PDA

View Full Version : Iron Heroes - Advice Needed

Nero24200
2008-09-07, 05:08 PM
Hello all

After watching the 13th warrior again my group is discussing the possibility of an Iron Heroes campaign. Having read the book and loved a few of the ideas in it I'm considering being the DM for said campaign, though a few questions spring to mind.

1) Any obvious traps I should watch for? Do any particular classes outshine the rest? (Note, since we're going for a very low magic campaign none of the players intend to play an Arcanist, though what classes they intend to use are still undecided).

2) How well do non-human races function? As it stands it strikes me that the book was intended for all PC's to be human. Do non-human races function well mechanically against non-humans? If not, which ones in particular should be avoided?

3) What effects to avoid? I'm likely to still use a fair portion of Monster Manual creatures. I know that since PC's have no access to spells or magic items which can block certain effects (such as Death Ward) that certain monster abilities may be too much. Should I avoid monsters with magical abilities all together or are some viable even without magical protection?

ShaggyMarco
2008-09-07, 06:26 PM
You'll find IH characters have much higher defenses acrosss the board, so monster with effects that target saves, even if they are pretty gross abilities, should be okay, so long as you are willing to have a player have a small chance of being screwed up. Monsters with powers that don't allow a save should be avoided--saves are THE defense that IH have.

Be sure to use the IH Player's Guide. It really enhances the fun of the game. Also, on the IH boards there is a draft armiger revision class. Use that instead of the regular Armiger because the armiger has lots of trouble doing what it is supposed to do as written in my experience. Blowing a standard action to use an ability that may or may not be triggered is a massive waste of time. The revision fixes this.

Hurlbut
2008-09-07, 09:06 PM
2) How well do non-human races function? As it stands it strikes me that the book was intended for all PC's to be human. Do non-human races function well mechanically against non-humans? If not, which ones in particular should be avoided?

3) What effects to avoid? I'm likely to still use a fair portion of Monster Manual creatures. I know that since PC's have no access to spells or magic items which can block certain effects (such as Death Ward) that certain monster abilities may be too much. Should I avoid monsters with magical abilities all together or are some viable even without magical protection?
2. Any LA +0 race with little or no spelllike ability works. Remember that they already have their own racial traits, they do not get any bonus trait like Human does. Human get two bonus traits while losing their bonus feat and skill points.

3. Look up Iron Heroes Bestiary, it will help you out. If you can't find any other IH sourcebook, give me a PM and I'll direct you to some.

ShaggyMarco: Don't forgot that when you are importing a D&D monster/spell effect to IH, the DC have to be increased by 2 to account for the high saving throws.