the equation for Skirmish. Searching out other options led me to Swift Ambusher (Scout/Rogue), Ascetic Stalker (Monk/Ninja) and Ascetic Rogue (Monk/Rogue)...there were others, but I definitely didn't want Paladin, Fighter or Swashbuckler as they didn't fit the theme I had in mind (too fight-y, not enough stealth-y).

So, my question is this: What combination of Classes and 'stacker' Feats would work well...pretty much any of Monk, Ninja, Rogue, Scout or Ranger fits the character concept I have in mind...and I wanted to steer away from Prestige Classes (mostly as an experiment in character design as anything else).

One thing to bear in mind is that I theoretically want to play this character from 1st level, so Multiclassing XP Penalties are something to avoid. Another is the Monk restriction on Multiclassing.

Uber-Optimisation is not necessary (oh and ToB is not an option).

Any help would be appreciated.

Flickerdart
2008-09-07, 01:11 PM
Monk, as we all know, is a poor class to use outside of a tiny dip, which is probably what you'll end up with. Ninja and Ranger aren't very strong either, but you did say optimization isn't necessary...
However, there's a homebrewed feat somewhere on these boards, Vow of Nudity, that you may get some mileage with. :smallwink:

Ascension
2008-09-07, 01:14 PM
I can't recall what book it's in, but there's actually a not-bad monk/ranger prestige class called Fist of the Forest. I'd be tempted to dip monk, then go ranger with the ascetic hunter feat and then try to go into FotF.

playswithfire
2008-09-07, 02:13 PM
Fist of the Forest is in complete champion; 3 levels long; gives CON to AC unarmored, adds about 8 levels to monk unarmed strike damage and gives a sort of defensive rage. Also, scent I think. Full BAB, d10? I think.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-07, 05:01 PM
Start with 2 levels of Ranger for max hit points and skill points and take two-weapon fighting. Then 2 levels of Monk, which gives you pretty much everything useful that Monk has. Then a couple more levels of Ranger, then all levels of Fist of the Forest. Then go back to Ranger. You'll have lots of attacks from TWF and Flurry of Blows, high enough BAB that a lot of them will hit, you'll deal a lot of damage when they do, and you'll be pretty tough.

Talic
2008-09-07, 11:31 PM
I'ma lean towards monk rogue.

4 levels monk. Normally, I would only suggest 3 (improved movement speed), however, level 4 gives +1 BAB, +1 to all saves, and slow fall. The unarmed strike damage boost isn't so important, due to ascetic rogue.

Take Ascetic rogue at level 1, and that opens up rogue 1 at level 5. Now we get 1d8 damage base on an unarmed strike, with a +3d6 damage sneak attack.

Not stellar, but it emphasizes stealth, and still gets decent damage. With a 14 str, you're looking at 17 damage on the average sneak, with a shot at stun, which opens up the followup attacks to be flurried for sneak attack.

If you add in a little more str, you may go scorpion's grasp (sandstorm) and improved grapple at level 2, though I think that'll be a bit less effective. However, it would net you a bit more damage on an attack.