PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Human With An Alien's Mind

Leliel
2008-09-07, 04:32 PM
Well, after reading Stephenie Meyer's The Host, I thought it would be intresting to play a Soul, the alien race that gives the book it's name-see "Goa'uld" for an adicuate comparasion, but imagine them with human emotions-since the Souls use the brains of those they infest to think, they think like their host would.

To realize my dream in D&D, I decided to create Joshua Cullen-functionally, he's a human Warlock, but his personality-everything, his memories, his attiude, his bravery-is actually that of the silver centipede living in his neck. As far as Souls go, he's very young, having only lived out one life as a member of a short-lived arachnoid speicies before coming to the world as a scout for a possible full colonization project. Secretly, he's beginning to like humans, both the good and the bad. Like most souls, he actually abhors violence and is very alturistic, although you wouldn't know that from the way he fights-dirty, although he tries to avoid killing sentient creatures, just disabling them.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-07, 04:40 PM
Altruistic and abhors violence, but takes over a sentient human as a host? Does not compute. Unless there's something I'm missing here.

Apart from that, interesting character concept.

Lycan 01
2008-09-07, 04:42 PM
Call of Cthulhu uses this idea on occassion. Dunno what the mechanics are for possession of a player, but sometimes NPCs are possessed by the time travelling minds of the Great Race of Yith... They don't do anything evil; they just moniter humanity, study our ways, and simply quest for knowledge. IIRC, at least...

Leliel
2008-09-07, 04:44 PM
Altruistic and abhors violence, but takes over a sentient human as a host? Does not compute.

That's one of the subplots of the novel: Just how different the Souls personality is from their actions.

That's why I plan for him to eventually go native and decides he likes humans the way they are-sans Souls.

Flickerdart
2008-09-07, 04:48 PM
Savage Species has rules for a symbiote character, composed of a host and a "guest", much like what you have. Those could come in handy.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-07, 04:49 PM
That's one of the subplots of the novel: Just how different the Souls personality is from their actions.

That's why I plan for him to eventually go native and decides he likes humans the way they are-sans Souls.

In that case, refer to the part of my previous post I edited in. Which edition is this for, out of curiosity? In any case, as long as your DM agrees, you've got a lot of interesting roleplaying opportunities here. Do you want your companions to know that you're not human?

Leliel
2008-09-07, 04:52 PM
In that case, refer to the part of my previous post I edited in. Which edition is this for, out of curiosity? In any case, as long as your DM agrees, you've got a lot of interesting roleplaying opportunities here. Do you want your companions to know that you're not human?

4E, and although he keeps his nature a secret intially, it is inevitable that the other PCs will find out, so I'll tell them OOC.